S24 Kyalami

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 10:45 AM

https://www.twitch.tv/lalb2001 Actually forgot to share it, you can still watch the final laps :)

#2 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:15 AM

wow, this is what it looks like on your computer in game? So much nicer too what I am used to, how?

#3 PTRACER

PTRACER

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:30 AM

Congrats to the winners. You guys are on another level!

I qualified my Honda 8th with a 1'20.16 but everyone ahead was well into the 19s. I knew I couldn't beat anyone ahead of me, so my main goal was keeping ahead of those behind me. I gained a place when Lasse broke down and Mr. Bot also went off somewhere (down at Turn 1?), so I think I must have ran as high as 6th. T. Bot then caught me and we had a little battle for a lap or two which was good fun. The guys ahead just disappeared off into the distance and didn't fall off so I just kept managing my own pace, trying not to overheat the tyres and trying not to go off.

And so in my first proper online race in GPL in 15 years I managed to finish 7th. I'm really impressed with the quality of this league already, everyone was so respectful down into T1 and no shenanigans from what I could see. Hopefully I can join you for the next one.

Edited by PTRACER, 20 February 2021 - 11:31 AM.

#4 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:33 AM

Very professional performance at Kyalami. Only one DNF (Lasse with engine failure) and the consistency numbers are beyond belief!
Great way to start the season, guys. I am very proud of the league today.

Michael

#5 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 787 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:39 AM

What a perfect return to GPL for me! Finally fixing my windows 10 display issue (return to pits = black screen) this morning made GPL feel like a new game!

I dialled in my Barty Mee setup and initially wanted to best my old Ferrari PB of 1:19.3 in practice sessions. By Qualifying, I was hopeful of a 1:18 and wow was it close! 3 drivers covered by 0.03s. Very lucky to get pole in those circumstances. Impressive from Lasse on a controller as well - mind boggling pace! :alien:

The start went very well (my monitor's power cable had slipped out slightly after a sharp steering connection in the practice race had wobbled it; thankfully the car went straight off track into the barrier and didn't cause a pile up) and I felt like Seb Vettel setting a banzai lap 1 to 'break DRS', as he so often did in the Red Bull.

Last year I was in the position to win a few times and managed to mess up or be unlucky. This time I almost did it again. :bash:

Taking out 0.2 gallons (1 lb in weight, totally irrelevant) I thought I would complete the race in 18.5 gallons (so starting with 18.8 instead of 19). It turned out, after only the odd fuel saving moments that I used 18.6! I was so calm mid-race that the tyres were going blue (I've not driven that smoothly in a long time). But by the end, I was struggling for pace a little as I realised that I might actually be too close on fuel.

Lappers were great (Tames and Frank were locked in a battle!), and Tom closed in on the last lap, but sputtering up the hill I took the win by 0.6s; just a few hundred yards further and it would have been Tom's win!

Congrats all for such a high level race, some serious pace was shown in the slow cars, and a brilliant start to 2021. I'm glad Rob lets us have a chance every so often :sweatdrop:

Edited by Iestyn Davies, 20 February 2021 - 12:03 PM.

GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#6 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 11:42 AM

Hello all, I was to say the same than Michael. The level of today's race was superb not only for the times but also for the arrivals. Only one abandon and not due to a mistake. Just a (mostly) random blown engine. Bad luck...

Congrats to Iestyn and podium!

My race was pretty good. Did my PB in qualy (still don't know how) and it put me just in front of Dag with other BRM, in nineth position. Did a slight mistake in first lap and lost two positions. Eventually became 10th for an abandon and finished in that position with the car intact and in the lap of the winner :)

I was all the race following Dag. Not fighting because he was slightly faster than me and always with the four wheels on track. I knew that he had a "hammer time" that I didn't. In the second half of the race Doni started to approximate from behind and really had to push to keep myself in a safe 10th position.

Congrats and thanks all drivers for such a great race!

Marcos
Posted Image Posted Image

#7 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 5,229 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:06 PM

same as what Michael said~!
close racing, professional approach and respect ~ what more can a league admin hope for?
well done all
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#8 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 494 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:09 PM

What a thrilling start of the season.

I did not consider myself much of a contender today but I may have underestimated myself a bit.

Off the line I got Robert (who is playing Hardcore Mode this season, it seems) for P6 and I went to fight against Roy for fifth position.
After a few laps I got a very good run on him at the S/F straight, but towards the braking point he absolutely gave it all to keep his position. He barely made it through between me and Tristan,
but it unsettled me in the process. I got by Tristan as well, but it was only halfway through the lap I noticed he was no longer in the vicinity. I don't exactly know what happened, but I suppose there was warp contact. Sorry Tris.

After one hiccup I got overtaken by Robert though I managed to re-overtake him around the outside a couple of laps later.
Now it was a matter of chasing down Roy and Tom, but their pace was just a notch better so I couldn't get closer. My teammate Lasse had an unfortunate mech. failure which promoted me to fourth.
Roy got some trouble with a backmarker halfway through so I was within a second of him again, and I chased him up until the end of the race, but to no avail.
In the last lap, though, he had the trouble of dealing with two backmarkers who were fighting it out, and it almost gave me the opportunity overtake him, but he just about hung on.

Great to have the season started again, and how?
There has been some excellent driving according to the GPLRA, the front field is very competitive but almost perfectly balanced.
That's a promising sign for this season. See you next round.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 3,076 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 20 February 2021 - 12:45 PM

I can only echo the comments above. This was a showcase for oAo and GPL online in general! Well done all on such a high level race. :)

Before the race was hoping to be able to fight for a podium, but already found out pre-race the level of this field is simply too high. So I had to adjust my goal, and aimed for a top 6. In quali ran a 1m19.5s, a tenth of my BRM PB. Just good enough for P6.

Yannick got better off the line, so fell back to P7. After some laps the guys in front went almost 3 wide into T1 it seemed, and Tris lost out, giving me a position, P6. Then Yannick went out of shape out of T2, touching the grass, and I went by, P5. But Yannick had more pace, and after a bad exit out of the last turn he was able to pass me outside into T1. Great move! :) Back to P6. Then Lasse retired (bad luck, great pace), and I was back at P5.

Tris was getting closer from behind closing the gap from 5s to 2s, but then I came into a better rhythm, and was able to match or better his laptimes. Towards the end of the race I made sure to bring the car home, as the gearings and engine were on the edge. P5 was maximum result in this competitive field today. I was happy with the second half of the race, when I struggled somewhat in the early phase to have a consistent pace.

Congrats Iestyn for a dominant win, and Tom for a great recovery drive after his mistake. Also a well deserved podium for Roy who did fend off Yannick, who also was on fire today. Well done guys, and congratulations! Thanks to Tris keeping me honest midrace, and  a great debut by Paul  in the Honda! Also well done to my teamie Doni for finishing in the lead lap! :) This was such a competitive race. 4 dutchies in the top 5 BTW! :o

I could go on and name the whole grid. :P

Great to be back with oAo, it also was a humbling experience, as it was my worst oAo finish in ages! :D

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 20 February 2021 - 01:49 PM.

Looking for a living kidney donation...
Posted Image

#10 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 582 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:19 PM

This is why people stick with the best league in the world! I've tried another league in assetto corsa over the winter. And even with the far better graphics and performance of the game, it could only compete when all of oAo would be there. Besides, GPL is still so nice to drive.
I don't think I have ever had a race where I had someone chasing me for the full 40 laps within 100meters, at times less than 1 meter.
This only works out if both drivers stay on the right side of the fine line which is always present during a race.
Frank was faster than me the whole race, and I made far more mistakes than he did. But he kept on driving with respect. I gave way a couple of times at turn one, but apparently just not enough for him to go for the pass. When we were lapped, Frank clearly went off his power allowing me to do the same. Thanks a lot for all of that Frank, it was epic!
I know this was a battle for 12th place, but like I have said before, the sole reason for being in oAo is to have great races. This certainly goes down for me as one of the best ones. And I know it is just for 1 point, but I'm very happy to finish this season with 16 points if the experience resembles today's in all races. The Oetman is one happy camper today :-)

#11 daniel0099

daniel0099

• Members
  • 232 posts
  • Interests:Guitar

Posted 20 February 2021 - 01:45 PM

Sorry for the confusion T.Oud when lapping me.
I was letting you the normal race line to pass me, but you must have been confused with my slight move on the left before I corrected to stay on the right.

Fun race overall. 1 DNF only.

#12 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,646 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 20 February 2021 - 05:19 PM

Well, that was impressive guys, I don't think I've ever run in an online race with such a high %age of finishers and Lasse can consider himself most unfortunate to be the victim of (IMO) GPL's sometimes random engine blowups. :(

I had a quiet race. Doni was over me like a cheap suit for a good many laps and obviously faster but I was able to pull enough of a gap by Leeukop Bend. The 1st time I didn't  he pounced on the run past the line and dropped me in the next few laps.which left me running alone for a few laps. Then I found a box of neutrals entering Sunset Bend and ran wide. Avoided everything but was passed by Tames and Frank dropping me to a lowly 14th. From there is was a case of managing the gap back to Enrique. Normally my game plan is to pick up places due to attrition. If this is an example of how the season will unfold I need to rethink. Well done guys, showing how it should be done.

Congrats to the podium.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#13 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 February 2021 - 09:20 PM

I went into the winter break as a g2... After a talk with Bruce, he initially promoted me to g3 after the Alta Gracia F2 race, the rest is history, I guess... Practice makes perfect!

I started the event with a really nervous mind as I had never been on such a big stage before, especially not with such a good car that would allow me to have a really good performance at the front...
Had a great qualifying, only in a few practice sessions before I was able to come close to my PB of an 18.79, and I was never able to reach a theoretical best of an 18.57 like I did in that session! So I had reason to start into the race with confidence...

My good launch of the line gave me P2, but in the first 2 laps my hands were jiggling around like crazy which occasionally influenced my lines on track which quickly made me loose close contact with Iestyn. The whole time I had been so nervous about my first race in D1 with the elite of GPL, and  as the race went on, I only became more calm and confident. At one point Tom with his amazing pace tucked into my slipstream and passed me only to loose it something like 2 laps later which relieved me quite a bit, but still he stayed third and got closer with each lap again. Meanwhile Iestyn and I were exchanging laptimes so that our gap moved around the 4 second mark when... I don't know what went wrong, I upshifted relatively early, but might have still had a little amount of throttle applied at the beginning of the upshift, can't tell for sure.

Anyways, amazing stuff by Iestyn who drove a very mature race and managed to keep a consistenly good pace, albeit a bit slower than Tom who outperformed his Brabham today, deserved G8! :) Also great stuff by Roy who continuously perfromed at a high level in this race to finish on the podium, closely followed by my teammate Yannick with a very good drive as well! At this rate, Robert, the S24 D1 title is going to go to somebody else, but big respect to you for going for such a challenge, such an honour to be racing with one of the all-time greats! Honorable mentions at this event are Tristan, Paul (amazing debut!), Mixchael, Dag, Marcos, Doni, Tames, Frank, John, Enrique and Dan. :) What an experience this was, especially with everyone except me finishing, what a league I'm racing in... Thank you everyone for being there today, it was one hell of a pleasure, see you in two weeks at Alta!

Edited by lalb2001, 20 February 2021 - 09:21 PM.

#14 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,239 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:46 AM

I have no  words, my cooper, was no have to much power, for "fight" the 10 place or over,
  but i'm so happy for end the race,  I'm not care, the position, just only one end the race,
   and I got it, its amazing the level of this league, and I love it,...... just drive , thats  it's.
kyalami show that.
  congrats lestyn, wonderfull race :-)
long live GPL

Edited by efarina, 21 February 2021 - 02:47 AM.

Posted Image[img

#15 Tom Oud

Tom Oud

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 04:51 AM

Amazing start of the season!

Got off the line pretty well, but Lasse  managed to take 2nd off me into T1. We kept it pretty close for a while, until I decided to downshift in the middle of the chicane (who knows why) causing me to spin. Managed to recover quickly, ending up right behind Roy. Had a good time chasing him around, until he chose not to defend into T1, I'm guessing to keep it a clean race, thank you for that!
Was a bit out of my game for a couple laps after that, but managed to get my pace back on track and started chasing Iestyn.
Like Daniel mentioned, had a bit of a miscommunication. He tried to let me by, but I misread his intentions, which almost put me into the back of him. (No one to blame here I'd say)
This did cost me about 2 seconds, which made catching Iestyn seem nearly impossible. Went for it anyway and got pretty close, but this was definitely a well deserved win Iestyn, congrats again!

#16 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,853 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 02:12 PM

View Postlalb2001, on 20 February 2021 - 10:45 AM, said:

https://www.twitch.tv/lalb2001 Actually forgot to share it, you can still watch the final laps :)

Did you see my post at the ADC forum about this?

http://forums.speedg...49
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#17 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 21 February 2021 - 05:04 PM

View PostBob Simpson, on 21 February 2021 - 02:12 PM, said:

Did you see my post at the ADC forum about this?

http://forums.speedg...49

I hadn't until now, thank you! :)

View PostTames, on 20 February 2021 - 11:15 AM, said:

wow, this is what it looks like on your computer in game? So much nicer too what I am used to, how?

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=7163 This is the Kyalami update I used, the cars are the one from Bernds GPLPS All-In-One installer, and I might have installed an update for the Ferrari cockpit, not quite sure actually.

#18 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 02:51 AM

Btw I've just uploaded this, really interesting to see where the qualifying top 3's strengths and weaknesses are! ;)

https://www.youtube....h?v=5aCPAb5yFEU

Edited by lalb2001, 23 February 2021 - 02:51 AM.

#19 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,992 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 07:16 PM

That is a great graphic set for Kyalami, do you have a link to a download?
I just wanna race

#20 lalb2001

lalb2001

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 23 February 2021 - 08:09 PM

http://srmz.net/inde...?showtopic=7163

Sim Racing Links