Spa

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:12 AM

Heck... blown engine on lap 2?  I practiced a 17-lap run with this gearing, during which time I twice over-revved it, but it didn't blow.  Random. :(

#2 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:26 AM

I decided to play it safe , starting from the back and see how it comes...
On lap 2 at Burnenville , a stopped car in the middle and Bang ! Snow on the screen , don't know if I'm in the grass field or stuck in a house...

#3 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:55 AM

I screwed up, no other way of describing it. I knew it was Bob's race to lose but I wasn't going to make it easy for him. Plus he was making enough little errors to convince me that pushing might reward me with a passing opportunity. Unfortunately I caught a rear wheel on the grass on the run down to La Source and with so much "street furniture" around I was bound to hit something, (Which I did - hard). I think the telegraph pole was with me in the cockpit.

Really sorry for the team, I should have just settled for 2nd, we certainly had enough of a lead over 3rd to almost push it home.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,585 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:37 AM

a most interesting day-
last nite i did a PB (3.23.5) but didn't expect to repeat it, however i did think i'd be top 5....
also last nite the race setup (quick) was one based on the Q setup, but i dropped a valve - 1st engine issue in 2 weeks
then this morning in warmup before qualy, i blew the engine! so i decided to race the slower race setup.

on to QUAL... 1st lap out, about 1/2 way around my sound drops out - NEVER - had that happen and my g25 reverted to default FF :o  what?!
so i did a lap at 29 something (mid-field) and exited after stuffing it in an embankment pressing to better 29, with default FF  (wrong)

came back with 14or so minutes, but GPL has dropped my time :P  
wait for final 5 minutes and end up doing a 3.25... good enough for.... yep, starting spot #5  -  ok... i can make that work

green flag and again i lose a  spot to Hutch.... p6 and follow him for a few laps when he doesn't slow enough for leSource - back to p5
from then on it was either attrition, or .... having someone come up mighty quick in my mirrors.
Hutch had recovered and stayed close for a bit, but i was able to slowly put some gap between us.
i think Mick was first in the eagle.. no idea where he came from, but i was able to hold him off for a lap and he suddenly was not there (disco?)
next Claudio, i know he was recovering from an off track excursion, i think i heard him down in the dell ;)
but he had that Ferrari singing! and it was all i could do to keep him at bay (where is bay?)   til euRouge a couple laps later, and Claudio was no longer behind me :(
((( secretly :)  <<<  )))
then it gets  a little blurry, staying focused here is as difficult for me as anywhere yet i look and i'll be darned if i'm not p2!!  huh? attrition is all i can guess, i didn't overtake anyone.

Bob S is 30s ahead and Hutch p3 is about same behind ... so all i need to do is be consistent and finish.
then 1/2 way round last lap i see i'm down to 1.4g  YIKES!!! no ! remember this is my BACK UP setup... i'm not sure how much fuel i started with.... 25g i think ...

so with +1m back to Hutch, i eased off and was able to bring it across the line for a checker p2  yay!

congrats Bob S.. had us covered
and Hutch for a magnificent driver in the beast -
also, job well done to teammate Pepe!

Don Dodge the only other still running
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#5 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 828 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 10:39 AM

Note to Claude......if you had carried on in the right direction, there is a gap between the hedge and the armco............I admire your determination though.

Grats Bob S....great job, great season......

and grats too to Bruce and Andrew....

and to Don and Pepe for finishing...

Edited by Mick Chapman, 09 June 2018 - 10:42 AM.

#6 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:00 AM

Quite a race!  The penalty for losing concentration is severe.  I wrecked on my warm-up lap, so no qualifying time.  We had a little bit of racing on the first lap, then people started falling out.  Got lucking missing a few wrecks, then soldiered on to the finish with a fifth!  How the hell does that happen?  What a track.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#7 MK3424

MK3424

Camera man

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:28 AM

View PostTomy AFX, on 09 June 2018 - 09:26 AM, said:

I decided to play it safe , starting from the back and see how it comes...
On lap 2 at Burnenville , a stopped car in the middle and Bang ! Snow on the screen , don't know if I'm in the grass field or stuck in a house...

Sadly... that was me: ran wide in Burnenville....hit grass and lost control.... flew off the track... got bumped back onto the track... video wil follow soon....

#8 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 538 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 11:36 AM

In the practice before qualifying I nailed a 3:27.67, a PB by more than a second. On my second qualifying lap I managed a 3:29 and then stuffed it hard, hard, hard. It was not the time for doubts, but doubts I was having in abundance. I was never able in two weeks to complete a single 18-lap race until late last night. The words of Jean-Paul Sarti in "Grand Prix" kept dancing in my ears: "I think if any of us imagined --- really imagined --- what it would be like to go into a tree at 150 miles per hour we would probably never get into the cars at all, none of us. So it has always seemed to me that to do something very dangerous requires a certain absence of imagination." I think I've got way too much imagination for this game. I can almost feel my legs splintering when I run straight into the side of a barn.

Like Schotten, Dundrod, and Tandil it seemed obvious to me that doing well here would be a matter not so much of defeating other drivers but of defeating one's own inability to concentrate completely for 60+ minutes. Experience has taught me that the fast guys are going to go fast and they will eventually leave me alone; the slower guys will fall back and eventually leave me alone. All I have to do is to keep it on the track. I did that, eighteen times in a row. I was also the most consistent (but for John who crashed out half-way through). Those impressive statistics come from driving so slowly --- my fastest lap being a laughable 3:34 --- that even if I did go into the weeds, I wouldn't have enough speed to dent a birthday cake. But who cares?  The track map says that there are 21 turns at Spa. I find that a bit odd, since I can count 23 turns where if you make a mistake, we're going to have a memorial service for you next weekend.

Anyway, it was a great day for the Vultures, flying in formation for the second straight weekend.  Five starters (counting the honorary Vulture, Mr. Hutchinson) and five finishers. We're voting to run Spa67 not just every year but three times each season.  :)

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 09 June 2018 - 11:39 AM.

#9 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,010 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:00 PM

It was a forgettable day, but it could have been worse. I made a rude mistake in Masta's kink, and went to the railroad tracks, but I was able to get back on the track and the car, miraculously, went straight. I was in front of Mick and started to regain positions. Mick passed me easily, and the two of us in tandem started passing some cars. When he was chasing Bruce, he lost a wheel going to Statvelot. So I was behind Bruce's Lotus, I went too deep on the brakes to Eau Rouge and finished my race, luckily the car wasn't too damaged.
Congratulations to Bob, the guys on the podium and everyone who could finish.
Thanks for the tip, Mick!!

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 09 June 2018 - 02:17 PM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 02:03 PM

I spent week before last trying to get the place nailed down and up until last Sunday I'd likely have done OK  pace-wise. For a whole host of reasons I didn't get any meaningful practice this week. When I did drive I had gear calibration issues and I crashed every lap for added  emphasis. I finally started doing 26s again last night but come this morning I couldn't concentrate.

Since I knew I'd have to take a wait and see approach to get into Q the thought was to play it smooth and not get too worried about anything and the event would evolve without me forcing things one way or another... that never happened. I had literally no ability to concentrate whatsoever and found myself embroiled in the goings on down at ASC Racing instead of nailing the first apex of the kink. Although I did go signifcantly up on my sectors , not being confident through Masta set the tone for my race and I was painfully slow thereafter.

Off the start I got Bo again ( or he let me have it) which put me  up to 5th and then 3rd a lap later when claudio and mick found themselves off the track. At that point I needed figure out what I was going to do; if I was going to stay in front doing a reasonable pace or slow down and let Bo go after John and Bob. Moot point when on the third lap I forgot to check him exiting blanchimont and in the panic braked too early then panicked some more (he's going to run into me!!!) and came out of the brake and up the la source escape road. At that point I thought it was plain sailing to 4th and backed way off , all decisions made for me , waiting to collect my coins for the summer, when Claudio strolls up with Mick in tow. It was a tough couple of laps for me because at that point I had no idea how to go faster, being about 10mph down at  a lot of the apexes. Luckily they gave me room and off they went in search of Bo. I got the positions back when Mick spun and then whatever got Claudio. From there I just nursed it home and swallowed my pride. I was hoping that the coins would make up for it - I'm still not sure - but very happy to happy to get another podium. Hopefully after the break I can set about earning one.

See you in Brno,

PS : in my haste to try out Bridgehampton I forgot to  congratulate the other finishers. Great Job by Bob in particular. As Mick said, it was his to lose and he kept his cool with John right there. Congrats to to the Vultures for best team finish. They were very handy in D1 as well. And congrats to Don as well. Just as in Germany he kept it on the road while everyone else faltered.
Andrew

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 09 June 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#11 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,574 posts

Posted 09 June 2018 - 09:24 PM

I’m more comfortable at fast circuits, so I had a lot of confidence here. Also, I ran a lot of full fuel laps and felt very happy with the handling of the Eagle.

I was very pleased to be on pole and knew that I could keep a fast pace from the start. When a few guys were close behind, I was thinking that they must have been pushing very hard which might make them have some errors. It sounds like my little errors probably gave Hammonds too much incentive to push harder and it’s often that one BIG error here which is fatal.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#12 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 42 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 10 June 2018 - 04:41 AM

After a decent qual, did with nearly no practice, I expected to conduct a conservative race. But I did not foresee an unepected event: just  few miles after the start my son dropped in my  driving room asking something: to be noted the perfect time selecion when I was just at the entrance of Masta, where any uncertainty is allowed!  You can realise yourself: lost concentration, end of the story. Hurts to leave so early

Congratulation to Bob and the podium

to the next
Roberto

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Camera man

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:27 AM

As promised... here's the video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=zX6pg-Id_9Q

Currently trying out Open Shot Video editor to get some editing done... but it's slow..

#14 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 07:18 AM

Congrats Bob, Bruce, and Andrew! Bob is sly. He used John's zeal against him well. :)
Greg Taber

#15 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,558 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 10 June 2018 - 12:09 PM

View PostMK3424, on 10 June 2018 - 05:27 AM, said:

As promised... here's the video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=zX6pg-Id_9Q

Currently trying out Open Shot Video editor to get some editing done... but it's slow..

I got to watch that one live!  :)

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#16 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 01:47 PM

Saw it , liked the video and subscribed. :thumbs:

#17 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 05:45 PM

View PostDDodge, on 10 June 2018 - 12:09 PM, said:

I got to watch that one live!  :)

Don

I saw it also.  If you stop the video just as he comes back on track, you'll see my tail end running away. I saw him go off, then I just saw him in the corner of my eye as he came out. He missed me by that much  [  ].  I was holding my breath.  Unfortunately he clobbered, or got clobbered by the BRM (I think) following me.

Edited by zzbusch1, 11 June 2018 - 01:47 PM.

racecar is racecar spelled backward

#18 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 09:25 AM

thanks for the vid .   That's racing !    :bigglasses:

#19 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:01 PM

Thanks for the video MK, that was me in the Honda in practice :weight_lift2:  it is actually scarier from behind than from inside the car :wiggle:
" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#20 MK3424

MK3424

Camera man

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 01:51 PM

View PostAljones, on 11 June 2018 - 01:01 PM, said:

Thanks for the video MK, that was me in the Honda in practice :weight_lift2:  it is actually scarier from behind than from inside the car :wiggle:

I was ecstatic when i realised i recorded that.... i was doing testrecordings to ensure it was set up right... (watch episode 7... volume was turned down and a mic channel was open... causing hiss on the recording). Nice overtake... and nearly ending up in a wall of that house... balls of steel action.

Sim Racing Links