S22 R13 Mosport

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 523 posts

Posted 05 October 2019 - 09:12 AM

Sorry guys i hade a shifting problem, couldn't shift down anymore.
Unfortunately i hade to stop the car :(

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,504 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 October 2019 - 10:22 AM

Rotten luck Roy!

Was shaping up for a good fight at the front Later more.

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,504 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 October 2019 - 01:12 PM

Quali was exciting, did set a slight Ferrari PB, good enough for Pole. Both Roy and Iestyn were within 2 tenths though. Very close.

Start was good considering having a tall 1st gear. Roy had his nose in front on the outside in 1, but I held the inside and had more speed out of the corner taking the lead. Could make a little gap so I didn't have to worry on the backstraight. Sadly Roy had his problem on Lap 2, and Iestyn was already almost 3s behind. But he had a slightly better pace after that, until he went off.

The gap grew gradually, mostly by mistakes  by Ies, his racepace was very good. Then late in the race suddenly facing a BRM between 5A and Moss. Saw him too late, and occasionally went wide there as well. Like on that lap. Did hit Andrew, and spun around. Did recover but felt car was a bit off, so made sure to bring the car to the finish, the last 5 laps.

Well done Iestyn and Frank for podium! Also well done finishers, thanks to the lapped cars for the room and awareness. Commiserations to the retirements...

Thanks Bruce for organizing! :)

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 05 October 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#4 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 06 October 2019 - 02:19 AM

Grats Robert , Iestyn and Frank. Well done. Commiserations to retirees and other unfortunates.

P6 in the honda is well beyond expectations at a track like this. I was slow as hell and mostly fortunate to get 6th. First I had to soak up a lot of pressure from Enrique but I finally made a small mistake over the crest in the last sector and he was passed and drove off into the distance. Only to be relieved by John who was all over me. He got passed eventually but went off the next lap and I snuck passed again. Then John disappeared for unknown reasons and I could breathe a little and focus on bringing the car home. Busy race , one hour just flew by but thats how I prefer my races so thanks all for participating and racing. Good stuff.

Edited by D_J, 09 October 2019 - 04:53 AM.

#5 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 06 October 2019 - 05:07 AM

Well, my race was a series of highs and lows. Put in a time in Q close to my PB and then sat out the last 15 minutes or so which saw me drop down the order from 4th to 7th which was about where I expected to be with a long list of eager Honda's, Cooper's BRM's etc behind.

During the final practice before the race I found a set up tweak which seemed to give me a lot more feeling through turn 2A/B and T4 so Copied it across to my race set up. (Some may already be ahead of me here but it was a decision which came back to haunt me later in the race).

I had quite a tall 1st gear and was really slow off the line which saved me having to decide where to let my teamie through. I think it also caused Tris to get off the gas behind as well. So down to 8th before we even reached T1. Passed the unfortunate Roy at 5A on Lap 2 and then came across Andre who had spun at the end of the lap, Carlos got through, I put 2 wheels on the grass (Which then became 4) managed to keep it pointing in the right direction but Tris was through.

The next 7 laps or so were spent making myself as big as possible in Tris's mirrors trying desperately to force an error. Then on Lap 10 Carlos blew his engine and spun at T4/5A. Tris managed to stop, I didn't. :( and nudged Tris into the barrier. He settled on the track directly in front of me and I sat waiting for him to recover, praying those behind had found time to react and not run into me. Was passed by Dag, Claudio, Enrigue and Marcos by the time I was able to continue. Claudio let me straight back past (Thanks, I didn't expect you too, you were there in merit). Passed Marcos a lap later and set about harassing Dag in the Honda. Car felt really good at this point we had a few close laps until I was able to get a good run out of Moss and pass him before T8 on lap 14. Only to run wide at T4 on the following lap. Somehow I managed to thread the Ferrari between the barrier and the trees but Dag was back ahead, so set about catching him all over again. Then on Lap 18 my set up change reared it's ugly head.. I forgot to change my fuel to race levels and found I only had 2g left. I guess the only good thing to come out of it was I would at least reach half distance. Realising my challenge to Dag was over and Andre was recovering fast behind, I let him through and proceeded to pit on lap 20/21. Even cocked that up in my haste and managed to refuel twice so lost even more time. During this Rob and Iestyn lapped me and Marcos and Doni were also through. Was lapped by Frank and then Ed while I tried to make ground on Marcos and Doni who according to Prib seemed to be having a really close battle. Caught Marcos on Lap 27 and he let me through very easily, and Doni did likewise on Lap 28. I guess they were having too much fun to want me interfering.

The remainder of the race was spent trying valiantly to chase down Dag's Honda but he we about a mile up the road. I did manage to get it down to about 500yds at one point but I think he was managing the gap based on laps left.

Congrats to the Podium, Commiserations to the retirements, especially to Roy who must have broken a mirror recently with all the bad luck he's having. :(

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#6 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 10:09 AM

So... Tristan Bot had this to say about the race:

well . . . lap  10 , I was  fighting whith  the Eagle  of   J.Hammonds  ,  I was ahead  him  ,  we was following  Carlos  Cendejas  who blowup his engine  . . . go off track . . . and came back on track  . . . I see all the action and  slow down  . . . but  I have been hurt  hardly  in the back  by  J. Hammonds  ....  I was happy to landing on my 4 wheels  ... but  the car was to damaged to continuè  !!!  ... we have to claim if we want have coins compensation  ! ! ! .... we need coins to go positive  and stop the handicap of  qualifs and coins !!

To be certain i used the replay and compiled a video of the incident from both his and John Hammond's view:

https://www.dropbox....titled.mp4?dl=0

I'm currently waiting for an answer if he wants me to file a formal comlaint...

Edited by MK3424, 07 October 2019 - 10:59 AM.

Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,282 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 October 2019 - 11:15 AM

Well, From my perspective it was an unfortunate racing incident.

I'm obviously really sorry about the outcome but I feel I did everything in my power to stop before hitting Tris. I was simply caught out by how much he slowed, I could see that Carlos's Eagle was coming to a standstill before blocking the track, so was also slowing (Speed down by around 27% at what is already the slowest part of the lap).But I was not expecting Tris to brake as hard as he did considering the track was not blocked and once I realised how much he had slowed it was too late to avoid him..

There was only 7mph speed difference at the point of contact, but with GPL's archaic collision modelling the aerobatics which followed was completely out of context with the incident.

It was a shame as we were having some close and clean racing over the previous 8 laps or so. :(

But in my opinion this was more a result of a fluid situation with only a fraction of a second to make a decision. I got it wrong this time and I'm sorry for that but I don't accept any suggestion that I was to blame for the result.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 226 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 07 October 2019 - 01:44 PM

Yeah... i looked more at it from the perspective of 'the racer': you're ofcused on the driver ahead and it sometimes can blind you from what's happening around... hence why i posted it hear.. to give the other side a chance to hear their side of the story...
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

#9 Carlos Cendejas

Carlos Cendejas

• Members
  • 138 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 01:46 AM

I guess i was too eager to gain on Ed that i stop paying attention to releasing gas pedal when changing gear.
Never happy with myself when im not able to finish a race, blew the engine and specially putting other's race at risk.
Sorry to Tris and John and any others involved. My apologies.
I went off track when engine blew up, but i was coming to fast and lost control trying to keep it on the grass. :(

Edited by Carlos Cendejas, 09 October 2019 - 02:42 AM.

Sim Racing Links