S7 R11 Salta. July 16/09 How Was Your Race?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Phil Ashio

Phil Ashio

• Mybroga
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Cars, Racing Cars, watching Cars race, computers, computer games, Wife and kids. Not necessarily in that order.

Posted 16 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Qualified last as usual but I felt good about the car and my setup. Race started!!! There was no formation lap!!! Remenants of The Green hell?? It looked like it caught a lot of people off guard. Spins and people tripping all over each other. It was kinda amusing actually. After the first lap incidents the race was on. A lot of good battles out there. I was actually competative. I had some good battles with J Kay and a bit with Adnan, but it was not to last. I was catching J Kay. Making up time on him lap after lap. I was 1 or 2 laps away from counting the number of bolts on his gearbox when I spun into the wall coming onto the main straight. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. On to next race.
It takes 46 muscles to frown but only 4 to flip 'em the bird.

#2 pai

pai

Gabriel Legnini

• Mybroga
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:28 PM

C'mon, admit it, I'm good at picking tracks for racing :P maybe I choose non conventional tracks, but you can't deny that they work great for 79s! :D

I grabbed my original car for this season (Lotus) and used spare time for practicing here. It was the first time that I drove this car seriously, and I must say that, even if it seems very hard to drive at first, with the right setup the car becomes a wonder to drive.

From what I saw on practice tonight, it seemed that Samuel and I were very close on pace, so I was pretty excited about the race, and was not turned down with Qualy, even being floored by Alien Krueger. I tried during most of the session to qualify with my race suspension, but it didn't work, as I was not even hitting my PB. So I grabbed my previous Q setup and peeled off 4 tenths, and got a PB, but was not enough to hit 19s, which was the objective...2nd spot was very good though, onto race.

As usual, I turned off my engine on the grid, waiting for formation to start, for lowering heat. When counter reached zero, red lights turned on :o OMG I NEED TO START THIS THING FAST!!!!. But when the lights went green, my engine had just started, and lost several spots off the line. Being confused with that, and adding the fact that tyres and brakes were colder than expected, I went off at T1...rejoined at last spot. Tried to recover ground, taking advantage of other's mistakes. I was driving behind Dom, who had very strange braking points, so I was very surprised to see me going straight towards his back on last corner, and couldn't avoid him. I tapped him and send his car spinning, so I promptly waited for him to rejoin and off we went. We lost a couple of spots but both cars were still fine :). Again, more mistakes allowed me to climb spots up to 4th place, then I overtook Maxi on the backstraight, thanks to the beautiful corner speed of the Lotus 79 that gave me a great exit speed on that sector, thanks for letting me have it braking into the following sweeper ;)

And the best part of the race started: trying to catch Daniel. He was 10 seconds ahead, but a couple of mistakes from him allowed me to gain ground and gap was settled at 3s. He was running a very consistent pace, so it took me lots of laps to come at his back, but then a couple of mistakes from my own put me back again, then a mistake from Danno allowed me to reach his back again. I was driving close to him, looking for a possible overtaking point, something that seemed very hard. But he went a tad wide at T2 and I was able to grab 2nd place. Samuel was already at 30seconds, but I did not let up, knowing that Daniel would do a late charge for retaking his spot. A couple of mistakes from him gave me a safe pace for securing the spot.

Even without the havoc at the start, I would not have been able to fight that damn McLaren, its driver put an insane pace. Mine did not improve, I was lapping at low 22s for the whole race. Only in the last laps I found a way to push more the car and hitted a couple of 21s, but it was obviously too late :P

Still very happy with the result :2a:

Congrats Samuel :1a: top notch driving! :thumbup:

And a big congratulation to Daniel, after lots of troubles on this season you were really deserving a podium! :3a:

Edited by pai, 16 July 2009 - 09:30 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

This time it blew-up really spectacular! When I realised it was about to go, I gave the accelerator pedal an extra kick and shot the revs up to 12,000…just to make quite sure.

Jochen Rindt - Watkins Glen GP 1967

#3 Jonathan Stiener

Jonathan Stiener

Jonathan

• GPLVOR
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:30 PM

View PostPhil Ashio, on Jul 16 2009, 09:53 PM, said:

Qualified last as usual but I felt good about the car and my setup. Race started!!! There was no formation lap!!! Remenants of The Green hell?? It looked like it caught a lot of people off guard. Spins and people tripping all over each other. It was kinda amusing actually. After the first lap incidents the race was on. A lot of good battles out there. I was actually competative. I had some good battles with J Kay and a bit with Adnan, but it was not to last. I was catching J Kay. Making up time on him lap after lap. I was 1 or 2 laps away from counting the number of bolts on his gearbox when I spun into the wall coming onto the main straight. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted. On to next race.

Short and not so sweet for me. As Phil said, I was caught out by no warm up lap. I actually got a good start but Gabe got a horrible start and I ran right into him. I then proceeded to follow him off into t1. After that, I managed to recover all the way back to 4th by end of lap 1 due to others going off. I then moved up to p3 after one of the brabs went off into t2. On lap 6 i repeated his performance in t2 and got stuck on a curb engine expired... Shame really as I drove track for 1st time tonite and picked it up straight away, had a nice flow to it..

Cya next week.

Jonathan
I like to go fast................

Posted Image

Posted Image

J.Stiener rFRacing License

Current GPL rank:-52.051
Monster rank:-257.981
Challenge Rank:-25.472
Historic Rank: -8.075

#4 Gunny

Gunny

S2 MRC GPC79 CHAMPANZEE

• GPLVOR
  • 1,359 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:58 PM

Sorry guys I totally forgot about resetting the formation lap.
Maybe next season my sever will just be a backup server if needed. I have to many things going on right now to keep up.

Gunny

Attached Files

#5 Jonathan Stiener

Jonathan Stiener

Jonathan

• GPLVOR
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 11:23 AM

View PostGunny, on Jul 16 2009, 10:58 PM, said:

Sorry guys I totally forgot about resetting the formation lap.
Maybe next season my sever will just be a backup server if needed. I have to many things going on right now to keep up.

Gunny

A Shame Rich, remember having soom good racing with you, maybe one day things will slow down for ya so you can join us again... Btw, how did your track day go? Or did that not come up yet?

Take care, and thanks for assisting us where and whenever you can, its not unnoticed...

Jonathan
I like to go fast................

Posted Image

Posted Image

J.Stiener rFRacing License

Current GPL rank:-52.051
Monster rank:-257.981
Challenge Rank:-25.472
Historic Rank: -8.075

#6 maximica

maximica

• Mybroga
  • 421 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 02:08 PM

Well, good fights with Leo, Dom, Adnan and gabriel. 4th place was great thes week. congrats to the podium!

www.mundoremolque.com

Season 29 -Team Ferrari - Div C. - CHAMPION!!
Season 30 -Team BRM -Div B. -3rd Place

#7 Adnan Dizdarevic

Adnan Dizdarevic

• Mybroga
  • 290 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Well as first , it was great to race with you guys again. Great fun evening. If you go with name Adnan and you race in MRC, once you get a qualy lap that is less then one second slower (i think it was) from Samuels super fast laps, you can consider that you just burned a dream lap in Salta on your hard drive. It put a big smile on my face.
Start and most of first lap I was unsure if we are racing or warmig up, but this not was a factor that I spun and rejoined as a last in first lap. Probleam as usual was sitting somwhere between seat and the race wheel...
It was a great fun to catch up and have quite some close racing with several guys. Was playing catch up with Maxi and Dom for quite some laps and it was a great challange. After Dom spun, I was able to get close to Maxi and was wondering if there will be a chance to overtake. We had some very close racing and were doing quite same pace. So same that we found our self on the same spot of the track at the same time :rolleyes: Sorry for driving into you Maxi. I hope car was not damaged after too badly. I do not think that I would want 4th position last night after that anyways, so the finish was o.k.

Great fun and big thanx to Gunny for server and Dom for organising.

I hope I can make it for last 3 races. The tracks comming are all great and MRC is providing warranty for great fun.  :beerchug: I hope more guys shows up.

Adnan

Edited by Adnan Dizdarevic, 17 July 2009 - 06:05 PM.

Posted Image

#8 Gintonika

Gintonika

S6 MRC GPC79 CHAMPANZEE

• Mybroga
  • 313 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 11:17 AM

View Postpai, on Jul 17 2009, 12:28 AM, said:

And a big congratulation to Daniel, after lots of troubles on this season you were really deserving a podium! :3a:

I think I've already have a couple of podiums this season..., but anyway, whatever..
I'm really not the fast guy from S5 anymore..., it's a bit sad, but well, despite that I've enjoyed a lot the fight with you Pai.

After I won S5 champ, I became a creep (raikkonen effect maybe)..., huh, dunno, I'm drunk now...

Happy.....anything.... everyone...

Cya on next venue
Daniel Gomez
VOR Viper SRT-10 #530 (Art Design: Jake W.) THX!!
VOR Dome LMP2  #530
Mybroga '79 - Back in the champ winning #5 Brabham BT49, moahahaha!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#9 pai

pai

Gabriel Legnini

• Mybroga
  • 1,799 posts

Posted 18 July 2009 - 01:07 PM

View PostGintonika, on Jul 18 2009, 02:17 PM, said:

I think I've already have a couple of podiums this season..., but anyway, whatever..
I'm really not the fast guy from S5 anymore..., it's a bit sad, but well, despite that I've enjoyed a lot the fight with you Pai.

After I won S5 champ, I became a creep (raikkonen effect maybe)..., huh, dunno, I'm drunk now...

Happy.....anything.... everyone...

Cya on next venue

:lol2:

You are DA man ;)
Posted Image
Posted Image

Posted Image

This time it blew-up really spectacular! When I realised it was about to go, I gave the accelerator pedal an extra kick and shot the revs up to 12,000…just to make quite sure.

Jochen Rindt - Watkins Glen GP 1967

#10 Samuel

Samuel

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 11:36 PM

Ooops , i'm a bit late again with my race report but here it goes...

When i saw the track layout from the calendar , i thought that this would be very simple track to learn but it turned out tho be quite challenging. Lefts and rights were quickly learnt but the track surface with it's bumps and dips were quite difficult to cope. Started with the Jacarepagua setup but switched to Potrero setup couple of hours before the race , did some small changes but i wasn't really comfortable with the bumps after the back straight and also had some heat issues in rear tires in the long sweepers. Then talked with Gabriel about the setup options and got some ideas from there , after that the car felt quite good and it was about time too because the qualifying was just about to start  :thumbup: .

Didn't have time to test the qualifying tires but with 30 minutes qualifying session it wasn't a big problem anyways , tried some small changes but the race setup felt most comfortable with the sticky tires and got a few reasonable laps in and it was enough for the pole.

Time differences in qualifying weren't big thou and i had already seen the pace of Gabriel on the long runs , so i was quite worried if my race pace would be enough and i had planned to just run my own race and settle for the what ever result it would bring me. Also Adnan and Jonathan were looking strong in the qualifying so there were a lot of fast cars around me.

Start was a bit surprising without a warmup lap but i got away from the line quite well , noticed that there were some confusion behind me and i hesitated a bit to continue but i figured that it's better to continue as long there isn't any messages from the race control to stop. Pulled out a 4 seconds lead in 1st lap while the cars behind me struggled a bit and that helped a lot ,i could take it easy until my tires were well warmed up and then i could gradually pick up some pace. Car felt pretty good and didn't have any problems during the race , after halfway i was confident enough to up the pace and try some fast laps every now and then , usually i don't do that if it's not necessary but had such a big lead by then that i figured that i could recover if something goes wrong.

Things went well from start to finish and it was an interesting track to figure out the many small tricks and different driving lines to improve the lap times , quite a surprising track for such a simple layout and i actually quite enjoyed it :). Sorry to see so many problems behind me , there were some good fast cars and drivers on the grid today but many had quite a bad luck and that worked to my advantage this time.

Well done survivors and congratulations to Gabriel for the nice comeback to the 2nd place after early problems , grats also to Daniel for the 3rd place on the podium  :thumbs: .

Was a bit shame to see that Kimmo and Pablo couldn't join this time but we all have our real life priorities and sometimes they come 1st , hope to see you guys on the next round then  :boxing:   :D .

Thx all for the race and cya in the next one  :bye1:.

-------
Samuel

Sim Racing Links