• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:29 AM

So, how to start?

First of all, congrats to Ed Cullen for his victory: it was very well deserved, his Eagle rocketed across the track like it was nobody's business. I have to apologize to him for the first lapping he made on me: I was trying to give him the racing line, but the differential thought otherwise and made me go wide, so I had to sharply turn right and give it to him. This meant a near-hit but luckily everything went well.

So, the qualifying session wasn't that great, since I was still forced to do 1 outlap, 1 timed and 1 outlap, but the really short 1st gear managed to give me the edge while starting. I don't know if everybody experienced the same problem, but there was somewhat a lag issue at T1, since for long periods of time I couldn't see anybody, so I had to thread carefully. When everybody was up again, I realized I was 12th. Woohoo! :D

Too bad that the hairpin everything seemed to go to Hell because I got hit by a Ferrari and spun, and got hit by a Honda in the side. Managed to get back in the race, but I set myself on "Just bring it home and don't bullshit around" mode. Sure, there were some shenanigans (mainly because it's difficult to be consistent with a keyboard ) but in the end, when I saw that chequered flag, I felt like I really won it.

This time the Cooper didn't betray me and Maserati didn't bullshit me.

And it was fantastic!

I hope to be in a better car next season though ^^;

Edited by Gabriele Maruca, 18 November 2017 - 06:34 PM.

"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#2 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:41 AM

Gabriele, my hat off to you ! a keyboard ??! wow.. tried it when I first bought the game in 2001 and just couldn't so bought a wheel..

Qualified 5th again, very cautious start and first lap then for after about 10 laps I was able to gain on George; maybe he felt the pressure because he lost control at T1 and was sideways in the middle of the track when I arrived,

I slowed down and kept left but he started moving forward and hit me (hope he just did not see me ...? :wounded1: ) will watch the replay..

I must say that I lost concentration and made a couple of mistakes that allowed Mr Chapman to pass.. so for the rest of the race I tried different lines and had fun, finishing 6th :wiggle:  used my free shift R tough...

Edited by Aljones, 18 November 2017 - 11:42 AM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#3 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:49 AM

qual 8th.. but a PB EVER! w/49+  but 8th?
going to be some promotions next season :D

start was good, Alain was a little slow and i got next to him but being lap 1 i backed off, luckily as Claudio got sideways and Alain and i barely got by (have to see who didn't in replay)
from there it was watching Alain increase the gap each lap.
At first Mick was behind me and i was paying more attention to how close he was than just maintaining my pace and i had my first off :P stupid me.
now Ronnie is behind but i'm up 4s or so and increasing the gap...
until...
yep another brain fart and i was lucky to continue, but now down 6s to Ronnie ... lots of laps and i knew i was faster so i just focused and sure enough was able to catch him.
but wow...there are not many places to overtake here (yes i just learned that) and so only T1 was the place....and after #? laps i finally was able to get p7 back in my pocket!
good racing with both Mick and Ronnie!!

Congrats to Ed.. and podium!
a good season to be sure - a short break and then we'll see who's coming back.  s21 will start in Feb
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#4 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 11:58 AM

Just realized I used my allowed shift R on the track instead of in the pits.... :blush:  bye bye 6th place, coins and spoils...... :cry:   now my sponsors will abandon me, the bank will take back the Brabham and

My Wife will change the locks...OH ! the shame.... anybody have a dog house to rent till next season ?

Edited by Aljones, 18 November 2017 - 12:07 PM.

#5 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,737 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:00 PM

Almost did a pb with the Honda in practice before the race.  Couldn't duplicate it on the race, but soldiered on to the finish.  I hope I didn't mess anyone up.  I promise to be faster, next season!

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#6 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:10 PM

View PostAljones, on 18 November 2017 - 11:58 AM, said:

Just realized I used my allowed shift R on the track instead of in the pits.... :blush:  bye bye 6th place, coins and spoils...... :cry:
Not at all. A normal Shift-R must be done in the pits, but a "compensatory" Free Shift-R can be used anywhere on the track. As long as you did that only once at Mexico, you're OK.

Michael

#7 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,115 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

One of my best races(especially with a Honda) if I do have to toot my own horn.   One factor is my new wheel and pedals.  My G25 was probably 10 years old and had served me well.  I quickly gained some confidence with my new setup. I also got in a lot of laps before the race.  Qualified well (for a Honda). My only costly mistake was at the start.   I missed getting the car in gear before mashing the accelerator.  Its amazing that the engine didn't blow up. So I get going a bit gingerly and I'm last.  Took advantage of mistakes by Don and Gabrielle and then tracked down Andrew. After getting by Andrew I knew I'd need to keep the Honda on the track cause Andrew had good pace.  Niky(Ferrari) was now in view. I was unable to get very close till we only had 4 laps to go. I was right on his tail (except for powering out of slow turns). But Niky did a great job in not giving up  9th place.   Happy with 10th (did I mention that was with the Honda :boom: )

Congrats to all of oAo

Edited by bobho-in, 18 November 2017 - 12:47 PM.

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#8 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:46 PM

Alain... read the email i sent on the matter :)  or, as Michael says.....
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#9 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:00 PM

Hi all,

Congtrats to Ed for the wins. Gabriel I can't believe you use a keyboard! Great job.

I did my usual dance of reloading windows through the night to compensate for not being able to fix GEM. Got everything tucked away right before Q but not having driven since Watkins Glen I was slow as molasses. I was about 3 seconds off my best time in the Honda but even that was a minor miracle given how sleepy I felt in the esses. I know for sure I wouldn't have been able to keep up with my faster setup and so going with the default can be seen as a prudent move. Couldn't remember what I'd changed so point is slightly moot anyways.  I very slightly brushed the armco five times and a little more than slightly on two other occasions did the same to the tires. But I never lost a wheel which I did semi regularly even when I was driving much better back around the time of the Nurburgring so came away with something for the winter.

Going into the the race I was just hoping  to stay out of the way. The Honda seems pretty tolerant of my driving but T1 is a real corner so I went in prepared for mayhem. What I didn't count on was forgetting to change the default fuel settings. It said 50 - I hoped that meant litres but a quick check of the speed readout indicated otherwise and made me even more cautious on the entry. I lost track of Don in the process. I hope i didn't squeeze him too much. After that I just got on with it and moved away from the group behind and stayed within about 10s to the group ahead. I was pretty scared to be around others given where I was braking bu it didn't end up being too much of a problem. Towards the end I picked up enough damage to make me pretty slow in the esses and the mortally wounded Pepe' (I 'd passed while he was beached) came back at me and got me going into the hairpin. He'd been very close the lap before so I went high hoping I could run it around the outside but by the time I got back on the power he was well ahead. A few more mistakes and I came back on him but then Alain and Ed lapped me and that was that. I was keen to not go down 2 laps but I was just too slow to do anything else.

All that said it was great to partake in the championship and I look forward to S21. Might try the BRM if no else wants to. Hopefully by February I'll be on a different OS and able to practice more in the ADC. I think I was a lot sharper when I raced there during the week and here every other weekend.

PS I was another who misread the Shift-R rules. Thanks for clarifying. I never used the normal shift-R since I couldn't figure out how to get the pitstop patch to work but I imagine I'll find uses for the compensatory Free Shift-R going forward.

Cheers,

Andrew Hutchinson

#10 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:08 PM

Bob, You had a a great weekend once again. I knew from your practice times that I wasn't going to be able to stay in front. For a while it seemed stable, with some of the guys in the next group squabbling and I figured the same was happening near where you were and then you took 3s out of me and that was that... You were a second a lap faster over the race and I stayed on track so no chance. You were in a different race.

Congrats.

Andrew H

#11 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:14 PM

I knew this morning what Charles Dickens meant when he wrote, "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times . . ." In the last three days I'd set PBs three times, the most recent one last night. This morning, not twelve hours later, I came onto the track for pre-qualifying practice and might as well have been looking at the GPL grand prix track in Uzbekistan. I couldn't get within 0.75 seconds of my best lap. Nothing I did seemed to help. Finally, about ten minutes before qualifying was to start I went off-line, practiced some starts, set the fuel to a qualifying load, and returned with another Dickens' novel, great expectations. They were not to be met.

For ten minutes or more in qualifying I was running laps in the range of 1:51-1:52, two seconds slower than what I'd been expecting. The car resembled a pig sloshing through a muddy sty. At some point I glanced at the fuel and saw 12+ gallons in the tank. Say what!? This news really destroyed what little was left of my confidence. Normally I'll give myself no more than 15 minutes to produce a decent qualifying lap, at which point I'll take on a full load and practice with that. I could already see that the grid was likely to be full, or nearly so. I didn't want to be in the middle of the swamp. A time close to my PB would probably put me 7th or 8th. I pitted, unloaded the tank, and with maybe one minute remaining finally got a decent lap and was gridded 9th, between Mick and Ronnie.

In the first couple of laps I improved to 7th overall, but it was nothing but a mirage. There were 17 cars on the track and I was the only one driving with a blindfold. On the 4th lap I tapped the outside of the hairpin wall. My teammate, Niky, was clearly faster in his Ferrari, so when he began clawing at my bumper on the next lap, I let him by. There's not a dime's worth of difference between our best times on the original tracks, and it clearly wasn't going to be my day to be the team hero. It turned out to be the first of the two most inspired moves I made during the whole race. A couple of laps later Niky went off when he clipped the vicious curb at the beginning of the esses. It took him five laps to appear in my mirrors again, and once more I let him by --- my second and last good maneuver --- not long after I'd performed a ridiculous pirouette directly in front of him as we were sliding through T1. In theory the team championship depended upon one of us finishing no worse than 9th, and here I was doing everything I could to DNF both of us with 20 laps to go. Can it get any more idiotic than that?

So, these were hard times (yes, more Dickens) indeed, but all's well than ends well (that wasn't Dickens, was it?). With his 9th place finish, Niky may have salvaged the team's hopes for the year. Congratulations, my man! I'm glad someone showed up for the team today.  :)

#12 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:35 PM

Thank you Michael and Bruce ! that is a relief !  only realized after the race what I have done when I recap the race with my Chief Engineer ( Dear Wife) :Eyecrazy:

Maybe She will let me sleep on the couch.... :whistling:   If only I could give Her some coins of my gains to go shopping  sigh....

PS Bruce, didn't get any email..

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 18 November 2017 - 01:46 PM

First, many congrats to Ed for the win, and the championship. Well deserved mate! Great effort by Alex, who was unlucky and drove with a half broken wheel as well!

Pending official results, it looks like Honey Badger Racing clinched it, but we have to wait for it. It was a great clean fight throughout the season, and even when I made mistakes myself with team decisions, I have no regrets. It's just a matter to learn from them as I tried to learn from my mistakes/attitude/behaviour last season...

Anyhow, I'm so proud on Pepe's and Niky's efforts, and I wanted them to win something badly. Not for myself, but for the team, including Greg and Michi. This is a superb league, and the team system makes things very special, for me at least. Without the team I couldn't have won the D1 c'ship. The team fight this year has been very exciting at the front. :)

Very much looking forward to next season, and thanks to all oAo members and officials for making this such a special league! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 18 November 2017 - 01:48 PM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#14 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 750 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 18 November 2017 - 03:53 PM

I have so much enjoyed this season. :) I qualified 10th, and incredibly there was no T1 pileup, and I ended up 9th on L1.  Niky was on my tail, but Pepe seemed to be struggling for some reason, and I overtook him and pulled away.  I was on Bo's tail, making no headway, when he spun, and I took 7th.  I knew it couldn't last, and he retook my with a few laps to go.

Mexico is a great track, with so many different lines to take.  I still didn't manage to beat my 2005 lap time - oh well. :)

Congratulations to Ed on the championship.  Isn't it amazing that people from Australia, all of Europe, North and South America are united by a racing sim? :)

Edited by Ronnie Nilsson, 18 November 2017 - 03:56 PM.

#15 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on 18 November 2017 - 03:53 PM, said:

Congratulations to Ed on the championship.  Isn't it amazing that people from Australia, all of Europe, North and South America are united by a racing sim? :)

That makes it very special indeed.... :clap3:

#16 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 18 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Congratulations to Ed on another great win sealing the championship in the process, also Alex for rounding out the podium and taking 2nd in the championship.

Was very surprised to grab 2nd on the grid and even more surprised to be so close to Ed's time as when it was posted I thought we might as well all go home. Got a great start and even had a sneaky peek down the side of Ed heading into T1 but sanity prevailed and followed him through with Alex filling my mirrors. Over the next 10 laps or so Ed simply motored off into the distance and I just couldn't find any way of matching his pace at all, meanwhile Alex was reminding me of his presence by still filling my mirrors at every opportunity. There was never more than 50yds or so between us. Then what was probably the defining moment in the race from my perspective happened on Lap 11 when we came around to lap Don. I had pulled out as big a gap between Alex and myself (Which wasn't much) and I arrived on Don's tail entering T1. I did think about a block pass to try to place Don between us and give me a chance to make a break but instead took the cautious approach and followed him through T1 / 2 and passed him on the run down to T3 /4. Not sure what happened, (Haven't checked the replay). But I think Alex and Don had a coming together as he tried to follow me through. This gave me a good 500yd lead  which I was able to maintain, even extend later in the race. So the last 2/3rds of the race was a pretty lonely affair, I could see Ed way off in the distance and also powering out of the hairpin as I was entering the braking area but he continued is march towards the flag  and there was nothing I could do to even steady the gap.  I would like to think I kept him honest but in reality he was a class above today.

Contrats all finishers and thanks to those who were lapped for making it a painless affair.

Thanks to Bo for all your hard work and everyone involved in this great league.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#17 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 19 November 2017 - 03:50 AM

Hi guys, for some reason I never felt comfortable in this race, there was a problem when I joined, in IGOR, it looked as if there were 19 lodged in when I tried to, consequently when I did it only stayed up for about 30 seconds, then the computer crashed, after that I had to restart my computer.

Whenever I start GPL it takes about 5 minutes for the program to run smoothly, did manage to get a couple of laps in, but on this one occasion where I wanted to get a reasonable position on the grid I just wasn’t able to, at about 10 or12 laps in the engine blew, that was my fault, just couldn’t settle down to a steady pace, so r- shift in the pits, off again 4-5 laps latter hit the Armco somewhere, then went wide at the hairpin, and finally hit the Armco again on the back after the tight s, I think it was Alex that I very nearly took out as he could not avoid my caearing around in front of him, it was then I thought it was time to throw my hook out the window, the car was wrecked, no joy to be had here.

Thanks to all of you for allowing me to have so much fun in this my first full year in oAo.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 20 November 2017 - 02:45 AM.

#18 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 244 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:01 AM

Well how cool is this! I'm not usually the one in the winners cycle. I haven't played GPL for over
10+ years and it was a itch I had to scratch. Finding a league to suit my spare time was another
factor, I live in the worst time zones going, everyone start when going to work or just
finishing. So finding oAo was a jackpot +12 hour suited me down to the ground.

So my 1st Thanks go's to Bo Bruce and Admins at oAo that provide the Servers and Web pages
for us to race. I for one appreciate you putting in your spare time to make it all happen.

2nd Thank go to Bert August for taking a chance with a unknown privateer from down-under,
at the half way mark (8 races) I was struggling to put points on the board with just 1 top 3 finish
and 3 races zero points scores. Its was his guidance and patience that set me up for a better second half.

3rd go to BEND RACING team mates Gerd Hofferer man you are so quick in the Eagle you
were my yard stick. I was away pushing myself to get close to your times, never did get there
maybe next season. Claudio Navonne mister consistent in the first half you carried me and
showed me how to keep the points and coins following.

D2 Championship was a team effort from the first race with out the coins gained and
managed. I wouldn't of had a quick car each race. Finishing 3rd in the championship not
to shabby boys.

4th thanks to all of the drivers of D2. What a Championship it was so close right down to the
last race. Competition pushes a man and man you guys shoved me forward, 7 difference race
winners, 6 difference pole sitters, 6  difference fastest laps (Shoot out to Roberto Baldassarri 7 times)
To all other drivers never once did I get hit or taken out Thank You.

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:12 AM

I believe it's official, so many congrats to Honey Badger Racing for winning the team championship! :)

Well done Michael, Frank (Killer), Alex, Tames and George! At the start of the season I knew HBR was the team to beat. Alex is arguably the best teamdriver overall in oAo. Great guy and racer (he was last year's D2 champ and also Team champ with us).

No complaints, it was a very clean fight. Michael is a great Teamleader and guy, and formed a strong team overall with drivers being potentially able to get podiums every race. There's no need to look back to see where we lost it or could have won it: it is the same for HBR. So much stuff happens throughout the season, I have no regrets but there are lessons to be learnt by me, but happily not as many as last season. ;)

It's just disappointing for my teamies, but it's been a fun ride, the team championship. We gave our best but we just missed out. It says a lot about the points system we were competitive even with a whole season with D2 G1 drivers. Dedication and passion wins always!

Many thanks to Pepe, Niky, Michi and Greg for their commitment and contributions this year!

Looking forward to next year's team fight, and hopefully more teams can get in the mix depending on commitment levels. To me the team system makes oAo that much special. Superb job Bruce and all involved! :)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 November 2017 - 09:21 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#20 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 819 posts

Posted 19 November 2017 - 09:54 AM

What Rob said. It never ceases to amaze me that we can have so much fun driving 50 year-old cars in a 20 year-old video game.

Toward the end of yesterday's race Andrew and I were going toe-to-toe for about five laps, neither of us completely in control of our cars or much else. Greg Taber told me once that it caused him almost physical pain to have to watch D2 replays like that. But to me it looks like ballet. What can be as dramatic as seeing a thundering pack of 17 cars hurtling down the track at 180 mph into T1 on the first lap and somehow surviving? I don't know what my life would be like without this wonderful game. I only hope it will be a long time before I find out.

Sim Racing Links