• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,864 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:11 AM

well that didn't go well ...

first in qual i (and 2 others at least) simultaneous screen freeze and a forced reboot of sys. :P
got back in with plenty of time and was able to do a PB! starting p4 on grid.

at the green, things looked good and well ordered thru T1
then into T2 i thought i stayed enough left, but at the last moment saw someone's LF wheel and before i could react, either we touched,or someone behind me made contact and i rolled on my lid, race over  ~  sigh

well it sure makes for a short post race report :(
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 10:48 AM

Well, after the PC freeze Bo suffered, there was still some time to try the only flying lap I had, a 1:32.2, not bad, considering I couldn't practice all the time leading to the race.
At the start, burned Hollada like a crisp and then T1 happened, looked like everyone hit a mine on the track or something, same hell in T2, where I managed to escape relatively safe.
I was hellbent to take it home this time: didn't matter the place, as long as it wasn't dead last (come on, a little bit of pride! :D ).
Clocked lap after lap after lap, but at lap 20 Hollada appeared in my mirrors, he and his wicked Honda: knowing he couldn't pass me because I was always closing him fopr about 7 or 8 laps, he decided to patiently wait and pressure me to make a fuckup.
Lap 28 and the fuckup I did, brake too late in T5 to avast him, locked up, the Cooper spun and went ass-first into the bridge, then ricocheted and slammed into the barriers nose first, losing the front right wheel.

Ah well. Congrats, Bob: you played me and I'm not even mad. You deserved that place :)
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#3 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 174 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:01 AM

Ah ! I tought I was the one who froze !  Still had enough time to qualify 5th with my personal best 1:25:93

Then the start, had a good one, followed Bo entering turn 1 then it seems that he slowed down or that I had a a better exit so I took the inside,
being carefull not to carry too much speed to assured we both could negotiate the corner side by side if need be...

Looking at the replay, I was hit from behind ?? then I was standing on the side, less a front wheel, with Bo's Ferrari upside down beside me...
Did not want to be a hazard by going around the whole track on 3 wheels so...

Alain

PS Congrats to E.Cullen for the pole and first place finish, the first four where evenly matched, nice race !

Edited by Aljones, 11 November 2017 - 04:51 PM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#4 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 11:21 AM

Screen freeze for me also. I Q'd as usual, full tanks. Made it through T1, saw cars fly in T2, slipped by and headed for the T3 bend, Saw cars sliding, picked an opening, made it through, almost, got clipped by a Honda and lost rear wheel.  Who ever it was, no worries, it happens.

Snett is a fun track, if you can get the turns correct. Each one is different. The bend always gives me trouble.

BTW, 30 minutes before race time, I discover my CPU fan is not working. I'm over heating and FR is low, plus a spontaneous reboot/shut down. I spun the fan up manually, then found an old fan in my parts bin and rigged it up to blow on the CPU. Worked fine, although I was worried about a shut down/ reboot, but didn't have to worry in the end.  lol
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#5 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:36 PM

I was ready for a exiting race after qualifying.  I saw Alex en Ed charging away and decided early on to settle for third in order to make the finish line in one piece. After Bo's crash in turn two I ended up in 3rd being chased by Bob S and John H. I saw them trade places after about 10 laps I think it was, then my only worry was to keep John far enough behind me. I had some laps were I was a bit too relaxed and had to pick up the pace now and then to make this happen, but other than that it was an uneventful race for me. Very glad with the podium spot.

#6 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:50 PM

I used the extra week of practice to my advantage and put in a good number of laps.  But I wasn't 100% sure if I had the Honda dialed in to go 40 laps.  Qualified well but I knew I'd get passed at the start unless I really hammered the car at the start.  Survived the initial mayhem well enough but lost time after getting hit.  Got up to speed and found Don and Niky going at it in front of me. With my better Qually time I guessed that I was faster than Don and he was keeping with Niky.  But I could see that getting by them with them so close to each other would be very difficult.   I did finally get by Don under braking . Not to long after that Don did the same thing to me. I was willing to let him go and backed off (I think). He continued by me but couldn't hold it in the turn and plowed into Niky. I motored by never to see either again.  My goal was to finish above all the other G1 drivers but I knew Pepe in the Lotus would be impossible to catch unless he had trouble.  Saw that Ronnie was next up and saw that I was slowly gaining on him. But not sure if there were enough laps.  That plan went out the window when I had a Ferrari spin in front of me. I couldn't miss him and I ended up with some minor damage to the front which affected my car at the slowest parts of the track.  I learned to deal with it. I saw Pepe a long ways back and wondered if I could keep that gap. I was about ready to give up on that when I spun in the esses and gave us both a scare. I owe you an apology for that Pepe. I am sorry. Glad you could continue.  Finished 9th
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#7 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 12:56 PM

I practiced like hell for this race because our team leader, Fleurke the Merciless, threatened Niky and me with a visit from Zwarte Piet if we didn't do well. Every culture has ways to control children who misbehave. Two hundred years ago the English threatened their kids with Napoleon Bonaparte (or Boney, which over time became Boneyman, then Bogeyman, and now the boogieman). In Italy children are terrified of L'Uomo Nero and in Spain they have nightmares about El Loco. You don't dare to swim alone in Norway because Nøkken, a troll who lives at the bottom of the lake, will grab your feet, drown you, and eat you. Zwarte Piet works with St. Nicholas in the Netherlands, but instead of giving presents to good children, he whips the disobedient ones. That's why I worked so hard. Who wants a visit from Black Pete? Not me.

In qualifying I set a PB by more than 0.3 seconds, thus putting me 6th on the grid in front of Cheeseman, Hammonds, Simpson, and Folkard, each of whom in the past has repeatedly beaten me like a rented mule. Situations like this only end well is Walt Disney movies. My start was horrible, with Cheeseman coming past me as if he'd been shot from a cannon. Before even reaching T2, however, George wound up sideways on the track, so I popped him before Zwarte Piet could. Recovering from that I had a clear track ahead to T3, so I stomped the Lotus' pedal and very quickly managed to contact Tim who was coming up from the inside on my left. He slid past, almost untouched, but as I was completing an almost perfect, on-track, 360-degree spin, I was nailed in the rear by my teammate, who in turn was rear-ended by Ronnie Nilsson. That wreck also collected Richard Busch and Bob Holada, and as if that weren't enough, behind that carnage Cheeseman and Don Dodge were simultaneously colliding at the entrance to T3. I believe that at the end of that first lap I was the last car still running. Been there, done that.

I've looked at the replay and I can see that a case can be made that I and Don can be held responsible for these last two of these three killing fields. But I'm going to say this again: when there are cars exploding all over the track before the leaders have barely crawled through the third turn, if you expect me to know that you are breathing down my neck and that you fully intend to take me on the inside of T3 when there is but one and only one way to get through that corner, then your expectations are going to be ruined each and every time you try it. I will always know that you're ready to jump me if we're the only two cars within a mile of each other in the middle of the race. But I simply cannot handle the kind of information overload that builds up like the invasion of Normandy during the first 30 seconds of  this race. Although I remain weary of these utterly unnecessary first-lap dramas, I'll issue my routine post-race apologies at this point and once again hope that we can all get through the first two turns in Mexico without causing the outbreak of World War III. It also does not escape my attention that this is the anniversary of the end of the first Great War, although you might not realize that by looking at today's damage reports.

Anyway, once the field had strung out I was in the usual position of trying to catch Tim and trying to stay ahead of Ronnie. Attrition finally got me past Tim with a couple of laps to go. He was clearly having some sort of car trouble. But none of it mattered. Our team needed for Alex and Tames not to show up today, but they ignored us and in true high-pressure style rode to superb podium positions. Great rides, you guys. Now what can I offer you two if you'll stay away from Mexico? A visit from Zwarte Piet, perhaps?

#8 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 01:25 PM

Hi all, my very deep apologies to Pepe, and all of the others involved in the lap one turn 3 carnage, canít help but blame my self for that, it was a rash move, but I honestly thought there was enough room, obviously not, sincerely sorry to all involved.

As is my usual habit I started from the back, which I really enjoy, most times that avoids the mistakes on the first lap, then itís just a case of keeping up a good pace to the end, but that didnít work this time.

I was very aware of Pepe behind me in 7th with one lap to go l thought it only right to give him back the place I took on lap one, so thatís what I did, I couldnít have done that if he werenít there,  but there he was.

Dissapointed with myself, with this race, but there it is.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 11 November 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#9 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 760 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:32 PM

I wasn't trying to single you out, Tim. The same scenario happened to me in another league at Silverstone last spring. There's a wild-assed guy who shouldn't be permitted to enter a tricycle in those races and he ran me down on the inside on the first lap between T1 and T2, tossing me into the next county. The track was already covered with ambulances from prior wrecks. None of it mattered. The psychopath filed a complaint and I had to put a sign on my back bumper for the next six months that said: "CAUTION: WATCH OUT FOR THIS ASSHOLE!" I still can't get over that.

My point is that I'm a G1 driver, which means that I am aware of one-half of what you can appreciate and one-seventh of what Fleurke, Guerout, and van Drunen comprehend. I need all the room I can get, and then some. I cannot be trusted to do anything right, even if I'm sitting still. I'm working on a formula that should solve a lot of these problems, basically one that relates current speed, prior car damage, and G-rating with a warning radius. So, for example, if I'm a G1 driver doing 182 mph approaching the Snetterton hairpin in a Lotus that has already been hit six times and run off the track into a water tower twice, you don't want to be any closer to me than 6.21 miles. It needs some refinement, I know, but I'm hoping to have it ready for next season.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 11 November 2017 - 05:08 PM.

#10 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,693 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 11 November 2017 - 02:56 PM

Great report, Pepe!  I also had a freeze in qualifying, but rebooted and got back in time.  I went off with George in turn 4.  If it was my fault, I apologize.  Later when chasing Bob and Niky, I lost concentration going into T3 and missed my braking point.  I am only glad that I didn't put you two out as well.  Mexico has got to be better!

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#11 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Jeeeesus, this report's gonna look like Spa '98!
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#12 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 03:30 PM

Pepe, itís just great reading your reports, they are so funny, you have to get on here, if for no other reason But to see yours.

Very entertaining,  Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 11 November 2017 - 03:31 PM.

#13 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

I had low expectations for this race.  I just wasn't in the mood.  So I didn't push in qualifying and in fact drove all Q laps with race fuel.  Then at the start, I jumped 2 places ahead.  At Turn 2, I was very lucky and got through the pile up to gain a further 3 places.  I was then in chasing Oud and with Hammonds chasing me.  Inevitably, Hammonds got past and I managed to hold on to a very satisfying 5th place to the end.

My sympathies to those who got tangled up and gave me bonus places.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#14 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,169 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 11 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

Well, I was more than a little surprised to find myself lining up on the grid for this one. I've been away for the week up in Scotland in a small fishing village and had not expected to be home in time so had agreed with Tim that Briley would take my place. Unfortunately he was taken ill  so had to withdraw. Get well soon Brliey.

I found out about this while still 250 miles from home when sneaking a quick look at the team forum during a breakfast stop. Still didn't expect to make it back in time but arrived home 10 mins after Q had started so threw everything out of the car, kissed the wife and jumped into the Eagle. No proven set up or any real practise other than a couple of laps a few weeks earlier. Qualifying didn't go well, Had a Honda spin in front of me on my out lap and ended up beached on the embankment so had to wait for the last 5 minutes. Put in 4 laps getting a little quicker each lap but still down in 8th at qualifying end made a few small adjustments between Q and the race and took my position.

Pepe was a bit slow off the line and Bob S was off like a rat up a drainpipe and past me by T1 so down to 9th. It did though have the advantage that I saw the T2 disaster unfold in front of me and I was able to thread through the carnage and set about trying to catch Bob S. I could see I was faster in some parts of the track but not in the areas where I could make a pass so settled in  behind him waiting for any mistake which might put me in a position to capitalise. Then on Lap 9 (I think) we were approaching Niky to lap him and he spun going through the Esses. Bob took to the grass and I managed to keep on the tarmac and had the traction to pass him while he re joined before the final combination onto the SF straight. For the next few laps he was always in my mirrors until he spun at the hairpin leaving me well ahead but about 700yds behind Tames so shaping up to be a lonely race. The gap to Tames reduced then extended again as we lapped drivers and the only time I felt momentum was on my side I made a few stupid mistakes running wide and losing all the ground again. Lack of practice and a less than ideal set up began to show near the end as I began to learn the track and realise my gearing was less than ideal frequently wishing 2nd, 3rd & 4th were spaced a bit differently.

Thanks to al who were lapped, everyone made it very easy. (Although you might have held Tames up a bit). ;) Commiserations to those involved in the lap 1 mess I couldn't see me making up any places on those in front of me considering I qualified nearly a second slower than George who was one place higher up the grid.

See you all in Mexico.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#15 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:35 PM

Due to a bad back, I didn't get the chance to practice much, on an unfamiliar track.  I qualified 11th, but gained a place at the start.  Somehow I avoided the T1 carnage, but came on to the main straight to find a Ferrari at 90 degrees in front of me, which I couldn't avoid. I actually can't remember much of the race - not a lot happened, and I finished 8th.

#16 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 12:39 AM

Sir Higdon, what a delight to read through your post on this race. May I also compliment you on your qualifying time. Mexico's turnout might delight you.
Safer option these days is to call black Pete help-Pete or simply Pete. The UN has put us on a watchlist because of it. Never really understood why. As long as I can remember all races, colors and genders have always enjoyed the St. Nicholas festivities together in the Netherlands.

#17 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 229 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

Pepe you are a living Legend ! My ribs are always sore after ready your post.Thank You

Noticed John and Roberto missing early on.

Qualy went to plan 1st was hoping for a high 23 but thing got busy out there,
needed to show a lot of patience.

Race I was always feeling the pressure from Alex he was always there around 5sec
Once again I had to be patience found a Honda in the middle of turn 3 had a Brabham spin
in front of me after the hairpin some Ferrari go bush on me the last lot of S's so plenty going on
Happy with the Win

Lots to race for in the Last race, Only 8 points between me & Alex and the first 2 Teams fighting it out
for top stop.

Special Shout out

Alan: Welcome unlucky mate well done in Qualy
John: To even make the race awesome effort Mate.
Claudio: Our thoughts are with you, he couldn't make the race is mum
was rushed to hospital.

#18 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,316 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 12 November 2017 - 10:01 AM

Pepe, depending on your performance at Mexico you will get the rod (no pun intended) or candy. ;)

Thanks for the laughs, that racepost cracked me up :lol: :lol: :lol: P6 not too shabby either despite all adversity. Great determination, and thanks to Tim being very fair. To me it was a racing incident with both having some responsibility; also with lag coming into play.

Great job Pepe keeping the c'ship hopes alive! Niky was unlucky. Grats to Ed, Alex and Tames :)

Sim Racing Links