• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,136 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 09 February 2019 - 01:44 PM

Great to be back with oAo! I knew it would be a hard task to beat Roy in the Lotus, but at least had to try ofcourse. In pre-race practises Roy had the edge, and it reflected back in quali. It is quite hard to get a clean lap together here, also because of the tire stress and losing the balance at times. Roy did a great time, unreachable for me in the Brab. Front row was still good in the Brab and after a solid start held my position with Yannick behind. Roy had a wobble out of the first turn but I chose to lift rather than to force the issue at a difficult place on Lap 1.

Early race I was arguably slightly faster than Roy, but on the straight Roy always had the advantage ofcourse. Stayed close but when the fuel burnt off Roy went faster and it was harder to stay with him. Also the balance wasn't ideal with overheating tires at times, overdrove/pushed too much arguably. After halfway we lapped Ed, Enrique and John, but then simply braked too late and went off at T1, spun in the grass, but didn't hit anything. Lost 8s but no damage. John sadly followed me, but hit a tree and had to retire. Tough luck.

After that the gap stayed around 8-9s, with Roy having the edge. Lapped cars were great, sometimes you have a misunderstanding or you catch a car in the wrong spot, but it's a hard track anyhow. Thanks guys. Michiel went in the barriers being distracted by me coming up I believe.

Grats to Roy and Lucky Racers, for their win, well deserved! Also great recovery drive by Iestyn to P3. Superb solid job by Frank in P4, also under the circumstances. Great teamresult. :)

Well done finishers, commiserations to the DNF's. Some late heartbreaks for Enrique, and Yannick losing a podium due to a mechanical failure. Also missed a few teamdrivers like Greg, Bob Simpson and Carlos. And get well soon Burt!

Thanks to Bruce for all the work!

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 09 February 2019 - 02:54 PM.

#2 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 261 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:03 PM

I prepared for this race with a Ferrari. Setup was a bit of an issue for me as I could find the perfect balance with the Ferrari.
The main issue was the power diff. Using 85/../1 the car felt too understeer-ish and didn't improve much when added rear rebound.
Going 60/../1 wasn't good either because to me it just was too easy to get it in a spin.
So, for once, I booted up GPLSM and set the power diff to 70/45/1. And on track, it just about felt like the right comprimise.
Maybe I should look into it more often.

For qualifying I aimed for driving two hot sessions and one session on race fuel.
On the first run I got a lap time I felt so confident about I decided to spent the rest of the session on race fuel.
By the end of the session, my qualifying position has remained where it was. Third position.

Start was not that great, had a tad too much wheel spin but maintained position.
I focused the entire race on maintaining that place as I knew the two in front of me would just drive away.

One time I got the hairpin wrong so I got a bit of a nervous moment, but after that I could disconnect myself from the rest
and drive in a comfortable position for pretty much the entire race.

Lap 44 I went a tad too wide on the exit of turn 1, but remained out of trouble.
About 10 laps to the end I suddenly noticed Iestyn made its way up to 4th, gradually closing the gap of about 6 seconds.
At this point I felt I had to push a little bit more to keep me safe, and with three laps to go, I pretty much got myself covered, until going into Curvón de Solis the valve of my Ferrari ceased.

This opening race would have been perfect, apart from a small flaws.
The pace was there, the qualifying went above expectations, and I was going to complete an all-Dutch podium.

I'm very dismayed, but I think I can be happy about my driving.
Here's hoping that the season won't end up as another fiasco like 0DRT was.

On to the next track... is that the same track??
Oh it just looks the similar. On paper at least. :huh:

Edited by GrandPrixYannick, 09 February 2019 - 02:07 PM.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

I'm mad at myself for taking a way to aggressive stance on the first lap, taking myself out of the race before it even got underway.

Qualy felt fast for until I looked at the others times.

Start went well but by T1 I was boxed in and couldn't take any advantage. Once Brabham in front lost it under breaking which gained me a spot, but that was it. Going single file after T2 I was surprised by the field backing up into T3, which was always flat(ish) for me. That got me a run on John but I had to go round the outside of T4 if I wanted the spot. So outside I went, but I figured he gets a car width not an metric inch more. Why would I expect a car on cold tyres and full tanks to slip wide? Not that that ever happened in my 10+ years of racing. You can imagine my surprise when I found myself facing the wrong way with one less wheel on my Cooper.

...and that was my race. Quite mad at myself in retrospect. Apologies to John for the contact. I need to go and forget about this now. Cya in two weeks in Uruguay.
I just wanna race

#4 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,082 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:15 PM

Well, I certainly messed that one up. :(

Didn't try too hard during qualifying and was (I think) 12th on the grid but only finding another 0.037s would have jumped me 3 places closer to the front. Start went well and made my way up to 11th whe Ed clipped the grass entering T1. This became 10th when Enrique ran wide while under pressure from Dag several laps in. From then on I slowly lost touch with Dag and maintained my advantage over Enrique and Ed behind. Michiel then had an issue and I chased him for a few laps until he also began to regain his advantage.

Then disaster. After driving well within my capabilities for 35 laps treating the race effectively as a coin hunt I made a stupid mistake. Roy and Rob lapped me at the end of lap 24 and then Rob ran wide at T1. I was distracted for a fraction of a second and missed my braking point and followed Rob off track. He was lucky and missed everything, I found a tree.. :(

Really annoyed with myself I wasn't even taking any chances.

I never felt a thing during the contact with Michi on lap1 and wasn't even aware of anything until he mentioned it in post race chat. Really sorry it ended your race Michi. :( GPL netcode I guess.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,680 posts

Posted 09 February 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postsnafu, on 09 February 2019 - 05:15 PM, said:

I never felt a thing during the contact with Michi on lap1 and wasn't even aware of anything until he mentioned it in post race chat. Really sorry it ended your race Michi. :( GPL netcode I guess.

No worries John, that DNF was fully to blame on me and no one else. As I said in the chat, I've been on the good side of the netcode a bunch of times too.
I just wanna race

Sim Racing Links