What Controller Do You Use?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Wheel,joystick,keyboard?  which shift input?  (sequential - H - paddle, or auto assist)
do you left or right foot brake ?

If you use any auto assist, or are a KB user, do you have tips to share?
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 729 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:42 PM

G27 Wheel, H Shift, Manual Clutch, Right Foot brake. Sometimes use Steering Hack for Monaco and a few others.

Still not as comfortable as it used to be with my old Momo (Paddles, Left Foot brake, Auto Clutch). But the ability to miss gears out on the down shift is sometimes a real bonus.

Couldn't go back to paddles now. (I don't drive modern sims where paddles would be authentic).

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#3 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 07 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Logitech MOMO Steering Wheel
(By no means the most fancy wheel. I think my set is one of the cheapest here actually :lol: )

Posted Image

I use the stick for GPL (no GPLShift necessary), left foot brake, no vibrations.
Sitting from a chair.

Would personally love to have a Playseat or so, but I do not have the space in my room I'm afraid.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#4 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,361 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 07 August 2017 - 07:44 PM

G27, Paddles, LF brake, Buttkicker.

I have this seat, made into a chair:

Posted Image

Edited by DDodge, 11 August 2017 - 01:30 PM.

Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#5 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:34 PM

Fanatec Club Sport wheel and pedals
Paddle shifters
Left foot brake
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#6 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 01:22 AM

\When the game first came out I had already had a Microsoft wheel for a time. When I started up again this summer I found my brother had no use for his Logitech DFGT so I'm using that until something else happens or my brother wants his wheel back. I like the sequential over the paddle shifters since my fingers aren't so good. I've had fewer shifting mistakes since using it..I've used both feet to drive with since I started but only ever  LFB in sims. I'm trying to figure out how to RFB with the Logitech pot pedals before deciding on whether or not to buy a set of Thrustmaster metal pedals or make my own or keep going with the existing set up.  Up until Saturday I used a cheap office chair. Just before the start  I found a folding chair that doesn't move around so much and it worked quite well during the race.I think I will keep it for the next little while.

I have a little plywood tub with a fiberglass kart seat 2 sizes to large that  I'm working on but I'm not sure how it is going to play out. Kart seats have a  pretty steep lower portion to them and it may prov.e difficult to de-clutch with under a normal three pedal set-up.The bulkhead that the wheel attaches to is horizontal (wheel mostly vertical) whereas   on a kart wheel is is leaned forward a fair bit and as a result the whole thing is fairly awkward to get into. Being fiberglass it should at least be easy to keep clean. If it does work, I picked up a handful of optical switches to have a go at an H-shifter.. I think I could do the physical side but I'm not sure how well I'd manage with the electronic integration - I struggle massively just to keep GPL in a working state - so who knows.

Very interesting to hear what people have and how they use them.

Andrew Hutchinson

Edited by Andrew Hutchinson, 08 August 2017 - 01:24 AM.

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,396 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 08 August 2017 - 06:23 AM

LFB with MSFF wheel and pedals, 100% linearity, sequential shifting. I've got a few spare MSFF's to be able to repair my main which I have done a few times. For example changing a broken spring in my best (least worn out) pedal set. Now I'm trying to repair the best wheel (least play). It has a defect power plug-in. Current wheel has a lot of play that bothers me having a loose wheel in the hands...

BTW run GPL under W7 64bit, and have no wheel software installed.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 10 August 2017 - 12:56 PM.

#8 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

Thurstmaster T500 RS (450deg & 8deg lock in game) Left foot braking, Paddles for shifting, love using the H Patten but 1 second slower a lap :(
Home made Timber rig.

Posted Image

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:03 PM

Nice setup Ed! Have you tried no letterbox patch to get rid of the black bars, gives you more range to play with as well for driver view!? ;)

#10 mellilore

mellilore

• Members
  • 981 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 03:43 PM

Logitech G25, Right Foot Brake, H shifter + clutch, 100% linear (I also move the shifter tho the left of the steering wheel when driving the BRM...).
IMHO GPL is just too great to settle for anything less.

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#11 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

Thanks Rob will give no letterbox a go.

Edited by Ed_Cullen, 09 August 2017 - 10:24 AM.

#12 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 334 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 08:38 AM

Almost from the time GPL first appeared, I've used MSFF with LFB and shifting with paddles on the wheel (also there are buttons pre-set for the clutch, looking left/right, F10/cockpit view, refuel patch, and raised hand). Like Robert, I have a couple of these old things sitting in the basement to be used as spares. I tried a G27 but kept stabbing the clutch instead of the brake, so instead of simply taking a hacksaw to the brake pedal and remapping the clutch, I sold that unit online a few years ago. I sometimes travel by motorcycle around the country, so I have also used a worthless Sim Raceway "wheel" (SRW-1) in emergencies, but I often think that I might be better off in such cases with a 1992 Unix keyboard, oven mittens, and a pillow case over my head.

#13 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

GTL Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:03 AM

I use a Logitech G25 and have for quite some years.  It's standard with no enhancements.  Assorted W10 updates over time have dicked it around re configurations but lately, it's been consistent.  I hit hard steering looks with all of about 220° overall rotation.  The pedals are not properly aligned to allow heel-n-toe so I use LFB.  The H-shifter failed rather early on so it's been paddles since.

#14 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,263 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

g25... sequential shifter.. RFB (used to be LF, but found i wasn't lifting as i was braking... horrible results)
i like the 25 so much i bought a new one, still in the box, just in case this one (now how old? bought it when it came out new)

buttons on wheel for left/right glance, and 2 buttons on shifter for Sh-R and raise arm (pit stop patch)

the only weird thing i encounter, is if when i load GPL and i press the mouse button for any reason (close email window for example) while GPL is loading then GPL loses contact with the G25.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,396 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

View PostBo Bruce, on 10 August 2017 - 11:41 AM, said:

the only weird thing i encounter, is if when i load GPL and I press the mouse button for any reason (close email window for example) while GPL is loading then GPL loses contact with the G25.

Same here (and everyone I think), I guess the game tries to detect the controller and when you push the mouse button things get messed up.

#16 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 100 posts

Posted 10 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

G25, although my times do not reflect it :wounded1:

I play on a Imac 24" with windows7, that I illegally downloaded when the microsoft helpdesk man told me he couldn't help me and I should do it this way (true story). I bought a key later, because I had to keep clicking the mouse to get rid of the activate message.

Edited by Tames, 10 August 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#17 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

GTL Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:49 AM

I received a W10 update just yesterday and installed.  No changes to my G25.  PHEW!

I neglected to mention in my initial report that the clutch pedal has not been recognized for a long, long time.  I use a button on the shift console for this function.  Seems OK.

#18 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:10 AM

I am amazed how you guys managed to keep your wheels so long. Me and GPL killed wheels in the early days of plastic pedals, I had 2 races were I broke off the wheel from the base in a race!
Not until the G25 and G27 I stop breaking them. Still own the last 3 wheels.
Posted Image

#19 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 12:10 PM

I really started with a Thomas Steering wheel. http://www.thomas-su...complete-system. I forget what  I started with. I used it for many years in the early years of GPL.  I moved to a Logitech FF wheel, ( I forget which one ), didn't like it. The FF wasn't tuned right and it felt bad in GPL. I finally landed  a good Logitech G25, got it setup to my liking. I'm still slow, but it works in GPL nicely and rFactor2, which I still fire up once in a while.

Something about moving to FF in GPL made me not as fast as the Thomas wheel. I don't know what it is, but I can't go back to an analog, non FF wheel. Something about he Thomas wheels with good potentiometers made it very accurate for me. I really liked that wheel.

I was in Daytona one day and took a drive up to Ormond Beach one day to where NASCAR started and found Smokey Yunicks old shop and parts store. I bought a real racing wheel there for my old Thomas wheel. I still have it.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#20 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:33 PM

I had a Thomas Superwheel TSW mod2. Actually I still have the wheel :)

I hear you on the FF messing up lap times. The reason it does is because you cannot get ahead of the slide fast enough.
My wheel still has it's original high-grade potentiometers. I bought a set of replacements, but I never used them. Amazing quality!
I had skateboard wheels on mine so they worked like an old VW bus with reoller pedals :P

Eric

Edited by EFulghum, 11 August 2017 - 09:36 PM.

oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

Sim Racing Links