Preseason Testing

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#121 Scott Hovanec

Scott Hovanec

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 04:56 PM

While not attempting to excuse my poor showing last night, I'll explain ... the problem was attempting to test too many cars in too short a time, and not getting a true handle on any.  Only had two or three nights practicing, tried nearly all the marques with the 'factory default' settings - which has been pointed out isn't a real 'setup - add to that my limited setup ability, and a recipe for disaster was in the making.

John Jogan did send a Ferrari setup on Saturday night (I believe), but didn't have a chance to test it much - then on Monday, two hours before the race I applied the patch for the Porsche 12 hour package then tried that for the first time.  By now several setups had been posted so I played with a couple, but ultimately went back to the F430 - about 5 minutes before practice, not having turned a lap in the Ferrari since Saturday.

As several have pointed out above, you have to have a platform and setup that suits your style - and I never spent enough time in any to get truly comfortable.  Agree with Ryan's comment that last night wasn't fun - but it's not the fault of the mod, the track or the other drivers.  I did it to myself.

Now ... there's what, 12 chassis/engine options to choose from for the P2 test next week?  Oh.  My.  GAWD!  Where to start?  An open-top as they provide better visibility?  A coupe?  The tried and tested Porsche Spyder, the experimental rotary Mazda?  I'm suffering from what I'll call the KITS Syndrome - Kid In a Toy Store.  I want to 'play' with them all, want to provide feedback to the design team - but I simply don't have time to test more than one or two at most.  The trick is going to be selecting the right one (or two) and sticking with them, learning them and getting a comfortable setup ... and leaving remainder alone.

Hopefully, then, next week's race will be more enjoyable.
"Formula 1 for kids.  Sports cars for men" - Michele Alboreto

#122 JTninja

JTninja

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 05:51 PM

As Ryan said, the Aston was slow in a straight line. Id try to drag race other cars but would fail terribly. Corners was a bit better, but never dipped under 2:15 in the race (though that could be due to the loss of the front splitter, cough ryan cough ;) )

View Postjohn jogan, on Dec 22 2009, 02:53 PM, said:

whoa!  what a difference a thousand rpm's makes!!!!  after looking over the engine power data tim supplied, i took the aston back to RA for some more testing.  the default rev limiter is set at 6200 rpm.  according to tim's engine data, the peak power for the aston is 6900 rpm with peak torque at 5900 rpm.  with that data in hand, i raised the rev limiter to 7300 and changed the gears so that i was right around 5800-5900 after shifting up to the next gear.  this thing came ALIVE!!!lol.  2:07's with the 12hr package and wings at 3/16.  i dipped into the 2:06's after about 10 laps.  stable as heck and pulls along at 141 through the kink.  the only thing i could see wrong is the brakes.  they take a little longer to stop and build heat higher than the other cars i've tested.

Wish Id have known. Best I could get was about 132 in the kink with 3/18.
-JT Tami

Goodbye GT1 Corvette!

#123 john jogan

john jogan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 06:58 PM

yeah, once i found the power band, she came outta the carousel like a banshee!  that led to the higher speed through the kink.
Posted Image                     practice, fool

#124 James Walker

James Walker

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 12:16 AM

Had lots of fun racing, the cars all seem to be fairly even now.

I've attached the setup that I ran, all credit goes to Drew for it.  Running 3/20 wings so it's not the fastest in a straight line but very stable & consistent.  Front end needs a little bit of work as it still bottoms out under heavy braking.  Set radiator to 2, water/oil temps never went above 96/98 deg.C respectively.  Drake ducts were set at 4 (59:41 bias) with wear of 2.82cm Front & 3.21cm Rear at the end of the race.  Thanks again Drew :bowdown:

Also managed to figure out why I was warping all over the place during the OWS race & thankfully didn't have any connection issues this time.

Finally thanks to Tim/Bruce & all those 'behind-the-scenes' for letting us play with their new toy.

James

Attached Files

Please support the loyal workers of Johnnie Walkers Whisky in Kilmarnock & sign the petition

http://www.keepjohnn...nkilmarnock.com

Posted Image

#125 scottcalif

scottcalif

Scott Arrington

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:09 AM

View PostBruce Fisher, on Dec 22 2009, 11:34 AM, said:

I'd add the BMW to the "good to go" list :)

hehe - yes!  And the server is now running too :)

I"d say the BMW is faster than the other cars,atleast at Road America since I was able to run a 1/11 downforce configuration with it and I was able to hit over 170mph.In just pure hotlap trim I was 1.4 seconds per lap faster in the BMW than the Ford GT but it was down to having more top end speed and still maintaining the grip through the turns that allowed that.Honestly I didn"t even try a 1/11 setup with the Ford GT because it wasn"t all that hooked up with the 2/16 I ran at Road America.I purposely stayed out of the BMW since I knew I would be quite a bit faster in that car and the fact that I really do like the looks of the GT40 and want to continue to try and develope this car more and more.It looks like you might be able to get away with alot less DF in the Porsche as well and still get it to hook up,when I tried the Porsche it reminded me alot of the grip levels the GT2 Porsche had which is was more than the Vette and GT40 have.I"ll test it after Xmas and see if it"s the same as the Bmw as far as pure speed goes.Haven"t tried the Viper yet because I know Drew is more than capable of setting that car up and getting maximum speed out of it but from what it looked like at Road America was that the Viper pulled good until Drew shifted inot 6th gear and then it kinda fell on it"s face and I was able to drive around him.

Scott
Posted Image

#126 TimCollier

TimCollier

Champion Motorsports

• VOR Admins
  • 1,200 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:08 AM

View Postscottcalif, on Dec 23 2009, 06:09 AM, said:

I"d say the BMW is faster than the other cars,atleast at Road America since I was able to run a 1/11 downforce configuration with it and I was able to hit over 170mph.In just pure hotlap trim I was 1.4 seconds per lap faster in the BMW than the Ford GT but it was down to having more top end speed and still maintaining the grip through the turns that allowed that.Honestly I didn"t even try a 1/11 setup with the Ford GT because it wasn"t all that hooked up with the 2/16 I ran at Road America.I purposely stayed out of the BMW since I knew I would be quite a bit faster in that car and the fact that I really do like the looks of the GT40 and want to continue to try and develope this car more and more.It looks like you might be able to get away with alot less DF in the Porsche as well and still get it to hook up,when I tried the Porsche it reminded me alot of the grip levels the GT2 Porsche had which is was more than the Vette and GT40 have.I"ll test it after Xmas and see if it"s the same as the Bmw as far as pure speed goes.Haven"t tried the Viper yet because I know Drew is more than capable of setting that car up and getting maximum speed out of it but from what it looked like at Road America was that the Viper pulled good until Drew shifted inot 6th gear and then it kinda fell on it"s face and I was able to drive around him.

Scott

Scott,

I have noticed something in the past couple of days that allowed the BMW tires to have a little bit of an advantage over the other cars....so stay tuned for an update on that.

Also, I have a fix for the Vette that is yielding fantastic results....puts it on equal ground in terms of handling.  I'll try and post those along with the prototype engine updates this evening.
Tim Collier - Champion Motorsports

Co-Developer ILMS 2010 Mod

#127 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:52 AM

View PostTimCollier, on Dec 23 2009, 12:08 PM, said:

I'll try and post those along with the prototype engine updates this evening.

Christmas comes early :D
Posted Image
Posted Image

#128 Paul Danrich

Paul Danrich

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

Oh shoot I was gonna say if the Beemer was good to go sign Scott & I up for it for the season.  I can always use a 1.5 to ?? second advantage over the other cars:)  Everyones biggest concern is one car being much better than another, but for how close the cars were last season I'm confident we'll all get it close.  Even a .5 second advantage of any car is walkin away big time.  Good thing everyone is pitching in to get this all worked out.  Even so I bet we have a bunch of patches along the way next season to try to keep all the cars as equal as possible...There's so many variables I'm amazed they're as close as they are :beerchug:

#129 Rob Janca

Rob Janca

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 06:32 PM

Haha John yes you were sticking the 997 in there alot! Finally i said i should let him go, i think im holding you up :o And i did notice i would come out of the final corner with you and you would pull away a little, even when i was in your draft. I did mention something earlier a few weeks ago about the draft not really "drafting" in the GT cars at Le Mans when i tested them out with Rick one night. I would pull maybe 3-5 MPH on him before i had to brake down the back straights.

I DNF'd due to the game crashing on me early on. I had restarted it about an hour before i got onto the server and had only the game running, and TS.
EVERY DRIVER SHOULD READ THIS!
http://forums.speedg...showtopic=29154

iRMopars from CSL

PS3 Username: Mighty_mopar

Posted Image

#130 Greg Munch

Greg Munch

• ADC
  • 568 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

JT Pami,  Thank You!  ...for your help.  I entered race but found my setup didn't and controller didn't either - no reverse?

Thanks again anyways.

Edited by Greg Munch, 23 December 2009 - 09:45 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#131 scottcalif

scottcalif

Scott Arrington

• Members
  • 220 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 10:16 PM

View PostTimCollier, on Dec 23 2009, 11:08 AM, said:

Scott,

I have noticed something in the past couple of days that allowed the BMW tires to have a little bit of an advantage over the other cars....so stay tuned for an update on that.

Also, I have a fix for the Vette that is yielding fantastic results....puts it on equal ground in terms of handling.  I'll try and post those along with the prototype engine updates this evening.

sounds good Tim,can"t wait to maybe run the Vette in a preseason race.I wanna run an American car in the upcoming season so it"s down to the Ford Gt and the Vette so hopefully you can recessitate the Corvette and put it back towards the top where it belongs.

Scott
Posted Image

#132 JETninja

JETninja

• Members
  • 178 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 11:47 PM

Hmmm...tried the P2 Mazda Lola Rotary and R10 for a bit. Not much P driving in awhile so I'm no expert...but engine braking seems a bit too high. And I don't mean on just down shifting.....I did a test - I can be in 1st fear and accelerate a bit (no wheel spin) then let off the gas and turn at the same time...and the Mazda would spin. I know my track modded M3 is not the same thing, but its not that far off and I can't do that, and I don't think these cars on Slicks (at least warm ones) would either. Specially with the much higher 1st gear then a street car. Maybe in the Wet, but not in the dry.  

Other things....

R10 Mirrors were wack...not showing what was behind me at all
R10 on mediums, hard to get to temp though that could be me...and it came with an interesting setup stock.
The engine is a beast though...great fun!!

Edited by JETninja, 23 December 2009 - 11:47 PM.

John Tami

The Alfa of Andrea de Cesaris - one of the most feared chicanes in the mid-80s.

[Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#133 Wyatt Gooden

Wyatt Gooden

• Mybroga
  • 71 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 08:50 PM

Hey guys, sorry I ended up not being able to make that test session last week. From what practice I did in the Ferrari though I just couldn't get that car to 'behave'. It was always doing really odd things when I try to get it to rotate. For example in the carousel I could not for the life of me get the car to smoothly rotate through there... it was always understeer/oversteer/understeer weirdness even after tweaking the set quite a bit. Really unpredictable and almost impossible to get it to do what I wanted. I've only tried the f430 and the ford at Sebring so far, but I will say that the Ford felt much more like a car. To me the Ferrari just didn't want to be driven on the limit, and no I am not driving the car unrealistically hard. It just doesn't want to be pushed passed a certain point. Perhaps It was intentionally made like that for the guys who want to go for a Sunday drive out there :P. I really think that the car should have more of a slip angle to work with.
Race drivers exist in a world that is measured in fractions of seconds...decisions that could be the difference between life and death, are made in the blink of an eye...you do not allow yourself to be held to ransom by emotions, especially fear.

Sim Racing Links