Aintreer

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#21 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 12:26 AM

Qualified with a Pb, so couldn't complain about that.
Bob had an amazing start again and took second place before turn one. I believe it was lap 7 where he touched the grass with his right rear, allowing me to grasp second. I felt so sorry for him that I returned the favor about 10 laps later, I believe I called myself a f...ing idiot when I did. I was able to stay really close to him until 7 laps before the end when I lost it at the end of the back straight. Luckily the car kept on driving, although in the report it shows medium damage. And I was so proud to win some coins for the team, we really need them.
From there on just drove it to the finish line. Really enjoyed this race, the close racing with Bob was super. I did have a few close encounters while overtaking some lapped cars, hope I didn't scare anyone. John Snafu was no match for the rest of us again, very solid performance.
Happy with the second podium in a row. Now on to Monza for 68 (!) laps. How are we going to survive?
See you guys in 2 weeks. Congrats to John and Bob, both well deserved spots.

Edited by Tames, 26 August 2018 - 12:27 AM.

#22 Baldassarri

Baldassarri

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • Interests:Gpl, slot_racing, books, windsurf

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:06 AM

Hi Adrew,

Sorry for the contact. I saw you in the mirror in a short "eye shot" since you know that point requires hard control and max concentration. Simply I did not expect you attempted overtaking there.  In this short time  I guessed  the distance  sufficient to follow  my trajectory.  Please accept my apologies

ciao
Roberto

Edited by Baldassarri, 26 August 2018 - 07:09 AM.

#23 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 629 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 07:11 AM

View PostMK3424, on 25 August 2018 - 09:44 AM, said:

Untill somebody disconnects when i'm in the middle of a corner.. causing the game to drop in framerate and i lose control... straight into a tree and upside down...

I'd guess you're using a Nvidia GTX video card and oglv2? I bought a GTX 1050ti a little over a year ago. It can handle anything GPL can throw at it except the join/disco messages.

At 36fps, you may be able to use the d3dv2 raster, but it will suck at 60 fps. You could try complaining to Nvidia. I've thought about it but haven't done it. They could probably fix it in their gpu drivers but they're unlikely to since this probably effects so few people.

The first time I tried the GTX 1050ti online was at Watkins Glen - 60fps. Once in qualifying, as I approached the Loop, I got a huge stutter. I couldn't see the Loop yet but by the time the normal frame rate returned I was at the middle of the Loop. I was so rattled by all the stutters, that by the time the race started I couldn't concentrate well.

I thought the GTX 1050ti was going to be great for GPL. Offline, it would give me a steady 60fps starting at the back of a full field of AI GTs at Spa67. And it only uses 37 watts while running GPL 60fps versus 35 watts while idle on the desktop. It's a shame I haven't been able to use it online and that I've had to revert back to a Radeon HD7850 for online use.
Greg Taber

#24 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 08:08 AM

Interesting point Greg, I use a GTX 1070 and nVidia excusively since 2006 and it was the second time I got discoed from an online game and do not remember which track it was, a long time ago, unless I use wireless connection that fluctuate a lot in my house;  I do have some stutter when someone connect or disconnect from the server though, do you have the same issue with Radeon ?

Alain

Edited by Aljones, 26 August 2018 - 08:10 AM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#25 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,256 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 26 August 2018 - 10:24 AM

I had practiced long and hard for this one, A very weird track to run in reverse. I still find Tatts and Bechers with their tightening radius very difficult to navigate well, a bit like T1 @ Mexico. I've never quite got that one straight in my head either.

Qualifying went well, I had seen quite a few on in the weeks leading up to the race so knew I had every chance of qualifying near the from and I was really glad to grab pole close to my PB but way faster than I was comfortable with for race distance. I was also relieved to find Tames had grabbed the second spot as I knew what a demon starter Bob S was and I expected to need every inch of the extra gap back to the 3rd grid slot to make T1 still in the lead. As it was he almost jumped both of us and got very close to getting alongside. The 1st 6 laps or so were spent with both Bob and Tames in close pursuit, gaining in a few areas but I seemed to have a much better line through Waterway onto the main straight and was able to carry the extra speed down to T1. The net result seemed to be worth about 30yds in my favour over a lap. Then around L7 Tames replaced Bob when Bob spun. and a few laps later Bob reappeared in 2nd when Tame suffered a similar fate. Having watched the D1 race it was obvious how unforgiving this track is and I knew that just keeping it on the tarmac was the number 1 priority. Lapping drivers was a challenge, Not due to anyone making it difficult but just due to the nature of the track. I definitely didn't plan on passing Bob H round the outside through Bechers, that and nearly running into the back of Teamie Don were just 2 out of many "Pass the brown corduroys" moments.

Congrats to Bob S and Tames for the other podium spots and also to Bob S for fastest lap. For my part I couldn't live with either Bob or Tames for pure race speed and they both eclipsed my fastest race lap by quite a margin, but Fortunately sticking to my pre race plan to just keep it on the black stuff and pointing in the right direction was enough today.

Thanks to all who were lapped and commiserations to the none finishers and discos. :(

See you all at the "Cathedral of Speed"

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#26 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 97 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 26 August 2018 - 11:51 AM

Didn’t disco. I hit the wall and was able to return to pit. Didn’t remember I could shift R during race. By the time I was reading the rules in pit , I got kicked off the race and could not return.
Guess I will remember for the next race...

See you next time . Was FUN anyway. Nice fight with Bo.

Dan

#27 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:18 PM

View Postsnafu, on 25 August 2018 - 05:13 PM, said:

Hi Kayo,
Do you have "In car Chat" unchecked in GPL? You will still see join and disconnect messages but (At least on my system). They don't seem to have quite as bad an effect as having the chat box checked.

TTFN
John..

I have unchecked it, but the player connecting and disconnecting will pop up.
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#28 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 04:20 PM

View PostJMF, on 26 August 2018 - 07:11 AM, said:

I'd guess you're using a Nvidia GTX video card and oglv2? I bought a GTX 1050ti a little over a year ago. It can handle anything GPL can throw at it except the join/disco messages.

At 36fps, you may be able to use the d3dv2 raster, but it will suck at 60 fps. You could try complaining to Nvidia. I've thought about it but haven't done it. They could probably fix it in their gpu drivers but they're unlikely to since this probably effects so few people.

The first time I tried the GTX 1050ti online was at Watkins Glen - 60fps. Once in qualifying, as I approached the Loop, I got a huge stutter. I couldn't see the Loop yet but by the time the normal frame rate returned I was at the middle of the Loop. I was so rattled by all the stutters, that by the time the race started I couldn't concentrate well.

I thought the GTX 1050ti was going to be great for GPL. Offline, it would give me a steady 60fps starting at the back of a full field of AI GTs at Spa67. And it only uses 37 watts while running GPL 60fps versus 35 watts while idle on the desktop. It's a shame I haven't been able to use it online and that I've had to revert back to a Radeon HD7850 for online use.

Yeah... i have a GTX 1070 OC it has no issues with rendering the game. Even 60 fps is no issue.. but the connecting and disconnecting somehow messes with the framerate.

#29 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 26 August 2018 - 05:52 PM

I doubt this is a video card issue.

#30 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 10:22 AM

After a long time I was competing in GPL again. A long time for the mid-season break that the league takes, and I didn't participate in Brno because I was travelling. Our team desperately needed to finish the race with the car without even a scratch, and in the best possible position. So I set out to: a) respect the braking points blindly; B) not fight with anyone for position; and c) reach the finish line at any cost.
I fulfilled all three points and in the end I found myself with a 4th place, which I celebrated as if it was a triumph. Congratulations to the guys on the podium, and to all those who finished. We'll all meet at Monza at the Darren McLachlan Memorial Grand Prix.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#31 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 01:26 PM

I get the stutter effect too. As I understand it, OpenGL has trouble with rendering text and I'd guess that in GPL it's magnified for some reason. The shorter the in-car message, the less the stutter is,

I also changed the size of the font with some improvement, although now the text is hard to read. See http://srmz.net/inde...210#entry131085
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#32 BurtAugust

BurtAugust

• ADC
  • 2,215 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 06:36 PM

So Bob how did you adjust your font and to what size?

#33 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,689 posts

Posted 27 August 2018 - 07:33 PM

It's in that thread. I used GPL digital display modifier at http://gplpp.com/ > Lee and Stefan
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#34 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 204 posts

Posted 29 August 2018 - 01:01 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 27 August 2018 - 01:26 PM, said:

I get the stutter effect too. As I understand it, OpenGL has trouble with rendering text and I'd guess that in GPL it's magnified for some reason. The shorter the in-car message, the less the stutter is,

I also changed the size of the font with some improvement, although now the text is hard to read. See http://srmz.net/inde...210#entry131085

Thanks for the advice!

The reason it is magnified in GPL is because GPL fps is locked at 36 fps.

And even a few fps drop has a big impact!

Edited by MK3424, 29 August 2018 - 01:02 PM.

Sim Racing Links