Vor Sportscars Safety Rating

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

As noted, below are the plans for the VOR Sportscars Safety Rating.  Please review and ask any questions.  

We have made a few modifications to the process in the effort to encourage safe and clean driving.
- Safety Ratings are now combined for GTS and LMC, and we plan to continue these into future seasons (we'll use rolling averages so most frequent events are weighted heavier)
- Drivers with Safety Ratings greater than 4.0 are put on "Watch" status.  As long as their rating trends down (gets lower), there is no issue.  If it goes up, they will be put on probation until it goes back down.
- Drivers with Safety Ratings greater than 6.0 will be put on probation until their rating falls below 6.0.
- Drivers with Safety Ratings great than 8.0 will be suspended for 1 week.  When they return, their safety rating must decrease or they will be suspended again for 1 race.
- When a driver is on probation, If their rating goes up - they are automatically suspended from the next race.
- Drivers currently >8.0 will not be suspended however as long as their SR (Safety Rating) decreases.  As soon as the weekly average increases, it will go into effect for them.

Examples:
- Driver A has a Safety Rating of 2.6.  His average goes up after a race to 2.8.  No Problem.
- Driver B has a Safety Rating of 4.2.  He is on the Watch List.  Next Race his average goes to 4.1.  No problem, but still on the Watch List.  The next race it goes up to 4.3 - driver is on Probation.
- Since Driver B is now on Probation, assume his rating goes up to 4.4 - he receives 1 race suspension.  When he returns, he remains on probation until it goes down.
- Driver C has a 6.2 rating.  He remains on probation until it falls below 6.0.  If his rating goes up at any time, he is suspended for 1 week and remains on probation.  He is not removed from Probation until it falls below 6.0 (then he's on the Watch List).
- Driver D has an 8.5 rating.  1 Week Suspension.  Returns on probation, rating must drop or suspended again.

Key Points:
- We know this sounds harsh.  In reality, it's not.  Only drivers with a habit of causing incidents are in jeopardy.  We have 95 drivers with Safety Ratings.  3 > 8.0; 3 > 6.0; and 7 > 4.0.  And 4 of that 13 only have 1 or 2 races each (not active members).
- To further put this into perspective:
4.0 is the equivalent of one penalty every other race
6.0 is the equivalent of three penalties in four races
8.0 is the equivalent of one penalty every race
- Keeping your Rating low is not that hard.  We see drivers get on the Stewards Report most consistently for:
1) too aggressive (trying to make a pass when it wasn't appropriate, or being too aggressive in the Orange Zone)
2) being unpredictable (lapped drivers trying too hard to help faster drivers pass (remember, you have 4 corners... don't just dive out of the way))
3) failing to lock brakes when spinning causing them to roll unpredictably into traffic
4) rejoining the track unsafely with no regard for other drivers on track

This process (watch lists, probations, etc) will be going into effect starting post-Philip Island.  Please note the process... even drivers with ratings above the threshold are fine as long as their weekly trend is going down until they get below the thresholds.  The trend column will be added after this week's race review (Speedforce)

Link to Safety Ratings
Posted Image
Posted Image

#2 John Basara

John Basara

• Members
  • 908 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:32 PM

View PostBruce Fisher, on May 5 2009, 04:58 PM, said:

we'll use rolling averages so most frequent events are weighted heavier
Is it a logarithmic or a linear dropoff in weight?  I would prefer a logarithmic dropoff because I've basically had two bad races, Spa and Sepang.  Yet, I'm at 5.1 and it seems like I'd never appreciably negate the Sepang results, which was more than a month ago.

John
Posted Image

#3 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 08:13 PM

At this time it's not rolling anything.  I'm not sure the algorithm, we'll be looking into that soon.  Our thought is that the "high impact" races will be the most recent 8-10 races or so.

Remember, even though you are a 5.1 - you are OK as long as your average keeps going down.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 06 May 2009 - 06:07 AM

That´s a good system, I would only like to point a few things, if you don´t mind:

1. Drivers receive 1 point for being involved in an accident, EVEN if they are not guilty...
For example, you get a tap from behind, you´re send to the walls...and you get 1 point...
I think that if a driver is no gulity in that incident, he should receive no points, IMHO.

2. Sometimes it would be nice to ask a review from the Stewards decision...
I know this would be a tremendous issue for them, but there are ocasions when you are not guilty at all from an incident, and you got yourself punished without having the right to show your point of view...

Anyway, this Safety Rating is a nice and helpfull system!
:thumbup:

Edited by BoniPiket, 06 May 2009 - 06:08 AM.

Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#5 Jerry Daniels

Jerry Daniels

Jerry Daniels

• Members
  • 226 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:56 AM

View PostBoniPiket, on May 6 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

That´s a good system, I would only like to point a few things, if you don´t mind:

1. Drivers receive 1 point for being involved in an accident, EVEN if they are not guilty...
For example, you get a tap from behind, you´re send to the walls...and you get 1 point...
I think that if a driver is no gulity in that incident, he should receive no points, IMHO.

I think its still fair, even if you are an "innocent bystander" you still put your car there to get hit.  As long as this is the only type of point you get, then there will be no issues w/ this system....
And I agree w/ Luiz, I think this will really help cut down on issues going forward.

#6 Lynchmob

Lynchmob

• Members
  • 40 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:37 AM

View PostJerry Daniels, on May 6 2009, 01:56 PM, said:

I think its still fair, even if you are an "innocent bystander" you still put your car there to get hit.  As long as this is the only type of point you get, then there will be no issues w/ this system....
And I agree w/ Luiz, I think this will really help cut down on issues going forward.

I'm sorry, but I think that is complete horse crap.  At Spa I was the "innocent bystander" of  a guy who warped from 6 car lengths away into me at Blanchimont...resulting in me going head on into the wall at 145mph.  That's what the replay shows and that's what the stewards report said.  Using that logic...I was at fault because I was within 6 car lengths and put myself in the position to be warped into.  That stuck me with a point for a racing incident and has now driven my rating up.

I'm all about improving the racing here, and that means keeping the contact to a minimum.  But if the "league" thinks that punishing people who happened to be involved in an incident not of their own making is the way to do that...then perhaps it's time to find something more productive to do with my spare time.
Cameron Lynch

#7 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:41 AM

View PostJerry Daniels, on May 6 2009, 07:56 AM, said:

...even if you are an "innocent bystander" you still put your car there to get hit.  As long as this is the only type of point you get, then there will be no issues w/ this system....
Well Jerry, I kindly disagree in this point, and for that I´ll give you the example of "our" incident in Zolder...
It was Lap 1, T2, you were the driver ahead of me, I misjudged the braking point for that turn, hitted you SO HARD I´ve sent you off-track, damaging your car preety hard, you had NO FAULT at all, you were doing your line perfectly, braked in the right spot, then all of a sudden a crazy/stupid/maniac driver (me...in this case...) comes and hit you that way!!!
As I said, you had absolutelly no fault at all on that, your car was where it was supposed to be, but even though you got 2 points for MY mistake - 1 for BEING HITTED and 1 because it was an OZ incident...
My penalty was a well deserved one, but yours was too unfair, IMHO...
:rolleyes:
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#8 B_C

B_C

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:06 AM

Guys, I think you are getting worked up over nothing.  Cameron, in your case, you did get tagged for a point, but if that is all that happened, so what.  Your average is 1 (or less if you have several races under your belt), well clear of any discipline.  

I believe the intent is to track drivers who are always involved in some way.  If you are always being run into, enough to raise your average to a level of concern, don't you think that maybe a look in the mirror is warranted?  In order to be a concern, you would have to be the innocent victim 6 times a race.  Every race.  Seems unlikely, doesn't it?  Being involved in a large number of incidents isn't always someone else's fault.

This all comes from background that I have.  I used to have to investigate (unofficially, I'm not an investigator, just middle management) accident claims.  I was told that there was no such thing as an accident that the "victim" had absolutely no fault.  Now that seems harsh (and I believed so until I approached my investigation with this thought) but if you really drill down, a large number (not all) of accidents were contributed to by both parties.

So race clean, race fair and it won't be an issue.  But it will hopefully open the eyes of those that are too aggressive or forget that others are in this for good, competitive fun and don't want their race ruined by some bull in a china shop.  I think it's great that the Stewards are considering this and not afraid to make a point of it.
Bob Cowden

#9 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:30 AM

the above points are the reasons the Stewards opted for 1 point for being involved - even if innocent.

- 1 point is not significant.  You'd have to be involved in many innocent incidents every week to be a problem.
- if you are involved in many innocent incidents every week - then maybe you do have a problem.  Maybe your style is causing others to hit you too frequently...

Cameron's example is very unique and I can see his point.  This is a very rare circumstance though... and won't influence his average much at all.  I'm discussing with the stewards if we should drop that point (it was a technical issue on the part of the other driver).  Again - this is a very rare circumstance and in the big picture won't influence much at all.

In general, I do believe both drivers need to look in the mirror for most incidents.  Even one's where there is an "officially innocent" person - maybe that driver could have done something different to avoid it.  Look at many of our fastest drivers - they have very low ratings...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#10 Chris

Chris

• GPLVOR
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:58 AM

I'm assuming this was done in Excel - if so, would it be possible to make the actual spreadsheet available for download, for us data junkies?
Chris Chappell

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#11 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

yeah, I can probably do that... let me think it through
Posted Image
Posted Image

#12 Chris

Chris

• GPLVOR
  • 372 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Cool, thanks Bruce.
Chris Chappell

proudly sponsored by Cannon Simulation Technologies

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#13 VOR Race Stewards

VOR Race Stewards

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:51 AM

Post SpeedForce update posted

#14 Jason Quinn

Jason Quinn

• Members
  • 81 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 11:55 AM

Is there a way to do alternating white and gray rows so that there is some hope of following this chart across the screen?  I have extreme difficulties actually tracking myself because the newest races are off the screen to the right.  This means I have to scroll across and can no longer check to see if I'm on the right row.  Also, how about breaking it up a bit.  Right now it is farking huge.  How about adding copy of the top row somewhere in the middle of the list of drivers?

I realize that I don't really need to monitor my SR at this point, but I do like to check on it since it is posted, since it is nowhere near any sort of penalty.  Just some stuff I think would make the chart significantly easier to read.

Jason

#15 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:15 PM

thanks - we'll take a look at it
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 Jeff Daniels

Jeff Daniels

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

View PostJason Quinn, on May 10 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

Is there a way to do alternating white and gray rows so that there is some hope of following this chart across the screen?  I have extreme difficulties actually tracking myself because the newest races are off the screen to the right.  This means I have to scroll across and can no longer check to see if I'm on the right row.  Also, how about breaking it up a bit.  Right now it is farking huge.  How about adding copy of the top row somewhere in the middle of the list of drivers?

I realize that I don't really need to monitor my SR at this point, but I do like to check on it since it is posted, since it is nowhere near any sort of penalty.  Just some stuff I think would make the chart significantly easier to read.

Jason

Would it work to hide the columns of earlier races and perhaps just show the most recent 5 or some other agreed upon number rather than grey and white lines?

#17 Pawel Korbel

Pawel Korbel

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 02:45 PM

Is there a way to fix row one and column one to move with screen view?  I've seen it done with some spreadsheets.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#18 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:00 PM

works on the spreadsheet... but not when it's converted to HTML.  As noted above by Chris, I can start providing a link to the spreadsheet as well...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 Ionicplague

Ionicplague

• Members
  • 319 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:30 PM

I have a question, what's the critria to have a race counted?

The reason I ask is that it's listed that I've only had 12 races when I've been apart of every race (13) but I did get dropped from Zolder on the 2nd or 3rd lap but did make it through the orange zone the other laps without incident up to that point...

Thanks,

Jake W.
- Jake Witcher -

"...I made a jut to the left." - Garth Buchanan

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Bruce Fisher

Bruce Fisher

• VOR Admins
  • 4,500 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:37 PM

50% of race distance.  Or be involved in an incident.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links