Qualifying Etiquette

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Lottatime

Lottatime

• Validating
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 07:46 AM

My suggestions on what proper Qualifying Etiquette should be. I've noticed a couple of times where our practice sessions turned into mini-race sessions (or worse), to the detriment of those involved.
We should not presume that all ADC'ers are motorsports fans, and thus some members may need a little guidance regarding proper on track behavior during a practice session. Hopefully, with enough Member suggestions, we can come to a concensus on this.
General definitions:
Hot lap- a timed lap. Specific to our purposes, a hot lap is one in which you are potentially going to set a PB for this session.
Out lap- untimed lap. Your first lap out of the pits, fat car and cold tires. To me, any lap in which you are not likely to set a PB for this session should be considered the same as an out lap. Any hot lap that you screwed up is really no longer a hot lap if you know you can't beat your best time. Thus, you should behave as if on your outlap until you start your next hotlap.

On Track Behavior
While on your outlap, you must move off the racing line when faster traffic approaches! One should always assume that the car rapidly closing on you is on a hotlap. You are not to impede it's progress in any way. A car on a hotlap should never have to race or pass a slower car that is not on a hotlap.

I think that this may be confusing to some members because the expected behavior is different from race conditions. Hopefully, a little clarity on this will help to make our practice sessions more rewarding and accurate.
I think we should treat Qualifying with the same level of respect as we do the races. It's another aspect of the game to enjoy.
        Robert

oh yeah, lets try not to vent past frustrations... Posted Image

#2 Whipl50

Whipl50

DON'T THINK!

• Mybroga
  • 2,300 posts
  • Interests:Naked pictures of Margaret Thatcher

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:38 AM

This from a guy with a nickname? Posted Image

Oh wait, I have one too. Posted Image Posted Image

Excellent point Robert. One thing that will help is to give the guy in front of you some room. For example, don't leave the pits at the same time as another guy, or if you do, slow up to get some room between you. Nothing like trying to run a hot lap and catching slower traffic. Also I think it's nice to keep the chat to a minimum while qualifying. Especially on the long tracks. Even though you are done qualifying the guys still on the track should have a chance to finish up with a quality lap.
Treading water in a sea of sexual retardation.

-Duane Darnell

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#3 Paul Smith

Paul Smith

GPL Australian Director (Ret)

• ADC Admins
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 08:43 AM

Yeah. I've seen this over and over. It's pretty obvious when the car behind is quicker yet guys want to race in qualifying. It's a bit like that stuff in the traffic on the street when someone can't stand being passed. It's pretty pointless. I find myself thinking "get out of the way slowpoke, it's qualifying, not a race".  Posted Image

#4 PTMAC3

PTMAC3

Lola T70 Spyder Chevrolet

• ADL Champions
  • 909 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:07 AM

When faced with slower traffic in qualifying and I cannot get past them for whatever reason, I simply return to the pits and start over. This, hopefully, allows me a clear run to get my best possible lap completed. I may have to repeat this process 2 or 3 times, but it (almost) always works. Everyone is entitled to their best hotlap, especially the guys still in the Average Class. It means just as much too them and maybe more to achieve a higher position on the grid. As for the outlap/blownlap I either drive off the racing line or the track when someone is approaching. The difficulty is re entering the track, as more competitors may be approaching with little warning and allowing even less time to react accordingly. Sometimes incidents just have to fall into the category of "That's racin' and $hit happens!" Posted Image
Crashing GPL cars since summer of 2000.

Keep the greasy side down!

Percy

#5 Mark Casey

Mark Casey

Mr. Nobody

• ADC
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 12:36 PM

I dunno...sometimes I'm sure I am on a winning lap, yet there is one of the aliens closing in...what? I've got to abandon any chance for improvement because there is an alien in this average club?
It's quite difficult on some of the smaller tracks with a large field to even get near a clean lap without coming upon some sort of progress impediment...that's part of the deal as far as I can see...I still think of this as a club meeting rather than a points-up-for-grabs arrangement.
Don't want to start adding rules willy nilly now do we?
O.K. John. So...when ARE we gonna cut and run??

#6 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

• ADC
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:01 PM

Mark,

That's not what he's saying. If you're on a hot lap, and a faster driver comes up behind you. You don't need to do anything but continue with your hot lap. It's the fast drivers bad luck to come up behind you.

He was talking about guys on an outlap not moving over. I see this over and over. I see them leave the pits, so I know they're on an out lap. Yet, when I catch up to them, they won't move over. It doesn't make any sense. Once they start their hot lap, why would they want a faster driver pushing them? It's better for everybody if he just moves over as soon as he see's a car come up behind him. Then he can relax and do his hot lap without any pressure from behind.

This could also apply if you blow your hot lap, and a faster driver comes up behind you. Let him go, and work on your next hot lap. It just makes more sense.
Pete

President of the 0ld Farts Club.

#7 Brent Knoll

Brent Knoll

• ADC
  • 725 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 01:28 PM

A quote from another league:
"Don't try to polish the turd." When you wipe out on a fast lap.

#8 Mark Casey

Mark Casey

Mr. Nobody

• ADC
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 10:08 PM

No worries Pete...I was just trying out Rob's 'automatic contrariness' approach....pretty effective aint it? Posted Image

#9 Paul Smith

Paul Smith

GPL Australian Director (Ret)

• ADC Admins
  • 551 posts

Posted 15 December 2003 - 11:48 PM

And I was only talking about the guys whose car suddenly gets very wide. If I come up on a slower car that is on a hot lap I'll just overtake him. He doesn't have to change his line or his speed.  Posted Image

#10 Jernej Zorec

Jernej Zorec

• ADC
  • 76 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:01 AM

and if you know you are fast you should leave enough space infront of you so that you dont catch up on anyone who is doing a fast lap also. it may be difficult to do that on longer tracks but still if you are faster anyway at least let the slower drivers do their best.
Like Paul said if you are that much faster you will have no problems to overtake anyway.

in no case should anyone back off if he is on his flying lap, no matter who is behind.
Jernej Zorec

GPL Rank: -59.561
Monster GPLRank: -262.360
ChallengeRank: -49.487
Monster ChallengeRank: -151.660
HistoricRank: -19.508
MunchausenRank: -25.191

#11 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,222 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 16 December 2003 - 02:47 PM

Robert, you seem to have a knack of 'hitting the nail on the head'. And Duane's additional comments are very accurate also. The methods you two are referring to are exactly how I've tried to conduct myself during qualifying, so I guess I must have been blindly doing it right all along.

Excellent post, and excellent feedback. I'm going to 'pin' this one.

Fletch
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#12 Pr qvist

Pr qvist

• ADC
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 06 June 2005 - 03:47 PM

I always disables mirror when on a hot lap. That way I wont get disturbed by faster traffic behind me and I will get no sudden instincts to get off the racing line either to block or anything. If they got the nose ahead before the breaking point I will see them with my TrackIR anyway and then I of course back off.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Sandeep_Banerjee

Sandeep_Banerjee

• oAo
  • 1,150 posts
  • Interests:Racing mostly..

Posted 18 June 2005 - 01:10 PM

Slower traffic are good for a few mph tow too, so it all depends on where you come up on 'em. Posted Image
GPL rank :- -34.155

#14 Mark Casey

Mark Casey

Mr. Nobody

• ADC
  • 4,402 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 02:34 PM

Yeah mate, but most of us don't then use 'em as spring boards Posted Image

#15 Pr qvist

Pr qvist

• ADC
  • 3,187 posts

Posted 18 June 2005 - 03:35 PM

If you are going to overtake anyone on a qualifying lap you will have to make damn damn sure you wont irritate or make that guy brake sooner or anything. Otherwise you will get fight to the end by a guy who have no compassion wether you get through safe or not :;):
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links