• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 August 2019 - 05:37 AM

I started with GPL in 2001 (to 2007, but focussed more on newer NASCAR sims).

It's not important how fast a GPLer is. The most important thing is to share our mutual passion for this incredible sim, and our mutual respect. :)

Personally I don't think there are many GPL-ers who have done more mileage or experience, but ofcourse I'm not sure about that. I'm a single man with too much time on my hands :P Experience is everything in GPL, as long you're open to improve and try other things. Nowadays don't practise much anymore. The ceiling is getting in sight, the learning curve has flattened out, even when there's still room to improve most of my PB's.

What helped me the most is to get an understanding for what I like with the setups, to recognize what you do "wrong" driving wise, and what you have to do to improve. It's been a long journey full of sacrifices. To get to a certain level you need to be very driven and motivated. And you need to have a lot of (self)belief.

Practise, perseverance, perfection and patience. Little by little, the bird makes it's nest :)

You have a PM Rudy :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 20 August 2019 - 06:01 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#22 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 20 August 2019 - 06:28 AM

Thank you very much, Robert for your kind and long response! And very well spoken about GPL and respect in general. Also thank you very much for you insights. Well in my case it is a great thing that there is so much to learn and to discover. Although I made my first experiences in GPL around 2004 I had lot going on in my life with children, family and too many interests and hobbies. But I always had GPL in my heart. From time to time I checked out some racing games but they could only tie me up for at least half an hour. And now I am so happy to have find (actually Bo found me... BIG THANK YOU!) this great place with all these gents to race with.
:)

#23 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 08:56 AM

View PostRudolf Goertz, on 20 August 2019 - 03:08 AM, said:

But I would love to check out a setup from you: I could need one for a Ferrari at Glen71 :wiggle:

Good luck with it. The car will have the ramp angle at 15/200, the front brake bias at 12%, and 22 gears. The only people who can handle such a setup either sold their souls to the devil long ago or come from a galaxy far, far away.

#24 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 20 August 2019 - 10:20 AM

Pepe, I love your sense of humour man, :bigsmile:

#25 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 August 2019 - 11:46 AM

Attached File  38gizj.jpg   61.51K   33 downloads
Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#26 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 12:32 PM

hahahahah!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#27 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 20 August 2019 - 02:30 PM

OK, Rob, I know when I'm out of my league . . .   :)

#28 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 22 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

:lol:  
After practicing a couple of hours and after soaking a couple of shirts with sweat Robs setup gave me a lot of fun. It is hairy especially under braking but you can do amazing things with the car as you have a wider margin of control. On the other hand I needed a much wider range as I had a much wider range of getting out of control :Eyecrazy:. The lap times where pretty similar with a stable setup. But it is very rewarding if you manage to drive a full lap with such an aggressive style. Right now and in the near future I don't have the capabitlies to drive a full race in that style. But I will work on that... :wiggle:

Sim Racing Links