Monza

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:06 AM

So sorry, Mick and John.  :(
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#2 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 866 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:09 AM

not a prob for me at all Don......as for my Boss.......

more in a mo.......

#3 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:10 AM

Bad race : Was bumped at the start then a sand visit in parabolica at round 6... The car was now insane in braking , I was 13th at mid race then I got a blue screen in curva grande ; Full apologize for the honda who hit me .
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#4 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:50 AM

Ended up 8th.  Had some good battles with Alain and Hutch, who just kept me out of reach at the end. Apologies to the Honda I T-boned - I saw the yellow flags, but I couldn't avoid you.  And apologies to Bo for our misunderstanding - I kept off the racing line to try and let you through.

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,690 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:15 AM

Ronnie.. i'm thrilled you were able (as was i) to continue!  i clouted you a good one :P  

the Q was about what i expected, tho i had been a smidge quicker during the week, i was ok with a 28+anything good for p4
start was clean from my view, but apologies to all (pole sitter) for forgetting to move the entire grid back a row to allow seeing the flag - i owe you Bob :(

intense racing to say the least.
starting on 1/2 fuel allowed me to keep pace but slightly wide at CGrande and Mick got me in Lez1... but we touched and i nosed into the rail.  all seemed good til about lap - hell i don't know - 28?
the engine started to sputter :(   too early for planned sh-R and that meant i would have to do a 2d stop later... so much for staying in the lead group ~

so i was p5 and chasing Tames... oh my goodness~!
when i caught him, i tried to take him on the inside of parabolica.... right... sand was waiting for me.... and out but again in chase mode. lost a spot to DanD... but he later pitted so i was back to p5
then in weaving our way thru a gaggle of backmarkers, (see above) tho a right smart whack, i was able to continue (again) and decided to sh-R this lap, and be sure i had the fuel for the end, and no added engine sputter. i'm really shocked it didn't keel over then and there.

so i came out with 22g of petrol and 18 laps to go... 19s behind Tames and yet, still gripping p5 :o
each lap i trimmed a second off the gap.
4laps 4s back
3laps 3s back
till finally last lap and i am right behind and heading to parabolica.. i learned my lesson - tho Tames was gracious to leave the inside open again ;)
i thought the only way was to out drag him to the finish.. the Lotus is like driving a poem.... but i assume the Ferrari had less fuel ( i had 12g still)  and he held on to a most deserving p4 by 2/10ths.. wow...
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#6 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:18 AM

Bad gearing caused me to lose pace on straights.. in the corner i'm as fast as others...

Couldn't keep pace... made errors when i was being passed by others...

Spun a couple of times..

And a big mis shift (didn't grab the shifter so good, so it slipped from 5th to 2nd gears instead of 4th gear) into Parabolica was the final nail in the coffin... engine was cooked.

Video is coming soon..

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,057 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 September 2018 - 11:55 AM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on 08 September 2018 - 10:50 AM, said:

Ended up 8th.  Had some good battles with Alain and Hutch, who just kept me out of reach at the end. Apologies to the Honda I T-boned - I saw the yellow flags, but I couldn't avoid you.  And apologies to Bo for our misunderstanding - I kept off the racing line to try and let you through.

Great job Ronnie, but the Honda reversed back on the track and made clearly an unsafe rejoin. George owes an apology, not you mate ;)

Appreciate your apology Don, but why do you run on the racing line in the first place with engine damage? Mick was robbed of a potential top finish, and we suffer damage again!?

Grats John and podium, well done finishers! ;)

#8 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,591 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 08 September 2018 - 12:44 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 08 September 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

Great job Ronnie, but the Honda reversed back on the track and made clearly an unsafe rejoin. George owes an apology, not you mate ;)

Appreciate your apology Don, but why do you run on the racing line in the first place with engine damage? Mick was robbed of a potential top finish, and we suffer damage again!?

Grats John and podium, well done finishers! ;)

Maybe I'm just not good enough to be in this league.
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:13 PM

So, no I didn’t see the email regarding the grid as it arrived in the morning before the race (12:35 am Saturday) and I had no time to look at my mail. No matter anyway as by that point, I should have looked at the D1 replay, which I almost always do, to make sure that the front drivers can see the flag. I use an FOV of 72° which isn't all that tight. I wonder what others use in the league? I'm down to 67° in one mod.

As I dropped onto the grid, I was surprised to look left to see three abreast for an online race start. Next I looked for the flagman and when I couldn’t see him, realized with a few seconds left, that I could just see him with look left. So It worked out for me. However there was a crash involving 5 cars leaving the grid.

I'm not sure what the idea is of having such a tight grid for an online race.

Anyway, yes, John, I did have a good start and was ahead for a few meters, but I held back a bit because of the chance of slewing about like Navonne did with full tanks and cold tires. I never thought that leading would be a good strategy since I definitely wasn't the fastest here.

My strategy was to be steady and go with no pit-stop. I don't think that I'd have gotten up to Chapman, but Cheeseman who pitted to refuel, I think I might have taken if he didn't have that crash.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

Hi guys,

Start with the apologies in order that I can remember them...

JH I totally missed you coming through first time until your engine note woke me up. It shouldn't be that way. I'd checked the lap or so before but must have drifted off. With George I had spun in Lesmo 2 and for a second thought you were Ronnie (reason still unknown:)) and by the time we got to where I knew who you were I was in the wrong place and the wrong speed  to let you through safely. All my fault. Later in the race , lapping Richard I second guessed where he was going to be and had a near miss. My fault again.

While I'm not a fan of Monza I really enjoyed this event. Thanks to those who put it together.

Came in with very modest expectations and essentially got what I expected. Did a bunch of real driving, got scared silly on a logging road and swore off wheeled transport until late last night. I  did a race distance , slept  4 hrs and repeated.

I wanted to be within a certain time to my teammate but was way off that target so settled for an OK banker and ended up jumping half the field at the start. Lap 1 was spent following Tames. Lap 2 was about letting the field back through...
After Dan got back past I made a mistake and had Tim on me. He was going much faster than I and soon after was past me in the para. I maintained the gap to him until a similar incident to the first let Ronnie catch up. From then on I went as slow as I could to keep him at bay.  I figured I could turn it on whenever I wanted but I was wrong. The tires were so cold that going faster for a lap took about three laps and I never got them to the point where I could say they were working. In the end it didn't matter as I kept him behind  by using the leaders  to my advantage. Ronnie would just catch up and he'd have to move over. Were it not for that he'd have been in a different time zone. And Ronnie, thanks for not running into the back of me when I was making it quite easy for you to do so. Much appreciated!

Don - I know what you mean - that's what an incident does to you- but at the same time I had no answer for you this time last year and again at Watkins Glen several races later.

Congrats to the usual suspects and their usual results. Special mention of George's drive. I only knew what I saw on the Prib but he was mighty again.

Too bad for Tim's disco, he was much better than me today and I only got what I got due to his misfortune.

Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 08 September 2018 - 01:44 PM.

#11 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:35 PM

My objective was to qualify under 1:30 and finish the race. That worked out OK. During online training this week I already figured out I wouldn't be able to keep up with the top 4 or 5, so from the start I didn't even try. I was in no mans land for quite a while, and wondered why there was so much distance between me and the guys in front of me. I never considered a pits stop, in hindsight I could have been quicker I guess.
Bob S. ended up behind me after he went off I think, don't remember if he went in the pits. But I saw him closing in fast, and didn't see how I would be able to stay in front of him. He past me clean and I was settling in fifth.
I was surprised to find Bruce behind me a bit later, this must have been after his first stop. He was closing in about a second per lap, and like he already mentioned above lost it during the pass. (a little "there you go" came out of me...). I think I had about 3/4 of mile lead on him, and was calculating when he would catch me. I almost lost it in lesmos while doing that (you idiot). The second time Bruce caught up to me the crash with Ronnie happened. Bruce mentioned his crash with Ronnie already. I still can't believe how I made it one piece through the mess I saw just af few meters in front of me.
Just before that happened I almost collided with Ronnie as well, I have to look at the replay. He surprised me when he was trying to let me pass I think. At least he went off his line is what it looked like to me. I had great trouble saving the car and Bruce passed me and then crashed into him at Lesmos. My AED started working and that's why my heart is still beating (I always wear one during the race :-)).
Then the BruceMaster was again chasing me and I figured out it was going to be very close. I knew that with the fuel state I had, I should be able to go faster, but I didn't want to crash doing it either. So I decided to stay at the pace and which was comfortable for me, and when it would happen to try and keep him behind me. That worked out with the 0,2 seconds difference. I ended up with one gallon of fuel left, just enough to make the finish line and keep Bo behind me :-))
Very happy with 4th. Amazing job by the podium finishers, congratulations!!

Next up, an oval??? What?? We don't have that in Europe, you just drive in circles?? What is up with that?? See you in 2 weeks time guys.

Enjoyed every second of todays race :yahoo:

#12 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,018 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 08 September 2018 - 01:36 PM

Not a good day for me.   Good qualification at 8th in a Honda. At the start I get bounced around like a pin ball.  Had enough damage that it will  cost the team some coin.  The car seemed OK.
After 4 laps I'm behind Alain also in a Honda.  I'm able to pass going into Curve Grande but can't build much of a gap. At the Parabola I get booted by Alain. Race over.   Very Frustrating.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#13 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:03 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 08 September 2018 - 11:55 AM, said:

...but the Honda reversed back on the track and made clearly an unsafe rejoin. George owes an apology, not you mate ;)

Ronnie, I do owe you an apology as the contact could have easily destroyed our races. I have no idea how we got away with it but I'm glad we did. It looks very bad from the TV cameras but here's my perspective; I've just have a big incident and I've ended up in a awkward position, I hear two cars ONLY approaching so I reverse slowly and make sure I reach the tarmac when they've are past behind me. I did not hear your 3rd car approaching at all. What does one do? The two cars I heard and knew were coming were gone and it had gone briefly silent to all intents and purposes other than my own engine (admittedly revving high for a moment) so I made the split second dash for it but unfortunately, Ronnie was on it and contact was made. It could be argued I could have waited longer but heat of the moment, instinct says no extra car sounds = clear road so I go.

If I somehow had clear line of sight around the corner and still moved into Ronnie's path, that would have been unforgivable but I did not hear him or see him.

Edited by cg7aa, 08 September 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#14 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:07 PM

Andrew, thanks for the kind words. I like high speed tracks like Monza. I dread to think how many thousands of laps I've done around here since I started GPL around 2001.It was just an easy track to learn and play with keyboard back in my uni days.

#15 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 62 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 08 September 2018 - 02:33 PM

Pretty straightforward race. Could maybe spread the grid a bit to avoid mishap on the start.
Got a bit of a slow down when lapping a few. Nothing serious.

I was watching not to overrev the Honda so it would last till the end.

Didn't want to slow down Bob S when he lapped me. I was watching my mirrors a lot to leave enough room and trying to guess on which side he would go, and found myself in the sand all by myself at parabolica.

Pitstop patch was not working so I had to sh-R. Funny this patch was working ok earlier this week but yesterday and today it stopped working.
Patch=activated
Made sure not to overshoot (tried it very slowly).
And raising the arm longer as some suggested didn't work.

Great Fun race.To do again

#16 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 07:27 PM

This may be the most circled track in GPL but it isn't one of my favorites. I've never figured a way to go around it without embarrassing myself, and today was no different. My qualifying was about as expected --- 12th --- and I was involved in a minor way in Claudio's dust up in the first 50 yards when Bob Holada tapped me slightly and put me into the fence on the left side. The more serious problem came later on the first lap when I saw Claudio coming up behind me fast as we shot down the back straight, I quivering and fearful to the inside. There was no point in my fighting the guy, so I slowed w-a-y before my braking point. I thought he could overtake me easily and cut toward the inside of Parabolica without a lot of effort, but he kept going into the sand. End of race for Claudio. I couldn't maintain my hugging of the curb, slid out to the left, and if Claudio hadn't already been out of the race, I would have put the both of us in the DFN column. I would like someone more knowledgeable than I about such things to take a look at that and tell me what I should have done other than what I did do.

On a lap much later on I managed to smack the guard rail at the exit to Ascari, perform a perfect 360, and yet continue on track, possibly without even a downshift. For my Academy Award winning stuntman performance there I will no doubt receive an Oscar nomination, but what in fact I have already received is a serious damage report as well as a few minor ones. Until that point I'd been leading the team in the fewest repairs category. That distinction may have gone with the wind tonight. I have not looked at the coins report, fearing the worst.

The two-hour session as Monza was but a warm-up for the real driving I had to do immediately upon the conclusion of today's race. Within half an hour of the checkered flag, my wife and I had piled into the car and were heading north on Interstate 95 from Daytona Beach, FL to Lumberton, NC, just short of 500 miles through traffic that made me long for the peace and tranquility of the track in Italy. We survived and are now enjoying a glass of a fine box wine, vintage Cardboardeaux, in our room at the Best Western. Rockingham is not far away, but it will be P.I.R. I'll be dreaming about tonight.

As usual, I apologize wholeheartedly for any problems I may have caused to anyone on the track today. I never mean it, I often don't even know that I've done anything wrong, but I seek forgiveness anyway.

#17 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:07 PM

View PostDDodge, on 08 September 2018 - 12:44 PM, said:

Maybe I'm just not good enough to be in this league.

Stop it. Last year in the full-length race at Rouens I could never get close enough to you to hit you with a howitzer. This game is not for the faint of heart. You've already demonstrated a lot of that, so get ready for Phoenix. That's going to make today's outing look like a round of bingo in the nursing home.  :)

#18 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,601 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 08:14 PM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 08 September 2018 - 07:27 PM, said:

The more serious problem came later on the first lap when I saw Claudio coming up behind me fast as we shot down the back straight, I quivering and fearful to the inside. There was no point in my fighting the guy, so I slowed w-a-y before my braking point. I thought he could overtake me easily and cut toward the inside of Parabolica without a lot of effort, but he kept going into the sand. End of race for Claudio. I couldn't maintain my hugging of the curb, slid out to the left, and if Claudio hadn't already been out of the race, I would have put the both of us in the DFN column. I would like someone more knowledgeable than I about such things to take a look at that and tell me what I should have done other than what I did do.

Looking at the replay, it looks like you behaved correctly, although as you said, you drifted out a bit from the inside. It looks to me like Claudio simply went too fast into the corner.

I would say that if you definitely wanted him to go past, or if this was a faster car lapping you, it might have been better to slow earlier so that he could have seen you in his mirrors and could know that the inside of the corner was clear.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#19 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 615 posts

Posted 08 September 2018 - 10:29 PM

Yeah, I see in the replay the both of us coming down the back straight with serious enthusiasm, Claudio on the left side of the track and I inadvertently blocking him by keeping to the right. I think I didn't know he was there at all until it was too late to change my position from inside to outside. The last time I'd seen him he'd been heading toward the grandstand 50' beyond the S/F line, 90 degrees off the racing line. I must have thought at the time that no one could have made up that much ground in 3/4ths of a single lap, yet he'd done just that.

As I said, I never fight guys like this for position. He's not a G3 because he's slipping money to Bo through PayPal before every race. He's going to be ahead of me at the end of the day, there's nothing I can do about it, so why try to postpone the inevitable? There was a lap early on when I ended up riding the rail through Curva Grande rather than kill the poor car. If there is anything like the Original Sin in racing, it's that. You are so lame that your best shot at a good lap at Monza is to accelerate your poverty-stricken ass through the first turn by hugging onto the rail. Don Dodge was behind me going through there. He had to see what I'd done. No one with any sense of honor in this game can let that stand. As soon as we went into (or out of) the Lesmos, I pulled over and let him by me. If I'm going to beat the guy who's behind me in Curva Grande, it can't be because I've ridden the rail to stay in front.

As I've said before, if this game were easy, anyone could play it.

#20 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 220 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 09 September 2018 - 02:57 AM

Hi guys,

This race was always going to be my favourite, the one I really wanted to do as good as I could.

No qualifying here, just wanted to get on the back, and so it was, when the flag dropped I did my usual trick of being out of gear, by the time I'd sorted that out the carnage had kicked off I front so thankfully managed to miss all of that, the two BRM's were slow of the line so I think I passed them before Curva Grande,  the next 10 laps or so was spent passing slower cars that started ahead of me on the grid.

With just TWO LAPS TO GO, my screen went black :weight_lift2: :yucky: :Flush: :wounded1: you can guess how I felt at that moment,    7th was where I should have been, can't remember who was in front by about a mile, and similar gap behind.

Well done to all the back markers who made sensible moves in good time when being lapped. my driver of the day has to be George (with the Honda) great drive, well done.

Well done to the podium, Regards Tim.

Sim Racing Links