James
Posted Image

#102 Robert Kozak

Robert Kozak

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 08:35 AM

Hi James,
It appears the league has decided to favor new drivers who are fast and perhaps put more into their racing than some of the older members here.  Let me know where your trailers end up and perhaps I will join you there.

Not trying to be negative or fault the direction of the league, but it's clear that as new drivers who are fast keep entering the league, the slower drivers with less time for racing or less skill will eventually be pushed out.  It has been a privilege to be able to run in this league and if I don't presume to tell the operators how they should run it.
Posted Image

#103 Ryan Mayfield

Ryan Mayfield

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:25 AM

Perhaps we can find some way to optimize the server to accommodate more cars? We all have our reasons for joining VOR, mine was to race with Pawel and enjoy a big field of multi-class cars. If i could help you guys out by racing elsewhere, i would. But "damming" the membership is obviously not the way to grow as a community, so let's focus on being able to facilitate this great "lake" of drivers, and i feel that the server is the most viable option. I am not well informed on the situation of the servers specifically here at VOR, but i'm pretty sure that the field is at 48 due to stability reasons. I have had quite a bit of free time lately, so i would be glad to volunteer my time and resources to help in any way possible.

Edited by Ryan Mayfield, 01 June 2009 - 09:31 AM.

#104 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:39 AM

View PostRobert Kozak, on Jun 1 2009, 10:35 AM, said:

It appears the league has decided to favor new drivers who are fast and perhaps put more into their racing than some of the older members here.

Not really a fair comment to make.

We have capped membership and are not currently allowing new members.  Yes, we have too many now - but it surprised us (all of us).  One week we were fine - in fact only had 42 on the grid... and the next week we had 60 drivers competing for 44 spots.  It's a combination of old members returning (a significant number... in fact, more than new members).

The other factor we're seeing is minimal drop out rate.  Most leagues experience about 25-40% turnover in the course of a season.  Right now, we are averaging about 30%... but that includes new members that join and then don't participate.  If you include only existing members that started the season - we're under 8% (which is surprising and positive).

We've gone out of our way to help everyone be able to participate...  drivers that want to make the Monday race could participate in the LCQ - 6 out of 7 drivers have participated moved on to Monday's race.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#105 Chris

Chris

• GPLVOR
  • 372 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:47 AM

View PostRyan Mayfield, on Jun 1 2009, 10:25 AM, said:

Perhaps we can find some way to optimize the server to accommodate more cars?

The server has been optimized as best it can be within the limitations of the rFactor netcode.
Chris Chappell

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#106 Ryan Mayfield

Ryan Mayfield

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 09:50 AM

Ok, but whats the difference between VOR's Monday night server and ERL's Saturday night server? that one holds at least 60 cars, according to rFactor. Whats the stability like there?

#107 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• VOR Open Wheel Series Admins
  • 361 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 10:29 AM

The stability was pretty bad. Originally it was setup to hold 120, but after 30mins all but 12 cars had not discoed. The admins got the bugs worked out, and had the racers (41) and 5 (live stewards) plus drivers switching out of cars, so at most we had around 55. Even after that though we still had some drops. Otherwise it was a great event and everything worked wonderfully. Including the live stewards.
Posted Image
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

– Bruce McLaren

#108 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:08 AM

View PostRyan Mayfield, on Jun 1 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

Ok, but whats the difference between VOR's Monday night server and ERL's Saturday night server? that one holds at least 60 cars, according to rFactor. Whats the stability like there?

I can set the number to anything I want.  Doesn't mean it will work reliably.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#109 Robert Kozak

Robert Kozak

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 11:26 AM

Sorry Bruce,
Didn't realize that you had capped the membership.  If that's the case then I retract that statement.
Posted Image

#110 Raymond_Rieux

Raymond_Rieux

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 01:42 PM

VOR is one of the best managed online league over the world.

May be that explain the number of skilled drivers over here.

Thanks Mister Fisher Bruce and all the Stewards team for the great job.

I'm really proud to be a member of this league, and know all the time i spend on track is not wasted and will help me to have good quality races and lots of fun.

Special kudo for Jeff Daniel for thoose excellents post race write up.

#111 Jeff Daniels

Jeff Daniels

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 03:58 PM

View PostRaymond_Rieux, on Jun 1 2009, 02:42 PM, said:

Special kudo for Jeff Daniel for thoose excellents post race write up.

Glad you like them.  I certainly enjoy gathering the information and putting the stories together.

Sim Racing Links