• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 RaceFreek

RaceFreek

Chuck Curtis

• ADC
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 06:20 PM

Please post your post race stories here.

Thanks and I hope you had a great race.

Chuck

Race Replay   Thanks Bruce :)

Edited by RaceFreek, 21 July 2009 - 02:24 PM.

Anger is one leter short of Danger

#2 Greg Munch

Greg Munch

• ADC
  • 568 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 07:13 PM

Race list up and then gone?
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• VOR Open Wheel Series Admins
  • 361 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:08 PM

That was fun, 8 laps and I disco because Charter decieded earlier they wanted to put new cable in the ground the next neighborhood over
Posted Image
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

– Bruce McLaren

#4 RaceFreek

RaceFreek

Chuck Curtis

• ADC
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:43 PM

My race was over before it got started, I missed the start and them took my foot off the breaks and the car rolled past the red light at pit exit. :(\

Chuck

#5 stevie

stevie

Stephen Bailey

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:46 PM

Bit of a shame my engine blew, was starting to get to grips with these things! The engine blow was all my own fault at least, shifting down too fast after struggling to slow it down "normally". ;) Had a lot of fun battling up to fifth place after a difficult opening few laps. Unfortunately Pierre & co had already got a huge lead by the time I got up to fifth, but they had a bit more outright speed plus they were more way more consistent, or Wyatt's case, waaaaay more pace!

I owe Terry Fisher an apology, rejoined the track right in front of him after a coming to together with Ryan at La Source.

Edited by stevie, 20 July 2009 - 08:48 PM.

28. Stephen Bailey
Team SROL

#6 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:48 PM

Can we get a replay of the race uploaded please?

#7 JABowders

JABowders

• Members
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 08:55 PM

All in All pretty good, I had a few moments when the car acted like it had a mind of its own.

Started in back 20th with a stable drivable setup and finished 13th backend broke loose a few times near the end of the race, funny how happened... I need to learn how to make the car turn a bit easier, and turn under throttle, right now it pushes bad.

I would be open to run fixed Setups, as long as it was close to the default setup.

Soaking wet, sore arms, yea good choice... Thanks for the Racin'

James
Head Weasel
Posted Image

#8 John Basara

John Basara

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:08 PM

That was pretty damn cool :)  I completely got my fuel all wrong and ended up finishing with 20 liters still in the tank but oh well.  It was pretty cool to be fighting with Pawel and Mona at different points in the race.  My favorite bit was drafting Pawel out of Eau Rouge with his car throwing sparks out the back all over me just like the good old days of F1 :)

BTW, the mirrors are junk.  I'm going to see how much trouble it would be to bring them into 3dmax and redo the mapping coordinates.

John
Posted Image

#9 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 20 July 2009 - 09:44 PM

The week was great...practice was great...setup helping was great....qualy was great...race was great...
Well done Chuck/TJ/Ryan: I think we scored a TD/Homerun/Goal...whatever :thumbup:
Youīve done n outstanding effort to put it all together, and it worked just fine!
This mod is great and I am sure it deserves a full season with the VOR drivers.

As for my race, started 10th, dropped 2 and climbed back until 5th place during first stint.
But my race pace was compromised almost 1 second per lap in the first stint, due to 2 back-punts Iīve got...
Then I got one at the pits (!!!) and one during the second stint, that took me another second...
So I was racing 2 seconds slower than during practice...
I see I got some 8 seconds behing the 5th/6th/7th group, so if it werenīt for that punts Iīd be in that battle too...
But it was really fun, I did pass some drivers in track (and was passed by some...), so it was just Another Racing Monday Night at VOR!! :rolleyes:

Some thoughts:

1. Letīs try a full race with no pits for the next event...not even repairing should be allowed...
2. I suggest a kinda punt rule for this mod when this thing get serious, as they do in another league, where you gotta do a drive thru if you punt someone in the back, or else you lose your points in the race and start from the pits in the next race...
3. Iīd also suggest only 2 drivers per team...

Thanks again Chuck/TJ/Ryan: youīve done it right!
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#10 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:12 PM

If no repairs are allowed then that pretty much ends it for quite a few, as hard as this mod is to drive...

#11 Pawel Korbel

Pawel Korbel

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:41 PM

My few observations.

These cars are awesome, and we all would have much more fun if everybody showed up prepared for the race.  It's extremely important in these cars how to maximize braking.  Some guys braked too early and with fast closing speed it was dangerous.  Also new guys should read VOR rules and know how we race here.  I've been punted out of the track and no GR given, and this was a fun race.

VOR rules are good, except one for F1.  Because of lack of head lights lapped traffic should get of racing line for lapping cars.  Guessing is fatal here.

This mod will be run in off weeks, not even once a month (am I right?).  We won't have much time to get intimate with these cars.  I think we can get closer racing, and safer, if we close the car setup.  Everybody likes the default setup, it's really good.  Otherwise guys good with setups will always run away.  Guys that suck with setups will always waste time playing endlessly with them, losing practice time.  Off course things like steering lock, brake bias, gearing, fuel, and maybe toe for stubility should be allowed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 RaceFreek

RaceFreek

Chuck Curtis

• ADC
  • 380 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 11:46 PM

Please keep the comments and suggestions coming as this will help us to better the series. I only wish I had not been a bonehead and got to start the race.

We will be doing another test race on 8/20  Track TBA.

View PostPawel Korbel, on Jul 21 2009, 04:41 AM, said:

This mod will be run in off weeks, not even once a month (am I right?).  We won't have much time to get intimate with these cars.  I think we can get closer racing, and safer, if we close the car setup.  Everybody likes the default setup, it's really good.  Otherwise guys good with setups will always run away.  Guys that suck with setups will always waste time playing endlessly with them, losing practice time.  Off course things like steering lock, brake bias, gearing, fuel, and maybe toe for suitability should be allowed.

Can we have a fixed setup that allows the gearing to be changed?

Thanks
Chuck

Edited by RaceFreek, 20 July 2009 - 11:50 PM.

#13 John Basara

John Basara

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:03 AM

View PostPawel Korbel, on Jul 20 2009, 08:41 PM, said:

This mod will be run in off weeks, not even once a month (am I right?).  We won't have much time to get intimate with these cars.  I think we can get closer racing, and safer, if we close the car setup.  Everybody likes the default setup, it's really good.  Otherwise guys good with setups will always run away.  Guys that suck with setups will always waste time playing endlessly with them, losing practice time.  Off course things like steering lock, brake bias, gearing, fuel, and maybe toe for stubility should be allowed.
I don't think you can pick which parts of the setup to close and what not.  And honestly, if it's fixed setups I probably won't run.  I like the idea of not wasting a huge amount of time fiddling with this and that but everyone has a different wheel/pedal combo and different dead zones and all that, besides driving style.  I think people end up tuning the car as much for driveability as they do for speed.

In terms of scheduling, I wish we'd have more races.  It's just nice to not have to bother about fuel usage and boost for a change.  I'd honestly like to see one F1 '91 race for every GT and 4-class race so it would be once every three weeks but I don't know how Bruce would feel about that :)

Also, I'd probably lower the damage to 25-50% or so.

John
Posted Image

#14 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:06 AM

Replay posted in first post above
Posted Image
Posted Image

#15 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 12:24 PM

A deeper thought over some aspects...

1. SCHEDULE.
I donīt think it would be nice to Bruce to run a F1 series in parallel with GTS/LMC.
We could do it during break weeks and/or ERL events.
Those that donīt race ERL (my case and many othersī...) would have fun all year long...
Weīd have plenty of time to test setups, etc...

2. TRACKS.
GP79 track pack is very fps friendlly and good to F1 cars (NO MONACO, PLEASE!!!).
LMC tracks from the seasons already ran or in progress would also make it easier for drivers, as theyīd already know them.
NO GTS tracks, please...

3. NO FIXED SETUPS
Although Iīm not an expert setup maker, the big joy in simracing is when you try to make your car go faster and...it does!
Fixed setups may not work for some drivers, as wisely pointed by Basara.

4. CARS, TEAMS AND SKINS
There are 36 cars in this mod...18 teams, ONLY 2 drivers per team.
I think we should limit the grid in this number, that I think is big enough as a F1 race with so many drivers never took and never will take place anyway...
So it should be a "first come first served" registration, and from the 37th driver onwards there would be a waiting list just like on ILMS.
If you want to let more than 36 drivers we have 2 options:
a. allow doubled cars, or...
b. use the skins at rFactorcentral (there are skins posted at the F1 91 LE link...), but that would mean downloading skins...updating them, etc...etc...(I donīt like this idea...)

5. SCORING POINTS
Sugestion: 1 point for Pole, 1 point for fastest lap, and points for the best 12 places (15/12/10/9/8/7/6/5/4/3/2/1), even for DNFs...

6. PUNT RULE
PUNT is defined as when the nose of your car makes contact with the back of the car in front of you, making it go offline or offtrack, causing significant damage and/or loss of position.
The PUNTER have to do a drive through within the next 2 laps following the punt (a variation of our GR...).
It would be a voluntary drive trough (no one would tell you to do so during race).
Failing to do so will result in a post race loss of 1 lap to the punter.

7. PITTING
I like the freedom of choosing race strategy...its up to you to pit or not to pit...thatīs the question...
But if you want to make it like the real 91, so no pitting, maybe only for repairing (how is it done to have not fuel added or tyres changed?)

...still thinking about other things...
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#16 RaceFreek

RaceFreek

Chuck Curtis

• ADC
  • 380 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 02:20 PM

View PostBoniPiket, on Jul 21 2009, 06:24 PM, said:

1. SCHEDULE.
I donīt think it would be nice to Bruce to run a F1 series in parallel with GTS/LMC.
We could do it during break weeks and/or ERL events.
Those that donīt race ERL (my case and many othersī...) would have fun all year long...
Weīd have plenty of time to test setups, etc...

We can not get in the way of or take the place of any GTS/LMC/ERL league races and all participants of this series must race in one of the GTS/LMC or VOR GPL divisions

Chuck

Edited by RaceFreek, 21 July 2009 - 02:22 PM.

#17 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 03:34 PM

View PostRaceFreek, on Jul 21 2009, 02:20 PM, said:

We can not get in the way of or take the place of any GTS/LMC/ERL league races and all participants of this series must race in one of the GTS/LMC or VOR GPL divisions

Chuck
Thatīs what I am saying, Chuck...but Monday night after the ERL event wouldnīt be fine?...just like we did yesterday?
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#18 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• GPLVOR
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:01 PM

First the mirrors...mine are just fine thanks...and scrolling through all the other cars in replay, they all work fine.  I don't see an issue at all.  

Because of lack of head lights lapped traffic should get of racing line for lapping cars.

I disagree.  While it's the norm in RL F1...doing the exact opposite of what we've come to do/expect in the Sportscar div might be detrimental.  

I'll just copy/paste/edit LDB's post on some other points...

1. SCHEDULE.
Sportscar off weeks are good.  Maybe step up frequency a bit once Sportscar season ends and goes to break.

2. TRACKS.
I like the deal we run on previously run tracks from the Sportscar division...they are tried and trued, already on the server and most people's HDD.  
I don't know why you would throw a blanket over all the GTS tracks and just rule them all out...seems illogical...some tracks we've run with both series...    :unsure:

3. NO FIXED SETUPS
As a casual/time restricted racer (also read as: guy who loathes practicing)...I'm not opposed to fixed (default) setups at all.  Why not do a test race with fixed sets?

An another hand...regarding 2 and 3 above...  I've always wished for a league race format where the venue is not announced until an hour before qually.  Show up at 8:00 when that weeks track is loaded and practice starts.  Level the playing field a bit for those guys (me) who don't/can't turn 400 practice laps during the course of the week.  Not too mention how unrealistic it is to run that many practice laps.  Just 60 minutes practice to dial in a setup and go.  We condense a full GP weekend into 3 hours.  Bring it.  :flipa:

4. CARS, TEAMS AND SKINS
I agree with LDB on this one.  Only two of each chassis...it just looks cool...and much easier to know who is who.  36 cars is still a hell of a nice grid.

5. SCORING POINTS
If running for points...which I didn't think was really a priority...just keep with Sportscar div points system.

6. PUNT RULE
Standard VOR rules/penalties.  

7. PITTING
Going to have to allow tire changes I think.  Why not fuel too?  Worked fine last night.  Strategy can still come in to play.  Fuel light or heavy for first stint.  If heavy, one could pit early if in traffic and get some clear track...hopefully leapfrog the car(s) you were 'stuck' behind.  If fueled light at start, could overtake more with lighter car to get track position.  Etc, etc, etc...
Regardless on fuel...not being able to get a new set of tires would just suck arse if you happen to get a flat or just plain wear out a set.

I'd be game to give those F BMW's a go too...but I love the sounds of these 91 cars.  Gives me wood. :P  

Anyway...thanks to Wyatt for posting that setup yesterday and grats on the win.  It was a fun race back in the pack.  A few nice little battles for position.  Good stuff   :thumbup:

#19 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:39 PM

Well Mike, Iīm just throwing out some ideas... :idea:
I mentioned a PUNT rule because Iīve raced in a GP79 league that had it, and we had almost NO contact during races, which is good for open wheelers...people calm down a bit...but standard VOT GR rules is fine too, as long as we lower damage percentage..

My mirrors are good...no issue...

GTS tracks seems a bit narrow for a 36 F1 grid, IMHO...

About the passes...hum..Iīm still in doubt...the 4 corners rule works fine in ILMS, but here things are a bit different...

Points are for a future championship, if any...if there arenīt going to be one but only fun races, IīM IN TOO!!!

Fixed setups are not the same to everyone, but we sure should test a race with it, allowing brake bias and steering ratios change only, and assuming Wyatt/Scott/Paw el & Co. do the fixed ones!! :alien:

:beerchug:
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#20 Ryan Mayfield

Ryan Mayfield

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:40 PM

View PostMike Bennett, on Jul 21 2009, 06:01 PM, said:

An another hand...regarding 2 and 3 above...  I've always wished for a league race format where the venue is not announced until an hour before qually.  Show up at 8:00 when that weeks track is loaded and practice starts.  Level the playing field a bit for those guys (me) who don't/can't turn 400 practice laps during the course of the week.  Not too mention how unrealistic it is to run that many practice laps.  Just 60 minutes practice to dial in a setup and go.  We condense a full GP weekend into 3 hours.  Bring it.  :flipa:

Well, the track must be one recently run here at VOR. Although not everyone's schedules allow them to be there to start practicing the minute the track is announced. Good setup makers may have more knowledge of what to do right away and have maximum time for practice, but that will be the case no matter what the format. But overall, due to the delicate yet extreme nature of these cars, it may not be enough time for some.

Edited by Ryan Mayfield, 21 July 2009 - 04:41 PM.

Sim Racing Links