Riverside

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:24 AM

qualified in 2nd place .  At start i keeped my line on the outside but was touched in the 1st turn ( sorry , perhaps my fault ?) .
Then disconnected in 3rd lap : Car in front disappeared and reappeared , then alone on the track , then disco....
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,924 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 09:56 AM

qual 11th :(  screwed up in first 25 min... then improved slightly in last 5m but not better than 11th

saw some contacts ahead of me thru the esses and snaked thru - with attrition i was up to 6th... Tim overtook me so back to p7 - then Tim spun and i had no where to go, T-boned him :(  sorry Tim.. hope you were able to continue!
wasn't sure if any damage, didn't 'feel'  like it - but then i thought maybe the nose was crunched and so started to watch the eng temps.... ok, that's good so i started to go see if i could catch Rudy...  when in T1 i got wiggly... the esses had me out of sorts and finally up the embankment and on my lid  ~

was fun til then.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:07 AM

For Fuck's sake!!!

One moment you're in the middle of a great battle... the next.. your brain derps up and forget to downshift to 1st gear... going wide and stuck in the fence... FOR FUCK'S SAKE!!!!
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#4 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,116 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 28 September 2019 - 11:24 AM

After a mixup in team communication I had to switch to the Honda. Grabbed the setup from Watkins Glen 71 race. Did two qually laps then crashed going into the pit.  Adjusted gears and detuned the suspension. Got in another two laps in the last 5 min.  Started last and watched the mayhem in the esses from a good distance. Settled in to see what the car would do and was pleased at how easy this Honda was to drive. Had a fun batle with Don Dodge.  Happy to finish 8th considering everything.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#5 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 12:58 PM

You may not know it --- and I hope you don't --- but you get coins for your team at the end of the year when you finish in a high position in otherwise worthless categories like highest climber or on-track laps. Obviously, good drivers are never going to be great climbers because they're starting out at the head of the pack in the first place. Fleurke, van Drunen, and Pompert are the worst climbers in D1. If that's a surprise to you, I'm happy for your bliss. Similarly, who gives a single damn about staying on track? A few years ago at Rouen Col Bentley went into the dirt on the left of the track in every lap to widen his approach to the last corner. If he had a single on-track lap, I didn't see it, but he finished second. There is also the category of "most laps completed," and there, of course, you will see the Fleurkes, van Drunen, and Pomperts of the game. You will also see someone like me, who drives so slowly he can't help but finish.

This year, because our team finishes barely half the races it starts and beats the crap out of the team cars in the process, I've been reduced lately to some more modest goals for the remainder of the season: finish, be the highest climber, and be on track every lap. Year-end coins in those categories, right? Yeah, you dream of podiums and going to dinner with a cute umbrella girl. Me, I want to finish the next damn lap.

I improved my odds in the climbing category by doing a 5:17 outlap and then watching TV for the next 20 minutes. Note: The report has me as two drivers again with two laps of 3:34 and 0:00. That isn't remotely true. I had one lap of 5:17.14 as the replay clearly shows, and I demand credit for the idiot lap that put me in a well-deserved 17th and last position on the grid.

My hope for 100% on-track laps died in the first ten seconds when Niky spun for no reason that I could see and I T-boned him, knocking us both into the weeds. I came within a whisker of winding up on my roof. That was my only off-track experience. Sadly, because unlike two weeks ago I could catch neither Don Dodge nor Bob Holada, I was only the 2nd highest climber. Yes, how proud of me my mother would be.

I did finish though, two laps down to Tames as usual, but I got 31 more laps in the bag to increase my second-place stranglehold in that category. Yeah, oAo Hall of Fame here I come. Sigh.

#6 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:12 PM

View PostTomy AFX, on 28 September 2019 - 09:24 AM, said:

qualified in 2nd place .  At start i keeped my line on the outside but was touched in the 1st turn ( sorry , perhaps my fault ?) .
Then disconnected in 3rd lap : Car in front disappeared and reappeared , then alone on the track , then disco....

I think that was me......but IIRC, I was "hugging" the inside....?? Next thing I am going to do is check server replay.....getting the fireworks ready ;)

It was good to be back........not much has changed I see? :)   Thanks for the space to those who realised resistance was futile, made my recovery much easier.......no need to apologize to Bob H again as he knows I can not keep stupidity at bay for a whole race.....almost did though......3/4's of a lap short of.

#7 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 01:41 PM

View PostMick Chapman, on 28 September 2019 - 01:12 PM, said:

I think that was me......but IIRC, I was "hugging" the inside....?? Next thing I am going to do is check server replay.....getting the fireworks ready ;)

It was good to be back........not much has changed I see? :)   Thanks for the space to those who realised resistance was futile, made my recovery much easier.......no need to apologize to Bob H again as he knows I can not keep stupidity at bay for a whole race.....almost did though......3/4's of a lap short of.

Uh Oh Tomy (my fireworks back in the box).......It was totally my fault.....yep, you left plenty of room to your left, but I was not going for a pass (as I was no where near the edge of the track, but was caught out with your reduction of speed (IMO as it was a start close to turn 1, I think it was possible to make corner without lifting, unless you were changing gear....Any, way,,,,,,like I said, my bad, and sorry to the team...Please, if a penalty is called for, ensure it is I and not HBR who pays the price.

Grats Mr Oud....superb job, and you bever got to find out if my setup was upto anything :)

Edited by Mick Chapman, 28 September 2019 - 03:46 PM.

#8 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 28 September 2019 - 02:58 PM

Hats of to the podium, I raise my glass.
That was a thriller: As usual my qualifying was 1-1.5 seconds slower than my PB but I am always slower during the races because I try to avoid mistakes.
But tonight I will dream of screaming Hondas hunting me down the roads coming closer and closer... and then the white whales will bite of my legs. Well I should dream something else as I was lucky as shit (if I dare to say that).
First Tim gave me a hard time and it must have been even harder for him being held of lap by lap. But I knew the strength of the better Ferrari and made sure to get the better exit at a couple of important positions (after T8 for instance). When we approached to a back marker at T1 I slowed down a bit to avoid danger which caused Tim to spin. I am very sorry.
This was not my intention. I just lifted the throttle because I thought overtaking in the esses is a bad idea. I always had in mind not to damage the car because Bend Racing is poor.
So I was still in 5th when a couple of laps later Mati was huge in my mirrors and the same story started again. We had a great battle and Mati was clearly faster but I had the better car and just tried to keep cool and make use of it as good as I can. And in the last lap he overtook me with a great move. Unfortunately for him he made contact in T8 and I was through once again.
Phew! Fortune favors fools!

Thank you very very much Tim and Mati for being so smart and great drivers! It was a great battle and it was masterful how you kept cool and in control and we did not crash!
Great sport especially for a noob like me :thumbs: :beerchug:

#9 mvillasante

mvillasante

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Automobilista, rF2, AC, iRacing
    And Wreckfest when I'm pissed off... :D

Posted 28 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

I was told of the race about 45' before Qualy. Downloaded the track with Enrique Farina's help, set up the car after six or seven laps of track recognition, and went out to Qualy. I "practised" in Qualy because I didn't know how the car would react to fast-pace setups, so I qualified with 95 lts / 21 galls approximately. 8th place in Qualy wih 1:46.96 with the Japanese bathtub, not bad!

So the race started, I moved well and quickly gained P7, then two pilots in T1 crashed and out of the blue, I was P5. But it wasn't all a bed of roses: Spin in T8 :Flush: . Oh, god! Why me? Well, I focused again on the race as quickly as I could and rejoined the track in P13. I started to climb after some spins until I reached Kayo's tail. After some laps of a totally loyal and respectful dispute I finally can reach again P7, just at Rudy's back. Another spun, everybody wins one position, P6 now. At the Esses I was way faster than him but couldn't move over because of his defensive moves -At one time I thought he was slowing down on purpose, playing very wisely to piss me off-

T2 on the outside, I quote Senna: "Now it has to be my way". And it was :yucky: AGAIN SPUN! 5 laps remaining, 9 seconds away from Rudy, is this the end? Shall I settle with P6? What is the sense of life? So got back again to the track and pushed like a maniac and finally placed my beloved Japanese bathtub into his tail two laps before checkered.

Starting the last lap I finally outpass Rudy in a very respectful move (I placed the car on the inside and he lifted the foot to let me in in T3), and started to wave the people, smile and thank the team for the great car I had...

Until... :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy: :Eyecrazy:

...Don spun in T8. I could not avoid him (Sorry for hitting you, Don!). I shoved those waves up where the sun can't reach...

So, I got a P6 (I think there have been some reclassifications because I appear as P5 in the standings).

To sum up, I had a great time at the track, made some nice moves with Rudy, mr Chapan at Lotus, Kayo and Bo. Thanks to all of you for letting me take place on the grid! See you @ Mosport!

#10 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 351 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 28 September 2019 - 10:10 PM

Hay, no worries Rudy, we had a great race, was hoping to hassle you into making a mistake, but you held on really well, the killer whale will have another go at the prancing horse next time, or maybe not!   As for my race, well I managed to finish 7th after all so reasonably happy with that, I was too eager and paid the penalty,      Racing on line, and in the real world, is about making your own luck, some times you win, sometimes you donít, but thatís the fun of it all.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 28 September 2019 - 10:11 PM.

#11 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 12:24 AM

In my first qualifying lap I hit Alain really hard. Sorry man, I tried but I had nowhere to go. I was sure my qually was over, but due to some magic no apparent damage was done to my car. So I continued and managed to get within 0,3 sec of my Pb.

I was ready for a good fight for this one a couple of days before the actual race. I had seen Francois being pretty fast online, and George was offered to drive our Ferarri (which is what he should have done imho). After T1 I noticed something had already happened behind me as I was 500 mtrs ahead of everyone. Rest of the race was keeping the car in one piece. Great job by everyone in letting me pass.
My biggest challenge was to stay focused. I started to make silly mistakes and almost got stuck in a fence. Don't tell my teamboss, but my remedy was to try and go for a Pb in the last few laps. That didn't work out and in hindsight I took quite a bit of risk in the process.

Right now I feel like an in between guy. Last week I had my first go in D1, which was not a great succes. Yesterday's victory came a bit too easy. So I feel like D1.5 right now, inside the wormhole between universes.  

One last note, I see more people practicing on-line, I like it :-)

See you

#12 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 29 September 2019 - 01:40 PM

Video is live!

https://youtu.be/1nJTNnyIAXk

Edited by MK3424, 29 September 2019 - 02:21 PM.

Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

Sim Racing Links