Zeltweg

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 530 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:09 AM

A race from hell for me.  I span so many times I literally lost count.  Had a few good laps of racing with Don, but ended up in last place.

#2 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:41 AM

Happy with my first finish !!!
I made poor qualif , 1 sec slower than in free training ( too much pressure ; heartbeat faster and hands shaking) .
A poor start too : A honda and a ferrari passed me .
First laps were cool then I made the big mistake : Less attention in the straight before the last turn and my left wheels passed behind the beginning of the guardrails .
I was stuck against the rail but the car still move . Unable to reach the pits , I continue like this till the end of the rail after the finish line .
Then the car was a bit insane but drivable . I maintain a 13th position then 12 th following a Lotus at distance .
Finishing 10th with a car in the mirrors during the last laps ...
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#3 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:50 AM

My sincere apologies to Bob H and Claudio for our contact.  I was really trying to get out of the way, Claudio.  :'(

Fun racing with Ronnie in the middle section of the race.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#4 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

In free practice, there didn't seem to be any problems: maybe a bit of lock-up at T3 and a lot of understeer at T4 and T5, but nothing much of note, letting me mark a dignified 1:51 with full tank.
In qualy? Hell broke loose: couldn't make a good lap even when putting everything on the line, spun every corner, oversteer every single time... so I qualified with 7 laps of fuel with a shameful 2:02, last on the grid.

I decided to play it on endurance and surprise, so I made a blistering start that allowed me to arrive at T1 in P12, in front of a BRM (AFX's): had a fine battle with him until L3, T2: nudged the brakes, the car locked up, took the curb, spun on the fucking apex and almost took half of the field with me. Then got rammed in the arse because why not.
The car seemed fine, but the patience was just gone: kept spinning and spinning and spinning, every single corner I looked like a ballerina, so I thought that a Shift-R in the pits could maybe be of use, maybe there was a problem around.
Nope.
Kept spinning.
And Spinning.
And Spinning.
And Spinning.

On L10, T3 I've spun again and decided to put an end to the fucking fiasco: I'm angry at myself, had a golden opportunity but fucked it up badly.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#5 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 45 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:00 AM

Poor practice for me, that's the result. Great fun anyway on this gorgeous track (now destroyed).
Congratulations to Bob Simpson for the win and to the podium

roberto

#6 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:25 AM

Unable to maintain a decent pace, kept on losing positions and making more mistakes...

At turn 2 i encountered a spun Ferrari that was stopped in the middle of the road after making a mistake, i went to the inside of the corner at reduced speed... and the the Ferrari moved and hit me head on... i think he had to retire... (by the way...shouldn't it be a rule when you are spun out and are standing still in the middle of the road... that you should wait untill others have passed.... untill you move away.... to prevent a head on collision with others?)

I reset the car at the pits and continued on..

After that... It was going more downhill...  I was so much off the pace, that i was becoming a hazard for the leaders when they are lapping... after making a massive mistake at turn 1 and lost a wheel.... i rest the car at the pits (i had one extra from the incident at montjuich) and retired, so that the others could race undisturbed...

Anyways.... at the start i saw a massive crash that involved a Honda flipping over several times..... did he managed to carry on?

Edited by MK3424, 12 May 2018 - 11:35 AM.

#7 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 11:39 AM

in practice i had done a 44.8... crazy, but sure, why not when you're by yourself and i knew that wouldn't happen with others on track.
and a good one going from my previous 45+ and first 2 sectors were BLUE (better) so i had high hopes.. then a slower car in front, failed to give and i was balked :(
too bad... had time for another go and was able to do a better 45, good enough for p5... but that 44 will haunt me a long time :P

so off we go and up front everyone is well behaved and tuck in nicely... i was trailing Mick's cooper
for some 15 laps and then i did a 360, but didn't touch anything and kept ahead of Tames cooper
another 10 laps of chasing Mick and increasing the gap to Tames, and backmarkers were most helpful, but still must be careful on overtaking... probably why i was able to keep Mick in sight - sorta :)
then a 2d 360.... but again, no contact and stayed ahead of Tames!  yay~!
as the laps got w/in 5 of end, i realized fuel was going to be close... do i stop? NO!
do i ease off and lose the position?
well... a little, but try not to lose the spot ;)

and last lap, last turn, the first sputter... but enough to hold on to p5  ... fun race!
grats to all (a lot) finishers ~

John for staying connected, and Claudio for not being crashed out ;)
SILvErSTonE!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#8 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:02 PM

This was a tough track for me, not giving me an inch at all during hours and hours of practice. I never did figure out the way to get through the left-hander (at the end of the 3rd sector) before heading into the chicane. But I slowly improved to the point where I did a 1:47+ yesterday and I knew I wouldn't get any better than that. I figured Bo would be getting the points for the team, so my goal was to finish and not beat the car senseless in the process.

After trouble logging on through IGOR I had just over 15 minutes of qualifying remaining. I reduced my fuel to five laps, turned a low 1:48, and called it a day. I was 8th on the grid of 19, with five guys behind me that have had no trouble pounding me in the past (Ronnie, Alain, Andrew, Francois, and Roberto). What the hell. Get through the first corner and hang on for dear life.

I had a good start, stayed out of trouble, didn't fight for any position, never hit a thing, and held off four of the five guys on the grid who'd worried me. I'll take that kind of finish, even losing a place to finish 9th, any day.

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,599 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:15 PM

I had a pretty god qualifying session except that I got in very few clean laps. There was quite a bit of traffic, but nothing too unusual. I got to within 0.4 of Hammonds and I had a better PB previously, but I ran out of time and fuel.

Starting from 2nd, I got a much better launch off the line and took the lead right away. I kept wondering if Hammonds was just patiently matching me or was he pushing hard at 1.5 seconds back? I stayed steady and with this being one of my very favourite tracks, I had no trouble keeping a reasonably fast pace with full tanks.

Around Lap 23, I was a bit out of control through Dr. Tiroch Kurve and spun, letting Navonne, who had by now gotten past Hammonds, into the lead. Lots of lapped traffic helped to keep the front three close, but around lap 28, Navonne had contact with a lapped car ahead and must have bent his car.  I got past soon after and stayed in the lead to the end.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:29 PM

Things were going to plan up until last weekend. For some reason I plateaued at 46 and so I tried out some other more risque setup changes and to my surprise my lap times grew by 1.5 seconds. They weren't recovering at all so I was forced to change my outlook and make a run for coins. To add to the confusion  I could only go faster on light fuel. The only other track that I've had that happen at  was Tandil. I know that is backwards to the rest of the world but adding it all up I was  pretty lost come race day.  I made sure to set my race fuel as a separate setup this time around. At least that worked. I still  managed to screw up my Q setup but that I could live with.

Going into Q I knew best case was behind Tames but I got nowhere near  any of those guys and mostly just stayed out of the way.

In the race I started decently from 11th first passing  Roberto and then Ronnie a couple of laps later and then Pepe let me by on the s/f. At that point I ran up to the back of Tim and figured I'd need to get by him quickly before he got bedded in. That never happened and I followed him for the rest of the race. I could get close but not really close enough. To do the kinds of moves I thought would work I would need to get a run on him but I didn't really back off enough to do that. After a while I started to drive like him  - always a strange sensation - but he always had the upper hand and positioned his car well enough to dissuade a move. There was one mistake in T1 that saw me get by before T2 but I then fluffed the lap and he got back by with a move into T1.  I was banking on him bouncing off the wall and when that didn't happen we ended up in the same bit of tarmac.  About 6 from the end I got sideways in the chicane and that was that until for some reason Tim stopped. I think it was that we were close to Simpson and so the flag was waving . I was counting down laps so I knew to keep going. It only really affects Tim and myself so I'd be cool with a count back if it was problem with iGOR etc.  On that last lap I knew Pepe was done and lapped so I went for a 46 but spun and got a slowest lap as consolation prize. Tim was fantastic to race against and I feel like I genuinely learned something about pacing one's self today. Coins are cool too!

Onto Pepe-land next. It was close getting on the grid today ( I waited 10 mins) and I imagine it will be harder still at the next one. If I have to sit out Silverstone that's no big deal since I don't like the place and its sacrifice might allow me to race Spa67, which I have yet to do. Failing that ,Brno is a long track and that may draw fewer, so I may reappear there.

See ya

#11 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 213 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 12:56 PM

Since the Pistons broke (must be the name) so many cars in the beginning of the season we ended up driving in the Cooper. Roy already told us that it wasn't a good car for this track. So I settled for 6th. If Bo would have spun once more or burned a bit more fuel more it could have been 5th, I ended up finishing 20 mtrs behind him.  
Kinda frustrating to see a car simply pull away on the straights when you're doing everything right. But glad I made only a few mistakes and kept the car in one piece. At least we collect some coins again, hopefully we can buy a better car in the not so far future. Great race from my perspective, all the lapped cars made good room to pass. Congrats to the podium, and thanks again Bo for keeping this great league alive.

See you guys in Silverstone

Edited by Tames, 13 May 2018 - 12:22 AM.

#12 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 219 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 12 May 2018 - 01:52 PM

Hi guys, well I really enjoyed today’s race, I think Andrew and myself had about 20 laps nose to tail, racing with him was just fantastic, a true gentleman racer,.

I tend not to push too hard in qualy, simply because I do not like taking risks, so the 1:48 I got was good enough for me.

At the start mine was not the best, from 8th Pepe came past, then later at the end of that lap I managed to retake, from there I seemed able to hold him at bay, then about lap 6 there was Andrew dehind me, so for the rest of the race we were going round together, he did get past going bown hill before the tight right hander, but I think he got a poor exit off the last turn and I managed to get up the rise before the first bend just in front, then with about 6 laps left he stumbled over something or other and was 200-300 yards back,from there it should have been easy to the end,,,,,,,,,BUT.     I noticed flags waving at the top of the hill and thinking the race was over I stopped.  DAM.   DAM.    DAM.

But the race with Andrew was worth every bit of fun and disappointed.

Won’t make Silverstone. Holiday calls.     Regards Tim

Edited by timbo, 12 May 2018 - 01:52 PM.

#13 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 12 May 2018 - 04:11 PM

Mixed emotions over this one for me..Qualifying went very well and although I had to disappear for around 15 mins leading up to the race no one was more surprised than me to find I was still at the top of the tree when I got back with about 2 minutes to go.

My start was as bad as Bobs was good, With the flag raised I noticed I was in 3rd not 1st and quickly shifted as the flag dropped but Bob was off like a rat up a drainpipe and beat me to T1. Settled in behind but had no answer to his straight line speed, I could claw some of the gap back through the turns but even when I was close coming onto the straights he just walked away. I knew he liked this track and it was going to take a mistake on his part to get the position back without a lunge somewhere. Meanwhile Claudio was sitting behind also looking for anything which he might capitalize on.

All was going well and I felt I could keep Bob honest and not let him relax. We came around to lap a few drivers and both filed through without incident until we came across Niky at the double left hander before Schikane, Bob passed and I followed but due to some mix up Niky and me collided at the 2nd part of the combination and I spun off onto the grass letting Bob get away, Claudio got though and Mick was also now showing an interest behind by the time I got it all back together.

Although the car felt fine everywhere else it didn't seem to want to turn right quite as well as before and it took a few runs onto the grass on the subsequent laps before I adjusted and was able to begin making progress of Claudio and Bob ahead although they were still several Hundred yds ahead.

Then I think Bob made a mistake letting Claudio through and I was back with Bob again. We both caught Claudio over the next few laps and Claudio made a mistake at T1 around Lap 28. Both Bob and me had the momentum to make the pass but only room for 1 car, I glanced right and found Bob had beaten me to it so had to slow and stay behind Claudio while watching Bob make full use of the Eagles grunt to quickly gap the pair of us. Next Lap Claudio was again a little slower than usual and I tried to out drag him down to T2 and out brake him into the corner. As we approached the turn I glanced left to check where he was. The end result was I did out brake him, I unfortunately also out braked myself, caught the grass and spun into the turn. Fortunately Claudio was paying attention and was able to pass on the inside while I was busy swapping ends. I was then hit by Ronnie (Sorry Ronnie). :( By the time I got it all pointed in the right direction Mick was back on my case and the remaining 5 laps or so were spent desperately trying to hang onto the final podium spot.

Congrats to Bob for a hard fought win and Claudio for taking 2nd.

Commiserations to all retirements.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#14 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 12 May 2018 - 05:29 PM

After 15 days of practice, today in the morning I found the correct sequence, for me to use the box in this beautiful circuit. First corner (Hella Kurve), stomp the brake, accommodate the car and travel in 5th to the Dr Tiroch Kurve (the T2), here braking deeper and lower to 4th, accelerate fully aiming the apex, the car is going to move out in any way, it does not matter the jump to the entrance of the back straight, the car is very hard of springs and I am accelerating in 4th, then 5th. In the kink before Bosch Kurve, a deep braking and go down to 3rd to make that curve. Then accelerate and change to 4th. Stop and go down to 3ra to go through that long bend of double apex (the most treacherous, the car wants to go to the grass at all times). 4th before the Schikane, 5th before the descent, violent braking and 4th to travel Rind Kurve.
I was able to qualify 4th, in the start I was able to overcome Mick (thanks for leaving me space !!). I was 3rd behind Bob and John, I realized I could stay close to them and the three of us walked away from Mick. On lap 12 John finds himself with a car that lost a lap before Schikane, they touch, and I'm 2nd. Bob did not get away from me, but if he did not make a mistake I do not think I could pass it to him, besides after two retirements, a position on the podium made me happy. But on lap 20 he made a slight mistake and I was ... first !!! 100% concentrated and repeating each lap the same. It was not going to be easy for Bob to pass me, until before Schikane (damned place?) I did not understand Don and we crashed (I hope Don you could follow the race). The suspension of the Ferrari was damaged, according to the GPLReplayAnalizer and the engine as well. The road holding was still good, but the engine had lost strength, it was not accelerating as before the crash, and it lost final speed. Bob could easily pass me and then before Dr Tiroch Kurve John tried. I gave him space, but I think he lost his braking reference. I was able to recover the 2nd place and I was able to take the Ferrari to 2nd place.
Congratulations to Bob for his deserved triumph and to John for his great race. And to all the participants my congratulations too. I understand that it is very difficult to leave place when they are losing a lap, in the internal sector until the Schikane there is only one line to transit, if you move from there it is highly probable that you will be part of the landscape. Don everything is fine.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#15 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 11:24 AM

View PostTames, on 12 May 2018 - 12:56 PM, said:

Since the Pistons broke

It's probably the term to discribe "over-revving of the engine"

#16 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 145 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:17 PM

I had an interesting, if boring race.   I had done 1:47.xx in practice with low fuel, but saw where that would put me in Qualifying. Hate me if you'd like, but I"m not comfortable in mid pack at race start.  Bob H knows what I mean.

So I didn't run Q.  I always practice with full race fuel, so I knew what my race pace was 1:50's full, and faster as fuel burns off.  Saw the 1st turn incident, knew Bob H was going to be unhappy. Around lap 3 I saw two cars tangle, I think Gabe and someone. One car was going left and one Right when I got there, decided GPL crash physics had decided what was going on and headed for the middle, I think I missed everyone. Anyway I traveled on sans damage. I kept to my race pace the rest of the race, let the leaders by as soon as possible.  Last lap I saw Ronnie spinning, I had committed to the outside line and had no where to go. Hit him on my left and spun. Both of us got away damage free!???, I had a little damage, but could travel on. Unfortunately, while recovering, Roberto B got past me and I lost a place. Finished 12th.

Did anyone see R Grosjean today at Spain?  It looked like a typical online race start.  It could be time for him to find another racing series.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#17 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 13 May 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postzzbusch1, on 13 May 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Did anyone see R Grosjean today at Spain?  It looked like a typical online race start.  It could be time for him to find another racing series.

Yes, I believe Bob H is already reviewing the incident. :)

I was really surprised, I think he's generally quite a good driver but I'm not sure why he thought "Flooring it" was the right move here. :( I guess if he hadn't he might have been collected by Alonso (I think)? But either way not one of his better moments in F1.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#18 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,009 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 13 May 2018 - 04:38 PM

View Postzzbusch1, on 13 May 2018 - 12:17 PM, said:

Really!   Maybe I could get a real job as Race Steward.  I bet it pays better.

Yeah the race was a bummer for me.  No problem Don.   Put some stick-um on those pedals.

Bob
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#19 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:10 AM

The Honda felt fast and was comfortable to drive but man in reality it was so slow ! made a mistake early on and decided to go in the pits for a shift R and from there on, was just cruising and tried not to be in the way of the leaders when they caught me...

A little frustrated for the team, we seem to brake the cars and spent all the coins we earned every week for repair :wounded1:

Can't wait for Silverstone !

Grosjean let his frustration get the best of him ! he had 2 choices and took the wrong one; if that does not cost him his ride with Haas, I don't know what it will take ! :whistling:
" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#20 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,673 posts

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:50 AM

i think Grosjean had 3 choices.
1. STAND on brakes
2. Full throttle
3. drop clutch and roll off track backward

at least #1 would not have created a smoke screen for those following
#3 might have caught Alonzo but the rest of the field would have been ok

sure... only a moment to react - but i think few would have taken #2 unless selfish - he had to know others were behind, did he not know where he was on track? :P
i saw Massa on the grid prior to start - maybe he should be considered?
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

Sim Racing Links