• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,043 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:26 AM

not the day for racing i guess.
nothing much to say - started mid grid... and ended early when i had contact with spinning car.

on to the Killarney track
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,208 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 09:49 AM

I lost the Ferrari in the dumbest curve (the dumb one was me), the first curve. In order not to make things worse and break the engine, I abandoned the race leaving the car on top of the straw bales.
Until Sud África.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#3 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 239 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:10 AM

I touched the Ferrari in front of me in the 1st hairpin . Sorry , I didn't think i was so close .  I surely created a big mess here , sorry , sorry .

After that , I nice race chasing Pepe but the big fault when laping a BRM . I lost a wheel , I was 4th....
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#4 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 312 posts
  • Interests:Video making, 3D printing, movies, games, books...

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:26 AM

Oh boy.. this gonna be a wild one:

Pile up in T2... cars over there, over there and up there...

Got stuck in a haybale and brooke lose... twice!

Screen went black for a split second while entering a corner.. whilst hunting for a position...

spun around and got going

alsmost being punted out of the race... twice!

and still somehow... finished 4th ?????

and all that...and then try to make a 'highlight' video out of that....

Edited by MK3424, 14 March 2020 - 10:26 AM.

"Last of the late brakers"
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#5 cg7aa

cg7aa

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:30 AM

I'm so glad to have finished the race in one piece! It was a bit of a messy drive from me compared to the first two races. I have no idea how with pro damage I still had all 4 corners on the car and the thing still steered in a straight line. Somebody was looking after me I guess. I was convinced I had thrown it all away and was very disappointed with myself. It turned messy around lap 33 when I was recovering from a slow spin (stupid unforced error) and then got tangled with Kayo's Cooper while I was trying to spin around. I saw his car go up in a ball of flames minus the front wheels and I was mortified!

My heart sunk and my concentration never really recovered. I must have spun 3 times after that  - hitting things and thinking a wheel would fly past me and my race would be over but the car kept going. Speaking to Kayo in post-race chat, it seems his reality was very different indeed. He continued the race! I couldn't believe it! I thought I must have got the wrong car so i went back to watch the replay quickly and it was Kayo! I'll post a clip of the incident with Kayo seemingly driving away, Cooper ablaze and no wheels. It's incredible and comical.. So glad, he could continue (in his parallel GPL universe!).

Edited by cg7aa, 14 March 2020 - 10:31 AM.

#6 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,173 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:34 AM

I couldn't ask for a better outcome than 6th with no damage to the BRM.  $$$  It got interesting near the end when ZZ ,Don and myself were converging on each other.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#7 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 10:59 AM

Had a present given to me in qf when my engine randomly blew up on the first lap... Had the last 5 minutes to go for 2 more laps and qualified 10th which wasn't all too bad, but there was more in the tank given how close the field was in that session.

Race went off the same for me just like for anybody else... got caught up in that moshpit-like mess when attempting to escape it using the outside of the corner... In hindsight I should've taken the inside I guess, but it wasn't all too bad because I came out of the mess as 10th, quickly made inroad on the closely-matched field again and got up to 6th, then I encountered Pepe... Lotus vs Cooper, you know how that one ends. Never really was close enough to him and didn't get good enough exits either until once at half-race distance. Broke late, attempted to go around the outside... I guess that was just a racing incident as it often happens. Lost 2 or 3 positions, overdrove the car on the recovery drive, spun with the back of the car first into the barrier, had my engine significantly damaged with smoke coming out of it, chose to retire because there was no point continuing...

Had I pulled off that move on Pepe, I think I could've fought for P2 as the consistency was clearly there today, but I'm also not hesitant to say that I'm really disappointed with the result because the car felt so good today and then I ultimately threw it away...
Racing is brutal.

Good race and racing overall today, once again enjoyed participating and I hope to see all of you next time out there again, hopefully with more cars making it to the finish line. ^^

Edited by lalb2001, 14 March 2020 - 11:00 AM.

#8 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,805 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:01 AM

Worst lap one I can remember.  :)   My wheel once again came uncalbrated and I barely finished, but seventh!   I think I know what's wrong and it is coming apart momentarily.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#9 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 11:47 AM

Team Sniper didn't think Roberto would be available to race here today, so rather than take a chance on damaging our team's expensive Lotus, I practiced for ten days in the Brabham. I was consistently in the 1:08s but couldn't do better than that in online practice day after day. Then Roberto suddenly became available and I volunteered to get back into the Lotus. This is the kind of selflessness I show my team, willing to do my duty even if it means driving Jimmy Clark's car. In one day of practice I reduced my PBs seven times, eventually getting down to 1:07.25 in the practice before qualifying this morning.

A 1:07.43 put me fourth on the qualifying grid of 16, far enough ahead of the pack to keep me out of trouble in the first couple of turns, or so I thought. But wait! There's more! When I saw Francois turn Claudio's Ferrari sideways in T2, I hoped there might be a hole for me to squeeze through. There wasn't, of course, and I was immediately rear-ended by my teammate in the ensuing mess. It was yet again another example of Lap 1 theatrics, this time an expensive one for me. That incident produced six points of damage to the Lotus, which by itself will cost nine coins to repair. I added to that total on the next to last lap with a stupid mistake in the first chicane that caused me to tap the fence. Add another nine coins to fix that crumpled fender. On L11 Roberto exploded his engine coming into T2 with me right behind him. So it looks like Sandown is going to cut the Sniper's treasury going into today's race by almost 25%. Wow, this advanced damage model is definitely not for the faint of heart.

Roberto's retirement put me behind Eduardo and ahead of Francois in 5th-6th-7th or so. We had more than 40 laps to go, and for all but the last six laps (when Francois was knocked out in a collision) the three of us were glued nose-to-fender for lap after endless lap. We could get close to each other but no one had the great corner exit move to chase the other car down on the stretch. Obstinately, each of us refused to make a mistake, so we slowly climbed the overall ladder into 2-3-4 through attrition. It did not seem even as I was reducing my fuel load that the car had the power that I'd experienced in qualifying, so I think I must have hurt the engine in an almost undetectable manner in that L1 fracas. I was turning so many 1:07s in practice in the last 24 hours that if you'd told me I'd run the entire race today and not crack 1:09, I'd have laughed and sent you to a psychiatrist.  :)

#10 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 03:23 PM

Earlier than usual!

Here's the highlight video!

https://youtu.be/vRNt8UgYp7Y

#11 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:49 PM

[Error]

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 14 March 2020 - 05:55 PM.

#12 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 05:53 PM

View PostMK3424, on 14 March 2020 - 03:23 PM, said:

Earlier than usual! Here's the highlight video!

This is really remarkable. I attach a screenshot that I hope shows the relative pressures of the accelerator and brake, the way NASCAR 2002 training videos used to do. This is the most crucial missing information in GPL/replays that I can possibly imagine, yet you appear to have reverse-engineered a solution.

How much will you charge to teach me how to do this with replays of Roy and Robert dancing through the Masta kink? I'll start with an offer of one million euros, but in these uncertain days I probably shouldn't go much more than ten.   You take PayPal?  :)

Attached Files

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 14 March 2020 - 05:56 PM.

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 06:17 PM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 14 March 2020 - 05:53 PM, said:

This is really remarkable. I attach a screenshot that I hope shows the relative pressures of the accelerator and brake, the way NASCAR 2002 training videos used to do. This is the most crucial missing information in GPL/replays that I can possibly imagine, yet you appear to have reverse-engineered a solution.

How much will you charge to teach me how to do this with replays of Roy and Robert dancing through the Masta kink? I'll start with an offer of one million euros, but in these uncertain days I probably shouldn't go much more than ten.   You take PayPal?  :)

I didn't reverse engineered it from NR2002, it's an overlay for obs https://obsproject.c...el-overlay.225/ which takes the input of your steering wheel... so sadly... it can't get any info of input from a replay...
You'll have to record your own race in order to have it show your inputs...

#14 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 940 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 07:24 PM

View PostMK3424, on 14 March 2020 - 06:17 PM, said:

You'll have to record your own race in order to have it show your inputs...

Ah, I already know what my inputs look like. They're the ones that resemble a 10-year-old at the Dodge-Em bumper cars at a beach town boardwalk. The ones I need to see are the ones where Rob and Roy are bombing into the second chicane at Sandown. How much do they brake? How much are they on the accelerator? How much are their sphincters squeezing?

I can't believe that of all the post-production tracks, analyzers, and the like that have followed this truly inspired game since its introduction more than 20 years ago no one has come up with a replay that displays a graphic of brakes, accelerators, and gears in corners. It seems so simple, and yet so far away. Sigh.

#15 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,719 posts

Posted 14 March 2020 - 08:59 PM

I qualified third, but jumped past Navonne into second at the start. I felt comfortable driving but 54 laps is a long way...

On lap 15, I only shifted down to third instead of second in turn 1 and ended up in the hay bales, ending my race. Bummer.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:33 AM

Not to be poking fun or doing some 'schadenfreude' (of 'leedvermaak' for Dutch speakers), but isn't that incident with the Lotus 49 i had in contrast with 'safely rejoining the track'?

Instead of him slowly rolling forward and waiting 'till the track was clear to turn around... he revved his engine and dropped the clutch in an attempt to powerslide around... and right into me.

I couldn't see him as it was in a blind corner and there were no yellow flags (in time) to warn me...

#17 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 87 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:42 AM

...Still much to learn to properly manage the engine with the Pro Damage Model !

Ciao
rob

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:18 AM

View PostMK3424, on 15 March 2020 - 03:33 AM, said:

Not to be poking fun or doing some 'schadenfreude' (of 'leedvermaak' for Dutch speakers), but isn't that incident with the Lotus 49 i had in contrast with 'safely rejoining the track'?

Instead of him slowly rolling forward and waiting 'till the track was clear to turn around... he revved his engine and dropped the clutch in an attempt to powerslide around... and right into me.

I couldn't see him as it was in a blind corner and there were no yellow flags (in time) to warn me...

Apologies on behalf of the team, Kayo. You suffered some time loss and got 2 minor damage reports.

Great P4 finish for you!

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 15 March 2020 - 05:27 AM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 14 March 2020 - 07:24 PM, said:

Ah, I already know what my inputs look like. They're the ones that resemble a 10-year-old at the Dodge-Em bumper cars at a beach town boardwalk. The ones I need to see are the ones where Rob and Roy are bombing into the second chicane at Sandown. How much do they brake? How much are they on the accelerator? How much are their sphincters squeezing?

I can't believe that of all the post-production tracks, analyzers, and the like that have followed this truly inspired game since its introduction more than 20 years ago no one has come up with a replay that displays a graphic of brakes, accelerators, and gears in corners. It seems so simple, and yet so far away. Sigh.

Indeed that would be helpful to analyze laps and driving styles as well.

Congrats on your fine podium finish, Pepe! :)

#20 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 312 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:38 AM

For those that have the patience: here's the full race video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=6hBUfo3WAik

Sim Racing Links