S22 R2 Punta Fria


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 MGL66

MGL66

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 1,537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

View PostMiguel Palud, on 25 February 2019 - 10:30 AM, said:

I do not understand your question, how do I feel today?
That's just Doni's sense of humor, Miguel. On the one hand he says that he holds no grudge, but on the other hand he shows a Voodoo doll (representing you) with pins sticking out of it. If you're not familiar with the purpose of a Voodoo doll, see here for a brief explanation/definition.

Doni has been with us for years -- so we know when he is only joking.

And I will add my voice to what others have said -- this is only one race. As with all races, learn from your mistakes and leave this race behind you. Sincerely, we all know that you are better than Saturday at Piriapolis.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 25 February 2019 - 02:37 PM.


#22 MGL66

MGL66

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 1,537 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Posted 25 February 2019 - 02:37 PM

There are those who say that Punta Fría is not appropriate for the Grand Prix cars that we are driving. Certainly it does not allow these cars to showcase what they do best, but I don't think that's really relevant. It is a fact of life that sometimes race cars race on circuits that are less than ideal for them. I would argue that Monaco is just such a place, too. Like Tucumán, I had never heard of Punta Fría until it was released for GPL. I am glad to have had the opportunity to race on both circuits.

Anyway, Q6 with a time 0.01s away from my personal best was a little disappointing, if I'm honest. I had hoped for a better starting position. But then, as I did at Tucumán, I made a blistering start and passed not only Frank in Q5, but somehow entered Turn 1 slightly ahead of Iestyn in Q4. I didn't really plan it that way, but after braking a little too early and hard for Turn 1, I realized that I had more space to Michiel and decided to close up on it rather than increase the risk of being hit from behind. That put me ahead and inside of Iestyn, which wasn't really where I expected to be.

Now at a moment like that -- when you find yourself in a spot where you're not sure whether the guy near you knows that you're there -- all you can do is hold as tight a line as possible and hope that he stays wide either because he knows that you're there or because he merely suspects that someone might be there. I held my breath in hope, but unfortunately it didn't work out. I'm sorry we made contact, Iestyn. It started the decline of what might otherwise have turned out to be a good day for you.

By Turn 2 of Lap 2, after the Roy/Robert contact shuffled Roy to mid pack, I found myself in a surprising 3rd, with front and back gaps to Michiel and Frank respectively growing to several seconds. Predictably, Roy displaced me from 3rd in his assault from mid pack : a position that I reclaimed after Michiel started making mistakes in what looked like a uncomfortably tail-happy Ferrari. All that was left by the end was to not delay Robert as he lapped me with about 5 laps remaining.

On this tight course, traffic was stellar. I hope I minimized my disruption to your battles, of which there were plenty. As Bruce noted, a good workmanlike job by the field to have so many finishers. And two weeks from now we will meet at what must be the polar opposite of Punta Fría: Bathurst.

Michael

#23 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

    Senior Member

  • ADC Admins
  • 5,329 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2019 - 03:49 PM

To be sure, Michael, the voodoo doll of Miguel is merely a joke.  No harm intended.  As Miguel is not strong on English, I knew that I was taking a chance on his reaction.

As for Punta Fria, it's nowhere on my list of favourite circuits but one has to adapt.  Like racing in the rain, it's the same for everyone, no?

#24 Carlos Cendejas

Carlos Cendejas

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 114 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 25 February 2019 - 04:00 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 February 2019 - 09:05 AM, said:

Not a problem, Miguel.  Accidents happen even on the best of days.  I never hold grudges.  Nope.  Never.  Ever.

BTW, how are you feeling today?

Attachment miguel voodoo.jpg

;)

Doni

Miguel, dice Doni que no hay problema por el toque. Que el no es rencoroso.

Pero al final hace la broma de meterle alfileres a un muñeco de voodoo y de preguntarte como amaneciste. :)

No hay problema por el toque Miguel.
Me da risa despues de ver la replay haces como la señora que mueve el auto y siente que le pega a algo y se queda quieta. :)  Y yo la verdad nunca me imagine que lo ibas a intentar sacar ahi y cuando escuche que el auto acelero para sacarlo, quise esquivarte pero ya no me dio.

Para ser nuestra primera carrera no estuvo tan mal. Necesitamos un plan para dosificar nuestra energía a lo largo de la hora de la carrera.

Grats to Robert! Cheers to all.

Edited by Carlos Cendejas, 25 February 2019 - 04:01 PM.


#25 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parana, Argentina

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:59 PM

View PostMGL66, on 25 February 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

That's just Doni's sense of humor, Miguel. On the one hand he says that he holds no grudge, but on the other hand he shows a Voodoo doll (representing you) with pins sticking out of it. If you're not familiar with the purpose of a Voodoo doll, see here for a brief explanation/definition.

Doni has been with us for years -- so we know when he is only joking.

And I will add my voice to what others have said -- this is only one race. As with all races, learn from your mistakes and leave this race behind you. Sincerely, we all know that you are better than Saturday at Piriapolis.

Michael
Thanks Michael, jejejej if I understood perfectly the irony of doni, I understood that it was with humor, as for the mistakes it is important to learn from them, there is only the quarrel that the error harms another partner, anyway I like the behaviors that all the oAo pilots have on and off the track, that speaks very well of their chivalry and kindness, I am very happy and excited that the next race arrives

#26 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parana, Argentina

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:03 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 February 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

To be sure, Michael, the voodoo doll of Miguel is merely a joke.  No harm intended.  As Miguel is not strong on English, I knew that I was taking a chance on his reaction.

As for Punta Fria, it's nowhere on my list of favourite circuits but one has to adapt.  Like racing in the rain, it's the same for everyone, no?

Edited by Miguel Palud, 26 February 2019 - 09:41 AM.


#27 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parana, Argentina

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:05 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 February 2019 - 03:49 PM, said:

To be sure, Michael, the voodoo doll of Miguel is merely a joke.  No harm intended.  As Miguel is not strong on English, I knew that I was taking a chance on his reaction.

As for Punta Fria, it's nowhere on my list of favourite circuits but one has to adapt.  Like racing in the rain, it's the same for everyone, no?
ajajaj Doni do not worry, you can joke with me, I understand perfectly, and in fact it was an excellent joke, in Argentina we are joking a lot, Carlos Cendejas and Enrique Farina can give faith to them, I love to joke too, just that I am new here, but you will know me in full, hehehe

#28 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

    Senior Member

  • ADC Admins
  • 5,329 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 26 February 2019 - 08:26 AM

Well I'm glad that you took the voodoo doll image in the proper spirit in which it was posted.  Strictly for a laugh.  Actually, it was prompted by a photo that I saw in an old Road & Track magazine with a report on Indy 500 qualifying.  I believe that it was 1971.  Mark Donohue was dominating practice and other drivers took a doll, dressed it in a driver's uniform, put his name on it and stuck pins in the right foot.  It worked.  Mark was pipped for the pole by Peter Revson and DNF'd in the race.

I was astonished to find that despite the rather heavy contact with you, my Cooper sustained no damage reports in GPLRA.  Talk about a free pass!  :)

I note by your image and descriptor appearing in the legend at left that you are located in Parana, Argentina.  Surely you must be aware of the road circuit there.  It was on our OAO schedule just a couple of seasons back and a very excellent production.  Did it's existence prompt your interest in motorsports?

Doni

#29 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

    Member

  • Members
  • 48 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Parana, Argentina

Posted 26 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 26 February 2019 - 08:26 AM, said:

Well I'm glad that you took the voodoo doll image in the proper spirit in which it was posted.  Strictly for a laugh.  Actually, it was prompted by a photo that I saw in an old Road & Track magazine with a report on Indy 500 qualifying.  I believe that it was 1971.  Mark Donohue was dominating practice and other drivers took a doll, dressed it in a driver's uniform, put his name on it and stuck pins in the right foot.  It worked.  Mark was pipped for the pole by Peter Revson and DNF'd in the race.

I was astonished to find that despite the rather heavy contact with you, my Cooper sustained no damage reports in GPLRA.  Talk about a free pass!  :)

I note by your image and descriptor appearing in the legend at left that you are located in Parana, Argentina.  Surely you must be aware of the road circuit there.  It was on our OAO schedule just a couple of seasons back and a very excellent production.  Did it's existence prompt your interest in motorsports?

Doni
Motorsport was always a passion for me, it was not the reason for the Parana street circuit, that circuit was made by a friend of mine, this is another Argentine track out the Cordoba circuit Oscar Cabalen, is a very interesting track for gpl mod 67

#30 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

    Senior Member

  • Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 04 March 2019 - 12:20 AM

Hi guys,

Just catching up after my forum issue.


I nosed into the hay T1 in Q and then made mistakes in the last five mins to line up last. From there had slow start and kept out of trouble until lap seven  when I spun in the hairpin. From then on I was getting lapped every other lap by someone and in parking off track I couldn't keep any heat. Had to pull over at one point and wait 20s for everyone to pass. After that I made 3 more mistakes trying to get some (any) heat in the tires. Sorry Miguel for slowing you going into the hairpin . Early on there was one other incident for position with Yannick where I went around the inside of the hairpin and stayed right for the next right-hander. Things went quiet just as I turned in which I assumed was him going off to the left. I knew where he was but he was out of my mirror range
and on the outside. I don't believe any contact was made. He had a good recovery after that. Given what I was doing and where I was, I don't believe I could have gotten out of the way any better for the leaders. All things considered I was going to finish about 2.5-3 laps down on raw pace so finishing 5 down isn't the end of the world. Glad to have finished after wrecking the motor two weeks ago.

After the race I went back and looked over the carnage. Opposite to Tuc where I had excessive temps all round, at Punta Fria the engine never rang over 170 for long and the tires were rocks. Obviously, If I'd regrouped quicker the spiral wouldn't have occurred to the same degree but I had also made a clutch change before the event that made it hard to keep heat in the tyres. I was trying to solve a problem I had going into and getting off the last corner and the direction I went in with the clutches  was slower but more consistent. After the event I found that a higher 2nd gear did the same job and more easily kept the tyres in their operating window. Live and learn I guess.

I really enjoyed the circuit and found it strangely addictive.  For a short circuit It has one of everything which is always a plus. Late Friday/ early Saturday I got some decent sectors together but never a full lap. Drove around for several hours trying to make a point but to no avail.

Cheers,

Andrew




Sim Racing Links