8 replies to this topic

#1 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,210 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:48 AM

Let me start by apologizing for the suddenness of my departure, and for the lack of communication regarding it. I had thought that I had emailed Tom Johnson and Greg Cooper, but when I talked with Tom a couple of months ago by phone, I learned that he had not received anything, so had no idea where I was or what had happened to me. I must however thank and praise Tom for how he grasped the reins upon my departure, and has kept the ADC a viable part of the GPL community. Thanks Tom!

I am all about transparency now, so the long and the short of it is that I got involved with something I shouldn't have, I was arrested May 29th 2013, and subsequently spent 2 years in prison and another 5 months in a re-entry facility. I am legally separated from my Wife, and although we text or talk every day, I think it's unlikely that we'll get back together, but that's in God's hands. Our relationship is at least amicable. I was fortunate that a month after my arrest I reached my initial retirement date, so I was able to retire.

I returned to Akron near the end of October 2015, and lived for a month in a re-entry halfway house, then moved out to a boarding house. I lived there for 5 months, and I've now moved to a men's house associated with my church's ministry (more on that in a moment). I work part-time at a restaurant named The Front Porch Cafe (http://southstreetmi...rg/?page_id=334), and with the hours there plus my portion of my retirement, I'm getting by okay.

Now back to the ministry discussion. I know that prior to going to prison, I would scoff (as many of you may have done or are now) when I would hear about an inmate 'finding God' when they were in prison. But in my case, that is exactly what happened. I received a 'calling' to ministry from the Lord on June 9th of 2013, and turned my life over to Him on June 17th of 2013. Since that time, I have dedicated my life to His service. While in prison, I went back to college, and earned a 4-year Bachelors Degree in Ministry, and am nearing the end of the Masters Degree program. I am an ordained minister. I am an Associate Pastor with South Street Ministries, and am one of the leaders of their inmate outreach ministry. I am awaiting approval to be able to go into the local jails with my Pastor Duane Crabbs and assist with his weekly Bible studies. I also work with the Summit County Re-entry Network, aiding men and women attempting to once again become productive members of society.

I had many friends here at the ABC who I feel a need to apologize to for my actions. People such as Tom, Donny Yourth, Jim Carvalho, Malcolm Thomson; the Yeiser's, Burt August, and Robert John. Ford Transit (wish I could remember your real name; you and I were closely matched, and had some good battles). Guys who probably aren't around  much anymore, such as Mark Uribe, and my good friends Bernd Nowak and Arturo Pereira. I've probably forgotten a few or several, so don't feel slighted if I didn't name you; it's been a very long time away. I want to apologize to everyone here for my actions, and my departure. I pray that you will all forgive me and allow me to be part of the ADC community again. I wish to stress to anyone who may be wondering, that it is not my intent to regain control of the ADC; it is in Tom's very capable hands and I see no need to change that. Plus I'm very busy with ministry projects. I would like to just be able to join in some of the Friday events at some point, if I'd be welcome.

All of this is at some point in the future, however. I hope to have a gaming-capable pc by the end of this month, but I still won't have a wheel. I think I'm going to put some money aside so I can get a Logitech G27, so it will probably be late June/early July before I can be ready. Plus of course, I need to find a copy of GPL; any suggestions?

Sorry for the length of this post; I didn't intend for it to be this long, but it just kept growing. If anyone has a desire to contact me, my personal email is revdlfletch@gmail.com, and my work email is david.fletcher@southstreetministries.org.

God bless you all,

Dave
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#2 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

GTL Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 4,841 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

Welcome back, Dave.  You've been missed.  The link below will bring you up to speed on GPL but you will need the disk to have it work.

https://gplps.wordpr...-gpl-installer/

Doni

#3 Jim Carvalho

Jim Carvalho

• ADC
  • 4,068 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:16 PM

Glad to hear from you, Dave. You and your wife and family have been through plenty, it sounds like. It also sounds like you've turned your life over to a higher power and accepted that will. You are very brave and courageous, and I have only the utmost respect and support for you. I can't wait to share some virtual tarmac with you yet again. Tom Johnson has indeed done a fantastic job keeping the ADC going. You left it in very capable hands. I hope I'm embarrassing him because he deserves it. ;) Let's hear it for transparency!
"The best dividends on the labor invested have invariably come from seeking more knowledge rather than more power." Wilbur and Orville Wright.

#4 Robert John

Robert John

• ADC
  • 739 posts
  • Interests:Sim-Racing..GPL, Firearms, Reloading, Military History, My Wiener Dog

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:23 PM

Great to hear from you Dave!  Thanks for sharing your story. It will be a pleasure to race with you once again. I'll be looking for you soon.

Peace
RJ

Edit: I saw a copy of GPL on Ebay for less than 10 bucks including shipping

Edited by Robert John, 20 May 2016 - 06:22 AM.

#5 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:57 AM

Hi Dave :)

Glad to know you are back! I wondered many times what happened to you and was really worried about this, but I am happy to know that, in spite of everything, you are up and running again. As you can see, GPL is well and alive and some of us are working hard with the GPL mods. There are huge chances we will have a brand new one released before the end of this year: the 1955 F1 mod.
About the GPL CD, not sure where to get a new one, but send me a PM or an email to: 250f@fibertel.com.ar and I will see what I can do to help!

All the best to you!
AP

#6 David Fletcher

David Fletcher

ADC Founder

• ADC Admins
  • 6,210 posts
  • Interests:SimRacing

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

Hello again Donnie, Jim, Robert, and Arturo. Very glad to hear from all of you again, and thanks for the kind words and the welcome. Really means a lot to me to be understood and forgiven, and to know there is still a place for me here.

I got an email a couple of weekends ago from an old ADC member, John Ollis from the UK. John had a spare copy of GPL, and it's on it's way across the pond as we speak. So that hurdle is crossed.

And just this evening I won an eBay auction for a factory-refurbished Dell XPS 8700. It's running an Intel i7 processor, 16gb Ram, a 2TB hard drive, 32GB SSD, and an nVidia GTX 750Ti 2TB video card. It should be enough to run GPL, even that beast Spa '67.

Now it's just a matter of saving some money back so I can get a Logitech G27. I had a DFGT before, but since I'm starting back at square one again, I want to do it right and have the shifter and clutch. But they're currently selling in the $250 - $300 range, so it will take me a little while on my limited income. But with any luck, by the end of June or perhaps mid-July, I should be back up and running. Can't wait to see you all on-track once again.

Arturo, I am elated to see how this ancient old community (or is it us that's ancient? :-)) is still going strong for a sim that is now 16 years old! And to hear the 55's are still being produced is very exciting. That will be glorious! You'll finally be able to race as JMF :-)

Again, so good to hear from you all. Hope to see you very soon!

Dave
"In racing as in life, you're either in someone's way, or they're in yours..."

#7 Tom Johnson

Tom Johnson

ADC GPL Director

• ADC Admins
  • 5,392 posts

Posted 23 May 2016 - 07:14 PM

Dave, glad to hear things are starting to come together, looking forward to sharing the track with you again.

#8 Pete Gaimari

Pete Gaimari

• ADC
  • 1,235 posts
  • Interests:Racing

Posted 10 June 2016 - 04:13 PM

Edited by Pete Gaimari, 12 June 2016 - 08:20 AM.

Pete

President of the 0ld Farts Club.

#9 Maarten

Maarten

• ADC
  • 798 posts
  • Interests:Karting, Music and everything with cars and racing.

Posted 16 March 2017 - 06:46 AM

Well, i know this is a year old post, but it's news to me :) Good to hear from you David, long time since we raced together!

Hope you are still doing well a year on!

Maarten
---Oversteer scares passengers; understeer scares drivers---

Sim Racing Links