P.i.r. Race Reports

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,004 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 22 September 2018 - 06:24 PM

Really glad to have that one behind us. No time to rest at all. Struggled during qualifying and never really got my act together. Had to sit out most of it due to colliding with an upsidedown BRM with about 25 minutes still to go. Car was still drivable but way outside track limits and I couldn't find a way back. :(

Watched my time slowly drop down the grid and despite improving during the final 5 minutes couldn't make any places up so lined up in 4th.

Start seemed to be just about perfect watching the replay. and I settled down behind Alain and we all waited for the 1st person to crack under the pressure. Alain finally made his move and got 2nd off Bo and I followed a few laps later. Mick and Alain certainly seemed to have the set up today to take the top podium spots. I was playing the long game prepared to sit in 3rd and happy to still be in touch with the front 2 and wait for a mistake. I got my reward when Mick clipped the barrier on the exit of T2 promoting me to 2nd. Alain a few laps later exiting the same corner had a coming togeher with a Honda and I found myself in 1st with very little effort on my part.

Although I had seen a few hi 28's around here during practice I didn't get anywhere close to that today, happy to circulate at a speed which kept the RF temps under control. I did clip the barrier exiting the final turn on 1 lap but managed to keep it very clean for the rest of the race.I did wonder if I had bought a knife to a gunfight when I found I was the only ferrari on the grid and thought perhaps everyone knew something I didn't but in the end I think it worked in my favour as those who were lapped were just about perfect considering the lack of passing opportunities around here. Probably having the only red car in the field helped. :)

Really unfortunate for both Mick and Alain. Although I would have tried to make a move later in the race in all honesty I don't think I had the pace to keep up let alone put myself in a position where I could have contested the top 2 spots.

So steady rather than frantic today. The track kept it exciting enough all on it's own.

Interesting what Andrew said about my name on Prib. It happened at Monza (I mentioned it in the race report) and also again today. No warping was evident and my connection seemed solid but my name dissapeared of the Prib display. Everything else was updating as normal (Distances to other cars, Driver colour - I could see Bo was still on the same lap etc). I need to investigate as it's happened twice in a row now and I have no idea what's causing it. :(

Really sorry Bob couldn't make the race. Glad it's nothing more serious than just a loss of power. We had 60mph winds over here during the past few days and while nothing like what Bob experienced my Internet was up and down like a brides nightie on Thursday and Friday.

Congrats to Bo and Alain for the other podium spots, thanks to those who were lapped and commiserations to the retirees.

On to Road America, Whoohoo a proper track..

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#22 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,596 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 08:55 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 22 September 2018 - 05:01 PM, said:

All day, I wondered, 'Where the heck is Bob Simpson?'.  Only after his post above did the light bulb go on.  So sorry to learn that you were a DNE thanks to the storms, Bob.  I saw video on the CBC as it tore through the Ottawa area.  A major scare.  Hope that you and yours are OK.
Our neighbourhood just had a lot of wind and small branches down but the local power grid was smashed so it’ll be a few more days til we have power back.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#23 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 10:49 AM

Very pleased and relieved that your situation was relatively minor, Bob.  Some of the video I've seen is of near-total devastation.  Reminded me more of something from Kansas than the Ottawa valley.

#24 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 600 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 11:20 AM

I don't know how I can not know the answer to this problem, but because it came up yet again yesterday, I thought I'd see if anyone else has shared my pain.

Let's say you're running 6th at P.I.R. and you're closing in to lap the car running 13th (and last). The corner worker is waving the blue flag at your target and, we all hope, he eases up at an appropriate place to let you by without unnecessary drama. You overtake him, you're still 6th, he's still 13th, but from now on there won't be any more blue flags being waved.

Here's my problem: Doesn't this guy behind you now, who has already proven that he hasn't been able to keep up with you so far in the race, nonetheless have every right in the world to try to unlap himself by attacking you at every opportunity he can find? Granted, as I understand the game, as soon as he does slip by you he'll have the blue flag waved at him all over again --- at least until he can put some distance between the two of you --- but if he can't, doesn't that immediately create what we used to call in my earlier life as a computer programmer a tight, infinite loop?

As I noted, this wasn't an academic question for me yesterday. I don't know how it happened, but somehow I'd lapped Tim. The next thing I knew he was behind me, charging like one of the avenging Four Horsemen. I don't know how often or on how many tracks that he and I have run countless laps practically joined at the hip, essentially brothers from another mother. The prospect of that happening at P.I.R. was grimly unappealing to me, and I thought for a while of just letting him by. If he could pick up 30 seconds on me, having already lost that amount, more power to him. It would be better than flaunting a clear and present danger that was never more than a microsecond away from ending both of our races in a GPL time warp.  

OK, what am I missing here?

#25 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 01:27 PM

And... as promised!:

Video is now online!

https://www.youtube....h?v=Hs5Ef1ebQS0

Edit:

Did Bob Holada use 2 shift + R?

In the replay analiser mechanical tab:

13m29.860s
Bob Holada_67 makes a Shift-R? (detection method A - mech problems fixed)

and later:

56m57.860s

Was this permitted?

Edited by MK3424, 23 September 2018 - 02:00 PM.

#26 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

I would think I thought I was faster than the guy who lapped me and they were several laps left with a chance to improve my position it would not be unsporting to try anf unlap myself.  Thats three ifs.

#27 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:24 PM

View PostBurtAugust, on 23 September 2018 - 05:24 PM, said:

I would think if I thought I was faster than the guy who lapped me and they were several laps left with a chance to improve my position it would not be unsporting to try anf unlap myself.  Thats three ifs.

#28 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 05:28 PM

Congrats to all finishers.  This track demanded consistency and concentration.

#29 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:39 PM

Bob Holada had a free sh-R coming due to a ruling  from an earlier race
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#30 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,613 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 06:52 PM

View PostMK3424, on 23 September 2018 - 01:27 PM, said:

Did Bob Holada use 2 shift + R?

In the replay analiser mechanical tab:

13m29.860s

and later:

56m57.860s

Was this permitted?

If I understand the rules correctly as long as it happened in the pits it's OK.
Shift-R (D2 only):
There are 3 sessions to a race weekend. Qual-1  Warmup and Race.
In any of the 3 sessions any lap ended out of a pit box ends that session for you. if you finish any lap in a pit box, you may shift-R or ESC and go out again.
I just wanna race

#31 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:40 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 23 September 2018 - 06:39 PM, said:

Bob Holada had a free sh-R coming due to a ruling  from an earlier race

Ah, okay.

That explains it.

Not everybody knows that somebody has a free shift r.

Thanks for clearing this up.

#32 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 02:41 AM

View PostMichkov, on 23 September 2018 - 06:52 PM, said:

If I understand the rules correctly as long as it happened in the pits it's OK.
Shift-R (D2 only):
There are 3 sessions to a race weekend. Qual-1  Warmup and Race.
In any of the 3 sessions any lap ended out of a pit box ends that session for you. if you finish any lap in a pit box, you may shift-R or ESC and go out again.

Yes, but under normal circumstances, we are only permitted to shift r once.

But Bob Holada had a free shift r because of a ruling from previous race as Bo Bruce mentioned above.

#33 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,008 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:09 AM

"yes, but under normal circumstances, we are only permitted to shift r once"

I do not believe that the above statement is correct. I made a quick check of the rules and I believe that in a D2 race multiple shift -r's can be done from the pits.  Needs clarification.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#34 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 06:46 AM

View Postbobho-in, on 24 September 2018 - 06:09 AM, said:

"yes, but under normal circumstances, we are only permitted to shift r once"

I do not believe that the above statement is correct. I made a quick check of the rules and I believe that in a D2 race multiple shift -r's can be done from the pits.  Needs clarification.

Then it seems that i have made a mistake... my bad... I could have sworn that shift r is permitted only once... ugh..... Mandela Effect

#35 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 09:09 AM

there is no limit to sh-R use in D2
in D1 the pitstop patch allows unlimited stops as well... the only restriction is that they must be done in a pit box << BOX, not access road, pit lane, behind pit boxes etc etc etc.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#36 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,175 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:27 PM

I believe in practice when there is 5min or less left you can go out regardless if you did not make it back to the pits on your previous lap..

Edited by BurtAugust, 24 September 2018 - 08:28 PM.

#37 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,668 posts

Posted 24 September 2018 - 08:56 PM

Burt.. et al-
correct.. last 5 minutes you can go out again.. but once out - SAME RULE APPLIES! so if you crash on track, and can't make it back, you're done qualifying.

the only 'what if' is the occasional 2 cars in 1 place, or a car that is leaving its pit box, only to have a car pop into his, that is now in your line of exit. both may sh-R again as long as neither had left the pit exit.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#38 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,072 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:35 AM

As Bo notes above...

"the only 'what if' is the occasional 2 cars in 1 place, or a car that is leaving its pit box, only to have a car pop into his, that is now in your line of exit. both may sh-R again as long as neither had left the pit exit."

And this is why one should never just drive straight out of their pit stall but rather turn immediately into the free lane.  

#39 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 03:27 PM

Okay, anyways.... what do you think of the videos? I know that i'm not the best driver, i do what i can... This is the only competitive league i'm driving in...

#40 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 119 posts

Posted 25 September 2018 - 04:23 PM

As I've said before, I enjoy the videos and getting to see things I wouldn't otherwise.

Cheers,

Andrew

Sim Racing Links