GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 438 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 05 September 2020 - 10:56 AM

I don't have much familiarity with this track... about from Spirit of Speed :P

P8 is an okay-ish place.
I think I could have gone sub 1:53 if I wasn't being dumb crashing over the wall in the banking.

But I did get a lot of good luck at the start. I had a good getaway,
but in front of me there was a foursome going on which brought me into a sudden podium position.
I tried to keep up with Dag and Tom but I just couldn't keep up with them in this thing.
But I also had no disturbances behind, so it was a matter of driving it home. Or so, I thought.

A couple of laps later already and the names 'R Fleurke' and 'I Davies' appeared in my Pribluda
telling me that the race was far from done.
Nearing the halfway point Robert got by without issue. Iestyn followed closely after him,
but would later make a mistake at the banking, leading him to lose time and I could get back the position.

Initially he seemed to have lost pace so I could still hold on to P4. However, he got his act together towards the ending stages of the race,
and eventually bested me, so I got demoted to P5, which is where I would finish.
On one hand happy about the result, on another some minor disappointment.

Grats to Dag for a fine win, Tom for the podium and Robert for the recovery drive!
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 409 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:19 AM

Well I`ll be damned... I won.

Again very happy with Q , came within a couple of tenths of my PB and another frontline start was on the books. This time I was gonna play it a bit cooler but I got off the line pretty well and could attack the outside into T1 when I saw Robert flying past me in the mirrors and it went a bit quiet behind me. Couldnt believe it. Now I have told myself that I shouldnt freak out if I find myself leading one of these things all of a sudden so I was halfway prepared for something like this. Still , it was very tense the first few laps , I saw both Tom and Yannick behind me so I took nothing for granted. Knowing we had our backs against the wall with 3 koins to our team name didnt make it less tense either.

Tom kept me very honest the whole race and it took hard work to eek out some tenths here and there and eventually I had a gap of a few sec and could breathe a little. But lost some time in lapped traffic so the gap was back down to 2 - 3 sec at the end. My racepace was a bit disappointing compared to long runs in practice but it was consistent enough to bring it home in 1st place. Lol , what a day! :) Now I need a nap..

#3 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,870 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:33 AM

Roy hit me after the start...I had Dag on the outside so had to be cautious anyhow, especially after the start...

Was lucky to continue, around P12/13. Cost a lot of time to go through the field, also as I had some engine damage, was down on topspeed. Nevertheless did succeed with a clean recovery drive back to P3. Simply unlucky, but happy with my drive with an ailing car. The lack of topspeed made it hard to get a tow, so passing was even harder. Some good racing with Iestyn and Tristan amongst others. ;)

Grats to Dag for a faultless drive, and Tom for a well deserved podium. As said, some good racing. Well done finishers, bad luck DNFs.
Posted Image

#4 Tom Oud

Tom Oud

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 11:50 AM

Well that was surprise! I was definitely not expecting to end up on podium.

Had a pretty clean getaway and, after Roy and Robert's crash, was able to keep up with Dag for a couple laps.
Lacked top speed, so it was very difficult to get close enough to make a move for first place.

About halfway through the race I realised I could easily bring home a P2 if i didn't make any major mistakes... immediately after that, I hit the wall under braking and spun...
Got away with it luckily, only set me back about 5 seconds.

Congratulations Dag! Great job on keeping your cool

#5 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 12:22 PM

I couldn't battle for any position due to a strange lack of topspeed. Even I couldn't fight the position of Michael Lowery, that was in a BRM. I really don't know what happened that I had 4-5 less km/h than other Brabhams...

Finished in tenth mostly bored...

Congrats Dag for a great victory and also congrats to Michael Lowery who was very fast and consistent with that BRM!

See you the next!

Marcos
Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 05 September 2020 - 04:24 PM

Start went well for me, whatever happened up front gave me a bunch of spots. With the BRM being a pig to slow down and accelerate and three hard stops along the track that was always going to be short lived. Problem is that I'm foolish enough to try and put up a fight, so I'm dicing with two Brabhams and unintentionally make contact with a Ferrari that tried to tag along around L8. Sorry to whoever that was, as I said I was busy telling Brabhams apart by their numbers in my mirrors.
Fell back to P14 where Carlos and John where keeping me on my toes, all looked rather stable over the mid third of the race and with 10 laps to go it looked like I had taken the fight out of Carlos who was my closest competitor. Somewhere though he found speed and was on my tail again with 8 laps to go and by the end of the lap he passed me into T7. I chased after him down the front stretch and he lost his rear going into T1 sending him wide. I went down the inside and we both exited out the corner side by side. I figured he was much further back and I had a free path to the outside rail. In fact Carlos was halfway up my car, with the aforementioned rail pinching his exit to the right. That is a long way to say that we made contact, I had a rear left puncture, not sure what happened to him. But I had to limp around 4 more laps to get the car home. I hope I didn't get in too many ways during those.
I just wanna race

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 05 September 2020 - 05:01 PM

As usual I decided to qualify on race fuel as I knew the Cooper was going to be completely outclassed here and the qualifying times of Frank and Dan in the other 2 Coopers just re enforced that opinion. So 14th on the grid it was...

Had a horrible feeling about T1 and was all the more careful off the line which meant I got jumped by a few drivers Doni, Michi at least, sure enough I saw the contact between Roy and Rob and made up all the places I had lost off the line by the exit of T1. Let the faster drivers through in the early laps which left Michi, me, Carlos and Dan bringing up the rear. Mounted a few challenges on Michi and Carlos was snapping at my gearbox as well, Eventually Carlos got the run out of T4 he needed and I rather feebly gave him the position into T5, I eased off for a few laps to catch my breath which bought Dan into play and we were never far  apart until Carlos and Michi had their coming together exiting T1 and gifting me 2 places which gave me the breathing space I needed. Watching the collision unfold ahead I expected Carlos to be carrying some damage and thought he would drop back but he was relentless and I had to go defensive a few times to ensure I kept the position.

I have to admit I had my reservations about this track but it made for great racing and it was a pleasure to be battling with Michi, Carlos and Dan for almost the whole race. Good clean driving guys. I'm well impressed.

Congrats to Dag for a well earned victory, Tom for keeping him honest and Rob for a hard earned 3rd place after the contact at the start.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 564 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:00 AM

Sorry my fault Robert! You braked earlier then i expected.

Qual didnít go as planned because i was fast enough for pole,
but unfortunately almost everytime someone was infront of me.
I need a couple of clean laps with low fuel and warm tires.
It didnt work out for me and that i hit Rob after the start did make my day even worse.
I drove from p18 to p6 and that was my day.
This is my worst season ever because i earned 3 points in 7 races time.
I will do my best next race and i think everyone knows that i can do better!

Again sorry Robert and everyone else at the start!
Grats podium

Edited by Roy, 06 September 2020 - 03:01 AM.

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 03:37 AM

No worries Roy, I was a bit cautious but it was after the start and had Dag at the outside....
Posted Image

#10 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,353 posts

Posted 06 September 2020 - 08:14 AM

View Postmcmirande, on 05 September 2020 - 12:22 PM, said:

I couldn't battle for any position due to a strange lack of topspeed. Even I couldn't fight the position of Michael Lowery, that was in a BRM. I really don't know what happened that I had 4-5 less km/h than other Brabhams...

Finished in tenth mostly bored...

Congrats Dag for a great victory and also congrats to Michael Lowery who was very fast and consistent with that BRM!

See you the next!

Marcos

After the race I discovered I had problems with my gear relations. Basically I used the gearbox more than necessary and that is losing time...

Edited by mcmirande, 06 September 2020 - 08:15 AM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#11 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 07:32 AM

Thank you, Marcos, for your kind words. It certainly helped me that you were driving a damaged Brabham with bad gear ratios!

Thanks to the many drivers -- Ed, Robert, Iestyn, Doni, Marcos, and especially Enrique (who spent several laps behind me looking for a way past) -- for the good battles during the race. I didn't willingly surrender any positions, yet we all drove cleanly and made no contact.

This circuit invites a variety of racing lines and good wheel-to-wheel racing. We should keep it in mind for the future.

Congratulations to Dag for his maiden win, to my team mate, Tom, for finishing 2nd and requiring Dag to drive a mistake-free race, and to Robert for his recovery drive to a podium finish.

Michael

#12 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 07 September 2020 - 09:47 AM

Congratulation Dag and Tom. Great burn from the stern from the master.

#13 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 747 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 07 September 2020 - 10:16 AM

Was happy with my Q time, but only 5th with very fast times at the top.

There was a fast starting Brabham (thought it was Yannick but it was actually Mati) behind me so we were three-wide before T1. Having practiced the inside line start, I was cautious and when Roy/Rob came together in front, I took too long to decide where to go, and went deep bumping Roy twice, falling down the grid. A shame, as I was confident of sticking with the top guys, even if passing Dag/Tom would have been hard.

Climbed back through the field following Rob and even almost passing him at one point, his car slow on the straights. There was a good battle with Yannick, with an up and under, block pass and more side-by-sides. I was surprised by his early braking into T5 and had to throw the car up the inside, wheels locked, and came to the perfect position to pass at the apex.

Rob had gotten a few seconds clear now and I understeered with a hot right front into the banking. Only one minor report it seems, but the wheel was bent to the right. Yannick re-passed and I was looking back to see if I could stay ahead of Roy. But after a few laps, I stabilised the pace and started to catch back up to Yannick. By the end I was lapping as fast as before, and re-passed Yannick for 4th.

Grats to Dag for his first win, Tom for a strong podium finish and all finishers at the site of the 1936 & 1937 Vanderbilt Cup (won by Nuvolari and Rosemeyer)!
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#14 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,870 posts

Posted 08 September 2020 - 10:39 AM

View PostEd_Cullen, on 07 September 2020 - 09:47 AM, said:

Great burn from the stern from the master.

Aye aye, captain  :ozbeer:
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links