• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rob Bakker

Rob Bakker

GTL European Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:01 AM

The server will open for Americas practice at 20:00 EST US (01:00 GMT Tuesday). Qualifying begins at 20:30 EST US (01:30 GMT Tuesday), and the race start is at 21:00 EST US (02:00 GMT Tuesday).
Race length is 2x 25 minutes.

This is a FIA GTC 76 spec event.
Rob.

ADC GTL Race Reports - Statistics and GTL car specs.

http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/

#2 David Kennard

David Kennard

GTR2 Americas Director

• ADC Admins
  • 2,149 posts
  • Interests:Racing (D'oh), Sim and Real World.

Posted 03 December 2007 - 09:04 PM

Well that was weird.
I was having a hard time with the CSL in race 2 and kept losing it in the same spot on the track.
After 4 straight spins on 4 consecutive laps (along with a few other random spins) I saw the field coming around and decided to pit for tires basically to let everyone by without any drama.
Came into pit stall and was on the board when the game crashed, or at least I thought it was the game.
I actually got a blue screen with a lot of microsoft speak and the computer crashed and then rebooted.

Not my night but glad to see 10 racers make the grid.

#3 Xavier Seynave

Xavier Seynave

• ADC
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:06 AM

After half the evening spent cleaning my car park from the snow, the races were a great diversion. I had very few laps in training, and very disappointing ones as I was unable to go below 1'58" with different cars. I decided to stick with the Pantera as I always had fun with it, and try to get the best from it.

Practice showed me that I came to grips with it, with 1'55"-56" on the stopwatch. It was about daring to slow down a lot before the turns and get back on the throttle as early as possible without spinning. Lots of fun indeed! I qualified 5th I think and off we went. Sherman overtook me on turn 2 but my better top speed allowed me to get back in 2nd place at the hairpin. I was behind Fabrizio's Capri and there was no real hope of taking his place as he was fast all around the track. I could make some ground between T1 and T4, but the whole stadium section was the death of me. Behind were Sherman, Anthony and James in the second Pantera. Some mistake cost Fabrizio the lead after mid-race, and slowly James was coming by. I wanted to coast as much as I could, but the gap between us was barely enough for 12 laps, and the 13th proved to be a hell of a challenge! James was better in the hairpin braking and made his move. We barged into each other but James gentlemanly kept his position. I thought I was leaving enough space, but I never took the hairpin in the same fashion twice in a row, so I may have been closer to the apex that I expected. Fortunately the third man was not close enough to take full benefit of the situation and we ended the race as we were.

The second race saw me start at the front again. I have been lucky with the random grids so far, but that is not especially fun every time, so I drove through T1 in the skidding area and took the last spot. Things were heating a bit at T2, and I managed to use the fast left-hander to come by a pack of Capris and 906s before the heavy braking zone. There were people on the left and on the right so I took a line in the middle and made my way through a fender bending festival. Surviving this mayhem, I was third, sandwiched between James' 911 and Sherman's Capri. James gambled with the 911 as he did not practice with it. He lost it at the antepenultimate corner, taking the leader off in his spin. Sherman and I had an open road in front of us! We maintained a steady pace and gap during almost the whole race but apparently exhaustion took its toll on Sherman. With no direct threat, I cruised to the flag.

2 wins in one evening were more than expected!  :1a:  :1a: Qualif times showed that competition would have been fierced anyway, and I am glad the Pantera and I are still in such good terms. My new PB just under the 1'55" barrier was a nice add-on to the event. I am glad to have had such great racing! Now back to the snow and my scraper! See you on Saturday...
my GTR times
Posted Image
my GTR2 times
Posted Image
my GTL times
Posted Image
GPL Rank handicap: +9,762"

#4 Rob Bakker

Rob Bakker

GTL European Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

View PostXavier Seynave, on Dec 4 2007, 03:06 PM, said:

2 wins in one evening were more than expected!  :1a:  :1a:
Not sure what happened, but in the race report it says you are DQed in the first race. :blink:

Reports are online. I will have a look at the log files to see if there is some thing wrong there.
Rob.

#5 Xavier Seynave

Xavier Seynave

• ADC
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 12:03 PM

Yes, that was dumb... I left my car in 1st gear after the donuts and it rolled onto the track in the wrong way, so it was a DQ. From now on I'll put it in neutral before the champagne... :P

By the way, the starting order of race 2 is wrong too as I was 3rd on the grid.

Edited by Xavier Seynave, 04 December 2007 - 12:18 PM.

my GTR times
Posted Image
my GTR2 times
Posted Image
my GTL times
Posted Image
GPL Rank handicap: +9,762"

#6 Rob Bakker

Rob Bakker

GTL European Director

• ADC Admins
  • 6,422 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 04:03 PM

View PostXavier Seynave, on Dec 4 2007, 07:03 PM, said:

Yes, that was dumb... I left my car in 1st gear after the donuts and it rolled onto the track in the wrong way, so it was a DQ. From now on I'll put it in neutral before the champagne... :P
That happened to me ones too.  :D

I changed it now in the report. I think the starting positions for the 2nd race get missed up because we don't do quali.
Rob.

#7 James Legault

James Legault

• ADC Admins
  • 1,336 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 06:59 PM

This was the tale of two races for me.  Kept my head in Race 1 and was able to move up steadily. The Pantera is plenty fast and as long as I remembered to GENTLY apply the throttle and keep the trail braking down to the bare minimum, it was quite manageable in this short race.  

Much to my surprise, I found myself in P2 and catching Xavier as the laps wound down.  On the penultimate lap, I made up a lot of ground under braking at the end of the long "straight" and figured that spot would be my only hope of making a pass.  On the final lap, I got close but didn't quite get by under braking.  Xavier turned in, as he said, and we touched.  It was a racing incident, I think, and no blame to either of us.  I let Xavier go first, as we're obliged to do here, and fortunately we were both able to keep our places ahead of a hard charging Sherman.  I was totally pleased with the result as it was the most satisfying drive I've had in quite some time.

I'll just forget about Race 2.  Why did I decide to switch to a car I had almost no time in?   :bash:   I started P2 and was lucky not to take out the entire field when I spun out.  My apologies gentlemen.   :(   And then I got 2 Stop and Go penalties for cutting, on the same lap.  Actually, I wasn't cutting, I was doing some serious agricultural racing...   :P   I didn't know that 2 penalties on the same lap still meant that you had to SERVE 2 penalties.  I served 1 and as I drove by the pits on the following lap, I was DQ'd.  Probably just as well... :rolleyes:

Congrats Xavier and thanks again to all who turned out.    :thumbup:
Ladies and gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice!

Sim Racing Links