• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 02:53 AM

(Oops only now i noticed that the topic's name is wrong... it was supposed to be 'Racing Setup'.. oops)
I'm curious about everybody else's setup... what computer they use... their wheel and pedal setup and so on

I'll start with mine:

Playseat Challenge seat with a shifter attached to it via a modified Garmin GPS mount.

Steering wheel base: T300
Pedals: T3PA modified with custom springs
Dashboard: SRH (Sim Racing Hardware) T300 dash
Tacho: Renovatio SRD 4C (only used in other sims and currently not being used much since i'm transitioning to more and more VR racing)
Wheels: Ferrari GTE rim, 28 GT Leather rim (shown in the picture) and Ferrari F1 rim for open wheel racing
Not show on picture: my desk.. i had to place my seat it elsewhere to take a clear picture. I'm using a 24" 1080P display.
PC: Intel NUC Skull Canyon
CPU: i7-6770HQ 2.6 ghz base, 3.5 Turbo Quadcore 8 thread
RAM: 8GB RAM
HDD: 500GB M.2 main SSD and 1TB M.2 secondary SSD
GPU: External AORUS GTX 1070 Gaming Box
Posted Image

Edited by MK3424, 15 May 2018 - 04:08 PM.

#2 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 07:23 AM

Seven years ago when I built my driving rig, I started this thread.

My homemade creation is still going strong and serving me well. It will certainly last longer than I will, and be easier to fix when it breaks!

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 15 May 2018 - 09:49 AM.

#3 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 328 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 09:37 AM

Oh dear, here goes, my not so sophisticated but trusty rig. The G25 is now well over 10 years old surely but still works ok, just the gear lever got chewed on my my now long deceased dog when I still lived in Apeldoorn with my dad. Its still on the left hand position for me, being used to it since 2001 when I started to focus on driving the green tank :D It just never broke down since then, although there have been phases of little use it's done quite a few sim miles, mostly just GPL, and a bit of iRacing when having a phase of more free time, since buying a new iMac Retina 27" with the best vid card one could stuff into this in early 2016 :)

When actually racing I use headphones, some quality Sennheiser sound which is great for mid tone detail and finesse.

Attached Files

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 15 May 2018 - 09:38 AM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:00 AM

All right, then. My rig. I'm going way to overly detailed on this.

Desk:
Spoiler

PC specs:
Spoiler

Rig:
Spoiler

Attached Files

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 15 May 2018 - 10:01 AM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 583 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 10:33 AM

I use a corner of the office my wife and I have at our home in Maryland. It's an Ikea desk, an eight year-old Win7 HP desktop, and MS wheel and pedals. The ear buds are to keep from driving her insane. The chair is a five-caster office model with brakes that I can lock down to keep from rolling around on the lexan floor mat. If you're trying to keep your racing hardware budget under $350, this is the way to do it.  :)

The lamp is probably the most valuable thing in the entire office. It was a gift from a machinist friend of mine years ago, made entirely of parts from a 1981 BMW R80G/S motorcycle --- valve cover, crankshaft, valve springs, flywheel, and valves.

Attached Files

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 15 May 2018 - 02:13 PM.

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,641 posts

Posted 15 May 2018 - 11:26 AM

Pepe.. rotating should be easy enough-
double click on the image (where ever it is on your system) and it should open with your default viewer. regardless of which, there should be an 'edit' feature, one being 'rotate image'
.... or i can do it for you :)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 May 2018 - 12:47 PM

Attached File  22788654_953310771492721_6376071311800883729_n.jpg   89.36K   57 downloads

@ Heusinkveld's

Some older pictures (my phone camera doesn't work properly). Right now have a G25 wheel and pedals, wheel in good shape, pedals were unused. Also I have 16:10 21" sidemonitors now (instead of the featured 19") combined with my 16:9 24" main monitor.

Attached File  IMG_20161118_2331431.jpg   89.47K   67 downloads
Attached File  IMG_20170614_132802.jpg   77.08K   56 downloads

PS: nice picture Michiel, with your son :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 15 May 2018 - 12:56 PM.

#8 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 328 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 09:03 AM

Nice setup Rob, and creative use of old discs :D !  I will first move to a bigger place later this year. hopefully with time some of daddy's wishes come true, it will be either a new photo camera to replace my 10 year old one, or investing in something like this. Time will tell :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#9 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 02:15 PM

Hello .

Here is the "wheel" : it's a logitech dual action game pad .  Note , the seat is comfortable... :bigsmile:

Posted Image

And the PC :  It's a fujitsu / intel pentium dual CPU E 2180 @ 2,00 GHz / RAM 1,75 Go / Nvidia GeForce 7100/NVIDIAnForce 630i (it's a chipset on the mainboard) / windows7 32 bits .

Posted Image

Don't be jealous please , a G25 or G27 will come soon.... :afro:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 June 2018 - 05:11 PM

I don't know how people drive arcade style sims with those things, let alone GPL. Respect!

Andrew

#11 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,345 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 08:46 AM

wow
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#12 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 03:14 AM

Hello friends .
I got a second hand g25 wheel since yesterday...  Some questions :
are my settings correct ?
- car ( BRM aintreeR ) ; steering 8:1  ( was 15:1 with the gamepad)
  differential 60/45 ( was 45/60 with gpad )
-game settings : steering linearity ,  mainly on the left side ( approx a third on the left ) , was full at right with the gamepad .

I was in 1mn48 with the pad .  Difficult to maintain 1mn52 with the wheel : braking is senseless and when the rear end slide , impossible to correct quickly.

I don't ask "secrets" but if I'm in the wrong way somewhere .  Thank you .

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,979 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 August 2018 - 04:52 AM

If you use 8:1 steering I recommend setting 540 degrees in Logitech Profiler. Differential is personal, as is linearity (I use 100% linearity, slider to the max left).

Maybe try more brakebias if the rear catches you while braking, or use a bit of throttle under braking stabilizing the car. Not sure if you're right foot braking, then for sure more brakebias. You need to train your feet to become really sensitive in GPL!

Also give it some time and try to find gamesettings you like. Good luck Francois!

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 August 2018 - 04:53 AM.

#14 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 08:07 AM

I agree with Robert. The key interaction is how the available degrees of rotation in your steering wheel relates to the steering ratio in your setup. In my case, my wheel is always set for 540º of rotation, combined with steering ratios of 9:1 or 10:1 for road courses. For ovals, where finer steering control is required, I will use anything from 14:1 to 18:1. Linearity slider is always 100% to the left (full linear).

With my old setup, my wheel was restricted to 180º of rotation. I typically combined that with ratios of approximately 22:1, but the linearity slider had to be placed about 25% from the left edge or else I couldn't drive in a straight line. There certainly wasn't as much feel and the steering was more jittery and difficult to control. The G27's adjustable degrees of wheel rotation allows for more precise and more forgiving steering.

As a starting point, I would recommend 540º and 8, 9, or 10:1, with linearity slider to full linear. That feels natural to me, and to a lot of other guys who have posted on the topic to SRMZ. You can adjust from there. Ultimately, once you find a combination that feels reasonable to you, you will just need time to re-train your muscle memory.

Michael

#15 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 August 2018 - 06:03 AM

That's it :  540° is a great improvment .  Thanks guys !

Edited by Tomy AFX, 24 August 2018 - 06:03 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Rig, setup, wheel, pedals

Sim Racing Links