• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 12:57 AM

Hi all

If you havent heard of this patch it was developed by Olaf Lehman as an online patch that introduces some stuff into the race enviroment that I find very exciting. Tirewear , dirty tires effect and a repair \ tirechange option

Sadly it doesnt work with the US version of gpl but it can be fixed with some .exe editing.

We (me and a couple of buddies) have a league going on thursdays and we are gonna introduce this patch when our fall season starts in august. This will be in pro mode.

If there are any drivers who are either fans of this patch or curious about it all are welcome to join and try it out. As far as Ive gathered no leagues run this patch now , I know EOLC used it some years ago but in INT mode wich enabled shift+r. We intend to race it in pro mode without shift+r. Its an experiment so to speak to see what this patch delivers and what it can do to the race dynamics in general.

Its fair to say this patch doesnt make gpl any easier , quite the contrary. Laptimes are slightly slower on avg and there will be a tirewear aspect to the races that most drivers arent used to and that has to be considered. The dirty tires effect is also something that will catch us out as grass and gravel will have an effect on the grip for a few corners / seconds. These two effects are the only ones that will be directly felt by the drivers in the actual races , the repair/tirechange option is there if its needed but with a clean race or minimal damage it wont be used much. But its nice to have it. Its very much in keeping with the spirit of the 60`s , finish at all costs even if youre a lap or two down. A blown engine cant be fixed and drivers must get the car to the pits in order to repair. Throw in a 80 % race completion percentage to score points and we have ourselves a total nightmare of online racing.

Its all about enhancing the race dynamics. Dirty tires will create situations and overtaking opportunities that werent there before. Tirewear might change things around in the latter stages of the race depending on how you drive the car. And an accident doesnt necessarily mean youre out. It will cost time but its possible to stay in the race. Short of blowing the engine that is.

This patch has sparked some controversy in the past and thats not my intention here , its only an invite to any driver who is curious and who wants to try something different and new. Skill level and pace isnt important here. Allthough its probably a patch that more seasoned drivers will gravitate towards as it makes it all a bit more tricky and difficult.

So the testing ground for this patch will exist from august and we intend to drive a test race in early june to see how it works.

Edited by D_J, 03 June 2018 - 02:46 PM.

#2 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 432 posts
  • Interests:Guitars, motor racing, 20th century European history, LARPing.

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:29 AM

It sounds most interesting.

#3 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 03:45 AM

Keen!  I like the idea.  Keep us informed, Dag.

#4 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 April 2018 - 05:10 AM

Will do guys. Uploaded the patch for download as well , its in the original post.

The test race is set to thursday June 7th , 2000 CET via VROC. The venue is Kyalami.

We race in 60 fps so its worth mentioning that the dirtgear patch also delivers 60 fps so there is no need to run the 60v2 and the 60v2newmod alongside it.

The patch is set so that if the host is running it you wont be qualified to join if havent activated it in GEM , thus ensuring everybody race under equal terms. The readme file enclosed in the download explains stuff very well.

You can also run Lee`s pitstop patch alongside the dg patch. Note that if you stop for repair the pitstop patch will automatically refuel the car to the level set in the set up menu. This opens up the strategy window for anyone who wants to go that route but in a zero stop format I doubt there will be that much to gain by running a lighter car with less fuel and stopping once in 45 minutes. But the option exists.

Edited by D_J, 28 May 2018 - 01:40 PM.

#5 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 28 April 2018 - 07:04 AM

Thanks Dag. I've tested earlier versions of the dirtgear patch before at GPL Weekly in online races, also in UKGPL. Indeed it is a challenge, and fun. Olaf deserves more attention and praise.

#6 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 29 April 2018 - 04:47 AM

Indeed he does Robert. I agree.

The best way to reckognize his work is to employ his patch and put it to work. As a "new" league on the block it makes sense to offer a different and possibly unique race concept as well.

Hopefully it creates fun & entertaining races to drive for everybody.

http://freeleo.hu/we...&race=201806070

Edited by D_J, 29 April 2018 - 02:57 PM.

#7 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 02:47 AM

We now have a training server running on VROC with the dirtgear patch. Servername :F1historicES.  The patch you need to activate in GEM is "pitstop7(dg)_13_nobb" if you are running a 1.3 version of gpl.  If you are running gpl 1.2 run the patch called "pitstop7(dg)_1202_nobb".

_nobb = no brake balance controller. However I have discovered you can connect using the pitstop7(dg)_13 patch as well and that allows you to manually adjust the brake balance of the car during the race. Since both patches are accepted we leave this to the drivers to decide for themselves. Brakebalance is shifted using the raise arm and view pitboard buttons. Can be shifted front to back or side to side.

60 fps is included in the patch so its not reccomended to run the 60 fps patches alongside the dg patch.

Feel free to test and let me know if there are any problems.

Edited by D_J, 25 May 2018 - 04:54 AM.

#8 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 4,959 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:38 AM

Hi there, Dag!

I tried the patch on a fresh install this very morning and had varying results depending on which patch I employed.  First, I tried the '1202' version and that got me to the the main page of GPL but no further.  Striking the green button to access a track = malfunction.  Sim just sat there ignoring the strike.  I was able at least to access all menu pages within GPL.  Next, I tried the '13' version and that actually got me into the track.  However, on striking the green button to go to pit lane, there was a brief instant of the car flying through the air before a CTD.  Several attempts netted the same results.  Any ideas as to how to correct?

For sure, I do not have any other fps patch loaded.

#9 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:55 AM

Hey

The 1202 didnt work due to the version of gpl you are running. The flying crash thing is strange and might it have something to do with pit rails or no pit rails? Right now the track on the server has pit rails. I experienced something similar on historic rouen with the narrow vs wide pit lane. I tried it earlier and it worked just fine but Im running the same track version. If so we can test another track.

update : hi again Don , Ive tried connecting with both 13 patches and it went fine. We changed the server track to the original track and that worked fine as well. Shouldnt be any conflicts. Try it again at some point and let me know cause Im at a loss as to why you would get that coming onto the track. But I think its more track than patch related. If it wont work itself out we need to try a different track.

Whats CTD?

Edited by D_J, 25 May 2018 - 08:48 AM.

#10 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 618 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 25 May 2018 - 10:57 AM

CTD = crash to desktop
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#11 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM

I see , thanks.

Well there is no official race with this patch until august so that gives ample time to sort out any snags.

One being that we have been running an older version of the patch. Here is a link to the latest one wich is called pitstop71(dg)

https://drive.google...mv2By7UcqTEp6Cp

In that compressed file there is a patch called "pitstop71(dg)_13" and thats the one thats running on the server now.

Sry about that.

Edited by D_J, 25 May 2018 - 11:13 AM.

#12 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 07:48 AM

Concering tirewear : As it stands now over at VROC our server is set to pro short mode with a race consisting of 33 laps. That means racelength goes beyond the expected lifespan of the tires. This is a test.

Me and my buddy Andrè drove a full race stint each , he drove the ferrari and I drove the brabham. He experienced somewhat more drop off and loss of grip than me and his laptimes increased with a couple of secs in the last stage of the race. Mine increased more like a sec in the brabham. The wear effect itself kicked in after 17 - 18 laps for my part. Still it was fully drivable and managable. Could push pretty hard all the way to the flag.

So the server might change back to pro long at some point, wich would double the lifespan of the tires and render wear more or less uneffectful during a 45 min race. We are kind of in between as it stands now, Im nagging my friends to increase races to 1 hour but they feel its a little long.  Lets see what happens.

Edited by D_J, 28 May 2018 - 11:04 AM.

#13 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2018 - 05:35 AM

So the concept is moving along.

Since its strictly not a oAo issue I will link to the "dirtgear" thread at SRMZ and a link to our new forum. Discussions and development continues there.

http://srmz.net/inde...180#entry133398

http://www.gpl1967.dk/GPLDK/forum.php

Sim Racing Links