Season 18 Tracks

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#41 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 05:26 AM

The mosprain and wmosport circuits have a modified 'mosport.trk' file to achieve the reduced level of adhesion.  In the case of wmosport, the normal surface #1(tarmac)is replaced with surface #???(dirt).  Sure, you get the slippy feel but at the cost of the bumpy ride.  At speed, that isn't so much noticeable but down in the hairpin, it's apparent that the wheels are flopping about.

How does one alter a trk file as achieved in both these wet-weather variants?  Is it by use of the programme, RaceLine?  I dunno.  In my experiments with GPL track building, I came across a surface that might best be described as 'slicks in the rain' and ran smooth as glass.  I'd love to be able to plug it into the Papy Mosport folder.  This would be the ultimate Mosport in the rain.  :)

#42 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 997 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 06:33 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 01 February 2015 - 05:26 AM, said:

The mosprain and wmosport circuits have a modified 'mosport.trk' file to achieve the reduced level of adhesion.  In the case of wmosport, the normal surface #1(tarmac)is replaced with surface #???(dirt).  Sure, you get the slippy feel but at the cost of the bumpy ride.  At speed, that isn't so much noticeable but down in the hairpin, it's apparent that the wheels are flopping about.

How does one alter a trk file as achieved in both these wet-weather variants?  Is it by use of the programme, RaceLine?  I dunno.  In my experiments with GPL track building, I came across a surface that might best be described as 'slicks in the rain' and ran smooth as glass.  I'd love to be able to plug it into the Papy Mosport folder.  This would be the ultimate Mosport in the rain.  :)
I will be alert to your news :Pemail:
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#43 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,328 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 07:13 AM

Did the makers of mosprain re-work the trk file to replace surface #1 (tarmac) with another surface? If so, what? Is concrete a surface option? Curb? Painted tarmac?

Michael

#44 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,976 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 09:24 AM

Yes, I would think that it was done exactly so, Michael.  The mosprain...and wmosport, too...editors were able to substitute an alternate surface from the original dat file and create a standalone trk file.  Concrete(surface #2)is available as a substitute and many tracks feature some curves with this slightly less grippy option in the original build.  Without an obvious texture change from a dedicated mip, it can really catch a user off-guard.  Devils!!!  :)  Wmosport used dirt(surface ???; I don't recall what number it is)to obtain really slippy driving with the bonus of clouds of dust being raised by the tyres.  As noted, though, it does feature the bumpity-bumpity sensation at low speeds.  In the hairpin at wmosport, it's most apparent.  Mosprain?  Not sure what was used there but possibly concrete(surface #2)although I'm thinking that it might be something a little less grippy.  Curb surface(# ???)?  Maybe.  Hard to pin down.

I Bing'd the RaceLine utility earlier this morning and came up empty.  I'll resume that search and try to determine if it's what is required to perform a surface change for a trk file.

#45 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,551 posts

Posted 01 February 2015 - 03:34 PM

so i downloaded/installed Mosrain.. looks like concrete.. raining.. lightening! and CROWD noise....
when i went to look for wmosport.. i find 4 files...
and not sure what i need to do-

the 4 are:
wetmosport.zip
rain-at-wet-mosport.zip
kevin_wetmosport.zip
klas_mosport_11.1.zip

all from the wmosport download site.. surely not ALL 4 files are used and it would seem that 11.1 is a much later version of something. but found no v10.. let alone v1..v2 etc....
so a detailed line of directions would be much appreciated - maybe even have the track we "might" use next season, uploaded ( i can host it on Dropbox if no where else can be found)

my concern however is simple enough.
if Wmosport is much more slippy that mosrain... who's to say i don't join using the as is grip? does the .TRK file keep you out if its different? i think only the track folder is checked in Vroc. so someone could join using the rain only track - right?
and for that reason...... i doubt we'd attempt an official race with it :(
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#46 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 910 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 01 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Well, here's what I did (From Memory so bare with me).

I downloaded "wetmosport.zip" and installed it.

I then used "datman" to extract wmosport.trk from wmosport.dat

I then renamed wmosport.trk to mosprain.trk

Finally I copied my new mosprain.trk to the mosprain directory.

That's it. (I think)....

(Just delete the new mosprain.trk if you don't like it).

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally imbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#47 dalejsmith

dalejsmith

Getting through it one lap at a time!

• Members
  • 1,040 posts
  • Interests:Life, learning, Art (making it) and GPL

Posted 22 February 2015 - 08:20 PM

Corrected S18 track poster, sorry for the long delay. the full size is in the zip file.

Attached Files

Edited by dalejsmith, 22 February 2015 - 08:32 PM.

Be well

Dale

#48 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 23 February 2015 - 09:28 AM

Cheers Dale. Can I suggest having it as each 'quarter'? That's how I tend to think of it, 1st quarter, 2nd quarter etc. I think I might have picked that up from American sports.. but it is also a nice way of describing how each part of the calendar roughly fits the yearly season schedule.

I can also report that I drove Road Atlanta 71 last night with Tris at F1Legends, and v1.1 is great, and very stable (3 full grids) in case anyone hasn't upgraded from unstable v1.0. The next race is at mosprain, so I will be able to report back on my findings there too! Also, a perfect time to test Doni's solutions!

Edited by Iestyn Davies, 23 February 2015 - 09:31 AM.

GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#49 dalejsmith

dalejsmith

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 23 February 2015 - 12:44 PM

I laid it out based on the breaks in the schedule Iestyn.
Be well

Dale

#50 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 23 February 2015 - 01:02 PM

Oh yes, I know that! I just meant the words - Session 1, Session 2.. thinking of it now, it could also be Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter etc. :) Although the seasons don't fit too well here, as I'm sure it's definitely winter in most of North America right now. Doni said it's been snowing all month where he is/hasn't been above freezing.
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#51 dalejsmith

dalejsmith

• Members
  • 1,040 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

ok Iestyn, is thiswhat you were speaking of?

Attached Files

Be well

Dale

Sim Racing Links