Triple Screens

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 October 2016 - 10:23 AM

Both OpenGl and D3D V2 rasters work on single screen... so ther ya go ;)
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#22 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 October 2016 - 11:33 AM

My "active" displayport adapter arrived today. Seems it isn't active at all, because despite all possible configurations for the videocard (I have all sorts of cables, adapter and monitors), the third monitor can't be enabled, even when it's detected.

Right now I'm ff-ed up and hate all the time and € I put into into this effort...it's prolly just the cheap ass made in china "active" DP adapter (with supposed chipset (prolly MacGyver style)) causing the problems not making a native connection but recognizing it as legacy (like with my passive DP-DVI cable before)...

Last attempt will be ordering a cheap ass DP-VGA adapter.

:soapbox: :uglyhammer:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 October 2016 - 11:50 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#23 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 30 October 2016 - 01:54 AM

Right now I'm running GPL on an iMac under bootcamp with Windows7, so should I decide to go for a 3 screen setup I would need a new computer as well. I would love to have 3 monitors as well, and wouldn't mind spending some money on it. But reading this thread isn't very encouraging to say the least. For now I'll just keep things the way they are and enjoy racing. For sure I need the practice more than anything.

#24 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 03:20 PM

View PostEFulghum, on 15 October 2016 - 09:54 PM, said:

To sum things up for anyone wondering how to make three screens work:

Your field of view will be whacked, but you can adjust that with GPL Shift. FOV adjustment in GEM is helpful, but doesn't do a whole lot. There is also a program called FovEd that adjusts the field of view. I think it offers more adjustment than GEM does - I havn't tested it tho.

Eric

What do you mean that "FOV adjustment in GEM is helpful, but doesn't do a whole lot."  What is not happening?  You should see a very different view if you select, say, a 10° FOV.

This is the way to change the FOV using GEM – and keeps the same FOV every time that you run GPL:

In your sierra\gpl folder, delete the EXE that is for the cars that you want to adjust.  So for the 65 cars, you’d delete the gplc65.exe application, or for the 67 cars, the gplc67.exe.

Then open GEM and adjust the number where it says “Field of View”.  When you either run the 65 mod or exit GEM, the gplc65.exe will be rebuilt with the new FOV.  Repeat with trial and error to get the FOV that you want.

Remember that the above only adjusts the FOV for the selected cars and for others you need to delete the exe associated with that mod.  You can have different FOVs for each mod.  This doesn’t work for the 69Extra mod though, unfortunately.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#25 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 09:43 PM

Ok. Thanks Bob. I will test it again. But I don't think it has enough adjustment to correct for the triple screen setup. I think only GPlshift can fix that. Don't know tho, I will have to test. Hopefully this weekend I can get to it.

Eric

#26 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,680 posts

Posted 09 November 2016 - 12:58 PM

Actually, I found that GPLShift limited the range that is possible.  Note that GPL will only go up to around 120 degrees wide.  You can enter 180, but it will only go to 120.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#27 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 15 November 2016 - 01:05 PM

Finally got my triple screens working. That last "active" DP adapter was either a scam, or just defect...

Bought a secondhand Club3D active adapter, and this one works happily. Running in 4320x900, good enough ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 15 November 2016 - 01:06 PM.

#28 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 16 November 2016 - 10:27 PM

I know how you feel :)

Does your view cut off most of the instrument panel of the car? Mine does. That's why I need to adjust the FOV.
Other issue is, driving with triple screens I noticed I was always a micro second late correcting slides. I think this is because the amount of interior you see in the triple screen view is less than in a single screen view. You are basically sitting further forward in the cockpit in the triple screen view and therefore you see less of the sides of the interior and the sides are critical. I reasoned this was because the sides of the car are generally parallel to the sides of the track. When you notice they are not parallel like they should be you sense a slide. So with the amount of interior in the triple screen view reduced, so is the sensation of starting to slide, so you react a micro second late.

I raced the last two races using only one screen and I had no issues correcting the car.

Eric

#29 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 10:31 AM

Thanks Eric. Exaclty, I use 120degree FOV now , because with less the driving feels very twitchy, even when the perpspective is superb. It's like having to learn driving again at 106degree or so. You really have way more immersion, and the elevations of a track are almost like 3D. I'm thinking not to use prib any more, and using the No Letterbox patch, since then you have all the meters visible. It's making it really more realistic. ATM still slightly slower than normal, about 3 tenths at the Glen.

#30 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 18 November 2016 - 04:43 PM

This is my provisional setup. Both sidemonitors ATM are 19", not ideal. Looking for another 22" to complete a 22/24/22 setup, the height dimensions will almost be identical (16:10/16:9/16:10). Also got Remco Hitman's old cockpit, including his custom made pedals, needs some work/maintanance.  Planning to make a triple monitor mount from aluminium, and might look for an other (used) wheel.

I guess it will be hotseating as I've got already someone occupying the seat :P

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 18 November 2016 - 04:51 PM.

#31 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 12:16 AM

Never knew you were a cat :-)
I just wanna race

#32 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 09:09 AM

...and an evil one at that.... look at his glowing eyes... it's a sure sign of evil.

#33 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 19 November 2016 - 03:16 PM

I downloaded the NoLetterbox patch and will give that a go.

Eric

#34 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:24 PM

Currently using most prib functions, having repositioned most. But with the No Letterbox patch the prib overlap is transparant, making stuff harder to read with less contrast in colours. Also some dash info (I can't change position AFAIK) is projected just on the insides of the sidemonitors making hard to read the engine temp and fuel amount. I often toggle through the prib functions with function keys for personal preferences. Sometimes I prefer to have sector timing off for example. So prib's usable still for me.

But No Letterbox is the way to go. Should have used it before even with the 24" monitor at 1920x1080 (16:9) for FOV as well. Looking forward to complete my new cockpit setup over the winter, including another 22" monitor and a better wheel possibly. Might also go racing upstairs in a free room.

Also found some form back at 120degree FOV, PR at Glen 3.77, making me just -70 :) Might try to lower FOV slightly, especially when I have another secondhand 22" monitor. Still hard to get used to the tires being on the other monitors, but the bezels of the 24" are quite thin happily....

PS: the new racing seat is being contended between both my cats 24/7 :D

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 20 November 2016 - 02:28 PM.

#35 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 02:43 PM

One of those cats is evil. I would be careful.

Yes, the NoLetterbox patch did the trick. Looks great! Just did 3 laps at VIR - what a great track, and even better with three screens and no Prib. The drivers in the 60's had no Prib, we shouldn't either :P

Thanks for all the help guys!
Eric

#36 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 20 November 2016 - 10:13 PM

View PostEFulghum, on 20 November 2016 - 02:43 PM, said:

The drivers in the 60's had no Prib, we shouldn't either :P

Arturo says that too, and although I would normally defer to anything he would suggest, I simply can't agree with that sentiment. As online participants we don't have the same awareness that those real drivers had. Our fields of vision are limited (even with three screens) and although the sounds are good, they're not what real ears would hear on a track. Maybe the higher up the tree you climb the necessity for aids such as Pribluda diminishes, but my experience has been that I need all the help I can get. And not just for me but for the guy whose chance to win the race depends upon his belief that I know where he is when closes in to lap me.

#37 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 10:05 AM

For realism prib is not usable, but for safety, and more real time info, it's handy...never used it before 2007, but when I started simracing again late 2013 started to use it...the trackpositionboard is handy for awareness, and the sector timing for hotlapping and quali...also admit I rely on the tire readings to adjust my driving...before 2007 used digital dash...but also can do without it...

Have tuned my FOV to a lower setting, right now around 106 degrees, to have most of the wheels on the other monitors...with Brabham mirrors hardly are visible, even at 120 degrees...isn't there a tool to change the sit position height?

PS: found it, it's GPLSA to change the height of the sit position (and rest of driver view). Using GPLShift now for adjusting driving view for all mods when I can't see the mirrors for example.

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=9752

This is the F312 at 102degrees FOV...

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 22 November 2016 - 05:49 PM.

#38 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 21 November 2016 - 12:15 PM

Awesome. :)

#39 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,532 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 03:39 PM

I was out of town for a week and I turned off my computer for that time. When I get back Windows forgot a bunch of settings in regards to my triple displays. I think I have all of those settings fixed, but GPL does not offer the 5780x 1080 setting. It's not in the list.
How do I get that back?

Eric

#40 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:49 PM

Possibly under GEM/Rasteriser/Custom Resolution? I'm having my custom 4320x900 resolution there filled in. But it also might be under your videocard settings. I'm using eyefinity, you don't I believe...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 08 June 2017 - 04:49 PM.

Sim Racing Links