Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts
  • Interests:Video making.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:22 AM

Bogged down during start...

Got honda's for dinner in T1

tried to keep...

And then got disturbed by a phonecall which made do a mistake and hat was it!
Link to my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube....kKK6ri1wDsYF9qA

Video of each race will (usually) premiere Saturday at 11pm GMT

#2 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:10 AM

My TV gave me black screen before the last lap ( a kind of pause  ? ) .  Blinded , I touch the pitwall in front .  Afraid about the repair cost..  Picture came back just moving the mouse !!!!  Another beginner fault .
visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#3 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 10:35 AM

What a shame, Francois, and the race all but over.  :(

I have a good relationship with this track, but the past week brought a family emergency of two different kinds and I had almost no time to practice at all. In the on-line session before qualifying I put Don Dodge into the hospital. He'll probably sue me. In the first ten minutes of qualifying I knocked Niky into the next county with a collision in T1. I had hoped my days of hammering the poor guy were over, but apparently not yet. He'll probably sue me too. When the dust settled, I think 0.14 seconds separated Ronnie, Tim, and me on the grid. That wasn't much of a surprise; 0.14 has been separating the three of us for the last three seasons.

I did get a bit of a jump on Tim's Honda with my Cooper at the green flag, but as we approached T1, he had recovered and unless one of us blinked, we were both going to finish the race in an emergency room. I voted to back off. A few laps later coming out of T1 I completed a 360-degree spin without hitting anything or anyone, dropping me from 7th to 9th behind Rudolf and Bo. There I stayed, slowly losing ground to Bo and slowly gaining ground on Roberto. But for Francois' bad luck I would have finished 9th.

The Vultures have been flying with some seriously clipped wings for half the season, so today's finishes for Bo and me without any major damage reports was a relief. If we can keep going like this for another week or two, the quality of the road kill that we can bring back to the nest should improve dramatically. It's really discouraging to lose a fight for a flattened field mouse to a worthless crow.

Edited by Pepe Higdon, 17 August 2019 - 10:37 AM.

#4 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 332 posts
  • Interests:Kart racing, Classic motorcycles, Motor sports.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:00 AM

Hi guys,  well that was a lonely race, as Pepe said we went into turn 1 almost together, I was just about to back out of it when he slowed a fraction before me, managed to stay with Ronnie for a few laps, but he was chasing another Honda ahead of me, then I noticed half way round the lap they were side by side, that went on until t1 on the next lap, unfortunately for Ronnie it was him who lost out, so it was a steady drive to the end, until lap 31, a back marker I was about to lap was finding it hard to move out the way, see replay, unfortunately we touched, I think his race ended there, sorry if you feel badly about that, but you were weaving in all directions.

Regards Tim.

#5 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,101 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:02 AM

This track has been rough for me in the past.  Needed to be easy and consistant (in the Honda) in order to help pay for damaged team cars.
Didn't put a wheel wrong pre-race or in Qualify so I felt finishing was possible.  At T1-L1 a Honda and a Cooper had a coming together. I was first on the scene , luckily it was after the crest so I had a small window to get by. The Honda was barely moving against the outside fence and the Cooper had just finished a jump and multiple spins. I had started in the outside lane. I moved as far as I could to the outside but couldn't go on the grass because of the Honda. I missed the Cooper by a bit more a tire width.
     I had already lost touch with the peloton, so I settled in to do consistant(but slow) laps.  Tames was leading with a huge break-away by the time lapping started. Made my only mistake after I slowed for my teammate  to lap me and hit my brakes for T1 a bit late.  Slight damage to the car. Happy to finish.
Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,901 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

enjoyable race.. mostly. i had the BRM (BoRacingMachine) in a ton of practice and even got down to 46.5 in practice.
turns out p5 was my starting spot and i was quite pleased.

at the green (wow, FAST drop!) i got good traction and got level w/ p4 Dulima... approaching T1 i "thought" for a moment i was clear of him, but at the very last moment, i saw his wheel to the right and i knew contact was about to happen - i jinked hard left to avoid and of course slid right off into the rail :P  and lost 4 or 5 places :(    that pretty much decided my race.
i came back on to chase Rudy for 100 laps... i out qualified him, i was faster, in all places except where i might overtake :D   and so it continued....  Then Ronnie came up on me, and tho i tried to hold him off, he had his Ferrari dialed in and was by me on the straight.

ended up p7 and considering how bad it MIGHT have been... i'm happy!

grats to (who won?) oh, right TAMES :o   and the podium boys....
off to NY's Watkins Glen ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#7 Mateusz Metz

Mateusz Metz

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • Interests:Muay Thai

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostMK3424, on 17 August 2019 - 09:22 AM, said:

Got honda's for dinner in T1

I was that Honda ;)

Well, my first race went really bad for me :(

During first week of preparations for it, I was driving in a mode "let's see how fast I can go, and maybe I won't crash".
Best time I did was 1m49.75s.
But then I've realized that I won't be able to drive through 34 laps in "maybe I won't crash" mode. So I switched to "let's put down safe laps" during second week, and I was racing with AI. I also knew that I will be able to qualify only during last 5 minutes of Q, so I also practiced doing 2 lap stints with low fuel.
Driving safely my best times slowed down - during this low fuel runs were around 1m50.50s.

Then I saw quali times from S21: http://oao-gpl.speed...6/Practice.html
And I realized that considering my slow quali time, best outcome would be to finish, without stressing out about positions at all.

Then during today's quali I've managed to put down 1m49.60s, which was the best I could do safely, and my best time on Zelt ever in Honda. That's the only good thing about this race for me :(

Then the T1 happened... I wasn't careful enough.

I had a clear right side during the braking zone to T1, I didn't expect Cooper to overtake from far behind.
Because I had a clear side through the whole approach to T1, my attention went asleep and I took the normal line through T1, then he suddenly blinked on the right.
I was too optimistic and should have watched my mirrors more closely and gone wide. That's it.

I'm sorry that I spoiled the race for guys behind my accident, like for Bob H, that needed to slow down to avoid damage and lost the touch with the pack.

Damn... I really wanted to avoid saying sorry after my first race :(

I was really excited, I thought I will be drained after the race... and I was left with all that unspent energy  :weight_lift2:

Edited by Mateusz Metz, 17 August 2019 - 12:04 PM.

#8 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 17 August 2019 - 12:57 PM

Very sad Francois, you had a good race going on and It happened on the last lap. What a shame. It could be your screen saver...
I thought you engine was giving you some problems after you passed me because I've been able to catch up on you after a few laps.

Had a good race overall. Had a very good start and was even catching T.Oud but it was useless to pass him with the time he made in practice (about 2 sec faster).
Had a near miss when passing T.AFX when the door closed with another car in front. Had to jump on the brakes and found myself onto the grass, but managed to recover.

Great pleasure

#9 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 17 August 2019 - 01:23 PM

Well, I felt rusty and slow as anything, but managed to qualify P6. There were some amazing times posted: Tames with a 1.43, Bo in Q5 with the BRM. Dulima was a second faster in the Ferrari than I was.

I had an average start, but managed to make up a place at T1 and I was into 5th. I then actually overtook someone (!!) and was in 4th for the next 8 laps. Dulima was pressing, but it seemed that I always had a better last corner, and he couldn't take me. Finally, he slipped by on the inside of the last corner, and he took 4th. However, I had the slipstream on him and I tried to take him on the inside of T1 - that was foolish!  I slid wide, hit the fence, ended up facing the wrong way. 3 cars passed. I was down in 8th, but kept plugging away. Inch by inch I closed on Bo and Rudy, who were battling away.  I closed up to Bo, but couldn't get past. Surprisingly, he span at the last corner, and I was through. However, Rudy was pulling away from me, but he span also, and I was up into 6th.  Then Tames came to lap me, but I somehow managed to lock up on the back braking zone and clouted the armco.  Fortunately, I was able to limp on.  Tim was ahead, but I only caught sight of him on the very last lap.  I crossed the line expecting to be 6th, but due to Francois' bad luck, I ended up in 5th place.

#10 Tomy AFX

Tomy AFX

• Members
  • 200 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:18 PM

i spun at mid-race on T1 because I was driving hypnotised .  After that , I can't regain anything on you Daniel .

It was my computer power settings :  in the sleep mode after 1 hour !!!!!   Same problem as Portland canam ( I was in 2nd place ) , i believed it was a disco ! :wallbash: ( exactly same issue at aintreeR and monza 2018 )   others were real discos with sound reving up.

* Please , make a notice to beginners " check your computer power settings " .  Thx

Edited by Tomy AFX, 17 August 2019 - 02:31 PM.

visit my site http://hoslotfrance.free.fr
  unpublished Gr.C and GTP 80's videos with pure sound !

#11 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 17 August 2019 - 02:56 PM

Bad luck Francois, glad you solved it tho ;)

Grats to Tames, Dan and Eduardo! Happy for Ronnie to get a top 5 result which he deserved after a lot of bad luck this season so far! :) Commiserations to the (early) retirements...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 17 August 2019 - 02:57 PM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#12 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 17 August 2019 - 03:04 PM

Congratulations to the winner and podium. Feeling very sorry for Francois! For me the race was a lot of fun as I was cruising from start to end without being challenged very much. I only made one fault when the door bell rang (I missed my braking point after Hela (T2) and hit the armco but had no damage). Otherwise was in control and did not take any risks throughout the race. I am happy that we are racing again after a looooong break :)

#13 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 801 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 08:49 PM

View PostMateusz Metz, on 17 August 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

Damn... I really wanted to avoid saying sorry after my first race :(

:)  Do you have any idea how many of us in our first races have had that exact thought? Yes, 100% of us, that's how many. So put today behind you, Mateusz. You did all the right things: practiced, looked up valuable information from earlier runs on the track, and now you swear to sin no more. We all swear that too, and mostly we mean it.

When the dust settles, we're just happy to have you with us. You'll enjoy Watkins Glen. The weather is beautiful there in the fall. And you'll have a fine finish with no bumps in the road. Nothing to it, right?

#14 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 17 August 2019 - 09:29 PM

Francois, if you still want to have your screen to go blank, do not use the power saving option but use the older "screen on off" option which blanks your screen after the specified time but doesn't blank it in GPL..
Try with 1 min. and run GPL to confirm it's OK.
Just type 'scr' (je ne connais pas l'équivalent en Français) without quotes in the search box. Works in Win7 and I believe it works with Win10

#15 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 17 August 2019 - 11:46 PM

You probably won't believe it, but this track felt pretty uncomfortable to me a few weeks ago. I kept crashing, missing brake points en spun lots of times. The key was to blend in the power in stead of slamming my right foot down. So many places here where full power in the Lotus makes you loose grip.
Robert's setup also made a big difference here. I still don't have a clue how he comes up with this magic, but it makes so much difference this season.
Only last week it all came together, and I began feeling more and more secure. I was surprised how much faster I was, finished right behind Eduardo. I was kinda tight on fuel in the end, but then the flag dropped when pribula showed 2 laps to go. Normally that shows 1 lap to go right? So I ended up just doing one more lap just to make sure. From my point of view a clean race, thanks all for letting me get by. See you in two weeks.

Edited by Tames, 17 August 2019 - 11:55 PM.

#16 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 03:16 AM

Video is edited and ready to go.. and now you can see me fail in 1080p... (unless youtube takes a long time to progress the high res)

https://www.youtube....h?v=ohMQSAFfdyg

#17 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 222 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 10:42 AM

Nice video as always Kayo. Now everyone can watch me screw up at Dr Tiroch on Lap 1 in HD!    ;-)   I didn't mean to scare you.  I was just trying to get control back.

The BRM is a great car if you know how to drive it. Which of course I don't know how to do. Put me in an Eagle and I'll eat you guys for lunch.  lol  in my dreams.

On to the Glen!
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#18 MK3424

MK3424

Kayo M.. Camera man

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:53 AM

View Postzzbusch1, on 18 August 2019 - 10:42 AM, said:

Nice video as always Kayo. Now everyone can watch me screw up at Dr Tiroch on Lap 1 in HD! ;-)   I didn't mean to scare you.  I was just trying to get control back.

The BRM is a great car if you know how to drive it. Which of course I don't know how to do. Put me in an Eagle and I'll eat you guys for lunch.  lol  in my dreams.

On to the Glen!

Yeah, sorry for punting you... i was hitting my brakes very hard... but then netcode took over and yeet you into the barriers..

#19 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,416 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 August 2019 - 03:26 AM

View PostTames, on 17 August 2019 - 11:46 PM, said:

Robert's setup also made a big difference here. I still don't have a clue how he comes up with this magic, but it makes so much difference this season.

I'm very pleased my setups help you. When I started again with GPL in 2014, did a lot of research about setting up and GPL physics. But only around 2016/2017 found out what I really liked and what worked for me. The main thing is keeping the tires in the right window, temperature and pressure wise, that way you will have always good grip and balance. I prefer to have the front tires slightly lower temperatures than the rears, and pressure wise trying to have 25psi (175kPa) all around. There's a lot of info to be found at srmz.net if one is interested to learn and to improve with setting up and GPL physics.

I'd say I can setup the car for the right balance and maintaining optimal grip for my driving style, througout a quali run, or a race. That said, it depends on your settings (linearity, hardware) and driving style if a setup does work for another person.

PS: I'm always open to share setups and replays with anyone, if one is interested ;) I might make a setup package coming winter with my setups since using a G25 (autumn 2017).

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 August 2019 - 04:09 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#20 Rudolf Goertz

Rudolf Goertz

• Members
  • 122 posts
  • Interests:music, motorsports, super-8 film, old racing bikes

Posted 20 August 2019 - 03:08 AM

Robert... what is "wrong" with you??? I mean... honestly: That is absolutely devastating when you say you started with GPL in 2014. I am not sure how I feel right now. It seems I have much more experience (in theory) than you but you drive rings around me while drinking a cold beer and reading a book or whatever... :Oo:  The only good thing is that I enjoy GPL so much that I don't care very much if I am one of the slowest drivers. But I would love to check out a setup from you: I could need one for a Ferrari at Glen71 :wiggle:

Sim Racing Links