6 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 346 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 19 May 2018 - 11:02 AM

Rather underprepared because I wasn't entirely sure if I could race.

I got my setup from last year and got going in the afternoon and noticed it could use a number of tweaks.

At qualifying I wasn't entire contend with it yet as I didn't match last year's PB.
So in the last five minutes I made a final tweak by changing the ramp angles to 60/45/1 and to my surprise I worked quite good.
Should I take a gamble in using it in the race, even though I have only used it for 3 laps? ... yeah, let's do it.

Good gamble I think. I am not sure if I would be faster if I stuck with 84/45/2.

So once again my 'start magic' kicked in again as I got well off the line and took two places.
At the Hangar Straight I also set me sights on overtaking Ed, but unfortunately I made contact when I tried to cross him through Stowe.
His Ferrari was warping quite a lot, making him rather unpredictable. I think this may have played some part in hitting him.
From my POV, he seemed to lose significant amount of speed as I tried to cross.
In any case, I think apologies are in order. Sorry, Ed. :(

So in one lap I made up three places and was looking to get the Eagle of Dag.
I seemed to gradually get closer, only for him to later pick up the pace and get away.
However, he made a spin coming out of Becketts so I took his position before reaching Stowe.

After that I spent pretty much the entire race trying to keep him at bay.
He got dangerous a couple of times and once managed to make a move, but I got to defend the inside.

So with that, finishing in P5. Teammate finished 4th, so a good result for the team :)
Let's just hope the D2 boys finally get a good result as well.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,500 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 May 2018 - 01:18 PM

In quali it wasn't easy to pull off clean laps, most laps were about managing the tires and balance for an ultimate effort. Anyhow pulled off a sub25 which was my aim. Another PB, but have to admit I ran wide at S/F after missing the apex at Woodcote.

Start was OK, made some tweaks after a poor practise start before the event. Held off Roy, and never looked back. Race was rather uneventful, lost focus after midrace, and had a couple of bad laps, but held it together. Iestyn almost stole fast lap, didn't realize it, but was planning to do a few fast lap attempts late race anyway. It was pretty close tho.

Iestyn was stuck behind Roy, but when he got past him almost had the same pace. Roy did great holding off Iestyn for that long, shame Roy went off after a nice crossover move a la Alonso. ;) Great drives throughout the field, a lot of consistency, with still 8 drivers in the lead lap, despite I was running the Lotus ;)

Grats Iestyn and Roy, well done finishers. Thanks to the lapped cars. Commiserations to the retirements, saw Alex blowing up his BRM engine. Sadly Enrique wasn't able to join the server through IP for some reason, very tough luck amigo :(

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 May 2018 - 01:31 PM.

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,729 posts

Posted 19 May 2018 - 04:14 PM

Despite a good start I had to fight the car for the first half of the race. By the time we came to an understanding, I'd spun 3/2 times lost pretty much all the ground I managed to make up in those first laps.
I just wanna race

#4 PeterA

PeterA

• Members
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 May 2018 - 04:54 AM

Hi guys,

Good to fun to do a race here again, it's been a while :-) Grats to Rob, I see not much have changed ;-)

Turning up in my BRM it was always gonna be a tall order to come away with anything in a field of this skill-level. So my main focus was to have some fun.. Thanks to some midfield scrabble Lowery and Ed ended up behind me in the first laps. Lowery quickly went by, Ed had a bit more trouble even though it was clear he was faster, so I tried to see if I could make a scrabble out of it. We had some good duels, but it ended when Ed made, what I can only refer to as, a bomb-dive from a dimension of which even Riccardio would probably be envious - luckily I saw the red missile coming as I turned in and straight'end out the beast to let him by and he was able to keep it on the tarmac and make the move stick. From there he left me in the dust and my only action consisted of letting by the leaders and keeping my pace up as Doni kept me honest all the way through. No game like GPL that still makes it fun even though you're on your own out there :-)

Cheers

Edited by PeterA, 20 May 2018 - 04:55 AM.

#5 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 214 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 06:48 AM

Grats Robert , Iestyn and Roy.  Strong pace up front!

Q was good , my best session so far in oAo and came within a couple of tenths of my PB and that brought me all the way to the 2nd row on the grid. :thumbs:

Race : not so good , came well off the line and had Iestyn on the inside so I went wide in T1 to let him by on the inside and the plan was to sneak in behind him but alas , I went a tiny little bit wide and had to go off the throttle and Tristan accepted that invitation without blinking so 1 place lost out of T1. I was still running well between Tristan in front and Yannick behind and 5th should have been the finishing result but sadly I mangaged to spin and once Yannick was ahead of me it was seemingly impossible to get a pass done without risking an incident. Still the best finishing result Ive had so far here in oAo and a good team result so all in all a good race (that could have been a little better... )

#6 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,543 posts

Posted 21 May 2018 - 10:22 AM

For Silverstone, I chose the Ferrari over the Brabham in which I had competed each of this season’s previous 6 races. I knew I’d be quicker in the Ferrari and I was. Superior horsepower usually pays dividends, in this case to the tune of about 6/10 of a second as compared to my personal best in the Brabham. I can’t say I ever really honed in on the Ferrari’s setup, however. It wasn’t terrible, just not perfectly balanced like the Lotus was in last year’s Silverstone race or the Brabham was two years ago. Given this, plus the fact that everyone knows this track intimately well, I didn’t expect much from the day – and the day didn’t disappoint. I qualified 7th with a time about 3/10s slower than my Ferrari PB.

Going into Copse on the first lap, connection lag from Ed’s car caused him to lightly tap me and forced me half way off the left edge of the track. As a result of that I immediately dropped back to 11th place. By the end of the lap I had passed Ed (who himself slipped off course at Stowe) and Peter (whom I out dragged toward Woodcote) to take 9th place. Several laps later, Michi looped it at Club, putting me in 8th. For the rest of the race I chased Frank, but was unable to get close enough to attempt a pass. For the second race in a row, the whole field must be commended for very professional consistency. Moreover, apart from one blown engine, there was NO damage inflicted upon any car in the race! When was the last time that happened?

Congratulations to the podium and to all finishers.

I am unable to compete at spa67, so I will catch up with you guys on track at brno49. I will still be available for the usual league duties, so I'll still see you in the forum.

Michael

#7 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,500 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 21 May 2018 - 02:19 PM

Great to see Peter back, but it's a shame Michael can't run spa67 :(

Sim Racing Links