19 replies to this topic

#1 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,030 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:32 AM

Accomplished what I wanted to do. Finish with no dents in the car. Getting as many coins as I can with the Honda
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

good qual.. but only good enough for p4 on grid... wow...
here's the most amazing thing -   16 starters and ALL 16 finished!!  very proud of each of you - splendid accomplishment~!

the race started and looked clean, and i tucked in behind Claudio to wait for the tires to warm and a chance for the umph of the cosworth to overtake the repco.
Claudio was on his game and gave me no such opening. in fact, i think he was pulling away!  then John had an off and i was p3 - still behind Claudio, til for whatever reason he went off on the downhill T3 (?) and i was gifted p2.. for about 1/2 the race, then John caught up and he noticed the anchor that was attached to my rear and went by under the bridge before the hairpin!  wow..... ok, p3... i'll just hang on.
and did ~ yay!

i only saw 3 (or was it 4) backmarkers and all were superb - thanks

congrats to John and Bob for showing us how its done :)
3 races remain - now to Rd Atlanta -
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Aljones

Aljones

• Members
  • 98 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:06 AM

I was not comfortable under braking with the Eagle no matter what change I made to my setup so I couldn't push to the full potential of the car; my goal in qualy was 5th, I managed 7th, the boys where quick !

Had a better start than Andrew beside me and easily followed the leaders for a couple of laps, even climbing to 4th when Mick and John went wide ; then I made a mistake at Canada only to fall back in behind Andrew with Mick closing fast, a  little fight with him but did not want to risk a collision so I was content to watch him hound Andrew;

A couple of laps later Andrew went wide at t5 and all 3 of us went off !! :Oo:   that is what happens when you look at the action instead of concentrating on the racing line....

Mick took the spot ahead of Andrew and me  and the order was like that for many laps until Andrew made a mistake with 5-6 laps to go, just when I started going faster so it was easy sailing for 6th from then, with the car intact..

do not know what happened to my teammate Niky, he was at the Igor chat, Donnie told him th IP but he did not show.. :wounded1:

Edited by Aljones, 06 October 2018 - 03:26 PM.

" Racing is Life, the rest is just .... waiting "

#4 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

Man, what a mess of a track!

No matter how i setup the car... sometimes it brakes fine, and sometimes either the back end steps out, or i just understeer the hell into a corner.. followed by a oversteer moment... jeez.

Also: before the race, i accidentally tapped and spun a Honda when i was going to do my fast lap, my sinsere appology, my back started to step when i was exciting the corner, i corrected it.. but i still ended up touching the Honda.. sending it into a spin...

Now... the race.. i didn't expect much of it, since the track didn't suit the car... at all.... so my goal was just to finish and to do it as cleanly as possible... i made some mistakes here and there.. spun a couple of times... explored some of the scenery outside of some corners...

I even catched a glimpse (even twice!) of 2 guys wiping eachother out in a corner (i think they both where Brabham's, but i could be wrong).

So yeah.. P14 it ain't much, but it's better than a DNF... and it seems like everybody managed to finish.. NICE!!! Since i saw that even the best drivers made mistakes...

Oh well... video will be up later (or tomorrow depending on the time), i will post the link
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will premiere every Sunday at 8pm CET

#5 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 12:18 PM

In the practice before qualifying I turned a 2:20.07, a PB by half a second. I figured if I could get anything below 2:21 during qualifying, I'd take it, put in race fuel, and spend the rest of the time getting used to a heavy car again. I did pull a 20:48, good enough for 8th. I was 1.5 seconds behind the car ahead and 1.5 seconds faster than the car behind. It seemed like a good cushion. It wasn't. It was nothing but an illusion. Ronnie, Tim, and Dan were all faster than I was under race conditions, and when the flag dropped, they didn't waste more than a couple of laps proving it.

For most of the race I was consigned to 11th overall, so I plodded along, trying not to make any mistakes. I figured 20% of the field would bomb out, so I'd probably get back to 8th when the smoke cleared. But hope is not a plan. At some point I'd managed to get ahead of Dan and pull Tim back into view. The three of us looped together nose to tail for a few laps. Coming into T2 on the 24th lap Dan rear-ended me, knocking us both off the track. I recovered more quickly and held on to finish 10th. The car seemed to be unaffected, despite having six minor damage reports generated. I know my race wasn't something that they'll be showing on "Great Moments in F1 Racing," but I didn't think I was driving so badly I needed to get my poor ass hammered like a rented mule.

#6 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:14 PM

This is a track I really struggled at.  I couldn't get anywhere near less than 2:20 in my preparations, and often was inexplicably 2 seconds slower than that.

Come race day, the omens looked bad, with me being allotted Guy Ligier's blue Brabham - you know, the one you lap after about 3 laps of an offline race. I qualified about 11th, I think, with a 2:21, and we all raced away cleanly and completed lap 1.  Tim was breathing down my neck and was clearly faster than I was. I left the door open at the tight left-hander T5, and he was through.  Then, I found myself at the end of a 4-car train for a few laps: Pepe, Dan, Tim, me.  Suddenly, something happened, and before I knew it, Pepe dropped back and I was in 10th. Then, Dan went wide on L7, and I was into 9th.  Lap after lap I followed Tim, quite close after the Carousel every lap, but as soon as we got on the main straight, Honda power told.  I was not going to push it, and was actually extremely relaxed.  In fact, I wasn't even really concentrating that hard - my wife and I went to see Bradley Cooper's directorial debut in the morning, "A Star is Born", and I couldn't shift it from my mind.  (For those who like cinema, I thoroughly recommend it - both Cooper and Lady Gaga put in great performances.)  So, Tim and I raced around until I could see his tyres were giving him problems.  I waited and waited, and eventually at T1 on lap 16, he slid wide, and I was through.  And thus, I finished in 8th, my teammate Mick in 5th - a good day for us. :)

#7 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:19 PM

Wow! That was interesting. Bob is a real gentleman! It's a shame such a good race had such an ugly ending. You had him Bob! You only had two more turns to go. That was a nice job by John coming back from his mistakes.

Take care guys.
Greg Taber

#8 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 02:24 PM

I had a great start from 2nd on the grid to get ahead of Hammonds. In the last corner of lap 1, he went off the track which gave me breathing room. This left me with no immediate pressure, so I put in my steadiest laps, knowing that Hammonds would probably catch me again as he was 1 second faster in qualifying.

He caught me and spun off twice, which was a bit of a relief, but I would have been relieved if he had gotten ahead of me since I felt that I was holding him up. Surprisingly I could hold him off through the lap - especially surprising that he couldn’t get past me on the main straight.

On the fast stretches down Moraine Sweep into turn 5 and Kettle Bottoms into Canada Corner, it’s almost impossible to pass because they’re not straight, which leaves only  the main straight.

So last lap with him on my tail again and encountering traffic, I went wide at Canada Corner. As Hammonds started to go by on the inside, I veered right into his path. I immediately had big regrets as I could have resigned myself to sliding off the track but I tried to save it and touching the grass, the car veered. I thought to myself that an outside viewer would think that I had tried to keep Hammonds behind any way I could, so I decided to let him take the win.

In retrospect, maybe I should have gone ahead. I could have offered to give up the place as a penalty after the race. As well, I didn’t’ realize that Bo was so close behind. I could have ended up 3rd!

I online race strictly for fun so although I gave the victory to Hammonds, it would been a hollow victory for me, having punted my closest rival off the track.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#9 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2018 - 03:17 PM

I shouln't race... igor racelist was down and I was a bit lost . Found an IP number on this forum and try to put it in my igor folder : no result...  Then I wrote "igor racelist down" in google and found a solution through GPL game .  I tried it with the IP number and it works , Just in time .
I've done a 2'21 during the week but now I'm unable to do better than 2'23 .  Coming in the race through GPL instead of Igor changed my gamepad settings , so I lost many time and I was too nervous to drive fast .
After the start I made a spin at T1 during the second lap . Now I battle with a BRM and a Ferrari . After that , I rode alone with safe hoping some issues but nothing happened...
I hope it was my last race with the BRM ?  I want to buy a Cooper for the next race   :-)
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#10 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 06 October 2018 - 05:15 PM

Well, no one wants to win like that. :(

The run up to the flag was like a scene from a Chuckle Brothers sketch. "to you, to me, to you, to me" as both Bob and me tried to let the other person win it. It wasn't until I saw Bo closing extremely quickly on Prib I made the decision to accept Bob's invitation. In my opinion it was simply a racing incident, unfortunate, but we were both pushing very hard. (Well I was). I didn't expect the win, Bob had led for 24.5 laps and I had tried every line I could think of to find a way around him but none of them would give me the exit I needed onto the straights with the only real passing opportunities but he consistently got the power down better then me.

I made 3 mistakes during the race, (Well 4 if you include the usual one of allowing Bob to get ahead by T1). I put wheel on the grass in the final turn on lap 1 trying for a wide entry to get a late apex and hopefully regain the position in the drag up the straight. That put me back down in 9th with it all to do. Worked my way back up to Bob and then did the same thing somwhere around lap 15 I think into T1. Fortunately this time I didn't lose any places but was now about 700yds adrift of Bob again. Next mistake was on Lap 21 on the run down to T2. Misjudged my braking point and had to dive off track to avoid running into the back of Bob, so had a frantic last 4 laps trying to get back on his tail.

The racing between Bob and me was some of the best I can remember for a long time. No passing but I felt really comfortable at times with only a car length beteen us at 150mph The connection to the server was rock solid and it was like racing the AI it was so smooth.

The records will show I got the win, but the replay really tells a different story. The win doesn't sit comfortably with me and I hope I will be as gracious should the situation be reversed.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#11 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:43 AM

Hi guys, had a great race with Ronny yesterday, was hoping to hang on to 8th but made a mistake at T1, and he was able to take full advantage of that, but in all honesty he was faster than me at that stage, he mentioned he thought my tyres were going off, that could be right, I didn’t notice if they were, my thoughts are that I tend to get a little careless towards the end of the race.

But I really enjoy racing closely like that, as for setting up the car to allow the tyres to stay in good condition for the length of the race well that’s not something I can even think about, but I do have a habit of starting very quickly,  the pace stays with me, but dose not improve very much, whereas others seem to, oh well. That’s racing Guys.

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 10 October 2018 - 08:32 AM.

#12 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 576 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:52 AM

Tim, I only thought that because in my limited experience in the Honda, the tyres seem to overheat very easily.  It was good racing. :)

#13 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 09:42 AM

As promised, here's the video:

https://www.youtube....h?v=d9-ldvfdSUE

#14 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 59 posts

Posted 07 October 2018 - 12:01 PM

And a short vid I've made at Road America in 2009 during the SCCA runoffs ( I made the music too )
https://www.youtube....h?v=r1xcAlVdGGc
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#15 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 08 October 2018 - 05:34 AM

Nice video Kayo, I always enjoy watching these.

You seem very conservative on your upshifts. In the past I have found it's overrevving during the downshifts which kills the BRM. I used to routinely take it up to 11K on the upshifts without any drama. (Leaving some in reserve in 6th in case I got a tow off someone).

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 103 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:40 PM

View Postsnafu, on 08 October 2018 - 05:34 AM, said:

Nice video Kayo, I always enjoy watching these.

You seem very conservative on your upshifts. In the past I have found it's overrevving during the downshifts which kills the BRM.

TTFN
John.

Yeah, i've been doing more conservative upshifts since the race at Silverstone... But even with 6 gears i seem to struggle to keep up with others during acceleration.

I seem to get closer to others under braking, but then i would lose that advantage when accelerating back out of corners... no matter how loose i've set my diff.

#17 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:39 PM

You are quite low on rev after each shift, below 8000 the H16 is not making much power. I guess that is part of your acceleration problem combined with the conservative redline you set yourself. Taking the engine slowly to 10500 shouldn't be a problem, spiking the revs seems to blow more engines for me than running them high consistently.
I just wanna race

#18 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 224 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 08 October 2018 - 03:47 PM

Only just caught up on a post from Pepe after P.I.R, he asks what was I thinking, or doing for that matter, trying to un lap myself by chasing him? well no actually, if your are lapped it's obviously because your slower, unlapping would prove nothing, but it is the opportunity to chase, and maybe improve your lap times, at the vey least it's more fun, :bigsmile: so that was it.  

Kayo above, in your post you mention you seem to be able to close down on braking, but the gap opens up again on acceleration, isn't that just a natural occurrence, under braking and accretion?, known as the concertina affect?, Just thinking.

Regards Tim.

P.S.  Hay Pepe, I know your not complaining, I just like to chase anyone, even if it is a lost cause, never stop racing mate, its just so much fun.

Edited by timbo, 09 October 2018 - 11:56 AM.

#19 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 644 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:43 PM

Tim, please understand that I wasn't complaining about your racing. You and I have gone through these dances joined as a couple as often as not. Mine, as I said, was merely a theoretical question. If I know you're faster on a track (e.g., Elkhart Lake), I'm going to let you by. On the other hand (e.g., PIR), your Honda isn't going to beat my BT24 on your best day. We know where we stand, usually at the end of qualifying. The other tracks on the schedule will give you, Ronnie, and me a chance to duel, just as we've been doing routinely for the last couple of years. At least we're learning not to run into each other.  :)

#20 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 08 October 2018 - 09:18 PM

Elkhart Lake is definitely one of my favourite tracks. The GPL rendition is excellent and with that in mind I wanted a good result here. Unfortunately I wasn't up to snuff. As has happened so many times this year I had a scare part way through and lost tire temp. From there things fell apart comically. Disappointed to say the least. The setups Roy and Michiel gave me were amazing- the pace was all there - just no execution on my end.

Mick and Alain ensured my race was an interesting one. Congrats to Claudio on his race - that's the one I wanted to drive. Now that he's ahead it will be a tough fight to see if I can stave off Alain and Mick till the end of the year.

Andrew

Sim Racing Links