14 replies to this topic

#1 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 207 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 09:14 AM

Screen freeze when i was standing on the starting grid.. i could hear the others driving away and some hitting me...

Pretty pissed because i was trying to score valuable points and coins for the team...

I hope Ratchet did better than me (if he showed up that is..)
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#2 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 751 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:09 AM

Bollocks to that

#3 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:11 AM

View PostRonnie Nilsson, on 16 March 2019 - 10:09 AM, said:

Bollocks to that

Yeah.. was pretty pissed off!

I was able to secure a good starting position.. and then that happened....

#4 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,923 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:29 AM

similar happening to my last race :(
no clue as to why ~
------------------------

qual about what i expected, but the frazzle of no internet til 1 minute prior to launch messed with my head a bit :P
p7 on grid.
good start - behind me seemed congested - but forward everyone took it easy. NICE!!

teammate Pepe out qualified me by 1 spot so i slotted in determined to stay close and not challenge as long as he maintained.
he maintained!! :)   good job Pepe!
with retirements, we both inched (millemetered?) forward and got to p4-p5 each

lapped traffic was good to us, tho i saw Don/Pepe have contact (maybe?) Don spun, i was able to avoid and regain my '6' position :)
that's how it finished  -  FINISHED!! yay ~

good day for Vulture.. for oAo... for solid connection :P
see you at east london
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#5 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 370 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:39 AM

3 out of 3! :yahoo:

Qualy very close to my Pb. Had a good start and started to pull away right away. Ricardo seemed to be pretty fast until he was gone after about 8 laps.  After about 10 laps I almost crashed into an accident ahead of me, and was very lucky to escape with no damage, although I did end up facing the wrong way and lost about 10 seconds. Was able to continue in the lead though. Did loose some time again when I had to pass a few lapped cars, and Francois was about 5-6 seconds behind me for most of the time. Managed to avoid making mistakes until the checkered flag, very happy with the result!

Congrats to the rest of the podium and see you in 2 weeks!

Edited by Tames, 16 March 2019 - 10:42 AM.

#6 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,737 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:48 AM

Congrats to Tames!  My apologies to everyone who hit me or I hit.  I believe I crashed pretty much every time I tried to let someone lap me.  Fun racing with Niky - he just had too much top end for me.

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

#7 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 216 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 10:51 AM

Was a bit disturbed in free trials :  can't connect on tame's server , finally connect with 60 fps choice but I had white flashes on screen .  Return to 36 fps , it was OK but my car was going a bit on left in straights .
Now with AoA server , the car is normal but I cant redo my best times .  Start and roll safe with Eduardo till he spined in the left before main straight . I'm sorry but can't avoid you . The bump was very light ( I brake to stop ) but the blue brabham was upside down and burning .
My car had suffered too and braking in the last turn was a nightmare during 3 laps .  Now I choice to drive very safe .
Some laps after I was in 2nd position ( what happened in front ?) with Tames leading but so far .   After that I saw my board , Tames at 7 seconds !!!   Something happened and I decided to drive faster but Tames reacts .  Never been better than 5 sec .
I'm very happy to finish 2nd . Many thx to the hondas wich were a dream lapping !   I had a big sweat with a Ferrari zig-zaging at the start of main straight...

And more happiness when i saw the finish board with Rudolf ( my team mate) in 10th place .   Wunderbar !!!!   Prima !!!!!    grossachtig !!!  :bowdown:
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#8 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 11:10 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 16 March 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

Lapped traffic was good to us, tho i saw Don/Pepe have contact (maybe?) Don spun . . .

I've looked at the replay from every angle and cannot see that Don and I actually touched, so I reluctantly have to put this one down to lag. I'm truly sorry, Don, but although we definitely were close, I had no idea that you'd spun until I saw Bo's post-note race above. I never felt the slightest contact. :wounded1:

I qualified 6th, as expected. In the days leading up to the race I'd gotten as low as 2:04.09, and had a few more 4s along the way. But I happily took a low 5 in qualifying, and on the lap where I was coming in to reset the car for race fuel, I went upside down (for the second race in a row). Everyone in front of me on the grid was clearly faster in the long run, especially Tames and Francois, so my plan was just to pace myself ahead of the guys behind me, knowing that teammate Bo, directly behind me in 7th, would do his best to swat those flies away.

The plan worked as well as I could have hoped. Bo and I were never more than three seconds apart. I put the Ferrari on cruise control in the mid-8s and waited for attrition to do its customary, brutal work. It wasn't long before Eduardo flipped in the way that Michael Lowery had taught us. A little later I noticed that Ricardo had bitten the dust as well. That raised me up to 4th, where I finished. Bo was one second behind me at the end, though I had the feeling he could have overtaken me anytime he wanted. But we have a rule on the Vulture team: The only thing we are ever permitted to fight about is road kill.

I was happy to see that my patience and caution finally were rewarded with the award for most consistent driver. Yep, slow but sure.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 16 March 2019 - 11:25 AM.

#9 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 16 March 2019 - 01:09 PM

Truly sorry to Ronnie, in side the last 10 laps, i went straight into the back of him, at the bottom of the hill, we were having a very close race, just didn’t have enough speed down the straights , on the grid the car in front of me just disappeared, then a split second later reappeared, so no idea what happened there, but when the flag dropped it didn’t move , so just crept up expecting it to move or dissapear again, but the driver behind me didn’t know what was happening he went into me, I went into the guy in front, my engine was broken, so had to wait for the track to clear, then did the shift R, got away in 15th, after that it was just a chase to catch the pack, got up to 8th behind Reberto, and Ronnie, both driving Ferrari’s, so just had to push as much as possible and wait for a mistake, which were made and I was able to get past Roberto, eventually, but Ronnie he was giving nothing away, and that let to me making a huge mistake as discribed above , I can only say I’m very sorry for that, I know that won’t make him feel any better, but I have to say that at the very least.

Sincere apologies to Ronnie, Tim.

Edited by timbo, 16 March 2019 - 02:44 PM.

#10 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 02:26 PM

Finally finished a race !  never felt confident with the Brabham so at the last minute this morning decided to change for a Honda, at Andrew suggestion (it payed off, thanks mate !).

tried the suggested setup for about 15 minutes and already was comfortable, turning low 2:08 in race trim, but was not able to get much faster with less fuel ?! anyway qualified 13 th.

Do not really know what happened at the start, the guy in front started to move but stopped so did I until I was hit from the back then my car bounced from the left side to the right side of the track ?!
Was able to go to my pit stall and reset; from 16th position then it was a matter of staying on the track the best I could but, much to my surprise and delight, I was catching up to the guys in front !
feeling more and more confident i caught and pass several cars to with the help of attrition, finished 9th
(Bo, your stats are incorrect, you write me as starting 15th and finishing 11th ?)

The car was stable and predictable,

I have to say

the most fun i had in GPL in years :weight_lift2:  :yeah:

forgot to mention, Congrats to Tames for the hat trick ! hope I did not slowed you too much when you lapped me ?  

Now to find out where I am loosing 1 second off Pepe when I was regularly ahead last year.... are you just getting better as you are getting older  ? :wheelchair:   :wiggle:

Edited by Aljones, 16 March 2019 - 03:16 PM.

" Racing is Life, everything else is just .... waiting "

#11 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:11 PM

First Things first: congrats to the Podium and their great Achievements and sorry for my bad typing. It is late and the Windows Keyboard drives me mad with the autocorrection.
Second: Thank you very much to all the fast Drivers for being so Patient and Kind when lapping us slower Drivers and Beginners. I am sure most of us try to be as cooperative as possible.
I had an Encounter with a Honda during qualy: I was on fast lap (at least for me it felt fast...) and he did a brilliant Job to disapear and nearly damaged his car. Thank you very much!!
What a great race. I had nearly no time to practice and therefore my laptimes where not competitive at all (thanks to my Team for all their support to prepare me so far that I could finish the race)
After Messing up a start on Friday I was very carefull and that Paid out well in the backfield. Sorry Niky that you touched me because I had to Stomp into the Brakes because of the chaos infront. You did a good Job to Prevent us both from Damage.
From that Point I had a fantastic race. For 30 laps I made no mistake at all 2-3 laps were slower but I could easily manage every Situation with lapping cars I think. On the straight I ate a peppermint from time to time and was completely gentle on my mind ...
Great drive Francois. I was so happy for the Team and was shouting "Hello and Goodbye"  when you passed me nice and easy! :)

#12 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 16 March 2019 - 05:47 PM

Tim, thanks for the apology. I was mad at the time, but mistakes happen. 6th is so much better than 8th. :(

#13 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 17 March 2019 - 12:21 AM

That was not a mistake, it was downright bad driving on my part, up to that point you, Roberto, and my self were having a great race, I messed it up, I should try to remember that this is only a game, but Iíve spent years racing one thing or another, this is Where I am now too old to race, too young to give up,    sorry mate

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 17 March 2019 - 12:22 AM.

#14 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 751 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:42 AM

Well, this was a strange one, for sure. I guess like many of you, I regard Bathurst as one of the best and most fun add-on tracks around, with some challenging corners and the huge long bumpy straight, leading to the arse-clenching downhill braking zone to Murray's.  However, in practicing, I could not get anywhere near sub 2:07.  On Friday, I finally got it down to 2:07.20.  I felt comfortable everywhere, apart from the aforementioned braking zone, but I knew my time was poor. I actually found that putting more fuel in the car made it more stable, and did not decrease my lap times, so in qualy I filled it with enough for 10 laps and just went out. I beat my PB by 0.6 seconds, but was a poor 10th in the Ferrari, being soundly beaten by those I regard as my peers, in either identical or inferior cars.

The race was quite fun, and I had good racing with Mick, Roberto and Tim, over a number of laps. I gained my positions by attrition as usual, and was in 6th, but having some serious pressure from Tim in the Cooper.  Unfortunately, possibly as a result of a tow down Conrod, he misjudged his braking, causing me to go off in the run off area.  By the time I'd turned it around, I was down to 8th, and in a rage, with about 3 laps to go.  However, I know Tim is a gentleman driver, and not reckless - these things happen.

Roll on East London.

#15 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 207 posts

Posted 17 March 2019 - 03:43 PM

So yeah.. sadly no video of the race.. however i did made a small test recording of what the video might have looked like... i've been thinking about adding a input overlay graphic as a visual indicator of how precise we have to be with the controls...

Videolink: https://www.dropbox....16 13-19-50.mp4

Sim Racing Links