• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 February 2019 - 11:31 AM

Sorry to Roy and Lucky Racers for the contact we had early race. I saw Roy going wide in T1, and went for the inside. Then there was side-by-side contact. I had full lock but there was still room on the inside. Arguably a racing incident, but it sucked to see Roy going off. I'm glad he could continue. This is not the way I want to win.

Great recovery back to P2, but it was Roy's race to lose to be fair. Later more.

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 February 2019 - 11:31 AM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#2 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 23 February 2019 - 12:57 PM

Qualified exactly where I thought I could, and just wanted to hold on to that position in the race. In the practice start, Michael had jumped me from one place back on the inside (P5). Having Miele there in the race, I didn't even think that it could happen again!

So, when I got to braking for T1, I checked my mirror and pribluda and saw Miele was 12 yards back. Thus, I thought I was fine to tuck in behind Michiel and take a middling line to get a good exit. It turns out I had backed off just enough on the approach that Michael was in my blind spot on the right and, crucially, fractionally ahead, so I spun out off wheel to wheel contact. It was a shame as had I realised he was there, I could have simply taken a wider line and tucked in safely behind him for 5th place.

To make matters worse, I then caught myself out coming back through the field, when Ed was passing Doni. Having backed off on the approach to T1, again, I suddenly found myself braking too late for a side-by-side in front! Aiming for the narrowing gap between the cars, I bounced off Ed's rear left and into Doni's rear right. Thankfully, he could continue after quite a big hit into the straw bales.

But the day got worse from there.. recovering for the 2nd time now, and with hot rear tyres, I caught a slide from the penultimate corner, but did so so quickly that the wheel calibration was thrown off - and in that split second it put me two wheels onto the grass and I ended up doing a Vettel/Hockenheim 2018 straight into the barriers. If only I could have made the next corner, then I could have 'reset' it by going to full lock. Very similar to my crash at Interlagos last year in that respect (before I knew the trick to reset it).

I'm confident I could have had the pace to finish on the podium today, having done a 1:03.0 on race fuel after a few laps, so I am gutted for the team, especially after damage last time out as well. Congratulations to everyone else though, this was a tough race and everyone finished, apart from me and Tris, who was unlucky to land upside down after contact.

I am also starting to think that I should have picked up a Logitech G920 in the winter sales last year for £129 and even seen if my old G25 shifter would be compatible with it. :(
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#3 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,727 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

17 cars on a narrow bumpy strip of tarmac half the size of a their natural habitat was always going to make for a busy hour of driving.

Qualified on the outside on the lower third of the grid, but got a good enough getaway to grab three positions. My plan to run the highside through T1 was foiled when a Ferrari was parked on my preferred line. Apart from the spun cars the start nothing major in T1. Dropped down the hill and followed the field through the second sector. I managed to sneak up on the Brabham infront going into hairpin two and took the spot, since I saw a blue flash in my mirrors I figured I had my choice of line into the next right. To my surprise my car turns around as I'm appraoching the apex and I see a Brabham tumbling upwards. Turns out the Green Racers strategy was to take themselves out of the running on the first lap. Not sure what happened there but from my point of view the gap Tristan went for was never there.

Rejoined the race in last place, but through spills of the guys in front I was soon back to 8th or 9th. Got stuck in a train behind a Cooper, the Cooper I got by when he went wide at T1.

Next I, may have retired Ed by hitting his near stationary Brabham after he had a coming together on top of the hill with another competitor. I expected him to move faster than he was actually moving and figured I'd miss him. Apologies Ed if you were the blue Brabham.

After that the race settled down, I was ammongst Yannick and Carlos for the rest of the race. Trading places, nearly collecting Carlos early on when he breaked way early for T1 and I had to dive to the inside to avoid the Ferrari. Luckily I managed to get the car turned before hitting the grass. Next a few scraps with Yannick with special appearances of the leaders. Two spins in quick succession and the loss of two places and to close the race with 10 qualy laps trading tenths with Carlos.

All in all great scrapping over the full distance, more of that please.
I just wanna race

#4 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

It was very difficult at this track which makes it challenging.
Qual did go as planned and ended up 1st on the grid :)
Start was good and i believe it was lap 2 still braking very carefully but slightly missed my braking point at T1
and ended up on the outside when i was trying to point my car in the right direction suddenly Rob was there on the inside
i didnt expected that especially there and we both hade luckily only a minor collision...i spun and ended up on P10.
Drove all the way back to P2... for sure i was happy to finish this track and that this track is done ;)
All in all a good race... i know between Rob and Me its only a racing incident nothing more i think (havent seen the replay yet)
Lost so much time because there is almost no way to make a pass only on the longstraight where its save to make a move.
Finished 2nd but it was very very difficult on a track where a small mistake can cost you dearly.

Grats Dutch podium and everyone who finished!
Happy for my team and grats u2 Doni :)

Edited by Roy, 23 February 2019 - 04:50 PM.

#5 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:17 PM

I don't think my attempt was bad, or unexpected, only the execution. With a little correction under braking I missed the apex a bit, and despite full lock we touched. Bad luck Roy, I'd say I was more to blame. Didn't expect you to go wide and maybe that distraction lead to my correction. Initially thought you would go off, but miraclously you stayed on track. Great recovery back to P2! :)

In quali set a PB, but always knew Roy would prevail in the mighty Lotus. Solid start, and close behind Roy on Lap 1, and Michiel close behind. Then on Lap 2 we had contact, as described above. Did need a few laps to get into a rhythm, but already did a sub1m02s lap on Lap 5. Drove a good consistent race, and in general had no problems with lapping. It's not easy here to let the leaders by. Thanks guys! :)

Mixed feelings, drove a good race, happy with my driving, but feel I should have done a better job with Roy. Happily he could continue and finish a strong second. Great job! Also grats to Michael completing the podium, another strong drive. Well done to Killer, another P4 (after a late race mishap by Michiel) which is great for the team and yourself as well. Frank is such a guy you can leave in the trenches while I'm making a cup of tea. :thumbs:

Well done finishers, impressive finishing rate. Good to see my old teammate Enrique getting a top 6 result as well. Commiserations to the DNFs. Thanks all for racing and Bruce for organizing. :) I heard it's your birthday!? Congratulations, and celebrations. :beerchug:

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 February 2019 - 05:19 PM.

#6 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 05:58 PM

Grats Robert , Roy and Michael. Well done! (Especially Michael for bringing the team its first podium finish :beerchug: ) Roy and Robert in a league of their own as it is now , hats off for outlandish pace up front.

Got close to PB in Q so that was ok , P8 was at least better than last race. Rather hectic start on this bikepath of a track and fortunately I got away clean in the first few race laps. Once it settled down I wast trying to hang with Enrique but he edged away from me in the ferrari and since I got a pretty good gap to the group behind me early on it became a race to secure postiion without damage and get some coins. Very glad Michael pulled one out of the bag today. The fitght for P8 must have been something as the name on the sign kept changing with Michi grabbing it in the end. But it went Verheejen \ Hammonds \ Cendejas \ Kovacs for quite a while. Must have been a good fight.

Two down , 14 to go , on to Bathurst.

#7 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:28 PM

I'll add my apologies to Ed, My fault Michi not yours, more on that later.

Found it really hard to get a decent gap in the traffic for qualifying and when I did I messed up so ended up in 11th half a second off my PB.

Got a good start for the 1st few yards but Miguel had an equally bad start so I had to get out of the throttle to avoid contact. This gave Michi and Yannick a run down the outside so was 2 places down going into T1. Then got caught in a traffic jam on the inside so was another place down to Doni by the exit. Got the place back off Doni next lap into T1 and a few off track excursions by others ahead and I think I was up to the heady heights of 9th by about lap 6 and even had a gap ahead and behind and began to relax a little, Then a stupid mistake and I clipped the tyres exiting the final turn and spun myself around. By the time I got my act together I had lost quite a few places. Had a great battle with Miguel, Michi, Ed & Carlos for a few laps with only a car length or less between us a lot of the time. Then we lost Miguel to a spin which brings us to my apology to Ed.

I wasn't trying to pass which is what it might have looked like from your end I simply missed my braking point so threw it up the inside to avoid rear ending you. I almost got it stopped but lost the rear and corrected which sent me across the track in front of you. You managed to somehow miss me but had to stop in the process which is where Mich found you. :(

The rest of the race was littered with more errors from my side losing time with several off track moments. I also lost a few places being over cautious when allowing the leaders through and the person I was racing with also took advantage of me slowing a bit too much. Still a lot to learn, these D1 drivers take no prisoners. ;)

But finished where I started (11th) and was still running at the end so my 1st finish in D1.

Lovely track and I'm sure if the GPL mod teams ever come up with a Go Kart mod I'll give it another go but for now it's going to be locked away in a lead lined box. Definitely not on my favorites list.

Congrats to Rob, Roy for an amazing recovery back to 2nd and Michael for the remaining podium spot.

On to Bathurst...

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#8 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 07:34 PM

Apologies to Ed..... not what I was hoping for as Team Leader.
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#9 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

congrats rob, for your victory, and roy for that very good recovery..
  my race are solid, and I drive first 40 laps, very concentrate, but after lap 41 I don't know  what happen to me ( maybe my brain disco :-) ) and brake to late in t1 and go outside, anyway, I can in to the track again, and still runnig, but in next lap, same problem, go outside in t1, $%&/)(/&%&/.....ok, lets go again...and you know what happen i next lap????
  yes same mistake in same turn....god demond....what the matter????', I loose my ilution for catch killer an lowery, for fiht for the 4 place,  and just still runnig softely, for end the race in 6 place.
  anyway, thats great for me, and my team.
   cya next race gentlemans and happy birthay BO :disco:
Posted Image[img

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 23 February 2019 - 08:34 PM

thanks again for all the good wishes regards to 'birthday' ... as i mentioned elsewhere, "each day i wake - is a birthday"  you'll understand more when you get older ;)

but enough of that.... i write here/now to say how PROUD i am of ALL of YOU!! what a splendid show for a tight (? tight ? or restrictive!) track!
15 of 17 if i understand correctly :o   well done everyone!

D2 will have quite the effort to better that show :)
congrats to D1 ~
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#11 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,260 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:41 AM

Belated happy birthday wishes Bo,  GPL racers never get old, they just run at a slower frames per second..
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#12 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 24 February 2019 - 06:52 AM

I did not take the time getting accustomed to the track before qualifying, so I got into it pretty cold.
Evidently, qualifying didn't so well for me. I struggled getting good times and eventually got myself trapped at the hay bales of T1.
With 5 minutes to go I tried again, and despite way too many sloppy mistakes I got a decent lap in, leaving me 12th on the grid.

My start was really good. Off the line I got two drivers, mainly because one of them had a wayward start and thus hindered the other,
and two more down at T1 after some calamity. Next lap I also passed Roy as he spun, bringing me to P7.

And then I threw the race completely down the drain. I spun at the exit of T1 and came to a stop in a very awkward position.
I had to let everyone through until I could continue.

I spent the rest of the race trying to get back to the rest of the field, and with a bit of luck I went as high as P8.
Mostly it was between Carlos and Michi whom I tried to keep at bay/attack for position while trying to manage the blue flags as well.

Towards the end I got sloppier and dropped to P10 and really wanted to get this race over with.
It was my finishing position in the end, after which I rushed off because of plans I had that evening and was short on time.

Not happy with my performance. Don't think I was off pace per se, but just way too many errors that cost me too much time.

Can't say I like this track with the 67 in the slightest.
Too narrow, too slow, cars are too big... a poor mod/track combo, really.

Well, off to Australia.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#13 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 12:19 PM

Happy Birthday Bo!
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#14 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:33 PM

Good evening friends, well I would like to apologize to Carlos Cendejas and Doni 67 for the unacceptable mistake I made, it was a moment of deconcentration, I must recognize the quality of the drivers of the league and its strict rules, maybe it was all a sum of things that they did at that moment I did not think clearly, my comrade that big mistake, I want to congratulate the podium, they made a great race in this track that does not forgive mistakes. I will continue training so that things like these do not happen to me again

#15 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,135 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 24 February 2019 - 03:57 PM

thats great migue, you are a gentleman in track, and I know, that thinks, never happen again, buddy
   next races, are better for you teamy, lets go friend still runing like you know, alwais clear and clean... :bigsmile:
Posted Image[img

#16 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 04:14 PM

Of course quique, it was a moment of deconcentration and stupidity on my part to make a mistake as a rookie, I must confess that I was more worried about not making mistakes than turning at a good pace, and I end up happening the exact opposite, I regret the two pilots that hurt , and I await the sanction that is more than just and necessary.

Edited by Miguel Palud, 24 February 2019 - 04:15 PM.

#17 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,462 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 05:00 PM

Miguel, this was a very hard track to make your debut in a new league. No worries, we all make mistakes. At least you have the right mindset, and you presented yourself very well :)

#18 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:24 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 24 February 2019 - 05:00 PM, said:

Miguel, this was a very hard track to make your debut in a new league. No worries, we all make mistakes. At least you have the right mindset, and you presented yourself very well :)
Thanks Robert, I congratulate you for your convincing triumph, seeing you turn gave the feeling that there was nothing to do against your consistency and speed on the track, you are from another planet. My debut was very nervous, trying only to finish the race without incident, so that in qualy I did not keep trying to lower my times I could win some more positions, I just wanted to run and finish without damaging my car and without harming others comrades, but well I said it before a moment of deconcentration and I produced the accident that I wanted to avoid, gpl does not forgive you, I thank all the comrades who understood my mistake, I would never do something on the track to hurt another rider, and if the luck accompanies me I hope to be in the next race, see you

#19 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,361 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 09:05 AM

Not a problem, Miguel.  Accidents happen even on the best of days.  I never hold grudges.  Nope.  Never.  Ever.

BTW, how are you feeling today?

Attached File  miguel voodoo.jpg   146.35K   4 downloads

;)

Doni

#20 Miguel Palud

Miguel Palud

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 February 2019 - 10:30 AM

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 25 February 2019 - 09:05 AM, said:

Not a problem, Miguel.  Accidents happen even on the best of days.  I never hold grudges.  Nope.  Never.  Ever.

BTW, how are you feeling today?

Attachment miguel voodoo.jpg

;)

Doni
Thank you very much Doni, an error that will not happen again.
I do not understand your question, how do I feel today? or how do I sleep for bathurst? I answer the two hehehehe. Today I feel very well the only fact of getting up every day and being able to breathe is a reason for joy. For the race on Saturday I feel very excited, today I start training bathurst to try to make the cut, since it is a very difficult track

Sim Racing Links