29 replies to this topic

#21 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

About the race .... what a race  :banana:

I thought I could have qualified a bit closer to the pole, but no way I could make it, even if I tried.

I did not start very well and lost 2 positions ... Pat and John were in a hurry !!

I passed Pat and then Pablo to get back into 4th position and watched the show Rob, Paul and John were giving at the front. They were driving like if their cars were stolen and I was the police ....  :gpler:

Everything went well till lap 4, where Paul and John crashed and then I could not find a place to go through T2. Shift-R followed by a stop and go, back in 9th position by then. Then I met Nat at the track, and we had a great dice for several laps. We were closing the gap with 2 Ferraris: Vadim´s and Sebastian´s. They were fighting each other, so we could close the gap. Unfortunately for Nat, he lost it coming into Muizon and we lost him.

The last laps were amazing. With 3 to go, I spun coming out of Thillois but could recover pretty soon. From then till the checkered, it was some sort of man hunting :) I was driving like craczy and could catch both Ferraris while we entered the last lap.

Both Ferraris were ahead while went came out of Thillois, but I could stay on their draft. The hell with the engine, the gearbox, everything ... I guess the Climax went up to 15.000 rpms. I felt the draft and made some sort of banzai move to pass Sebastian and Vadim, but could only do that with Sebastian. Vadim took the checkered 0.010s ahead and Sebastian closer than 0.07s ahead ... now that was close !!!  :clap:

Congratilations to Rob for a fantastic win !!!  :1a:  and to Pablo  :2a:  and Tex   :3a: for their podiums !!!

It was great to have Tex back again  :beerchug:  as well as seeing Dan, Moshe and Omar back :)

Next stop: Castle Combe .... I guess we will miss the open scenery of Reims  :victory:
AP

#22 valtam

valtam

valtam

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:08 PM

Linda career in Reims and cars with suction always happens.

I had fun fighting with mainly Vadim, Hofer Pereira and my thanks to them.  :thumbup:

Not classified for injured Genta at the previous race so last to 7th and at some point to my 4th was pretty good.

See you at the next.

Google translator.

#23 Pinchevsky Moshe

Pinchevsky Moshe

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

A quick recount of an amazing race...
As usual I came unprepared. I thought I was slow in qualifying until I discovered the difference drafting can do to your lap times...

Anyway, Reims is a place where skill counts far less then usual for GPL. If I was able to stay with most of the others around me, then that says it all.

I took it easy all race long and kept a small distance from the "3 abreast" into the hairpins that I encountered so many times I could not believe it. Still, being involved almost race long in close racing is such a good feeling that I am still glowing even now a day later. I don't recall everyone I raced with, but congrats to you all, Rob, John and everyone else. Thank you.

Edited by Pinchevsky Moshe, 26 April 2009 - 02:56 PM.

#24 Omar Gomez

Omar Gomez

• Members
  • 133 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 03:07 PM

Finally I could run! No more freeze screens.
:clap: Congratulations to the excellent race podium. :clap:
Good fights for position with Dick and Claudio, I really had fun.
Claudio remember years ago in Brands Hatch?!!!!!
See you at the next race  :crazy:
Take your Time (Do it right)

#25 Patrik L

Patrik L

• Members
  • 262 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Had the luck of having Rob passing me during qualy which explains my result from that. My apology for braking into your car there Rob, guess I wasn't used to those velocities. I got away rather nicely, with grids as tight as these I try to remember Graham Hill's suggestion not to go when the flag drops but when the cars in front do :) My sound is a low-fi mesh hard to describe but the amount of gargling engines vbehind seemed so unusual high soon after the start that I was anticipating a train of cars on the inside as I started on the outside. But no-one came and I kept with the leading group for quite a few laps in the beginning. A few minor mistakes was enough to loose the tow from a few nice looking red cars ahead and the Climax soon had a real hard time passing 9k RPM's at the backstraight. A rather lonely part of the race took over until, not far from the end, one of the returnee's for the night, Tex Hoofer, passed me so fast I was sort of surprised but clamped on to his tail for all the butter in Småland. He was cunningly using most of the road to spread his air so to speak but I managed to stay in the draft further encouraged by the cars coming up from behind and finnished in a very pleasing 4th. Great fun race again and great to see so many old faces back in the ring :)

#26 Ran56

Ran56

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 03:32 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Apr 26 2009, 07:42 PM, said:

Then, #11 (Natan) was crashed by #10 (Ran). I guess Ran braked a bit later and so Nat was rear ended by Nat, his own team-mate. I think Ran could have avoided it by braking a bit earlier, specially considering all were with cold tyres and full fuel load. A warning to Ran there.

Taking full responsibility on thins one, though I braked earlier, but the car in front of me
did something to make me change the race line and loose the braking.
Sorry Nat.

There was another accident, about 5 laps to the end, were we had real fun till
that point in the race, where some one rear ended me, and throw me out of the track
behind the signs , and another car on top of me.

Was that yet another racing incident ?

Congrats to podium finishers.

Ran.

#27 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 06:01 AM

View PostRan56, on Apr 28 2009, 06:32 AM, said:

There was another accident, about 5 laps to the end, were we had real fun till
that point in the race, where some one rear ended me, and throw me out of the track
behind the signs , and another car on top of me.

Was that yet another racing incident ?

Congrats to podium finishers.

Ran.

As far as I can remember, wasn´t that incident the one in lap 16, which replay is already uploaded here?

I only review the lap 1 incidents AND any other one that I know of. If you want me to review other incidents, let me know as soon as the race finishes through a PM or an email.
AP

#28 Bentcam

Bentcam

• Mybroga
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 10:18 AM

It sure felt great to be back on the track with you guys. Many thanks to the administration (ARTURO!!) for all the work keeping Atlas F1 running.

I can see that I slowed a bit too early and too much going into Muizon to allow much for the following drivers. My apologies for this rookie caution.

After this incident I wanted to reset because my Lotus seemed slow. Probably just carrying a lot of fuel, but I was dropping back quickly. While reaching over to type my pit-in message, I hit the "grass" barrier on the front straight and then had to really reset and pit in which put me back far enough that I only saw two cars the whole race as I bobbled just enough to let them both get away from me and lose any chance of a draft. I felt good to have finished on the lead lap and not to have caused any more trouble. :)

See ya all at Castle Combe.

#29 Strider

Strider

• Mybroga
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

I didn't have the most successful race, I qualified 13th and finished 13th. Along the way I manage not to avoid but to survive the scrums on lap 1.

Later I went out to check on the wheat to see if it was ready to do what you do to wheat when it's ready. Visited the pits after that one.

At some point in the race I got involved in a three car train. Omar was one of them and the other was a Ferrari which I thought was Ignacio. Trouble was he was not in a Ferrari. Maybe it was Seabastion Iglesia. Either way, the three of us had a grand duel for a few laps. There was a lot of give and take and those guys drove very gentlemanly. No stupid moves, I hope I did the same. It was fun.

Congrats to the podium! How 'bout my teammate. I think Tex is back!!!!

Off to Castle Comb.

Dick
R& R Racing

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW -- What a Ride! "

#30 Border Reiver

Border Reiver

• Members
  • 468 posts

Posted 02 May 2009 - 01:11 PM

View PostPatrik L, on Apr 26 2009, 10:41 PM, said:

Had the luck of having Rob passing me during qualy which explains my result from that. My apology for braking into your car there Rob, guess I wasn't used to those velocities.

No problem Patrik, on either count. :) I guessed you might need a bit of help and I was happy to assist you towards the front since I reckoned you'd be a safe bet to have around near me at the start in terms of not colliding. I can't entirely remember the circumstances around how you came to hit me in qually, I think I had maybe braked a bit earlier than usual as well, since I was about to go for a good hairpin exit and have "another real go" at a fast lap. Anyway, it didn't matter, and I was glad to help you out with the tow. It was impressive how well that little Brabham could hang on given a bit of tow and your good cornering.

The race was good fun, at least to begin with. I knew my car would be slow away, since I had geared 1st to be used in the hairpins, so it was a bit long for getting off the grid. I was happy to tuck in behind the front guys, get some tow and see what would happen.

When things settled down, John, Paul and I were dicing for the lead for the first few laps and were very evenly matched so that none of us could get clear, but we were also dropping the Ferrari behind. Up until Paul and John colliding, we had all been doing pretty well at staying out of each others way at critical points and just going single file through the corners. In these little cars it was always going to be tough running so close using tow not to have some sort of collision at some point, and given the high speeds of Reims, any collision was always likely to be pretty messy. It is a shame it turned out that way, and for sure I was lucky not to get hit by Paul or John as they spun.

After they were gone I just tried to concentrate on staying on track and pulling clear of the Ferrari. While it was 250 yards back it was still getting a sniff of a tow on the straights, but then it dropped back once I started doing laps on around my qually pace towards the end of the race. I got about 10 seconds clear at one point and only made one error on the second to last lap when I out braked myself at a hairpin and lost 6 or so seconds negotiating my way out of the haybales.

I am looking forward to Castle Coombe already, as that is always good fun in the 65 cars.

See you next time,

Rob

Sim Racing Links