S20 Nurburgring

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 356 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

What can I say...a lot of family time sacrificed in order to be caught in a T1 crash with no way to escape it :(

Glad I managed my goal of going sub 8 also in Qualifying, in what is probably my last chance and only chance this year to really prepare for a race, but now it's pretty much empty feeling when none of the sub 8 qualifiers manage to get past the first turn...no words...Good luck to those still running!

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 26 August 2017 - 09:15 AM.

Graham Hill: "I'm an artist, the track is my canvas, the car is my brush."

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:16 AM

No worries Greg, been there done that. Had a good quali with a BT24 PB, start was OK, braked at my normal point after start but I think Greg lost his reference with cars closeby around...don't be too hard on yourself bud!

Commiserations to all that got caught up in this crash... :(

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 26 August 2017 - 09:16 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#3 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 628 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

I apologize Rob. It's hard to do much worse than that. I'm pathetic and embarrassing.

I obviously can't handle the pressure. I've never been good in S1 and I'm worse on the starts. I've also been in a bad mood all morning. I wondered if I should have started at the back. I now know I shouldn't race in such a mood.

I'd like to retire. I haven't enjoyed racing on Saturday in a long time. I've always had misgivings about racing Saturday morning. I've almost quit racing on Sundays too.

I won't be around much for a while. I'd suggest Rob find another driver.

It's sad I suck so bad starting races here. This is one of my favorite tracks.
Greg Taber

#4 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:28 AM

What Robert said, Greg, make sure to learn the lesson and don't be too hard on yourself. Each one of us has been there mate!

Lorenzo

Edited by mellilore, 26 August 2017 - 10:30 AM.

GPL FOREVER

#5 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Please sleep about it before making hasty decisions Greg. You have nothing to gain by retiring and a lot to lose. I think it's not fair, you told us you did enjoy last race despite the mishap and fuel. The team can't miss you and I won't hire another D1 driver, nor release you as a teamdriver. We win as a team, and we lose as a team.

Maybe it's my fault putting unwanted pressure on you, talking about 1-2 results...that wasn't my aim, I tried to motivate you!

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 26 August 2017 - 10:31 AM.

#6 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 326 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 26 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

We all have our highs and lows, Greg.
I have had my share -about number of hands full- of embarassing and retarded moments (one resulted in a race ban), it's all about falling down and get up again.
Hitting teammates is the last thing you want to do but such unforunate outcome just happens occassionally.
I hope you change your mind about this, you are fun to fight against on the circuit.

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 26 August 2017 - 10:52 AM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

Congrats to Michael for the win, and Yannick and Iestyn for podium. Also admirable job Michi on P4 and Alex in P5. :)

As said, I was very happy with my Pole lap, probably my fastest online and a Brabham PB. Not much in it anymore ATM. Greg also ran a PB I think and it was great we were both on the front row. Start was ok, and nobody had a run on me, braked at my marker for the start and Greg lost reference I believe. Also very tough on Michiel whose sub8 with the Honda was probably the best lap relatively speaking.

However you have to have some luck but finishing here is always a feat, well done finishers, commiserations to the DNF's! ;)

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 26 August 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#8 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 682 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 26 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

Made a mistake in Q, crashing on cold tyres around the final chicane. Then I got confused as to whether I should stop at the pits (which I'd already driven past) or the 'S4 pit out'. Continued with the damage and did a lap with a few spins. I was a second behind Michi, which would be critical later on.

Start was calm at the rear of the grid, but the top 3 went out at T1. Michi almost had a run on Gerd out of T2, but at the end of the lap I was too slow onto the straight and couldn't pass. Next time around, I was sticking closer to Michi, but spun exiting the corner before Schwalbenschwanz (going too sideways on the exit), picking up damage again and being too far back for another lap.

Michi then spun going into the first fast right in S1, however by now the others were too far ahead. Tris lost power and Gerd crashed out at the corner before where I span (first corner exiting the 'virtual pit out') while battling Yannick. Tried for fastest lap on the last lap, but a momentary lapse of concentration in S4 meant I was .3 off Michael :), who I assume was cruising on the last lap!
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#9 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

About my race, I've been able to put together only two complete laps up to friday night and another two right before the event, plus I was out for coins for the team in the Honda, so I had to play it as safe as possible, relative to the place.
Mission accomplished I would say, 7 coins gained and 2 lost with damages due to two errors into the last two laps: I was really tired, by then the left leg always up and down on the clutch was hurting and I went soaked through with sweat... 30°C!!! But, HEY, quite a deal for the team!!!! ;)

Grats to Michael for his second win (WOW!!!), to the podium and to all the finishers.

CYA

Lorenzo

Edited by mellilore, 26 August 2017 - 05:04 PM.

GPL FOREVER

#10 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 05:17 PM

About my race...

I think I have barely practiced as little for a race as this one. I'll just go ahead and irrationally blame it on my new computer because since I got it this week the only thing I played until race day was F1 2016 and 2017. And I like them. A lot. Do not worry, I intend to purchase Assetto Corsa and Automobilista (or any game of that calibre) too someday... but momentarily I will be occupied with these.

So I barely touched GPL until race day so I was somewhat rusty. Hence I managed only one flying lap in qualifying which was not very insufficient. Seventh time or so, fine with me.

So atthe start we ad the infamous moment where we had a Sainz/Kvyat moment, plus another driver tangled in. In a very Zolder-esque manner I jumped many places and was already third, following Michael and Tristan. And while Michael was moving away I was capable to follow Tristan closely, until on lap 3 he decided to hug a tree at Fuchsröhre, and granting me his position.

So I was second and was exceeding my expectations. I was, however, chased by an Eagle who tried to grasp his prey. After a few laps that majestic bird flew somewhere in the wrong direction and so second place was as good as sealed.

A result I am quite ecstatic about considering I thought I'd proably hug a tree as well. But no cuddles for me, so I had to do it with the champagne of the podium. And the title of most consistent for the race, which is becomig a pattern now...

:) :) :)

Thx for racing all, Grats to Michael and Iestyn, and all who finished on this difficult circuit!
See you next race.

#11 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

First time I sat in the car since Argentina so mission for today was finish with a bonus if I didn't make any stupid mistakes. Finish I did, mistakes were made so I'd call it even.

Bit too much wheelspin at the start to gain any positions. Considering the mess in T1 I'm not sure I wanted to be further up anyhow. Not sure what happened up front but my P4 at the flag is mostly due to the top drivers stumbling over each other.

Managed to stick with Gerd, who had a dreadful car until his tyres got up to temps towards the end of the first lap and I lost him. Iestyn already filled you in about L2-3 where I could gap him on the quick parts but held him up in the twisty bits, lost the plot on setup somewhere and never got the front to work properly in the slow parts. Once he was by it was just a matter of keeping the red car in once piece and bring it home any other track this would have been boring but here it was work in itself.
I just wanna race

#12 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:19 AM

Considering I rarely could do a clean lap in practice with an 8:27 being my best in the Brabham the race itself was a pleasant surprise.  Got a nice setup from Ed that I could keep pointed in the right direction which helped.

Qualifying went well with each lap being faster than the last ending up in the 8:27s.

Luckily at the start I dodged the mayhem in T1 and was in 7th after a couple of kilos.

On lap two Alex closed on me and I let him past.  He was somewhat faster but I probably should have fought harder. Somehow I thought he was in a Lotus and that he would surely motor me on the long straight.  I was being pretty careful with all of the tricky spots which at least kept me out of trouble.  Ended up doing 11 consecutive clean but slow laps an scored some points and coins for the team.  Hard to believe I was 30 secs a lap off the pace and didn't get lapped,

Congrats to Mike, Yannick and Ies for great runs.

#13 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:11 AM

I started training at the Nürburgring with two goals in mind -- my first sub 8-minute lap and another podium finish. I never did achieve the first goal. Irritatingly the 8-minute milestone stands a mere 0.56s away from me. The latter goal I was fortunate enough to achieve, albeit not in any way that I could have anticipated.

As usual, my strategy for qualifying at the ‘Ring was to have a clean out lap, then a steady 2nd lap (just to establish a respectable time so that I don’t start at the very back), then a charging hot lap to hopefully get a good grid position. The out lap wasn’t so clean, the hot lap was over the edge, but the 2nd lap ended up being respectable enough for 4th on the grid. My main disappointment was not to have cracked 8 minutes. I wasn’t surprised to see both Robert and Greg ahead of me, but I didn’t expect to see a Honda no matter who was driving it. I am in awe of the laps that Michiel turned this weekend. In my opinion, the most impressive performance of all.

I knew from the practice race that although Michiel could somehow make the Honda fly around the Eifel mountains, he had a little more trouble making it jump off the start line. If I could get a good start, I would probably exit Südkehre in 3rd. I didn’t, however, expect Greg (directly in front of me) to make a bad start. Soon after launching, I had Ferrari exhaust blowing into my cockpit. I looked for any trace of Michiel in my right mirror to confirm that I could take the racing line, but didn’t see him. I upshifted early and resumed the search. Still didn’t see him. (Replay confirms that the space was there. I could easily have taken the racing line. But in the heat of the moment I didn’t feel confident without visual confirmation.) By the time we approached the braking zone, I had resigned myself to not taking the position. I pulled to Greg’s left to give some margin for error under braking, then rolled off the throttle early. Then the rest of the story ... (more on that later).

Exiting Südkehre in the lead was something I hadn’t experienced since the “Christmas Trophy” pre-season race that Roberto hosted a couple years ago. I knew that I could turn 7 clean, quick laps at the Nürburgring. My confidence was high. Unfortunately so were my nerves. During the whole of lap 1 I was very consciously aware of warming the tires and not making any big mistakes. So aware, in fact, that I made several small mistakes that ensured that Tristan and Yannick would fill my mirrors until Schwalbenschwantz. A good run through Galgenkopf and a healthy dose of Cosworth horsepower gave me a little distance before the S/F line and helped settle me down.

For the rest of the race I extended my lead by about 3 seconds/lap until an error at Adenauer Forst ruined my final lap.

The “win” in Argentina wasn’t at all satisfying because so many competitors were eliminated by screen freezes. This one, however, feels legitimate. I got lucky, yes, but that's racing. At least it was decided on the track, not by an electronic or programming failure.

Congratulations to Yannick and Iestyn! It is an honor to share the podium with you. Well done to all the finishers. Welcome back, Michi! It’s nice to see you on track again. And a special thanks to Alex for filling in so ably for the vacationing Frank. Job very well done, Alex!

Now, regarding the first turn contact:
It has been said by others, but it bears repeating -- we have ALL been there before. We have all made that mistake. Even as events were in the process of unfolding, I was emotionally conflicted between the excitement of leading (and possibly winning) the race and feeling absolutely miserable for Greg. Why? Because a decent human being is capable of sympathy. Because I KNEW how miserable he was feeling at that moment (and surely for days afterward). How did I know that? Everyone repeat after me -- “because we’ve ALL been there before!”

Greg, I don’t know what factors are affecting your enjoyment in oAo or GPL in general. If you’re really not enjoying any of it, then maybe it doesn’t make sense for you to continue to pursue it. That needs to be entirely your decision. It’s your life, your time, your effort, your head space.

But whether you continue or not, it’s important to me that you know the following. I really look forward to seeing you on the race track. You and I are quite close in speed and ability. I expect every race that we will probably be near each other, and we usually are. Yours is one of the first names I look for on the starting grid because I always see you as a threat. We have, I think, the perfect friendly, respectful rivalry.

You wanna talk pressure? Who do you think pressured me into a race-ending mistake at monacane this year? Or Zandvoort a couple years ago? You both times. And those are just the ones that I remember off the top of my head. There are other, non race-ending mistakes that I can recount, too. We all feel the pressure and we all make the mistakes: some of them technical in nature, some of them strategic, some of them just plain stupid. Some of them involve only ourselves, others involve or are forced by others. Admitting such things might not fit comfortably with the alpha male attitudes of competitive motor sport, but I’ll admit it! I’m too laid back to even pretend to be an alpha male, anyway.

As for you being “pathetic and embarrassing,” no, you are neither. You had a bad, uncharacteristic moment. You’re actually very good at this, and much respected. Don’t get caught up in a spiral of self loathing -- it’s not worth it and you don’t deserve it. There will be plenty of opportunities for you to overcome this adversity and prove to us all that you are the competitor that we know you to be. For the sake of oAo, GPL, and myself, I sincerely hope that you’ll take those opportunities.

Michael

#14 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 326 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 01:06 PM

Just wanted to add, I unfortunately I could join the chat pre- and post-race.

Last week I bought a new PC so I could join the fun on the modern racing games.
It is fantastic, but it does mean installing stuff back again. And one of my issues was that I have strange troubles some of the chat rooms.

I had the same issue when I got my previous PC and it suddenly worked again, but could not find the reason.
I looked up an old forum post where I spoke about the issue but could not resolve it.

So if anyone has an idea, I'd love to hear.

#15 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

Congratulations on the win Michael, well deserved with steady driving! I remember your struggle with going sub 8 myself. I first went 8:05with the Honda, and BRM, then 8:01 Lotus, 8:01 with Eagle and 8:00 with Ferrari during 2001, until in 2002 with the BRM after some tries I went 7:59, and then later that day twice in 7:58 even, almost a WR at the time. It really is a barrier and the long final straight does nothing to keep you from thinking, don't mess this up now :) It will come, surely if you try now, after the race you had :)

A few days on still such a shame it ended, there was a promise of a great battle ahead for the podium places, and I was getting excited about this, hungry even for it after it seemed I could relatively safely push quite hard for a good result on pretty much the only track on the calendar where it would be possible, in the summer holiday period where I was also able to train a bit more than normal.

Not having raced here in 10 years meant I did need a little bit to reacquaint myself with the differences in layout to let's say the iRacing version, however once I got a decently handling setup it quickly came together and I smelled a sub 8 was feasible, perhaps also improving on the BRM PB 7:58 :)

in the end I did a sub 8 in Q that was clean, and then the second try was even better, possibly a 7:57.9 if taking best sector times, but I ended up overcooking the 3rd sector Angstkurve, going a bit wide and losing time on the grass,  then going racing on the banks at Pflanzgarten II and it ended up being a 8:00 instead, damn :)

Regarding the short race, I am not mad or disappointed at Greg at all actually. It's like the people wrote here already, racing. It can happen to anyone. Me included. I still recall a Masters of GPL race in 2001 at Solitude, where on a lighter fuel load at the start in the BRM I could race faster cars and I ended up rear ending Nicke Lindqvist in a Ferrari going into T2, trying to line him up for a pass into the T3 hairpin there to make the most of my early race advantage. It was an equally tough lesson that I remember ever since.
Actually in the same practice race Michael mentioned, after falling behind him at the start I caught him up and almost did the same going into Schwedenkreuz, the difference in speed there made me steer away from a rear ending accident and into a spin into the wall instead. I should have known that my weight and torque deficit was being countered by going much quicker in certain riskier places and needed to keep more space at first in such areas. I took this lesson into the race where sadly it didn't get the chance to pay off. Sometimes you are just not in the right place at the right time.

Michael, I think your caution in to T1 with not taking the racing line actually made you have the right line to avoid what then happened up front! Good instincts :)

Greg, I hope you don't take your performance this race too heavily on yourself. Being critical of one self when things go wrong isn't bad in itself, but it would be a shame if it leads to avoiding the chance of it happening ever again by not racing at all. On the contrary it will be good to try again, and again. I too had to readjust myself this season to racing close in Kyalami where I overlooked a car and took the racing line when I could not, only just but still. I wish we can welcome you at Monza where the racing will be closely fought for sure, and fun as well!

Edited by Michiel Pompert, 31 August 2017 - 12:43 PM.

#16 Michiel Pompert

Michiel Pompert

• oAo
  • 356 posts

Posted 31 August 2017 - 12:38 PM

And Yannick, that makes two of us regarding the chat problems, I installed GEM with all the functionalities in my iMac last year, running windows 10 as it was the only supported Windows version by Boot Camp for this Mac due to the Retina screen, and as of now never managed to solve the iGOR chat room issues... i can add the oAo room and PW fine but it just never appears as a tab to enter the room. I hope we can find solutions somewhere some day!

Sim Racing Links