!"£$%^ Montjiuch

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,227 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:14 AM

Ok, Nothing much to say, not sure how many laps in, leading comfortably and screen freeze. :weeping: :blowup:

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#2 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:16 AM

I can not understand, as in that place in this circuit with only 4 or 5 laps runs someone makes that maneuver. That ruined my Saturday, my race and what worse  thing is that I'll have to explain to a angry team cheef because I brought an expensive destroyed Ferrari
To another thing, fast

Edited by Claudio Pablo Navonne, 28 April 2018 - 09:18 AM.

Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#3 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

PISSED OFF!!!

Tried to stay away from others into turn 1.... gets hit from the back and flipped upside down.... and race was over before it even started :blowup:

All that despite the warnings about turn 1 incidents...

Edited by MK3424, 28 April 2018 - 09:20 AM.

Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#4 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:41 AM

View PostMK3424, on 28 April 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

PISSED OFF!!!

Tried to stay away from others into turn 1.... gets hit from the back and flipped upside down.... and race was over before it even started :blowup:

Yeah, that was me sadly: I got sandwiched in between the guard rail and a Honda, couldn't do anything but slam the brakes and hope for the best. Got rammed too in that mess and from then on an oddly-behaving car became a fucking nightmare. Lost positions on positions after having gained them by (maybe) jumping the start (The flag was dropped but nobody moved... what gives?) and then, on lap 2, the differential really wants to go home, slams me into the barrier ad the rear left tire goes off on a vacation in Spain.

What a fucking shitshow.

Edited by Gabriele Maruca, 28 April 2018 - 09:41 AM.

"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#5 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 09:54 AM

View PostGabriele Maruca, on 28 April 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

Yeah, that was me sadly: I got sandwiched in between the guard rail and a Honda, couldn't do anything but slam the brakes and hope for the best. Got rammed too in that mess and from then on an oddly-behaving car became a fucking nightmare. Lost positions on positions after having gained them by (maybe) jumping the start (The flag was dropped but nobody moved... what gives?) and then, on lap 2, the differential really wants to go home, slams me into the barrier ad the rear left tire goes off on a vacation in Spain.

What a fucking shitshow.

Sorry if my post was a bit over the top... but i had a bad week and i was not in the best mood to post it... i dunno how the race went...

#6 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:13 AM

View PostMK3424, on 28 April 2018 - 09:54 AM, said:

Sorry if my post was a bit over the top... but i had a bad week and i was not in the best mood to post it... i dunno how the race went...

No worries mate, the race has been a clusterfuck for everybody. Luckily the next ones are Zeltweg, Siverstone and Spa... some "normal" tracks.
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#7 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:18 AM

View PostGabriele Maruca, on 28 April 2018 - 10:13 AM, said:

No worries mate, the race has been a clusterfuck for everybody. Luckily the next ones are Zeltweg, Siverstone and Spa... some "normal" tracks.

Sadly... i was looking forward to this race... i like this track very much... but because of a mess up during qualy in Schottenring... i wasn't allowed to qualify...

#8 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:25 AM

I made it to the finish line! That was my goal after it didn't work out for me the last 3 races. Qualified 4th after Claudio beat me at the flag by 0.03 seconds. Guess he had a bad start or didn't want to take risk, without any trouble I slid into third at turn 1. Hit the guardrail slightly in turn 3, and was worried Claudio would pass me, but then he disappeared and a few laps later John disappeared. Then all of a sudden found myself in 1st position, and was chased by a number of guys. I remember Andrew bringing the heat on, but it was Mick who really put on the pressure. Since it is a hard track to pass, I figured just to stay on the line and avoid any big mistakes, knowing Mick would be behind me all the way. That worked out great until the engine started to smoke and I lost almost all power. Made it to the pits and Shift-r-ed. Got hit by someone in turn one and after that ended up in 4th. Too bad the engine didn't last 3 more laps, but hey, that's racing.
Congrats to the podium, very well done. Thanks to all the lapped cars, super job in letting me get by.

Just looked at the replay and saw that I hit Pepe when I turned into turn one. I'm so sorry Pepe, never saw you coming.

Edited by Tames, 28 April 2018 - 10:44 AM.

#9 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,722 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:35 AM

8th, amazingly, after t-boning tafx67 when he spun back in the big curves.  Sorry, but there was nothing I could do at that speed.  That Brabham is damned tough!

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:43 AM

my goal was to Qual in top 4.. on my last lap 'p4'... exited to take a breath, and come back to see 'p5' :P    ahh well ~

race starts, green flag looked ok to me, but yes, the getaway was cautious - i'm ok with that, but i lost 2 places in being so ... ah well ~
we're going good, BobS got by me on start and Andrew too.. i'm not worried, i want to not get disco'd or anyone to else to be.. but  ah well :(  poor John! had the field covered!

then on lap 'x'  (i've no idea, but it was w/in first 10 i think) into T1 is Mick broadside!  YIKES :o  i stop short of contact ( i think )  and await getting hit from behind.. but no! its Alain going around and i am now p8... ah well ~

so i'm chasing Alain's honda and truly TRULY feel i'm quicker (believe me a RARE feeling) .. and having out qualified ASC as we approached T1, he (again as when he avoided me) went wide (no doubt now i realize Alain's normal line)  :P  but i thought "ahh, he's giving me the spot back - that he saw i lost it through no fault of my own .... WRONG :(   and we banged.. Alain did a pirouette in mid-air and i hoped he could continue.... in fact i waited 2 seconds, because i was going to give him the position back!.. but then Nilsson appeared getting ahead of Alain and i couldn't wait -..... ALAIN .. my sincere apologies!!  glad you were able to finish ~

and i continued, now back in p6.. when John and then later Andrew left the race (John Disco, Andrew?)  i was p4 - and  a long way back to 3d  Bob Simpson.. ah well ~
but as the laps clicked off, i saw i was gaining - maybe 1s / lap... from 16s back i was 10, 9, 8, 7.. well you get the picture and OH! lap traffic was exemplary! and i knew that was part of my ability to close the gap to BobS... he was dealing with same traffic ... still i soon saw him just ahead :o  and i was going to go for the podium!  then i saw Tames BEHIND me! what??  i'm p3 and a chance to catch p2... but ... ah well... that eagle looked hooked up and even had i caught his pipes, i don't think overtaking was going to be possible -

ah well ~

congrats Mick!..
BobS and all finishers - a tough track and all the while waiting for a major disco (didn't happen!! yay!)  

thanks to all for installing the patch!
if that was the reason -  maybe PRO setting is the reason ?   :P

on to Austria! my 2d favorite track of all ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#11 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 28 April 2018 - 10:44 AM

View PostMK3424, on 28 April 2018 - 09:19 AM, said:

PISSED OFF!!!

And then it turns out the person responsible is the Chief Race Steward.  You've got a good reason to be upset.  Apology e-mail sent.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#12 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:24 AM

Hi Claudio,

As I understand it the incident is all my fault I'm very sorry for the coin and championship implications to you and your team. I don't want to trouble the stewards very much so I'd be interested in hearing how much it costs to fix your ferrari. I was also hoping that my points could be readjusted to G3 levels if they haven't been already. That way you, and a bunch of other folk, would move up in the championship and you'd have a newish Ferrari in the garage.

From my viewpoint you made a lot of small mistakes that made it hard to judge where I should and shouldn't be on the race track. I was in no way trying to overtake you at thst moment  but when you bobbled I could either lockup and go straight on and almost T-bone you or I could try and crab to the inside. I was consistently shallow there to get the rotation I needed but the speed that it happened at meant I couldn't setup for anything. If I was going for anything there I would have been much higher on entry. Had I been farther behind you nothing would have happened and I'm quite aware that that is my responsibility. I don't know that you could have done much either  perhaps turn in less but it is a hard corner to navigate where you were with the camber drop off.

As for the race, I did my research and knew it would be a Hammondsfest. I did the usual useless bit in qualifying. I was put off by how slow I was and decided to try 30mins fuel instead. I'm slower that way but decided I need some sort of jolt. That was the mistake that ended my race. I forgot to reset the fuel. So anyways, I ran around at the beginning thinking the car felt off and wondering why I was slow and then ran into claudio and passed mick when he spun for the first time. After the incident with Claudio I wasn't able to focus very well and had an incident going over the bump in front of mick (sorry, that must have been scary!) and then another with Don when I was lapping and messed up the speed differential and clanged the wall going on the outside of Don. Sorry to both you and Mick I should have gone inside but didn't want to turn that much given where I touched down. In amongst that Bob let me by in the only pass I did into the hairpin. Around lap 20 the car gurgled coming up the hill and I hit the wall on the way to the pits and pulled up in my box and that was that. I don't have the pitstop patch but I guess I should get it. Stopping  was quite a surprise.

Andrew

#13 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 11:30 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 28 April 2018 - 10:43 AM, said:

then on lap 'x'  (i've no idea, but it was w/in first 10 i think) into T1 is Mick broadside!  YIKES :o  i stop short of contact ( i think )  and await getting hit from behind.. but no! its Alain going around and i am now p8... ah well ~

so i'm chasing Alain's honda and truly TRULY feel i'm quicker (believe me a RARE feeling) .. and having out qualified ASC as we approached T1, he (again as when he avoided me) went wide (no doubt now i realize Alain's normal line)  :P  but i thought "ahh, he's giving me the spot back - that he saw i lost it through no fault of my own .... WRONG :(   and we banged.. Alain did a pirouette in mid-air and i hoped he could continue.... in fact i waited 2 seconds, because i was going to give him the position back!.. but then Nilsson appeared getting ahead of Alain and i couldn't wait -..... ALAIN .. my sincere apologies!!  glad you were able to finish ~

Bo, do not worry, my Honda was quite squirrely braking at t1; but no, I did not notice you were waiting for

Mick, I thought you guys collided and believe me, seeing 2 cars blocking the corner entry when you are broadside braking is NOT fun :whistling:

Finished 6th, was all I could hope for in the Honda :wiggle:
" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#14 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:06 PM

Gabe... if your car was not handling as you wish, why didn't you pull into the pits and do a shift-R? you might have lost some ground, but your car would be repaired and your race continued ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#15 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,900 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:09 PM

Andrew!
you made it to the pits.. the pitstop 'patch' is a lovely assist, but i can't force people to use it. in any case, you COULD have done a shift-R and continued ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:

#16 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,679 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:39 PM

I had a perfect start and in some races, could have gotten by Hutchinson and Bo, but I was careful and played the long game. Bo looked like he had oil on his tires in the first laps – especially in the hairpin, and that’s where I got the drop on him.

From there on I stuck strictly to my scheduled laptimes and just let the others make mistakes. Unfortunately Hammonds discoed but otherwise I just crept up into 2nd place.

Around lap 13, Hutchinson and Chapman caught back up and I knew it was inevitable that they’d get past, so I left the door open going into T1 for them to get by.

Although it’s very hard to look at anything other than the track here, suddenly I noticed in Pribluda that Bo was near.  I tried to not react to the pressure, but made a little bobble, and kept at it to hold Bo off for 2nd in the end.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#17 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:55 PM

In the week before the D2 race I told Bo and Andrew that I'd be satisfied with a string of 38s during the race. I wouldn't get much faster than that but I could get a lot more dangerous. In the practice before qualifying I turned a PB 1:36.99. That was as good as I was going to be. I qualified just ahead of Ronnie and Tim, hoping simply to get through the first lap safely. That accomplished I settled in behind Alain, with Tim and Ronnie close behind. On the fifth lap, following Claudio's retirement, Tim and I were running 8th and 9th. As I approached the bales at Sant Jordi, I must have braked sooner than Tim was anticipating. He touched my rear --- I'm going to report him to Me:Too --- and spun us both. Ronnie snuck through, never to be seen again. I recovered more quickly than Tim, but decided on L6 that I'd rather be behind and pressing him than ahead and being pressed. On L7 I let him by, hoping that he'd find a way to screw the pooch somewhere.

Twenty-six laps later the dog Tim was supposed to screw still hadn't made an appearance. We were joined at the hip the entire time, not a second apart, he a bit faster in the second half of the track and I a little faster in the first half. I watched him go over the hump 20 times in a row, never taking the same line twice and frequently lighting up his tires. On every lap I would think, "He has just GOT to lose it this time." Finally on the 33rd lap at the entry to T1 I touched his rear --- I know, Me:Too --- and took over 7th place. OK, I agree that's not a recommended way to gain a position, so a little later in the lap I let him by, but then we got right back to our follow-the-leader dance. "Am I really going to lose this race to him by one second?" I asked. It was a rhetorical question, of course. Neither of us could pass the other without first knocking the other out of the way. Not half a lap later Tim spun out at Font del Gat and I slid past him with a happy wave.

As I crossed the S/F line to start my 37th lap I was 35 seconds behind Alain who lay 6th and 12 seconds ahead of Tim. Don Dodge, almost a lap behind me, was four seconds ahead. Coming over the hump I saw two cars ahead of me, slowing for the first turn. Two? I use PRBLUDA when I can, but sailing over that jump at close to the speed of sound isn't the best time for me to be taking my eyes off the road. I stayed to the left, rapidly overtaking the car to my right. I never gave it a second thought, figuring that Don would just let me by and stay well to the outside. Unfortunately I didn't make a tight left, and even more unfortunately the car I was passing wasn't Don's. It was Tames, who'd never gotten up to speed after doing a reset in the pits. One second later I was on my roof, turning a sure 7th into an even surer 11th. Not until I looked at the replay was I even aware what had happened.

I always try to take a simple lesson away from a race, and here I think I've learned that if Tim and I don't start leaving each other's butts alone, we're going to wind up like Harvey Weinstein and Kevin Spacey, except without their money.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 28 April 2018 - 01:25 PM.

#18 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,136 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:09 PM

Andrew:
    I'm not going to enter into discussions, if I made several mistakes or not being ahead of you, the only thing I'm going to say is that I had another car ahead of me, and that I had to leave space because if something happened on this circuit there was no place for evasive maneuvers. So if I raised or "made too many mistakes", it was only to leave room for the one who was ahead of me, besides only 4 laps had passed, the tires were still cold (in my Ferrari took 7 laps to take temperature) and the cars were heavy for fuel. In Adelaide, a track similar to this one, we ran for one hour three cars in twenty meters, and nobody touched anyone.
That's it, it's over, now to think about Zeltweg, and we're all friends
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#19 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:22 PM

Hay Pepe, what you trying to say here, I thought we were having a great race, loved every second of it, would have been more than happy to finish behind you here, you were obviously quicker than me here, but as you say we seem to be drawn together no matter where we start, as for the result, well for me itís unimportant where I finished, this was just great fun, itís enevitable that we will qualify next to each other in similar cars sooner or later.       CANT WAIT.

You are right I did run into you earlier in the race, but I did see you were off and away before me, your decision to chase was a good one, that did put pressure on me, and I just lost it later on.

Thanks for a great race, really enjoyed it.

Regards Tim.v

Edited by timbo, 29 April 2018 - 01:09 AM.

#20 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 28 April 2018 - 01:59 PM

My purpose here was to take advantage of being a G1 driving the Honda. And staying out of everybody's way.  Drove up to T1 too fast at the start and couldn't slow down fast enough to avoid the bottle neck there. Ended Kayo's race. My car was upright so I reluctantly continued on.  An easy drive from there to the finish line. My only problem was a tweaked left front. The car steered fine but the left front tire kept overheating.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

Sim Racing Links