• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 12:46 PM

well, lets not get too far ahead of ourselves ~
the champagne is still flowing in D2 and All-Ways Racing garages... but so you know, there's much to do!

first, believe it or not, the idea of a 'break' is not altogether unpleasant ;)
however, that said, the server is running 24/7 and is hosting the original tracks at 60Fps!! <<< note 60 for the originals!!

great season.. i'm really impressed by the improvements everyone has made and the tightness of both divisions and Team Championships. could it have been closer?(well yes... D1 Robert did get a bad draw of the short straw)  but overall i'd have to say "BRAVO" to all ~

TROPHIES/medallions etc - i need mailing addresses (if i don't already have yours) ... not your email addy's (silly)  yes.. i DO mail hardware to the top 3 in both Divisions. but i don't want to make several trips to the post office, so until i hear from everyone (top 3 both D)  you'll just have to wait ~

next season...
A) we need to know your intentions of returning
B) if you intend to return, WHO is stepping up to be a Team Leader
C) the schedule is dependent on the TSG.. when we know what tracks, i'll post the schedule
NOTE: original tracks will run 60fps and any ANY add-on will run 36fps ... please make a  note of it!

as the dust settles (in my head)... i'll probably add to this post - so pay attention!

congrats again to Col BENTLEY and ALEX der Gaertner  Individual Champions and ALL-WAYS RACING for the TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#2 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:29 PM

I'd like to propose a limit on how many times a single D1 driver can race in D2 over a season. 2 or 3 times sounds reasonable to me.
I just wanna race

#3 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 725 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 12 November 2016 - 04:59 PM

I'd like to say thank you to all drivers this season - my first in oAo.  I started very badly, but I believe I didn't hold anyone up during subsequent races.  Thank you to Bo for running the league - it's brilliant - and I hope to be a part of it next season.  Thank you especially to Doni, who took me under his wing in Lucky Racers, and provided lots of support.

#4 Mick Chapman

Mick Chapman

• Members
  • 883 posts

Posted 12 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

View PostMichkov, on 12 November 2016 - 04:29 PM, said:

I'd like to propose a limit on how many times a single D1 driver can race in D2 over a season. 2 or 3 times sounds reasonable to me.

Why?

#5 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:09 AM

Mick, since you've never finished 15th overall in anything, let me explain this to you. I show up for qualifying and there are a dozen other drivers out there. With luck I can beat maybe two of them and finish 11th. As a G1 driver that will give my team four big points. Now I agree that if the other guys on my team can stay on the track even occasionally, they all should be taking home more points than that. But you never know. So I shove my car around the track as hard as I can and with five minutes still to go in qualifying I'm 11th on the grid and only ten seconds behind Burt and Alex. I don't care. I qualified 11th and I'm going to finish 11th. Those four points are mine.

But wait! With four minutes to go who shows up but Yourth and Miele and Kovacs and you. Say what?! Bye bye, 11th place. Hello, 15th! And you know how many points 15th place is worth? That's right, a tiny little number, so tiny that you can't even see it. And Mick, that is a very very very very very very dispiriting thing to be doing to a poor bastard who's already not very good at this game. :)

#6 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 13 November 2016 - 08:20 AM

Nice that the server stays on. I could use it for some Rank attacking time-to-time. I still got two cars that need to be negative ;)
Though it perhaps it would be nice to set it to Intermediate in stead of Pro.

Maybe we can have some Fun Races with them?
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#7 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:55 AM

good shared view Pepe...  there is thought being done in that direction. much has to do with the number of returning drivers..and then how the divisions will stack up. right now,i'm leaning toward NO D1's racing down. i'm not sure what good it does other than dispirit those of us racing each other regularly :(

Yannick... if anyone wants to sent up a fun race, just ask me (email preferred)  as for "pro"... i've got it set that way to 'encourage' people to learn how to stay on track, rather than the easier 'sh-r' no bother approach ;)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#8 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 12:01 PM

Racing up.  Racing down.  If there's a revision to participation, it should cut both ways as in 'No racing down = No racing up'.  Burt...rated at g3...ran 11 D1 races in S19 and was directly responsible for destroying two cars from the Lucky stable one of which was sent to the skip for the duration.

Pepe...  I see your point.  Is that why you balked me leading to a shunt for me on my Q  lap yesterday by staying on the line during your outlap?  You do hold grudges, don't you?

#9 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 01:07 PM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 13 November 2016 - 12:01 PM, said:

Pepe...  I see your point.  Is that why you balked me leading to a shunt for me on my Q  lap yesterday by staying on the line during your outlap?  You do hold grudges, don't you?

First, I don't know what "you balked me" means, but I take it you're referring to your tapping me on my first lap in qualifying. See attached clip.

Second, I wasn't paying any attention to you because 1) I doubt I even knew that you were behind me and 2) Ronnie in front of me was persistently appearing and disappearing from my view every few hundred yards. I didn't know if that problem was on my end or his --- we know that now, don't we? --- but he was a lot more of a concern to me than anything else that might have been happening on the track just then.

Third, grudge? I don't have a clue what you're talking about.

Fourth, the insinuation that I punched your car off the track because of some imaginary slight you think I've been carrying around I will treat with the laugh that it deserves.

Attached Files

#10 col bentley

col bentley

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 04:53 PM

I don't see anything to gain by racing down , I think Pepe has described the feeling pretty well ( yes it happened to me too when having Hristo, Ravi etc race down years ago).

Racing up I can agree with if a person is is likely to be in contention for promotion into D1 and should be restricted to g3 only, as, they really need to gain experience in the shark pool. I say let the D2 guys enjoy their race without D1 drivers spoiling the party.

#11 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:08 PM

View PostPepe Higdon, on 13 November 2016 - 08:09 AM, said:

Mick, since you've never finished 15th overall in anything, let me explain this to you. I show up for qualifying and there are a dozen other drivers out there. With luck I can beat maybe two of them and finish 11th. As a G1 driver that will give my team four big points. Now I agree that if the other guys on my team can stay on the track even occasionally, they all should be taking home more points than that. But you never know. So I shove my car around the track as hard as I can and with five minutes still to go in qualifying I'm 11th on the grid and only ten seconds behind Burt and Alex. I don't care. I qualified 11th and I'm going to finish 11th. Those four points are mine.

But wait! With four minutes to go who shows up but Yourth and Miele and Kovacs and you. Say what?! Bye bye, 11th place. Hello, 15th! And you know how many points 15th place is worth? That's right, a tiny little number, so tiny that you can't even see it. And Mick, that is a very very very very very very dispiriting thing to be doing to a poor bastard who's already not very good at this game. :)

This exactly. I feel bad for the D2s with us D1s showing up and interfering with their races. I get the point of having fuller grids but I feel that it got out of hand this season. D1s running as replacement once or twice for their teammates is OK but constantly racing down shouldn't really happen.

If we'd want keep the rubber banding mechanic allowing for the only the 2 or 3 lowest ranked team to field a G4. Number depending on how many teams are in a season.
I just wanna race

#12 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:10 PM

View Postcol bentley, on 13 November 2016 - 04:53 PM, said:

I don't see anything to gain by racing down ...

We've won a team championship that way, so there is something gained by doing it.
I just wanna race

#13 col bentley

col bentley

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:16 PM

I meant from a personal level

#14 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,868 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:28 PM

thinking now is the a '3d' team car will only be allowed to last place team, and if there is still a spot open, that the next to last place team will also be allowed to enter a 3d car, but only if the point gap to 3d from last is ... 'xx' points (to be determined) but something more than 10... in other words, only if the gap is large. if its less than 10, then no 3d car.

D1 is the level everyone should strive for. even if (for me) out of reach. its the division i keep records for, not D2.  D1 has no real reason to race d2 except to dominate and D2 racing in d1 shall only be a g3 (or better) and ONLY for a missing teammate (unless that team is in last place)
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#15 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,320 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:39 PM

View PostMichkov, on 13 November 2016 - 05:10 PM, said:

We've won a team championship that way, so there is something gained by doing it.

With all due respect, you raced down late season to make sure we kept our advantage, but without it we would have won it as well, Michi. It was done because we felt Apache RT had an unfair advantage with 1/3 more race entries than other teams using this loophole, thus giving them more chances to score more teampts.

But I'm no fan of racing down, and that we had to use the same loophole to defend our honest earned teampts (2 team entries per race)...we did what we had to do to, and in the end we still had a big margin, but could have done without it, in hindsight...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 13 November 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#16 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:44 PM

Not sure I remember both encounters with Lucky Racer cars but I do have the replay from Assen.  Seems to me my responsibility for that one was not making my car disappear when a Lucky Racer driver lost sight of me and headed for the apex and the spot i was occupying.

#17 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,285 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 06:35 AM

Come now, Burt.  By any measure, your rejoin of the track at Assen would have to be considered unwise.  I was being charitable in not lodging a protest.  As for the other incident, you've already forgotten St. Jovite?

Pepe...  I suspect that your nose has been out of joint re me ever since Daytona when I decried your efforts to overtake on the apron.  As for Barber, you were on your outlap and should have given way to a fast approaching car.  It's not hard to do.

#18 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,093 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 14 November 2016 - 07:14 AM

"D1 is the level everyone should strive for. even if (for me) out of reach. its the division i keep records for, not D2"

OMG,  so all my years in D2 and D4.  No one will ever know.  Well good !    I'll be happy to make it to G3 someday.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#19 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:15 AM

I remember it now.  Believe I apologized for St. Jovite at the time.

However I was clearly the victim at Assen.  My re-entry of the track was strictly by the book and not a factor in the incident.  My off was barely four wheels in the grass I never lost control or went sideways, I just lost some speed but was still going around 100mph when I regained he pavement parallel to the direction of travel.  Perhaps someone can explain a better rejoin technique I could have used.

I left all the room in the world for your teammates 's car, lifting and hugging the guardrail into the final turn to leave plenty of room on the outside to pass.

I am pretty sure what happened is your teammate who thought my off was more serious than it was, lost sight of me and thought that I was way behind him when in fact I was still even with him and going somewhat slower so he turned in to the apex.   The reason I told my team not to protest is that I thought this was a  very understandable mistake on his part that I considered just a racing incident that happend to take us both out.

Edited by BurtAugust, 14 November 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#20 PeterA

PeterA

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 14 November 2016 - 08:56 AM

Doni, coming off a little paranoid in regards to "Pepe" there, has the "Trump'iness" started to spread across the northern border? ;-P

Doing the review-video of Assen I can tell you guys I got a good "altered" view on the incident with Burt and David and though my first instinct also told me Burt was in the wrong, David actually only just made it alongside/barely ahead in the braking zone before they collided on turn-in, so I don't think either of you should've gotten anything out of a protest, that was about as racing-incident'y as anything can get..

Now, this was my first complete season at oAo, so I don't know the tradition, but I'm guessing it's completely normal for people to use the post-season-thread to start bitching eachother about every other little event and distant possible grudges held for several weeks between races to finally get the revenge when people meet up to race again??
If it is, I'm all for it, great fun, lets have at it.. I guess some purging is good - though sadly I don't really have anything to contribute.. I guess I was lucky not to be involved in matters that wasn't cleared up either through the forum or email afterwards, but maybe that should result in some gratitude from me towards the people I raced in company with, you guys know who you are, so thank you :-)

Sim Racing Links