• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,065 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 27 October 2018 - 01:09 PM

Great track, very flat, and parts that look alike, but it has great rhythm and flow. Quite challenging.

Midweek decided I would take the Brab, also to give Enrique a better chance to fight for P4 in the c'ship. When Iestyn showed up with a brand new Lotus I knew it would be a hard task to beat him on pace.

Ran a PB in quali, and in my very last lap was even faster, but lost it in the final turn trying to snatch Pole. Had a solid start, but Roy was right on my tail and had to defend towards BC Loop at the very right side. This compromised my entry a bit -very tight- and went in a bit too deep, and tried my best to keep on track. I suppose we all braked a bit late, since Iestyn went off, and Roy had the same line as me. If Iestyn hadn't gone off, we probably had made contact. Got very lucky there, but I guess it was simply hard racing.

From then on was able to pull away from Roy gradually, and ran a consistent race after that. It wasn't as easy as it might have looked though. Didn't get too much sleep last night, and had to pull myself together in order to keep my discipline. Pretty happy with my race, all laps on track and most consistent. Good choice to take the Brab, however Enrique had to retire, which is a shame for his own aspirations, and the team's. Still we gained a bit on Bend Racing and now we will try to fight for runner-up in the team c'ship.

Grats to Roy, and good pace by Iestyn, after a difficult start of the race for him. Will be interesting to see what happens in the last race. Iestyn's pretty strong at Stardust, and he still has a decent chance to win the c'ship IMO. Good job finishers, commiserations to the retirements.

Thanks all for racing :)

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 27 October 2018 - 01:41 PM.

#2 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,629 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 02:28 PM

Too little practice and too many mistakes get me to an 8th place in the end. Fun race though, on a tricky track. Managed to survive the initial scuffle at T1 relatively unharmed although I may have been nudged by an Eagle. For the first 10 or so laps I was running in close proximity with Yannick, Frank, Enrique and who know who. Couldn't really keep track who was in there with that much going on. As the group drew itself apart over time I initially could catch Frank but I was too inconsistent today to mount an effective challenge. Still had fun despite the low finishing position.
I just wanna race

#3 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 240 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:15 PM

Nassau is gradually become one of my favourites in GPL.
Not much elevation but it feels really good to drive.

Qualifying went as expected, though I had a really off moment with eight minutes to go when my pedals suddenly stopped responding.
I parked the car and checked what was wrong. Turns out the cable got loose from my wheel.
Something relatively minor, but it gave me a scare nontheless.

The race went early on somewhat above my expectations.
I made up a few places and actually managed to keep up with the midfield for about 8 laps until I got taken out in Turn 2 by an Eagle.
Not sure how one could commit a move like that over there.

Either way, disgruntled I fell back to P11, lost touch to the rest of the midfield,
and mostly relied on others' misfortunes to climb up the ladder.
In the end I gained two places. Might've been able to get Michi after he went wide, only to go wide myself and spin,
after which I just took it to the finish a bit half-hearted.

Could've been a more fun race if it weren't for that collision.
Really disappointing as I did manage to stick with the rest.
I think there are possibilities to mix myself in the midfield with B.R.M., I'd have to get G7-Borderline pace in order to get to that point, but I can keep up on a good day.
And otherwise I'm just driving for the coins. Bit frustrating when you know what you are capable of, but cannot realise it optimally with a slower vehicle.
It's kinda dull and not really motivating, but looking for something positive...

... only one more race left in this darned thing. And the CanAm  66 winter season to look forward to.
And then we'll see what S22 brings me.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#4 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 135 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 03:28 PM

Yannick - No doubt you want better than the BRM usually delivers  but I know I am not alone in thinking you serve as a very useful benchmark for the rest of us.  I always check your times and sectors to see what I ought to be doing. Keep it up.

Andrew

#5 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 October 2018 - 05:51 PM

Grats Rob , Roy and Iestyn. Well done , outstanding pace up front.

:down:

Just wanna die after this one. Completely gutted and utterly depressed. Twice in two races is simply unheard of.  It was a spotless race , as good as I could have hoped for with a solid P4 halfway tucked away in my pocket. Greg was chasing me but I could up my pace and control the gap and then poof.. not once in practice all week did I pop the engine but managed to again in what looked like a decent bounce back for the team but ended in disaster with four laps to go. Shit.. just shit.

#6 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:12 AM

Great pace in the BRM Yannick, I'm sure next season you can drive better cars again, either way, as a Privateer or a Teamdriver. I do hope you will be available for teams next year.

Tough luck Dag. You ran a very solid race once again, and it's a tough break for Bend Racing. I can relate to your feelings, but try to accept mentally what is. You can't change it anymore. I used to be very upset when having incredible bad luck in my first seasons her in oAo. Looking back (which I hardly do anymore) I realize I did need all that adversity (and bad behaviour as well) to learn from it. That it isn't important what cards you've been dealt, but that it's important how you deal with it (accept what is mentally, staying in the present).

A couple of seasons ago the only thing that counted for me was the raceresult, but most of the time I was totally unhappy racing, being utterly depressed, anxious and frustrated, while looking back or forward (but never being a present being). Only the last 2 years started to appreciate the practising as much as the actual race, especially after losing the c'ship in S19. Probably will sound like a wiseguy, but it's simply the "truth".

The best things that happened to me this season were my mistakes at Montjuic and Aintree, plus the screenfreeze at Brno49 in the last lap. Those are great lessons, it teaches me not to have any expectations, or take anything for granted. It teaches to accept my imperfections and faults. What I like about racing/practising is being totally alligned with the present. I've never enjoyed my passion for GPL more like I do now, and it helps me to perform better as well, on and off the track.

Take this post for what you want guys, I'm simply a bit of a serious guy (still I have a lot of fun nowadays) :D

#7 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 05:47 AM

Thanks Rob , a good nights sleep helps and today Im looking forward again. And trust me , as a pool player I can say that what I experienced yesterday isnt too bad compared  to the mental hardships you must endure as a pool player. So Im used to it but nonetheless its gutting when it happens.

If it was only me that suffered under this stupid mistake then I would have been more ok with it , its just that we were looking at a 7+7 points finish and ended up with a 7+0 instead. I usually dont expect much of the race , there are some tracks where Im better than other tracks and there I expect myself to do well. Nassau was a new aquaintance so didnt really know what to expect but I knew that getting the best of both Greg and Mike in any race is a very tall order for me and yesterday they suffered some initial problems that gave me the cushion I needed so it was all on the books for a bounce back in the team championship, so when the engine went it was like being struck by lightning on a sunny day.

Fortunately Iestyn brought home a 3rd place allthough I suspect he isnt too thrilled about his race yesterday either. He had crazy pace yesterday , I knew he would come back after going off in the start and sure enough , not many laps in he catches me and I let him pass to go after you and Roy. But then he goes off again and I pass , a little later he comes up again and passes me and I think that actually happened one more time after that and even so he was like 20+ sec ahead of me when the engine went and I didnt really give much time away. :Oo:

From here we have to trust the luck of the Irish and Im not Irish. Try to end the season well at Stardust , at least finish the damn race. And the fact that a computer game can get to me this way is just a testament to how awsome gpl really is.

Edited by D_J, 28 October 2018 - 05:50 AM.

#8 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

Congrats Rob, Roy, and Iestyn!

That was a difficult one. I needed to turn into the Colonial Loop aggressively but had I done that I'd have nailed Roy. I got in the sticky stuff off the side of the track and lost all my momentum. I thought that relegated me to the very back but I didn't see that Frank was in the weeds. Thank you Doni and Alex for letting me pass.

It was difficult in traffic. I almost went off trying to avoid Yannick and I misjudged how slow Enrique was in the final turn. My apologies. I never had any faith that I could outbrake anybody so any passes would require good momentum at crucial points on the track. The cars in front of me ensured I was losing lots of momentum at most of the crucial points. Yannick's warping was bothering me much more than a little warping usually does. I was glad I didn't have to stay behind him long.

I wish I'd have got a decent start. I'd have liked to have seen if I could stay close to Roy. I didn't think about Iestyn much this time. Once I got behind him it was quickly apparent that I had nothing for him. Being in traffic early kept me from getting my tires warm and getting in any kind of rhythm. It took me more than 15 laps to get going well and I never felt comfortable even though my car felt great when practicing on race fuel.

It looks like Iestyn is returning to form. There's been a few races I think I could have beat him if I had a Lotus too. I doubt the Lotus would have got me to his pace in this one. One stint in the Lotus makes me think I'm a second faster with it but I think I needed 1.5 seconds if I wanted a chance to stay close to Iestyn.

For a flat track, I like this one a lot. I don't care much for the section from Colonial Loop to Carlton Corner, what I'd call the 2nd loop. The rest of the track is fun for me. This track had me more concerned than any but Aintreer. I thought I could do decent but my hopes weren't too high. I did as well as I could reasonably expect and better than expected considering my early handicap.

Thanks guys, see you next time.
Greg Taber

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,065 posts

Posted 28 October 2018 - 04:54 PM

View PostJMF, on 28 October 2018 - 09:41 AM, said:

I misjudged how slow Enrique was in the final turn. My apologies.

On behalf of the team, no worries Greg. Enrique went sideways and lost momentum. You tried to stay off him. Great recovery and pace, G7 worthy :) (even when I didn't nominate you after R12)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 28 October 2018 - 04:55 PM.

#10 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:14 AM

Glad to have this one behind me. As with Road America, I knew that I would have fps issues with this circuit. Running alone, fps dropped when turning into and apexing the final corner. As at Road America, it was not ideal, but manageable. During the race I discovered that running in a pack worsened the fps drop in that corner and in a couple other corners as well. So my inability to run away from Michi on lap 1 set me up for some extra difficulties for about the first 10 laps of the race, during which I cycled from 4th place to 9th or 10th, then back up to 5th, where I finished. The dicing was excellent fun and very professionally done. But I must admit that buying a new computer with an adequate graphics card is rising on my list of priorities. I am growing tired of dealing with fps issues.

Before all that, qualifying was unusually exciting. On my first tank of fuel, I patiently warmed up my tires only to lose track of my brake markers and stick the car in a fence when I started to push. Not wanting to start from the 10th grid position, I reduced fuel load to three gallons and desperately puked out three laps in the final five minutes of qualifying. A grid position of 6th was as good as I could reasonably have hoped for. Not even matching my PB would have earned me a higher slot.

Nassau is an impressive piece of track building, but it's hard to say whether I like it. The quality of the racing, at least in mid pack, was pretty high and lots of fun. With Iestyn and Greg working their way from behind and the rest of us battling for position, it was pretty intense.

Congratulations to the podium and to all finishers. Commiserations to Dag. Thank you, Robert, for sharing your perspective in post #6 above. All GPLers should read it and take it to heart.

Michael

Sim Racing Links