• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 10:03 AM

Refueling not working!
Didn't saw my board because it was flickering.
This is not fair!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#2 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:01 AM

it flickers while it is refueling....
did you practice online w/ patch?
it has worked all week for me -
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#3 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 11:23 AM

Yes i practice this a couple of times.
Didnt saw the board when i enter the pit because it was flickering while i still drove in the pit.
Therefore i saw the board only on the last moment and ruin my race.

Edited by Roy, 07 September 2019 - 11:24 AM.

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,459 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

Poor Roy :(

Looked like you didn't raise your arm (for refueling), judging replay. I did also see the pitboard very late (in quali), so I pitted very cautiously in the race...

You had great pace Roy, the ultimate late braker :) But I figured you were on a 2-stopper with your quali pace in the race. I didn't understand why you pitted on lap 25, that way you could have never won...maybe you thought the race was 48 laps instead of 60!?

Sucks for you, but please keep on going, you are still in the fight my friend! ;)

Later more...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 07 September 2019 - 12:19 PM.

Well, my socks and shoes always match, is it luck?

#5 Andrew Hutchinson

Andrew Hutchinson

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 12:45 PM

I'm over the moon that I got the chance to race again. Over the break I was doing a lot of driving up North and with work it seemed like I couldn't keep my back together. Then, just before the season resumed I had a mechanical problem with my brakes that send me over than handle bars. Whatever didn't get wrecked there was fixed when I used the same hand to soften my fall off a roof onto a large rock. I was SUPER lucky that nothing came of it - I was trapped for a short while- but it could have been bad. Both instances were due to my inflexibility. Anyways, at around the same time every single internetable device I owned broke. At 11 O'clock last night I randomly got a combination of settings that allowed me to play GPL on the server with Linux Mint 19.2 Cinnamon.

Much thanks goes to Greg and Marcos and the others who have documented running GPL on Linux. FPS was in the range of 22-32 and there was no GEM or GPLRA for me but it worked well enough that I'll be using it again next time out - I have no choice at this point -  but it is nice to know that it can be done, even by an idiot.

Anyways, since I had no time to practice or shake off 12 weeks of rust I decided to go the distance without stopping. I'm not sure how I would have made the patch work with my setup in WINE.   As it turned out I had plenty of fuel to do the full 60 laps had I kept it out of the field on lap  16. Disappointing to end it the way I did but very happy going forward. After the Nurburgring  I was pretty POed that I'd had another hardware mishap and ended up int the bush. This most recent off was due entirely to terrible driving. That I can live with.

Shout out to Carlos for his time in P2.

Andrew

#6 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:14 PM

My Championship is over because of this!
Last race at the Glen i blown my engine, i did nothing wrong but that was for sure a random gpl failure.
And now this, sorry guys but for me the fun is gone.

#7 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 02:44 PM

Roy, GPL is not just winning! If so, did you wonder why are all we, the non-Robert drivers, still racing oAo?
I understand the frustration, but these kind of ridiculous problems happen in real car racing... and GPL is a very realistic sim! :)

My race was unexistant. I had to unexpectedly go out of home by work issues and didn't reach my wheel at time before the start :(

See you the next! Long live GPL!

Marcos

Edited by mcmirande, 07 September 2019 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#8 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 243 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 06:51 PM

Well said Marcos.

Running 7th with 12 laps to go and my Screens went Black!!!!!! (I think it was the PC power plan)
Ctrl alt del Yes!!!! back in the car No!!!! stuck in 1st gear drove it back to the the pits and called it a night.

#9 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 07 September 2019 - 07:03 PM

Pretty uneventful race (Just how I like them). :) Qualified 12th, Finished 6th, Largely through attrition.

Qualified with full tanks as there seemed little point in trying to position my self anywhere near the front runners. I had seen a 1:59.83 in practice but had no intention of matching it under qualifying so was happy to be back in the pack around drivers closer to my ability. Race was quite lonely once I had pulled ahead of the Honda's and Cooper's. Michiel's spin early on put me ahead of him but I was keen to let him past at the earliest opportunity. The last thing I wanted was to convince myself I was in a a race so let him past as quickly as I could. I know exactly where I am in the food chain and as usual this was nothing more than a coin hunt for me. The pit stop went well but only because I had practiced during qualifying. My pit board didn't actually appear until I was about 7 meters away from it. but having noted where my pit box was during a practice stop in qualifying  I knew what to expect so all went well.

Sorry for Roy, The pit stop patch does seem to work differently online when compared to offline perhaps that caught you out? I use it every qualifying, simply to "Keep my hand in".  But, what Marcos said. It's nice to be a top driver and able to fight for the lead (And you are undoubtedly one of oAo's greats). But  some of us turn up week in week out just to race and not being lapped feels like a win. (Not this week though). ;) I think we are all frustrated with your season this year, So many epic battles snatched from our grasp and this one seems the cruelest. :(

If I was Doni I would be writing a scathing email to Takahiro Hachigo The Honda Motor Corp CEO Telling him how crap his engines are. I watched his replay and can confirm they supplied him with a dud. You deserve your money back Doni. That was unacceptable.. :(

I'm not sure what was giving me the most concern for the final laps my possible lack of fuel or my full bladder. I completed the slow down lap and literally ran to the toilet for a pee. I knew I should have taken a few minutes out during the pit stop but in the excitement of the race I completely forgot.

Off to Riverside, Can't wait. i love that track.

TTFN
John.

Edited by snafu, 08 September 2019 - 02:39 AM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#10 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

Roy.... from one who will never be as good as you, if it was only about winning oAo would not exist for me.
GPL would be off my PC
and the many quality people here, and friends i've made thru GPL would never have happened.

i know how much you want a championship, but there must be more - always more than 'winning' as the only fun aspect.
put on a smile, and race on!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#11 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:08 PM

It has often been said that any list of champions that doesn't include Stirling Moss is a list that cannot be taken very seriously.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 08 September 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 07 September 2019 - 09:48 PM

In quali early on, did hit Ed towards Virage de Muzon. I was on a hotlap, and closed in very fast. There was nowhere to go for me, it was basically a misunderstanding I think, like you wanted to let me go. Sorry Ed, I was totally surprised. Happily we both could continue in quali...just missed out on a sub57 in my second run, which was my aim. Didn't have any tow though in quali, and it still was a slight PB :)

Had a tall 1st gear, and start wasn't superb. Went side-by-side with Roy but cleared him just before Courbe Annie Bousquet. First 10 laps the pace was very hot. Couldn't break away, and then on lap 11 Roy had a good tow. He was able to pass me outbraking me towards Virage de Thillois. By then figured Roy must have been on a 2-stopper, judging his quali pace in the race. Took more care of the car, and Roy increased the gap over 3s. But when Roy didn't pit on Lap 20-21, wondered if he was on a 1-stop after all! Started to push again and gained a few tenths a lap. But then Roy unexpectedly pitted on Lap 25, which meant he would have to stop again...

By then I knew normally the race was won (on strategy), if I didn't make mistakes, and the car wouldn't break down. Sadly Roy encountered this problem with his pitstop. I was concerned in quali, also seeing my pitboard very late (in contrary to earlier practise online). Not sure why it was like this. But it was the same for everyone I suppose...

Therefore took extreme care while pitting, after 32 laps, also having a huge lead ofcourse. Even could have done 33 laps. Second stint was all about managing the engine and gearbox having a safe pace. Still had 1-2 lapses, while running alone, early in that stint. But held it together, It was a very controlled race, and grateful to see the checkers! :)

Grats to Iestyn for P2, a nice birthday present, and Michiel for P3. Another supersolid performance by Frank, consolidating his c'ship lead, best teammate ever! :) Also a superb drive by Michael in the Honda, like at the Glen, a top 5 result! Same goes for John and Alex, finishing this race is already a great achievement, well done.

That said, heartbreak for Doni and Ed, having to retire late race...commiserations to all retirements, and thanks to all lapped cars for the courtesy. Indeed a shout-out to Carlos, running so well in second for a while, before having to retire as well.

This effort was for the remembrance of Darren McLachlan.

And to Roy: it's incredibly frustrating for you, and as others have said, also for myself and the league. I have said it in previous seasons, but you are a champion in your own right, even when you don't have to show a title for it (yet). Please keep at it my friend, oAo wouldn't be the same without you. Never give up, last season I trailed Iestyn also for many points. You are still in it very much. Don't let his bad luck get into your head. There's an art in winning, but there's also an art in losing. I also had to learn it the hard way...

I am sure you will rebound back, and you will be stronger than ever if you can accept what is.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 07 September 2019 - 10:03 PM.

#13 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:20 AM

Guys first i want to say that i never give up!
Its just really frustrating that these things always happend to me,
because its not the first season that those redicilous things happen to me.

#14 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:20 AM

. ignore, wrong forum. :stupid:

Edited by snafu, 08 September 2019 - 02:22 AM.

I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#15 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:55 AM

Guys i really strongly advice to practice the pitstop online because it can be different!

#16 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,459 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 02:57 AM

I understand Roy, you must be the unluckiest driver ever here in oAo...you deserve a c'ship for sure...

But with GPL racing, so much stuff can happen. Like freak engine failures, screen freezes and stupid lag/netcode incidents. Apart from making mistakes ourselves.

As for this season, from my perspective, it's a shame our fights at Punta Fria, East London, Nürburgring, Glen 71 and now Reims were interrupted/halted by all sorts of different incidents. We hardly seem to have a real good race fight until the end, which is a shame. But it's not in my hands, I can only focus on myself.

I'm glad you will continue, and always looking forward to race against you. You are my biggest rival on the track, I do admire your lines and your braking ability. I have learnt so much from you! Keep at it Roy, believe in yourself and don't let the GPL online demons get into your head. There is still some great racing to be done this season as well. I want to fight with you (among others) at the front for wins, and I don't want easy wins, they are not gratifying at all...

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 09 September 2019 - 06:26 AM.

#17 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 08 September 2019 - 05:29 AM

Roy you are one of the veterans of this league, a very important part of it. In addition to being fast you are a gentleman on the track, it would be a shame and a great loss for the community your absence.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#18 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 05:34 AM

Sometimes i don't realize that i am a important part of this league and in the heat of the moment i can say things that i mean differently.
The championship is a very important part and i try everything i can to win it.
The last two races i was leading the race and at the Glen my engine blow up on lap 4, i did nothing differently as in other races (you can check the replay) and still the engine blow up.
Last race at Riems i still don't know what happend but somehow i didnt raise my arm, i am sure that i pushed the butten a couple of times.
The only conclusion that i have is that somehow i didn't push the butten to raise my arm, I can't imagine that i didn't do that... very weird
Two races in a row something happend from leading the race and end up with zero points that is not fun when you really hade a great shot a the championship title.

Qualify at Reims didn't go as planned i blow up an engine, in the end it didn't matter because Rob was faster then my pb 57.30
I hade a 57.12 on prib, not a bad time in a Lotus compare to Eagle.
The race i hade a great battle with Rob and was planning a 2 stopper around lap 20 and 40.
That was a last minute decision because Rob drove in a Eagle.
I really needed to have more speed to catch him somehow and i did everything i can to do that.
Only i didn't know and i was really hoping that my race pace was fast enough to have a chance.
I saw that i was faster at the braking zones and that gave me the possibility to close the gap and making a move for the lead on the long straight.
It was very difficult but my plan was working and finaly i pass Rob on the long straight i believe around lap 10.
Only now i needed to drive away and try to create a gap which was not so easy.
Lap 23 i stop for refueling and somehow it didn't work for me and i needed to retire the race.
Always these weird unlucky things happen to me when i have a good shot at the title, that is frustrating.
I Always enjoy it very much to drive in this league because there is a lot of respect towards each other!
It makes me happy what other drivers say about me and thats very much appreciated :)

Edited by Roy, 09 September 2019 - 05:42 AM.

#19 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,542 posts

Posted 09 September 2019 - 12:17 PM

After having spent the latter part of the week practicing in race trim, I neglected to turn back to my qualifying setup to reacquaint myself with how the car felt a couple hundred pounds lighter. That mistake led to a mediocre qualifying session in which I set a time more than 6/10s slower than my PB.

Then I compounded my poor qualifying by getting a terrible launch from the grid. From what seemed like a very great distance from the starter, I mistook the quick upward and downward motion of the green flag to be only the upward motion. I was caught off guard when everyone jumped forward. Bob S. immediately pounced on my mistake, passing Enrique and me. Enrique was held up by a poor start by Tristan in front of him. My poor start certainly didn't help John, who was directly behind me. (Sorry about that, John.)

I crossed the S/F line in 11th place, but it was at this point that everything fell right for me. Because Enrique was held up, I was able to pass him around the outside of Courbe de Gueux. By the time we reached Virage de Muizon, the field was split into two: those in front of Tristan and those behind. I launched out of Virage de Muizon already in Bob S.'s slipstream and passed him by mid straight. Then I fell naturally into Tristan's slipstream to overtake into Thillois.  Iestyn overshot his braking into Thillois and took the long way around the wall to surrender up another position to me. So on Lap 1 I lost 1 position and gained 4!

After a few laps, Iestyn passed and passed again after repeating his mistake. A little later on Michiel passed me after his own mistake in Courbe Annie Bousquet.

And then things settled down. The field spread out and I was left to contemplate the wide open, sparsely-adorned expanses of Reims. I started to play a game with myself -- how long could I go without seeing how many laps were left in the race? Not the smartest of games to play, I admit, given that I risked missing my pit window that way. But hey, I had a fuel gauge, and as far as I know, GPL doesn't simulate fuel gauge failures. This isn't my old Ford Pinto we're talking about here. Then when I broke down and looked at the number of laps remaining, I nearly said out loud "Oh holy sh*t ... I've still got 13 laps before my fuel stop!" Suddenly it dawned on me just how long this race was going to be.

I learned something on Saturday -- two hours of racing at Reims is like repeatedly hitting yourself on the head with a ball peen hammer. It feels so good when you stop.

Fortunately, when we stopped, I did so in 5th position. It was a smooth, steady, untroubled, if mostly solitary, drive to the checkered flag. Apart from Lap 1, I didn't make any competitive passes. I just trundled around long enough for the flag man to tell me to stop. I didn't get lapped until after my fuel stop, so I can take pride in the fact that if this had been a typical-length race, I would have ended on the lead lap.

Congratulations to Robert on another flawless drive, and to both Iestyn and Michiel for their recoveries to podium positions. Sorry for Roy's pit stop troubles. Perhaps Darren was playing a joke on him. He had a wicked sense of humor, as I recall. Or perhaps he was just rolling his eyes and chuckling. Wish you were here, Darren.

Good luck to D2 at Reims. Think survival first, not outright speed. Twice as many things can go wrong in a two-hour race.

See you at Riverside.

Michael

Sim Racing Links