7 replies to this topic

#1 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 868 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

My wife and I figured we had the time and money to take a short vacation. Not sure how we ended up selecting Montreal for a three day holiday. Drove up to Windsor, Ontario and then took a train to Montreal, Quebec. Our Hotel was only a 15 minute walk from the train station in downtown Montreal and a couple of blocks from Old Montreal.  Our hotel was on a busy boulevard (Boul-René Lévesque) and I noticed that some lanes were closed off for an event. At the hotel the clerk said that there was going to be an electric car race this weekend.  I had no clue as to what she was talking about. The blocked off street wasn’t near safe enough for full size cars so I figured maybe it was for radio-controlled cars. But then I overheard someone else talking about Formula E. Finally we determined that the actual race course was about 4 to 5 blocks east of our Hotel. My wife is not a car race fan and we had plenty of sightseeing to do so it seemed very unlikely that we’d attend the race. We did have time early Saturday evening to wander on down to the track and see if we could see anything. The circuit was a rectangle with a chicane added in. (2.4 KM) It was blocked off pretty good. But what little we saw gave the impression of a fairly wide track. I saw some news reports that the drivers liked it. There were 20 cars entered with only two having any chance of winning it seemed. It seemed that the whole event was a publicity stunt thought up by the Mayor. Some uproar about the location of the circuit. The mayor said it would be to expensive to have it at the Formula 1 track (Circuit Gilles Villeneuve).  Sunday morning we could hear some electric motor whine if we opened a window. Ended up being a great vacation with very nice weather.
It Doesn’t Matter How Slow You Go, As Long As You Don’t Stop - Confucius

#2 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 244 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

It's not too expensive to run it at the F1 track obviously, but the car's don't last long enough nor go fast enough to have good racing on a long circuit. They always run in downtown in big cities across the world at the moment, mainly because of this and the not too big noise impact they have. Give it a few years and they will be able to run on the proper circuits, from next year manufacturers can make their own cars too and the tech will go ahead very fast. Now they have to run two whole cars per driver and they swap mid race for a full battery pack!

Glad you enjoyed your trip, I imagine the city to be a lot of fun :)
Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 03:38 PM

visited Montreal for the F1 race in... '05 (i think) loved every minute of the 3 days at the track, and would return to visit 'old Montreal' in a heartbeat.. if $$ and how to get there were less an issue. still, i have nothing but fond memories of the trip.

Fe?  reminds me of my dentist drill... no thanks ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,530 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 03 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

Thanks for sharing Bob...I have been following Formula E a bit, but it doesn't appeal to me as much as other auto/motorsports classes, yet. As Michiel says, there wil be major developments also since many big manufacturer have stepped in or will step in...

As for the sound of Formual E, maybe they should run spoke wheels and put a cardboard in the wheel, like I used to do on my bike when I was very young :)

I'd love to visit the US and/or Canada once, or twice.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 03 August 2017 - 05:26 PM.

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 03:19 PM

The series is perfect badge engineering and marketed at people who dont already watch motoracing. Given that you buy a franchised team, get a spec chassis (derived from the current Indycar),batteries are spec as well. The only dev costs are drivetrain, even that can be bougth of the shelf relatively cheap compared to F1 or LMP1H.

Right now the whole thing is a marketing exercise, with little actual development going on. Despite the series what the series claims. The plan is to open up the batteries and chassis development gradually over the next few seasons, which for a startup series isn't that bad an idea. If they'd just stopped claiming they are the best thing since slice bread, I'd be much more interested in it.

PS: Obligatory grumpy old man comment about the car noise :D
I just wanna race

#6 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,009 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 05:26 AM

I have no problem at all with car/engine sound, all is good to me as long as the car gets actually driven by the man.
Give me an RWD with manual gearchange (preferably with very poor/no aereodynamics and tire grip) and I'll be ok with it (both driving and watching it be actually driven), no matter the noise or if the thing even has an exhaust.

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#7 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 499 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

That sounds nice Bob. I've thought about moving near Montreal. Lately I've been wondering if I could actually move to Canada instead of northern New York or Vermont. One day I hope to live where the summers are cooler.

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 03 August 2017 - 05:26 PM, said:

As for the sound of Formual E, maybe they should run spoke wheels and put a cardboard in the wheel, like I used to do on my bike when I was very young :)

:lol: That was fun. Bicycles, balls, and Hot Wheels were my favorite toys.

I feel like Lorenzo. I like the idea of electric cars. I'd like to have one if they had at least a 200 mile/320 kilometer range. They're also too expensive for me at the moment. Over the years I've grown to be somewhat of a Nissan fan. I find it amusing now that the car they make that interests me most is the Leaf.

As for switching race cars, I don't understand why they don't make a battery pack that can quickly be changed, like a cordless drill.
Greg Taber

#8 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 22 November 2017 - 09:57 AM

View PostJMF, on 05 August 2017 - 09:31 AM, said:

I've thought about moving near Montreal. Lately I've been wondering if I could actually move to Canada instead of northern New York or Vermont.

I feel like Lorenzo. I like the idea of electric cars. I'd like to have one if they had at least a 200 mile/320 kilometer range. They're also too expensive for me at the moment. Over the years I've grown to be somewhat of a Nissan fan. I find it amusing now that the car they make that interests me most is the Leaf.

So Funny Greg as I live south shore of Montreal, 15 min drive from downtown and my daily driver is a 2016 Leaf sv !   Glad you liked Montreal, Bob & Bruce, it is a very nice city. Quebec city has even more charm, altough less cosmopolitan that Montreal.

Back to the Leaf, after 18 months and 14000 miles I can tell you that it is a very well built car, solid and no issues so far, I do a little less than 60 miles per day round trip to work, 60 % highway at 65 mph and  autonomy is about 100 miles with a 30kw battery pack.

The only drawback is in the winter, from 30 to 50 % LESS autonomy....  Spoke to other electric car owners (Tesla, BMW) and they are in the same boat, not sure I would buy another e-car because of that... Good points is the silence and absolutely no vibrations when sitting in traffic :winkiss:

My toy is a 2017 Corvette Grand Sport that will see a lot of track days next summer ....

Edited by Aljones, 22 November 2017 - 09:58 AM.

Sim Racing Links