#41 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:03 AM

Fair enough on Dundrod '50 - I do remember Jonny mentioning his issues when changing it. The track was released after '65, so I'm surprised disco issues were introduced (maybe in the new section or Jim's track revisions?). '50 or '65, it'll still be a huge challenge ;).

I just saw the race reports for 2013 Donnybrooke - D2 race discos. If the replay could be checked, we could see if the kerbs set it off. It might be something to make Ginetto aware of - he's working on new tracks again, and might be able to release a fixed kerb version of Donnybrooke, like Gaus did for Road Atlanta '71, unless he lost the Donny build files with all the others he lost. Remy had just released an update for Donnybrooke too, on SRMZ.
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#42 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,082 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 13 November 2015 - 09:39 AM

Personally never had probs at Donnybrooke 1971, but I hope there will be a fix for it, since it's such a fine racing track. Not a big fan of Dundrod, somehow always get lost there...

But again, I feel insulted to have to drive on Daytona Oval, a track with no single seater history at all...since I'm a lot involved in other leagues, I haven't joined the TSG...pretty sure Michi pushed this track through, just to piss me off :D

#43 col bentley

col bentley

• Members
  • 1,250 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

Not sure what was wrong with donnybrook! ...... But, I think it was more problematic in the d2 race, anyhow Rob ...... Daytona was run in geli this year and Michi did quite well..... I missed it though.

I'm pretty sure all enjoyed the race,  reading the reports .... So, hoping we have a good one in the brm ;-).

#44 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

Nice avatar Robert. Self portrait?

:P
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#45 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 November 2015 - 10:44 AM

It's a shame about losing Donnybrook. I tried all the tracks as soon as they were published and immediately liked it. I would have preferred to have seen it replaced with Riverside though rather than St Jovite

Could we not have run a few fun races at any from the original list just to see if the problems really are track related and not just coincidental like when most of the EU drivers all discoed last season at Sandown.

TTFN
John
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#46 Donnie Yourth

Donnie Yourth

• ADC Admins
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

Here's an approach that I'm sure the oAo membership across the board will take to their hearts...

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned that the GP of Monaco was restricted to just 16 starters.  The FIA had in place in those days a regulation that F1 GP's were to be restricted to eight cars per mile of track length.  It was felt that more cars/mile would cause traffic headaches.

I see on our S19 schedule that we have two circuits of rather minimal length.  Pau comes in just shy of 1-3/4 miles length and Westwood just a hair over that.  Applying the formula of track length in miles x 8 turns up a figure of 14.  I would propose that those two events be limited to 14 starters only with no restrictions as to guaranteed grid spots.  This means upwards of five members would be out of luck and sitting out the race.

Qualifying in the top 14 for these oAo races would take on monumental importance.  You could cut the tension with a knife!  :)

I like the idea for its realistic nature even though I, personally, would be one struggling to make the cut.  Comments?

#47 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,082 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 14 November 2015 - 02:31 PM

View Postcol bentley, on 13 November 2015 - 11:04 PM, said:

Daytona was run in geli this year and Michi did quite well..... I missed it though. I'm pretty sure all enjoyed the race,  reading the reports .... So, hoping we have a good one in the brm ;-).

I would understand such a track in an oval based league, however, don't get me wrong. You need certain qualities to do well on such a track, stockcar or not...it's very much a mental thing, and Michi is mentally a very strong and intelligent driver...you're one of the most solid and smartest drivers in this league Michi! :)

Have accepted the fact it's on the schedule, we'll see how the coins look by then, and make an eventual decision for damage control...

View PostEFulghum, on 14 November 2015 - 09:07 AM, said:

Nice avatar Robert. Self portrait?

Do you like my new tattoo? :D

View PostDonnie Yourth, on 14 November 2015 - 12:11 PM, said:

I would propose that those two events be limited to 14 starters only with no restrictions as to guaranteed grid spots.  This means upwards of five members would be out of luck and sitting out the race.

Qualifying in the top 14 for these oAo races would take on monumental importance.  You could cut the tension with a knife!  :)

I like the idea for its realistic nature even though I, personally, would be one struggling to make the cut.  Comments?

Interesting point Doni. However it would be harsh to have (fulltime) drivers miss such a race...

#48 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Doni-
its hard enough to keep members, near impossible to find new ones... to limit anyone's chances to race, when there's room seems harsh. we only race on alternate Sat's now - those (potential) 5 that have to sit because of a poor qual run wouldn't race for a month! ...  it may be realistic (did Pau limit its race to 14?)  but i'm against the idea for oAo.
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#49 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,376 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 09:31 PM

View PostRobert Fleurke, on 14 November 2015 - 02:31 PM, said:

Do you like my new tattoo? :D

Just lovely Robert, absolutely darling.

oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#50 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:25 AM

PROBLEM HERE
Just installing the new tracks for season 19. Parana was my 65th track and now my GPL install (the one patched with GEM) is no longer working. I've always thought GEM would allow for more tracks... what am I doing wrong?
Thank you in advance.

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#51 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 645 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:29 AM

Lorenzo - yes, GEM allows more than 64 tracks in season.inis, but 67season.ini can still only have 64 - one of those old GPL hardcoded things that can't be changed.

To point out two other bugs, in GEM, the '64 tracks limit' box is always ticked when entering season manager, and has to be manually unticked each time you use season manager. Also, if launching both vroc & igor, then always launch igor first (and don't join a vroc server without relaunching vroc, if you have joined an igor server) - these three bugs will wipe the player ini of any extra non-papy times, which can now be kept in the ini with GEM installed.

Solutions can be: a regular back up of player.ini, or keeping GPLrank or custom rank up to date (custom rank won't overwrite PBs with slower times, unlike GPLrank). It's always hard to avoid bugs when integrating older software, in this case, base GPL and winvroc (1998 and 2000?)!

Edited by Iestyn Davies, 15 November 2015 - 03:32 AM.

GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#52 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:12 AM

View PostIestyn Davies, on 15 November 2015 - 03:29 AM, said:

Lorenzo - yes, GEM allows more than 64 tracks in season.inis, but 67season.ini can still only have 64 - one of those old GPL hardcoded things that can't be changed.

So please, how do you manage to have more than 64 track installed, all useable and GPL still in working order? Do you "manually" uninstall some old tracks to make room each time you need to install a new track, tweaking the 67season.ini file as well (right what I did last year to get the new tracks for season 18 installed)? Or possibly you get the job done via GEM/Seasons, and if yes, how?
Apologize for being naive (to say the least), and once again thank you in advance.

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#53 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:40 AM

There is an option name "Enforce 64 track limit" in GEM\Seasons. Select the season.ini you want to add the tracks to, untick the option and you should be good to go. You cant use that ini with VROC IIRC.
I just wanna race

#54 JMF

JMF

• Members
  • 608 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 08:39 AM

In GEM you can expand the list of tracks in the season67.ini within in the box on the right. Highlight a track you don't expect to be using click the left arrow in the middle. That removes it from the season67.ini but it's still installed. With GEM you'll still be able to join iGOR servers if you installed the track but it's not currently listed in your season67.ini. VROC needs the tracks in the season67.ini to join it's servers.

Tracks installed but not listed in the season67.ini will appear in the left window without ... in front of them. Highlight them and click the right arrow and it will add them to the season*.ini that is highlighted in gray on the right.
Greg Taber

#55 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:21 PM

I disagree with some of what is written above. Specifically, GPL can use a 67season.ini file that has more than 64 tracks in it.

You can easily maintain a 67season.ini file that has more than 64 tracks in it, but to install >64 tracks requires some file juggling. You cannot use a standard GPL track install exe on a 67season.ini file that already has >64 tracks. Here is my work-around:

I maintain two 67season.ini files: one that I use all the time, entitled "67season.ini" which contains about 165 tracks, the other entitled "67season_TRACK_INSTALL.ini", which contains only about 18.

Whenever I need to run an install routine for a new track, I rename the latter to 67season.ini, and the former to 67season_MGL.ini.

After the successful install -- which should be no problem because the "new" 67season.ini file has only 18 tracks in it -- I change file names back to their original names, then go into GEM+

Using Season Manager in GEM+, the track you just installed should be in the left column, and the "67season.ini" file should be in the right column. Then
1) Highlight the 67season.ini file in the right column,
2 ) find and highlight the newly-installed track in the left column,
3) hit the "=>" button in between the columns to move the track info into 67season.ini
4) if you want to sort the tracks in folder name order, hit the Directory button (which I do, because when you've got 165 tracks in your GPL install, you need to put them in some sort of rational order!),
5) uncheck the "Enforce 64 Track Limit" box,
6) then hit the "OK" button to exit.

Your 67season.ini file should now have >64 tracks in it, all usable withing GPL.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 15 November 2015 - 03:46 PM.

#56 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,614 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:07 PM

Since I use GEM, I only have the minimum amount of tracks (usually 10 or so) in the 67season.ini since it's SO easy to swap tracks in and out by just moving them from the left column to the right column in GEM's Seasons window.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#57 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:40 PM

I just cannot untick that "enforce 64 track limit"... each time I get back it's checked, and the 67season.ini with its 65 tracks on is not working.
To overcome the issue I've been tinkering with those nice GEM/Seasons manager arrows creating a new 67.season.ini folder where I put only 12 tracks, the first 12 of season19, renaming in GPL the various 67.season.ini folders. Off-line it's 100% working, even though in GEM/seasons the first two, Balcarce and Parana, for some reason are listed as "Not Installed (balcarce)" and "Not Installed (parana)". Again, they off-line DO WORK.
BUT! When now I go to iGOR I get a "Could not open gplmods.ini" and a "Last GPL player chosen cannot be found as a player/players folder"... I get to iGOR serverlist but I can join no race ("Cannot find an installed mod to join the race with").

Apologize for being  PC retard... it seems I knew all that stuff was too much for me!

Lorenzo
GPL FOREVER

#58 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 15 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

Hi All,
I was just doing a few circuits of Assen on the server as it was another one I've never raced before.. Decided to stay for the race and do a practice start..

Where is the starter? I couldn't see anyone drop a flag to start the race. I also tried an off line race and the start is in a totally different position to the on line grid used (Off Line start is before the final corner - at least in my download). Have to say I don't really like what I've seen of it so far, a few invisible walls to catch the unwary.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#59 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,718 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

RE: 64 track limits
i don't know why, but for me i just create a new 67season.lni for each season.

RE: iGor and tracks not found.. i fixed my problem with the file indexing of windows (xp PRO)
i went to sierra folder, opened "properties" clicked on ADVANCED
there are 4 check boxes.. the 2d one (for fast searching, allow indexing Service to index this folder)

it asks 'for all?'   say yes.
now..the first time i did this i was down in the tracks folder and that messed everything up, as iGOR couldn't find anything.
so i went back and to Sierra,  UNchecked the box, and ran it again... so my thought was at least now everything is in same setting.
then i did it again, from Sierra folder, CHECKED the box, said yes to all.. and since then - no problems.

RE: problems being found with tracks..
here i'm not sure. how can we tell its one client/user or the track? but lets assume it is a track problem.
posting here, might get a lot of attention, but i'm not sure how often Claudio reads... maybe copy the issue and send it to him via email - and let him know you've posted here also.
eventually we'll get him annoyed enough that he'll post here without the email prodding ;)  

right Claudio? :D
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#60 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 12:59 AM

View PostBo Bruce, on 15 November 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

RE: 64 track limits
i don't know why, but for me i just create a new 67season.lni for each season.

RE: iGor and tracks not found.. i fixed my problem with the file indexing of windows (xp PRO)
i went to sierra folder, opened "properties" clicked on ADVANCED
there are 4 check boxes.. the 2d one (for fast searching, allow indexing Service to index this folder)

it asks 'for all?'   say yes.
now..the first time i did this i was down in the tracks folder and that messed everything up, as iGOR couldn't find anything.
so i went back and to Sierra,  UNchecked the box, and ran it again... so my thought was at least now everything is in same setting.
then i did it again, from Sierra folder, CHECKED the box, said yes to all.. and since then - no problems.

Done. My Sierra folder/properties/advanced/second check box was already checked. Anyway I unchecked it, hit the OK button, yes for all, went to GEM, tested it - not working, as expected [("Could not open gplmods.ini" and then "Last GPL player chosen cannot be found as a player/players folder". I can get to iGOR serverlist but I cannot join races ("Cannot find an installed mod to join the race with")].
Went back again to Sierra folder/properties/advanced/second check box and checked it again/ok/yes for all.
Back to GEM, got to iGOR from there, still no joy [("Could not open gplmods.ini" and then "Last GPL player chosen cannot be found as a player/players folder". I can get to iGOR serverlist but I cannot join races ("Cannot find an installed mod to join the race with")].

Lorenzo

PS About Assen67, at my previous league we raced it once and it went 100% ok, no problems at all. Nice and challenging track I'd add.

Edited by mellilore, 16 November 2015 - 01:30 AM.

GPL FOREVER

Sim Racing Links