41 replies to this topic

#21 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 13 August 2017 - 05:39 PM

I've had a G25 for 9-10 years.  It's locked on to an old desk and I use an old (all metal) office chair.  I do not use any of the assist options in GPL.  I've also been racing Rfactor for the last year (not very succesfully I might add) I find that the steering body gets quite hot with that software. Another racer who races useing both simulations vrified that Rfactor is harder on a wheel than GPL.

Question   If my G25 dies and I haven't purchased a new wheel . Does turning on the assist in GPL make it easier to use the keyboard?

Edited by bobho-in, 13 August 2017 - 05:47 PM.

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#22 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:00 PM

Hi guys.  Time to resurrect this old thread.

I'm looking into buying a new wheel. My old Logitech G25 isn't calibrating on start up quite right. About 2-3 degrees off center. It's old and it seems like time to replace it.

I'm looking at the Logitech G29/G930 and the Thrustmaster Gt Racing wheel, T300RS, as well as a few other $200 - $400 wheels.  I think I'd like to go with a belt drive instead of gear driven.

I've seen a lot of reviews on YouTube and read quite a few, but nothing has really convinced me on which to buy. I'm leaning toward a Thrustmaster.

I'd love a direct drive wheel, but they are over my pay grade.

If you were buying a new wheel today, what would you buy?
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#23 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 09 December 2018 - 04:53 AM

I recommend the G29.

#24 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 11 December 2018 - 07:39 AM

The G29 is a good wheel... but i have seen post of others that have issues with the shifter not being recognised...
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#25 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 07:05 PM

Does anyone use a Thrustmaster T300?  I just got one and was wondering if there is anything special I need to do in GPL to get it dialed in.  

It's a much smoother drive then my old G25, and it seems much more precise. I'm going to have to change my driving style and get used to this.

#26 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

Hi Rich
I run a T500 don't think it's much difference to the T300.
Head to page 18 and he show's how to setup a T500, pretty much what I did
( The only thing I did difference was F/F maximum force mine is around 300)
I like a heaver wheel.

http://gplworld.org/..._ENG_v1.6.1.pdf

#27 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 December 2018 - 03:52 PM

Thanks Ed

#28 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 25 December 2018 - 05:48 PM

Also: try the ffb3 mod, it really did wonders to the driving feel of my T300!

http://srmz.net/inde...050#entry128564

#29 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:14 AM

Good point Kayo. I'm using a G25 wheel and pedals (have no shifter) since autumn 2017, also using ff3b patch for FFB. To me it gives the best progressive feedback/feel. ;)
Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#30 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:21 PM

TSW evolution

#31 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:38 AM

When Arturo Pereira bought a G27, he gave me a loan (forever if I had wanted to, Arturo is a great friend). Three or four years ago I bought a G27, and I was able to return the G25 to Arturo. The only thing I miss about the G25 is the gearshift lever, because at least I could use it as a sequential, the one that comes with the G27 is very imprecise and doesn't have the option of using it as a sequential. Therefore, tired of erring changes with the gear lever, I use, although not historically correct, the paddles. Also using ff3b patch for FFB.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#32 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 818 posts

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:32 PM

In sympathy with ZZ's purchase of a Thrustmaster T300 a week ago, I bought a similar one (TX Ferrari edition) with a two-pedal setup. In my first three days of ownership I set it up and put it back in its box four different times. Until that device arrived I had probably been the last person on Earth still using a M/S Sidewinder wheel/pedals. I have never used anything else. I own three sets of them, one still new-in-box with FFB, because I like continuity and familiarity in my sim life. This new TX wheel manifestly was delivering neither of those comforting feelings to me in the otherwise happy afterglow of Christmas.  I have struggled to find out where I have been going wrong, so for the benefit of others who may still be inhabiting the primitive world in which I formerly lived --- a world inhabited by birds with teeth, non-linearity, and other obscene terrors --- permit me to give you my new and improved Cheat Sheet for Steering Wheel Success.

As nearly as I can tell, the entire reason for using a modern wheel is to gain more degrees of rotation (DOR) over earlier (e.g., M/S Sidewinder) models, which had been limited in the range of 180 or 270 degrees. New ones deliver 900 DOR, maybe more. With more DOR, you can reduce the steering ratio of the wheel from (as an example) 18:1 to 9:1 or less because DOR and steering ratio are mathematically linked by what is known as Simpson's Constant (yes, that Bob Simpson). I could explain this in further detail, but Mr. Simpson already did in this thread: http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=8807. And, as I was saying, you want a lower steering ratio because not only does it make your fine touch with the wheel even finer, it helps you get through hairpins in Monaco without using the "steering hack" setting in the core.ini file.

Summary, so far: Your M/S wheel has a fixed DOR of 270. Simpson's Constant tells you that your likely ideal steering ratio is going to be 18:1. Unless you're using the steering hack, you're not getting through the Grand Hotel Hairpin except with some pulleys and pig grease. But the Constant also tells you that if you double your DOR you can halve the steering ratio. So hello 540 DOR and smooth sailing through Mirabeau; bye bye pulley and piggy. Is this a great game or what?

It sure would seem that way, but then why did I keep sticking the new wheel back in the box with a few well-chosen oaths every eight hours? Because I'd forgotten about one other little detail concerning steering, this one called steering linearity. It's the setting you make in the wheel/pedal calibration page of GPL. I think it may have been part of the original game design when players were more likely to be using joysticks than actual steering wheels. I won't go into the math here, mainly because I think it's not so much math as it is magic juju, but in essence you want linearity with steering wheels and non-linearity with joysticks. There is at least one exception --- a big one in my case, of course --- and that is with a M/S Sidewinder wheel, where you want that linearity slider pegged almost as far as it can go in the non-linear direction. The reason for this is obvious: Any company that can design a product like Windows Vista is non-linear by definition. So in the entire 20+ years I've been playing this game, I've never moved that slider anywhere but w-a-y to the right almost as a religious ritual when calibrating my toy.

At about 0100 this morning I picked up an email from Bo --- I'd been pounding him and ZZ for three days with my hot, salty tears of frustration --- who advised that until I moved that linearity slider to the left with the Thrustmaster wheel I was going to continue having trouble driving the car to my psychiatrist's office. He was right. A couple of hours ago I put the M/S wheel back in its box, set up the TX wheel and pedals for the fifth time, and within an hour had PBs in the Cooper at Mt. Juic and the McLaren 289 at Magny Cours.

Anyway, that's my Happy Holiday story. Perhaps some of the technical details have suffered a bit in translation, but I cannot be expected to take responsibility for that. Besides, I've been drinking quite a bit lately, but you probably knew that already.

One last thing: Would anyone like to buy a fine set of three M/S Sidewinder wheels/pedals? These have been only lightly used and never with much force, determination, direction, or skill.  :)

#33 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 02 January 2019 - 03:18 PM

I want to thank Pepe for asking and getting my help and Bo's to help him setup his wheel properly. I also want to thank him for the posting above this.  I had totally forgotten about the Steering wheel hack.

After reading Professor Simpson's treatise on Steering wheels and Degrees of Rotation, I came to the conclusion, I had not configured my wheels correctly for the last,  oh  10 years.  So after using my trusty old Slide rule, and consulting Madame ZooDoo  <she knew I was coming !!???. I have changed my settings to 900 rotation in my Thrustmaster control, then changed my GPL steering setups to an amazing 5 to 1, in GEM my FFC to 380, and latency and damping  to 0, and unclicked the Steering wheel hack.

I am now doing my normally slow, but consistent times at or around my old PB's. My wheel is feeling great and I  now really feel in control, and the realism I feel is much better.   I really feel as if I'm driving the car, much more then I've ever felt on my Logitech's.   GPL has come alive again.

Thank you Bob Simpson and Pepe, I can now really try to catch you guys.

ZZ

#34 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

This is good stuff.  Pepe, you make more sense half drunk than I do sober, so keep it up. :)  I've just changed my settings accordingly, and am going to try them out later.  What about the spring centering settings on the Logitech software?  I currently have it set to 10% - I have no idea why, it just seemed like a good idea at the time.

#35 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 03 January 2019 - 12:14 PM

Gee whiz ZZ  I thought I could always count on you being behind me.   Hope I'll be able to keep up now.
Bob Holada
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#36 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 January 2019 - 07:25 PM

View Postbobho-in, on 03 January 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

Gee whiz ZZ  I thought I could always count on you being behind me.   Hope I'll be able to keep up now.
Bob Holada

Not so fast Bob. I'm still going to be slow. I'm going to take it beat one person each race. By the end of season I should be #1.   lol   :yikes:

#37 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 750 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:04 PM

Well, the results are most interesting... I went full hog 900 degrees, but the lowest steering ratio I could get (on 69 Ferrari) was 5:1, so I've wound it back to 600 degrees. After experimenting with no steering hack, I had to switch it back on, because I couldn't get round the station hairpin at Monaco.  Anyway, after about 5 laps I had easily broken my lap record which I had only recently set.

Pepe - don't you realise what this means?!  We weren't just shi... er... mediocre drivers - it was our steering settings all along!! :P

#38 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:01 PM

After reading your advices , ZZ , I was hoping a lot with canam at Magny...  I have adjust 900 to 600  and 5:1 to 10:1 . ( 900 and 5:1 the car was incontrolable)

And I'm 3sec lower from my best times with a lot of spins .  

The sole advantage with the wheel is a better control in breaking when the car is twisting .

Now I'm looking for a better pad than my logitech "dual action"... :orangeconfused:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#39 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,458 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 January 2019 - 07:06 AM

I've set the wheel at 540 degrees and 8:1 strg ratio for almost all mods and tracks. 100% linearity. No steering hack, that's only for wheels with lesser range.
Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#40 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostTomy AFX, on 04 January 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

After reading your advices , ZZ , I was hoping a lot with canam at Magny...  I have adjust 900 to 600  and 5:1 to 10:1 . ( 900 and 5:1 the car was incontrolable)

And I'm 3sec lower from my best times with a lot of spins .  

The sole advantage with the wheel is a better control in breaking when the car is twisting .

Now I'm looking for a better pad than my logitech "dual action"... :orangeconfused:

Tried a neGcon?

Sim Racing Links