Preseason Testing

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:09 PM

Testing Week 12 Details  (changes from last test are in blue)

Tracks - download and extract to your rFactor folder.  There are 4 tracks we're testing the mod with: Road America, Sebring, LeMans, and MidOhio.  (If you downloaded these before, no need to redownload)

Time to test the prototypes!  The GTs are nearing completion so it's time to work over the prototypes...  We will start with the P2s this week and go to P1s next week.

To install, you must have the GTs installed first... this will not work without them.  Download packages here.

12/24/09 - please install the update

Notes:
- It's been some time since we tested the protos.  We need to know if any are too dominate or have issues.  Please don't just test the one that sounds the best (you'll know when you find it ;) )
- As you test each of the cars, please post your setups, notes, and details (top speed, fuel, tire wear, brake wear).  The more data we have, the easier it is for us to spot issues.  Just testing the cars without providing this feedback is not helpful...
- Motec data is very helpful. please rar and post your data (once you've settled in on a good setup, etc).

12/28/09 Race
- 75 minute race (standing start, formation lap) at LeMans (in P2)
- Server set to normal tire and fuel wear
- Qual at 9:15pm EST, 15 minutes
- Race start at approximately 9:35 EST

Regarding the season... (no changes)
- obviously we are waiting for v3 of the mod
- we are working to have it ready by end of 2009.
- Current plans are for the season signup to commence in mid-late December
- We will begin license validation races and preseason races (help determine car selection, get used to racing together in large fields, etc) in early January
- Season will kick off the beginning of February.  This gives us a little breathing room in case the mod release is a bit late.
- This means it will run through the summer.  We wanted to try to adjust our schedule to take the summer off, but it's not going to work out due to us changing to v3 of the mod.
- The feedback about the mod has been very positive by our testers.  There is still work to be done, but we're getting there...

Post Race
Replay
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 Pawel Korbel

Pawel Korbel

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 01:07 PM

Hi, yesterday I did many laps in Le Mans with Pescarolo Mazda.  Here are my observations.
I love the sounds; I can feel the suspension working the weight shifting.  Its fun to play with down force and how it affects the car.
One surprise though is behavior of the car in low speeds.  It seams that car has huge amount of front grip and almost no grip at rear.  I had to make rear softest with lots of toe, and front the hardest and stiffest just to be able to control it.  Even with these extreme settings the car oversteers in slow corners.  Its impossible to make it understeer or even balanced for slow speeds, Id say up to 150 km/h.  Later the wings kick in and car can be balanced with them.  Im not talking about hard braking, downshifting and locking rear when coming upon slow corners.  My steering lock was 25 so its not a lack of precision either.
I dont know how these cars behave in real life, but this was for me the biggest surprise trying P2 car, comparing to last mod.  Dont know if this is right or wrong but thats my observation.  Other than that they feel fast and racy.

There are few big bumps on the track.  I was surprised I couldnt see sparks when bottoming out.  I took it for a rid on the track Im making, and sparks were flying like 4th of July celebration, lol.  Probably LeMans track doesnt have collision turned on, or something like that.  Not sure if it means that the speed is not scrubbed off while running cars too low to the ground on Le Mans?

Also, I and few others experienced CTDs while testing on server.  Can it be a track, or P2 cars?  We didnt land in spinner room, complete CTD.  3 times for me.

Regards
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 Mike Hirsch

Mike Hirsch

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:05 PM

Hi everyone

Ive been doing some testing on the mod today in an offline enviornment but not related to driving physics and have a couple of issues maybe others can confirm.
While some issues wont matter online they do show up offline and can help pinpoint problems with cars that are not used.

Right now I have 2 cars not loading because of missing wheel textures.
Lola B1 AER P1 test car , Lola Judd P1 test car

Also with my current settings my pc is really struggling. I dont feel it should.
Its an Intel E8500 and GTX285 with all in game setting maxed except  shadows  50 cars  and 50 showing.
Yes I know I can turn down graphics.  But other mods can run without problems at these settings.

Ive done many tests with same settings but using all the different car models individually
Myself and 50 Ai.  Meaning myself and 50 908's

At first things appear fine game will load and have decent fps.
Exit track reload with different car model again appears fine.
Same thing different car model now it loads and have main screen all garbled . Making me think car model may be problem.
Exit game. Restart rfactor  using same car now its fine. but fps are really not good. To me it appears as if memory is not being freed up, I believe this was a known problem using Nvidia cards at one time.
  For me the bmw f430, 908 have very low fps and then some like the viper lola p1 and p2 cars  get very high fps
Im still testing to see if i can find any paterns but for sure the 908 is killing my system

Mike
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 Jimmi Allison

Jimmi Allison

• Members
  • 139 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 02:28 PM

Ive been testing Lola Judd, Lola Mazda and Rotary briefly.
What springs into mind is:
- All P2s are listed as P1s
- Pitmenu on the ones ive tested have front and rear wheel option
- 1st gear on the Mazda is insane, just sends the car around in donuts:)
- In the slow corners i loose the rear - i have no idea why it does that, anyone got any setup advice or even setups for those beasts. All ive been working on the default setup is gearing.
- Above 11000 rpm on the Lola Judd engine sound goes crazy

Beside those small things sofar its been a blast driving the P2s

GT
- I noticed the Viper had LM tyres, havent seen that on the other GTs
Jimmi Allison
US Pits Racing

#5 Monstar

Monstar

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 05:54 PM

I'll save the driving notes for those more familiar with driving the P cars, but I must say, these cars are awesome, and sound great too.  I got a real thrill messing with the lola-mazda coupes.  Awesome work :beerchug:
Brice Ambrecht

#6 john jogan

john jogan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:23 PM

i've only been tinkering with the p2 mazda rotary and like jimmi said, this thing lacks grip under 100mph.  coming out of arnage and the mulsanna hairpin and even the ford chicane, this thing is on ice.  goes like hell everywhere else!  and sticks like glue!  just the low speed grip is scary.  now, i have no clue as to how proto's are supposed to drive and i have nothing to base it on.  this is the first time i've strapped into a proto since the erl spa race 2 seasons ago, so this may be how they're supposed to handle.  i know they're fun!  never thought i'd say that!  what i've got so far in the rotary p2 mazda:

lacks low speed grip
rears get pretty warm.  around 255 degrees F after 3 or 4 laps.  still have grip, but they are a lot warmer than what we were seeing in the gt cars.  these were mediums, btw.
pit menu lets you change to different compounds for front and rear.
i've been running at 4/10 wings, but there is a huge change when you put it on 4/9.  almost spins at every turn.
the default set was all wonky with vast differences between left and right sides even though the "symmetrical" tab was set to "yes."
brakes get hot real quick but this IS lemans, so every brake zone it full threshold brakes for a long time!  i had ducts on 3 to try to keep a little heat in em at the end of the straights.  
f/r weight adjustments change the handling of the car a LOT.  again, this might be normal for these cars since you're moving weight in something that already weighs next to nothing!
did i mention that they're fun as heck to drive!
Posted Image                     practice, fool

#7 JTninja

JTninja

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

View PostMike Hirsch, on Dec 23 2009, 12:05 PM, said:

Right now I have 2 cars not loading because of missing wheel textures.
Lola B1 AER P1 test car , Lola Judd P1 test car
Mike, any chance you using DX7?

Those who have DX7 might have those issues, as well as with the Zytek...
-JT Tami

Goodbye GT1 Corvette!

#8 Pawel Korbel

Pawel Korbel

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:20 PM

r/f weight distribution is locked  in Pescarolo Mazda
Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 23 December 2009 - 08:58 PM

View PostJTninja, on Dec 23 2009, 09:04 PM, said:

Those who have DX7 might have those issues, as well as with the Zytek...

So what do we do? I can only use DX7 and some a month ago I ask for some help in this track because it wasnt loading for me...it takes me about 2 minutes to load it off-line and about 5 minutes on-line - the loading bar goes till the end but when it reaches the end the game stucks, and I "alt+tab" to Windows, where I can read 2 errors message, both from the "gMotor 2 Errror":
- Error loading Global Material REAR LIGHTS POD
- Error loadind texture ZYTEC_CABIN for Material Cabin
I realized that with the first error reported I am able to enter track by pressing OK on its tab - no mismatches.. - , but when a Zytec enters the room the game crashes.
Also, with all the respect, this isnt a good track to test the mod: you run full trottle in 75-80% of the lap that is some 3:40  long - so your warm up lap takes 4 minutes and if you make a mistake on it or in lap 1 you have to go back to pits, start alll over again just to realize your wings are too much, or you are bottowing, or your coast should be higer, or your gears are wrong, or your breaks are cold, or etc...etc...
To really do a comparision test from v2.65 I think we should use a track most of us are used to and/or one that we already ran with the protos (SPA, Watkins, Greyhound, Rattlesnake...), and/or on a track that demands more from the car than just straight speed, IMHO...
BTW, the few laps Ive throwed with the Lola Judd showed me that this car is a BLAST! Seems these ones wont need much tweaks as the GTs.
I wonder if this is the track to be raced next monday Ill leave for the top guys the honor to race on this awsomw cars you admins put toghether - not without a deep pain in my heart for not being able to participate.
Merry Xmas all, have fun!
:harp:
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#10 JTninja

JTninja

• Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 09:42 PM

Yep, Rob knows about the Zytek and DX7 issue and will fix it before the mod is done. He did the same with the Lolas, which I couldnt previously see in DX7 but now can.

I think Le Mans is a great track to test. Its one of the few times we really test low downforce setups, so we get to see things we dont see at other tracks.

Ive only done a bit of testing so far (expect more on Christmas!), but so far Ive taken a few P2s with very similar setups and 2/8 wing. My speed trap going into the first chicane on the Mulsanne:

Lola Mazda - 202mph
Porsche RS Spyder - 199mph
Zytek - 198mph

From what Ive seen, the Lolas might have too much power, maybe the Acura. Working on testing the Radicals and Pescass...Ill attach basic setups later for those that need them (decent gearing, easy to drive)
-JT Tami

Goodbye GT1 Corvette!

#11 Paul Danrich

Paul Danrich

• Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Can anything be done with the Lola Mazda's P1 rear view mirror/camera?  It's angled down so can't see behind very well.  I have to lower the seat to where it's hard to see over the dash to get the angle right.  No side mirrors either so can't tell where other cars are.  Traffic's gonna be a nightmare in this car and wrecks due to poor visability are sure to happen.  Also I am able to take the packers to 0 and run the car at minimum ride height without bottoming.....This car may be the beemer of the P1's as of now judging off the fast tracker...This P1 is so fun, sounds insane and so crazy fast it makes me wonder why we're even messing with GT cars .. :rolleyes:  :beerchug:

#12 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:53 AM

Please add the 12/24/09 Update (download in private forum).

- BMW tires are now on par with the other GT cars (heating coefficients were higher than the others)
- GT engine files noted as updated (no actual change to the engines themselves)
- Aston Martin GT engine file rev limiter default setting now 100rpm below lifetime number
- Experiment with Corvette engine sounds to give more powerful feedback
- Sounds for Aston Martin Vantage set to different pack
- Prototype engine files have been updated with engine lifetime rpm levels at peak horsepower rating
- Prototype engine rev limiters set to default values in line with engine lifetime rpm
- Prototype differential overall effect reduced
- Damage files adjusted
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• GPLVOR
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

I have to lower the seat to where it's hard to see over the dash to get the angle right.

I'm pretty sure if you hold down SHIFT then use your driving postion adjust keys, you can adjust the mirrors to fit your preferred driving position.

#14 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:51 AM

View PostBruce Fisher, on Dec 24 2009, 09:53 AM, said:

- Experiment with Corvette engine sounds to give more powerful feedback
- Sounds for Aston Martin Vantage set to different pack

Corvette engine sounds much batter, but cuts out and back in a one point through all gears.

The Aston Martin GT2 has a throaty V8 sound in real life. The previous version using the Saleen sounds were closer to what it really sounds like. See video:

#15 Jason Quinn

Jason Quinn

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:01 PM

The cars really need to come with a better default setup.  I was getting quite frustrated with how the cars behave at low speeds and under braking, until Chuck sent me a setup he was working on.  It absolutely transformed the car and works with all of the cars we've tried so far.  It would seem, looking at FLT, that it is a fairly quick setup as well ;)

I'm capable of running mid 26's in the P2 Lola Mazda Turbo.  My time in the P1 Mazda is with no fuel and soft tires, just to see what it would do :)  I plan to do some testing with more P2 cars this Saturday.  I'm curious how they stack up against each other.  BTW, Chuck's P2 time and my 26's are done with full fuel and Med tires.

Jason

#16 Scott Hovanec

Scott Hovanec

• Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:05 PM

View PostJason Quinn, on Dec 24 2009, 02:01 PM, said:

... until Chuck sent me a setup he was working on.  It absolutely transformed the car and works with all of the cars we've tried so far.
Share the love?

View PostMike Bennett, on Dec 24 2009, 10:58 AM, said:

I'm  pretty sure if you hold down SHIFT then use your driving postion adjust  keys, you can adjust the mirrors to fit your preferred driving position.
I didn't know that, many thanks!

Without trying the setup Jason referred to above, have to agree that the Lola's (coupe and B4) are like driving on ice at slow speeds.  Haven't tried anything else yet.  FWIW, attached is motec data and the setup I just ran.

Attached Files

"Formula 1 for kids.  Sports cars for men" - Michele Alboreto

#17 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 01:18 PM

View PostJason Quinn, on Dec 24 2009, 03:01 PM, said:

The cars really need to come with a better default setup.

You have a choice - we could have held up the release to everyone so that we can work on default setups... or we can release them quicker and let everyone help us develop default setups.

Yeah, we chose the later too ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 john jogan

john jogan

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:07 PM

here's a base for ya.  it's for the rotary mazda, but if you play with the gearing, it'll work for the other p2 cars as well.  hits 200-201 and it's flat out from the exit of arnage to the braking zone at the ford chicane.  fun stuff!

Attached Files

Posted Image                     practice, fool

#19 doval

doval

• Members
  • 575 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 03:08 PM

I had the same problem at first with the Mazda spinning at slow speeds, but with a little tuning and a little more patience with the right foot :) I was able to stop that. I have found luck so far with the Acura, Lola B4 Judd, Radical AER, and mostly the Mazda (which is just awesome to listen to). The Acura and Lola B4 felt pretty good right away, and then I transferred the setup I was running with those to the Mazda and it lit right up!!!

No if I could have that kind of setup luck with the GT's :)  I used SCott's setup for the race Monday night and it was the most predictable I've driven so far. That's been the toughest thing for the GT's with me....the sudden oversteer off the corner, which I know is coming somewhat from the understeer I have on entry, but I'm afraid to drive the car hard in in fear of a snap oversteer.

Chuck
Chuck

Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 Drew McLean

Drew McLean

• Members
  • 328 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

The link in the private forum for the Protos isnt working right now. Will check later. Have a fun holiday everyone!!!  :beerchug:
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links