• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Peter Burke

Peter Burke

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:03 AM

not that anyone actually uses this forum, but I'll post something here anyway:

Apparently road course racing isn't what iRacing folks like to do, at least our attendance after Indy has seriously taken a hit.

I've added the data to the scoring site - all data there is now up to date

race result
Posted Image

qualifying
Posted Image

lap graph (we're talking lead changes!)

Posted Image

standings after race 5 (third points race)

Posted Image

#2 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:18 AM

Hi Peter :)

Glad to see some familiar faces at the iRacing Division  :beerchug:

About the attendance, I would not worry. I think there are way too many offers out there nowadays. The days where the main choices, by far, were GPL and NR2003 are gone and with rFactor, GTR2, GRT Evo, Race07, iRacing and the rest, it is difficult to see where the crowds are atm.

Anyway, I think that iRacing has a great future, though I am not sure where it is going now.
AP

#3 Peter Burke

Peter Burke

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 11:24 AM

View PostArturo Pereira, on Dec 8 2009, 06:18 AM, said:

Hi Peter :)

Glad to see some familiar faces at the iRacing Division  :beerchug:

About the attendance, I would not worry. I think there are way too many offers out there nowadays. The days where the main choices, by far, were GPL and NR2003 are gone and with rFactor, GTR2, GRT Evo, Race07, iRacing and the rest, it is difficult to see where the crowds are atm.

Anyway, I think that iRacing has a great future, though I am not sure where it is going now.

Arturo,

actaully, the only competition I see on iRacing is iRacing and other hosted leagues on iRacing (there has been an explosion of offerings). Plus the fact that it is really hard to promote these things. Tthe bulk of iRacing members are just happy with the regular race calendar there and don't look in  the iRacing forums to find hosted leagues, nor will anyone look outside of iRacing to find that, like here in this forum. The other simulators are not at all in contention with those who are on iRacing and have the license to run the Dallara (and that is almost all of our active league drivers).  None of them will see much reason to ever fire up rFactor again. I am about to delete all of it from my shrinking hard drive ;-)

Sure, the league is good fun, but I am having a blast just running the regular iRacing Dallara series. Just last week I ran seven 30 lap races at Road America and the smallest field was 22 cars, most of the time it was 28 to 30. Now, I don't remember the last time in my sim Racing history I ever road-raced more than 19 cars and even those 19 car GPL fields way back in the day were the exception. It's the same pressure each time out you get from a good league race, but you've been waiting for weeks for hta tleague event to finally come around. The difference is, if things do go well in your iRacing event, just run again 2 hours later, when there will be another 20+ drivers ready to go, suck up the Safety rating drop and drive even better. There's so much racing available, I don't have enough time in my day to take advantage of all the events I would want to run in.

I think if we can maintain 10+ drivers, I'll keep doing the iRacing league for another season once this one is over, because I do like the longer races we host. If attendance does not stay that high, I may just give up and do what iRacing was designed to do, since it's costing too much $$ to host events that are less attended than the ones I can run in for the base subscription fee. I could have bought two more tracks for the money I spent on hosting so far.

Bottom line - iRacing, even without hosted racing is where I will be racing for quite some time to come. It has it's flaws (like some of the cars are just in bad need of some fixes), but once you find what you like, you usually are surrounded by drivers who are pretty serious about the same thing.

#4 Arturo Pereira

Arturo Pereira

AtlasF1 Legends League

• Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:14 PM

View PostPeter Burke, on Dec 8 2009, 02:24 PM, said:

Arturo,

actaully, the only competition I see on iRacing is iRacing and other hosted leagues on iRacing (there has been an explosion of offerings). Plus the fact that it is really hard to promote these things. Tthe bulk of iRacing members are just happy with the regular race calendar there and don't look in  the iRacing forums to find hosted leagues, nor will anyone look outside of iRacing to find that, like here in this forum. The other simulators are not at all in contention with those who are on iRacing and have the license to run the Dallara (and that is almost all of our active league drivers).  None of them will see much reason to ever fire up rFactor again. I am about to delete all of it from my shrinking hard drive ;-)

Sure, the league is good fun, but I am having a blast just running the regular iRacing Dallara series. Just last week I ran seven 30 lap races at Road America and the smallest field was 22 cars, most of the time it was 28 to 30. Now, I don't remember the last time in my sim Racing history I ever road-raced more than 19 cars and even those 19 car GPL fields way back in the day were the exception. It's the same pressure each time out you get from a good league race, but you've been waiting for weeks for hta tleague event to finally come around. The difference is, if things do go well in your iRacing event, just run again 2 hours later, when there will be another 20+ drivers ready to go, suck up the Safety rating drop and drive even better. There's so much racing available, I don't have enough time in my day to take advantage of all the events I would want to run in.

I think if we can maintain 10+ drivers, I'll keep doing the iRacing league for another season once this one is over, because I do like the longer races we host. If attendance does not stay that high, I may just give up and do what iRacing was designed to do, since it's costing too much $$ to host events that are less attended than the ones I can run in for the base subscription fee. I could have bought two more tracks for the money I spent on hosting so far.

Bottom line - iRacing, even without hosted racing is where I will be racing for quite some time to come. It has it's flaws (like some of the cars are just in bad need of some fixes), but once you find what you like, you usually are surrounded by drivers who are pretty serious about the same thing.

That is ok Peter :) Do what you think is right. We do this for fun anyway :beerchug:
AP

Sim Racing Links