Zandvoort

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 DDodge

DDodge

• ADC
  • 1,352 posts
  • Interests:GPL, Dual Purpose motorbikes, Sailing, Tennis, Dakar, Pets, my Mini Cooper S

Posted 03 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

Worst season I have ever had in OaO.  Put upside down about 4 minutes into the race.  :wounded1:

Don
Confuscious say: "War not determine who right, war determine who left."

Posted Image

#2 Pepe Higdon

Pepe Higdon

• Members
  • 305 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

Next to not finishing, the only thing I don't want to do is make contact with someone else, so before T2 on L1 I'd already put my teammate into the weeds and did some serious damage to Tim's car. And that wasn't the end of it. Tim and I again collided at the beginning of L10, also my fault, I imagine. I can run with someone without any problems --- Ronnie and I were nose to tail for five full laps without incident --- as long as I'm the trailing car, but if I'm ahead of you and we're fighting for position, I can almost guarantee that I don't know where you are, what you're doing, or even what day it is. After one race earlier in the year I was so pissed off at my situational ignorance that I reprogrammed one of my M/S wheel buttons to toggle between helicopter and in-car views. Has it helped? Ask Niky and Tim.

So I apologize to both of them and to anyone else I might have scared senseless today (or yesterday or the day before that). I shouldn't have been on the damned track anyway. Qualifying told me that, I did an out lap of 1:37 then wound up on the roof in L2. I came out again with five minutes to go and almost immediately put the car on its roof again. How I finished the [expletive deleted] race I don't know, but if I can't figure out how keep from knocking the shit out of the other cars on the track, I'll retire before I kill someone. It isn't worth it.

#3 Gabriele Maruca

Gabriele Maruca

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:02 AM

Well... forgot I could get in at the 5 minute mark in the qualify, so I couldn't set a good mark for the grid due to a mishift. Yes, I've blew my Maserati engine, gone up in smoke.
The start was good, from last to 8th in less than three bends (mostly because of T1 and T3 messes), but T5 got... strange. Saw a green BT24 and, since it was coming in way faster than me, I've tried to let it pass, but he came in a little too wide and got into me: things that happen. As soon as I got back on track (miraculously without a damage), the Brabham was moving and on fire.
But then, lap after lap, things got worse: lap 5 was a loss of grip at T7 that sent me into the sand, then lap 6 the gearbox sticked and smoke came out every time I changed between 2nd and 3rd gear, but I've soldiered on. Got lapped twice, but I've kept on.
Then, lap 20, T1, brakes went the way of the dodo: parked the car into the sand bank and called it a day.

Not a great start, I just hope I didn't make too much of a fool out of myself or ruined someone else's race. :animal_rooster:
"Keep calm and go flat out!"

#4 Ronnie Nilsson

Ronnie Nilsson

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:21 AM

I was aiming to finish 10th - such are my lofty ambitions.  On a track I have rarely revisited, I qualified 0.5 seconds slower than my PB - set in 2004!  Anyway, it was fast enough for me not to be last (my usual position) - in fact, I was 11th out of 14.

I threaded my car through the L1 carnage and found myself in 9th.  Sure enough, I got overtaken by the spinners, and was at one stage down to 11th, when Pepe finally fought his way past, but then Tim dropped out, so I had my 10th place finish. :)

Unfortunately, due to the Spa race being postponed a week, I can't make it. :(

#5 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,223 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

best i'd done pre-race was 26.2... couldn't match it, a lot of traffic, but no complaints as i don't think i would have qualified any higher seeing the times posted - wow!

green flag and Claudio got by a slow to get away Roberto, i backed off as there were only 40 laps to go :)
moved up thru BobS going off and Alex similar, but Alex was soon on my tail and challenging, i probably could have been a pain, as in similar cars there is only one place to overtake, and i don't think he could have done it.. but i was pressing to hold p4 and knew that wasn't going to do me any good, so i moved left and he was by, i suddenly relaxed and drove to finish. except BobS was now closing and near the end, i had to pick it up some - but again similar cars so i was able to hold p4

can't complain ~
grats to Ed/Roberto and Alex on a fine race and good job by backmarkers making room.

SPA67 next!
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#6 timbo

timbo

• Members
  • 104 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

Hey , come on Pepe, that's racing,  s--t happens, don't take it too seriously, hark at me, this is without doubt the worst race this year for me, three accidents, think the third one was my fault last few laps I was going off virtually every lap, then to cap it all the engine blew, : :wallbash::But hey it's only a game right?

Regards Tim.

Edited by timbo, 03 June 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#7 Tames

Tames

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 03 June 2017 - 12:42 PM

Pepe, you can hit me anytime, as long as you don't quit oAo.

I found out in qualifying that the top 6 was fast, all qualified within one second of each other.  During the race this became apparent immediately. I tried my very best to keep up with the pack, when suddenly I passed  my teammate Alex who had spun. He and Claudio were right on my tail, so I decided to give the place back to Alex. Claudio was right behind Alex and he used the opportunity to pass me as well. Well done Claudio, it happened before I realized it. After that I pushed as hard as I could to stay with him, but saw him slowly moving away. After a few close calls I decided to bring the car to the finish in one piece, hoping some of the first six would not make it to the finish line. But they all did, an amazing job. Gratulations to the podium, well deserved.

#8 Ed_Cullen

Ed_Cullen

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

What a tight division 7 races 7 winners

Top 3 under 1 second at the finish after 40 laps.

Mr Simpson :starwars: replayed me from the last race where I jumped him at the start.
So chase Bob for 14 laps and he made a small mistake into T1.
From there just kept my head and tried to keep the Eagle straight, looking
after the right rear. The gap to second was never under 4sec so the pressure
was on for the whole race.
Roberto chasing very hard for the last 5 lap(Drive of the night mate 2 low 25 in the race WoW)

Great pressure and well done Roberto and Alex
Thank you to backmarkers for a awesome job.

#9 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 874 posts

Posted 04 June 2017 - 08:13 AM

Zandvoort ended up being a great date for our team on the 20th of oAo. With Gerd's 2nd place in the D1 and 1st place for Ed in the D2. Congratulations boys !!! :banana:  I hope this augurs a better part of the season for our team.

As for my race though it left me a bitter taste for the sixth place, because it could have been a 3rd. But look in retrospect the car came intact, just had to wash it, and change it the water and oil and Load fuel. Also the points allow me to be third in the championship. I qualified in 5th place. In the start I was able to pass to Roberto and stay there for 4 laps, having the first 3 in sight, but in Scheivlak I made the first of the 2 unforced errors I made in the race, in this case I did wrong the layout in the (Jan De Wyker) :bash:  and I ran for  the sand for a while and lost and 3 positions, I passed Roberto, Bruce and Tames. As the level is very even though I drive to the max  I could recover a single position. In addition I committed on lap 25 another error in the same place, but in this case coming out of the curve. Luckily I did not lose any positions, but it kept me from reaching Alex and Bruce (reach them perhaps, but pass them I think I could not :thumbs: ).

Nice race in a circuit that does not give breaths and against high-level rivals !!

See you in Spa !!! :gpler:
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#10 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 04 June 2017 - 01:18 PM

Grats to Ed for his first win, and to the podium! :)

Sorry to Tim for the lap 1 incident, that was Pepe's fault, he simply got upset I think when you slowed quite early/much. IMO the lap 10 incident between Pepe and Tim was the other way around. Looks like Tim lost it late under braking, and he hadn't enough overlap at turn-in to claim the inside. I'm not intending to protest that incident, because of the lap 1 incident as well, and both could continue in both incidents as well.

It's a shame Niky went on the roof after a mistake, after a great run being in P9. Respect to Pepe for finishing the race, despite everything. Nice fight with Ronnie and nice clean pass. Don't be so hard on yourself Pepe, we all make mistakes. We just need to try to learn from them. ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 04 June 2017 - 01:37 PM.

#11 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,332 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 06 June 2017 - 05:03 AM

Belated apologies to Don Dodge and Vulture Racing. Wasn't aware of this incident, also since Niky is low profile on the forum. There was no attempt to pass, Niky simply got caught out by Don's speed there and even when he tried, he couldn't avoid Don in the end who got turtled...

Wishing Don fun and being able to finish races more often!

Sim Racing Links