I Know It's A Bit Early But....

• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#1 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 14 February 2015 - 07:33 PM

Can I make an early suggestion for one of the tracks for S19?

I've been putting a few laps in at my home GP recently and although short lived as a racing circuit I think it's such a nice track. You are more likely to be passing affordable housing and office blocks rather than the multi million pound yatchs of Monaco but as a street circuit Birmingham (England) takes some beating in my opinion.

Graphics are not up to the standard we have become accustomed to recently I'll admit (But it is easy on older systems). I've had no issues with stutters, screen freezes, CTD's and the like and it has a good blend of long fast  (And bumpy) straights and deceiving corners.

Give it a few laps to find your way around (Not difficult) warm the tyres and it becomes a really flowing drive. Of course there is limited run off but that's true of almost all street circuits but at least it's plenty wide enough for the most part.

I've driven it in P&G and GT Legends as well and while the other sims have much nicer graphics knowing those streets the GPL one is more accurate as far as width, elevation and surface is concerned.

Get it here and give it a go...

http://srmz.net/sub/...prix/index.html

According to the web page it is still the only street circuit to have been established on the British mainland but I'm sure Scarborough (Olivers Mount) might disagree with that statement.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#2 dalejsmith

dalejsmith

Getting through it one lap at a time!

• Members
  • 1,039 posts
  • Interests:Life, learning, Art (making it) and GPL

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:59 AM

WOW, did you see Damon Hill in the youtube vid???? it looks very cool. I will check it out.

https://www.youtube....h?v=js60w87XoCA
Be well

Dale

#3 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 904 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Hadn't watched that one Dale, thanks.. OMG, did you watch the adverts during the commersial breaks.. I remember them well, they did not seem quite so bad back then though.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

#4 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 11:42 AM

Birmingham is a hoot. I've put in quite a few laps there over the years just for fun.
Tho every time I hear this track's name, I have the thought that there is something wrong with the model making it not good for online racing. I'm not sure if that is something I heard at one point, or if I have incorrectly connected those two things in my own head. Some testing may need to be done - also search online to see if there are any mentions of issues. If not, let's use it!

Eric
oAo - Heavy Metal Racing - Division1, group4

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 02:02 PM

I'd love to see Birmingham on the S19 schedule, but given how bumpy and unforgiving the track is I might be in the minority here.
I just wanna race

#6 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 October 2015 - 07:53 AM

For season 19, I expect that we will run Monaco, insofar as we always run it on alternating seasons. I would have no problem adding other street races, including Birmingham and/or Pau.

For races on public roads, I would be interested in Opatija, Parco del Valentino Torino 1955, Bikernieki 1968, or Borovaya 1966.

I suspect that Silverstone might make a return to oAo in season 19, but other airfield circuits to consider are Anderstorp, Charterhall, Snetterton (1964 or 1967), or Sebring 1964.

Dedicated road circuits: Assen, Nivelles, Paul Ricard, or Road America 1995.

I would like to see a proper oval return to the schedule (Enna was nice, but I missed not racing an American-style oval). I am interested in Pocono (despite the minimal graphics). If the TSG wanted to be cruel, I would recommend Phoenix 1967. If it wanted to be downright hateful, I would suggest Langhorne!

Some people didn't like Vallelunga, but I did. In general, although I wouldn't want to see a lot of them, I don't mind having one small, club circuit on the schedule. Something like Tsukuba, Roy Hesketh, Sviestad, or Falkenberg.

Of all these circuits, the only ones I've ever driven myself are Pau, Anderstorp, Charterhall, and Snetterton '67. I don't know whether any of these circuits is a problem with regard to online stability or FPS on old systems, but I've been developing my own list of circuits that interest me and these are just a few.

Michael

Edited by MGL66, 21 October 2015 - 08:02 AM.

#7 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 03:14 AM

I have in my mind an outline of next season. And coincidentally several of your suggestions coincide with mine, Michael.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#8 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 08:41 AM

I have some tracks others may not have....

Oscar Cabalen - a guy in this league built it and shared it with me. He said it is ok to distribute.
Surfers Paradise (not the old IndyCar circuit) trackdirectory=surferpa
Road America - not the IndyCar Racing2 circuit - trackDirectory=roadoman

And what about....
Parana
Balcarce

Eric

#9 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:15 AM

From http://forum.gplrace...dd90adf5e2dce1d a list of problematic tracks.  It's hard to know if some of these were server or connection problems, so you'll have to study the comments and make up your own mind.

Undriveable:
Mallory Park -> on- & offline freezes + server freezes -> undriveable

Problems:
Adelaide 67 -> Force Feedback errors, slight lags
Bridgehampton -> Force Feedback errors, slight lags
Brno65-> heavy lags at start, after start track runs fine
Cerne`s Wood --> MOD 65: Several freezes in qualy and during the race, the server froze. In the rerun again several freezes in qualy and race but the server stayed alive.
Clermont Ferrand 65 -> discos (69 Mod)
Croft 2001 circuit (croftnew) -> freezes
Efexx -> several CTDs and discos in the race (4 out of 16 drivers), some freezes during qualy, 2 drivers also had problems to join the servers (65 mod). There was also a server freeze.
Goodwood -> freezes (66, 69 Mod)
LeMans Sarthe -> discos
Montjuic Parque -> heavy stutters with older PCs (even in standard version), heavy chat lags, freeze danger (69 Mod, 67 Papy)
Monza10k -> heavy on hardware especially on older PCs; even with low patches and few details at s/f; heavy stutters that might lead to crash GPL
Oulton Park 2 -> discos and lags (69 Mod)
Pic du Midi -> few freezes
Sachsenring -> heavy warps and lags, freezes, discos (65 Mod) -> freezes & discos (69 Mod)
SHIRO-KUMA - Polar Bear 2008 -> 69 Mod: Freezes when more than four drivers are on track
Snetterton 67 -> Freezese with 65 and 66 mods and most likely also with other mods.
Spa 98 -> discos and freezes, pit wall is buggy
Suzuka 2000 Beta -> Discos and freezes, servercrash in qualy, massfreeze in 65 league race with 11 victims
Thruxton -> 65 mod server & client freezes
Tsukuba -> offline and online freezes, blackscreens, CTD
Usui -> some freeze reports while practicing during the week (MOD 65), 5 freezes during qualy and race (Monday train, MOD 65), no freezes on the tuesday MOD 65 event (16 ppl), no freezes during qualy & race in MOD 66 (9 ppl were driving), 2 freezes during qualy & race in MOD 69 (8 ppl were driving)
Zeltweg 1970 (Ronnie Bresich versions) -> some discos (69 Mod)

Fixed:
Brands Hatch 67 -> only for fast PCs > 3,2 GHz - fixed high-res version: http://srmz.net/inde...topic=6810&st=0
Hockenheimring 1967 -> CTDs, Freezes, Discos, ... (various mods)
Fix 1: CTD View Fix by Ginetto: http://srmz.net/inde...t=60#entry68218
(SRMZ thread "Fixing buggy tracks - particularly Indy 67")
Fix 2: CTD Cam Fix by Tato: http://srmz.net/inde...355
(SRMZ thread "Crashtodesktop External Camera 1 Or 2")
Salzburgring 1974 -> Freezes (65, 66, 69 Mod) -> Salzburgring 74 FIX
Sandown 68 -> many freezes; problem solved with patch!
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#10 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 10:30 AM

I would hate to drive a 67 F1 car at Pau.  F1 never raced there and it would be very narrow and trecherous, I think.

View PostEFulghum, on 22 October 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Road America - not the IndyCar Racing2 circuit - trackDirectory=roadoman

I’ve never heard of this track and I don’t see a track directory listing with that name at the Track Database.  Is that the one in development (but I thought that its directory name was roadam67)?
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#11 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:45 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 22 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

I would hate to drive a 67 F1 car at Pau.  F1 never raced there and it would be very narrow and trecherous, I think.
I've raced the '67s there once. As I recall, it has all the same difficulties as Monaco, but no worse. Also like Monaco, it has the advantage of not dramatically favoring one chassis over another. So if we want to neutralize the "Lotus factor," Pau would be a pretty good place to do it.

But it does require exercising the same discipline as at Monaco.

Michael

#12 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 03:17 AM

"And what about....
Parana
Balcarce"
I think we're going to start the season with them ( I hope)
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#13 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:28 AM

I'm excited about "new" tracks like Balcarce and Parana, very well made tracks with nice lay-out as well. I have had a few races at Balcarce, and ran the BRM for some laps at Parana. Excellent racing tracks!

Personally I dislike tight tracks like Monaco and Pau a lot. Basically because I don't run the steering hack and use a 270 degree wheel. Then I have to run a smaller strg ratio (10:1 rather then 17:1 I mostly use, at Mexico I ran 15:1 just for the hairpin) that makes the car handling to twitchy for my (relatively smooth) driving style...

Also I'd likely to skip Monaco (esp. at 36FPS) as I get tunnelvision/loss of focus/eyestrain out of the tunnel...hard to describe but it's due to my bad eyes I guess...it's an absolute hell track for me at 36FPS...but since it's such an important F1 track I can understand why it is picked often...

I'm sure Claudio and the TSG will come up with an exciting calender once again! ;)

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 October 2015 - 05:29 AM.

#14 mellilore

mellilore

Fold Art

• Members
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 05:36 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 22 October 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

Snetterton 67 -> Freezese with 65 and 66 mods and most likely also with other mods.

At GPFun League (67mod) we used to race Snetterton67 every single new season as it is a super-safe track (we run only on tested safe tracks).
I can witness Snetterton67 never gave us the slightest issue.

Lorenzo

Edited by mellilore, 23 October 2015 - 05:38 AM.

GPL FOREVER

#15 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,553 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 06:43 AM

Here is my wishlist, without any consideration if they are stable online.

Tandil
modern Kyalami, any of the 3 versions is fine
Barber Motorsports Park
Portland, chicaneless I'd say
Watkins Glen 48
Sears Point, ICR2 conversion
Long beach, ICR2 conversion
Interlagos, the long one
Oulton
Birmingham, as mentioned above
VIR

As for the oval, I'd like a short one this time round, but as long as it isn't Indy or Michigan I'm good.
I just wanna race

#16 MGL66

MGL66

• Members
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 07:28 AM

View PostClaudio Pablo Navonne, on 23 October 2015 - 03:17 AM, said:

"And what about....
Parana
Balcarce"
I think we're going to start the season with them ( I hope)
Absolutely, positively, yes! Pablo is one of us. We should use anything that he creates. The only reason I didn't include them on my list is because they haven't been included in the Track Datablase, so I forgot about them. I would also include Tandil, it's only drawback being that it requires the long distance patch, which I think requres GEM+ to install ....

But Parana and Balcarce, definitely yes. One of these years, we should include his Catalunya as well.

Michael

p.s. Robert -- funny, I specifically like the tight, fiddly tracks like Monaco and Pau. Don't know why. They must somehow fit my personality.

Michi -- although I suggested Pocono, I'd be happy with a short oval, too. I really liked the Milwaukee Mile a few years ago. Phoenix, Milwaukee, or Trenton would be high on my list. Others, like Nazareth, Loudon, or Gateway I'd have to investigate.

Edited by MGL66, 23 October 2015 - 07:35 AM.

#17 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:23 AM

View PostMGL66, on 22 October 2015 - 11:45 AM, said:

I've raced the '67s there once. As I recall, it has all the same difficulties as Monaco, but no worse. Also like Monaco, it has the advantage of not dramatically favoring one chassis over another. So if we want to neutralize the "Lotus factor," Pau would be a pretty good place to do it.

But it does require exercising the same discipline as at Monaco.

Michael

I have raced there. THere are two Monaco-like sections, but in between there is more breathing room. Lots of curbs tho. Treacherous front straight if you get it wrong. Good fun tho!

Eric

#18 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:49 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 22 October 2015 - 10:30 AM, said:

I’ve never heard of this track and I don’t see a track directory listing with that name at the Track Database.  Is that the one in development (but I thought that its directory name was roadam67)?

I have "elkhart", and "roadoman". But I don't think "roadoman" is finished. Is the "roadam67" version finished?
Elkart is the ICR2 conversion of Road America. Looks like shit :P

Eric

#19 EFulghum

EFulghum

• Members
  • 2,294 posts

Posted 23 October 2015 - 08:50 AM

What about these tracks....

Daytona 24hour
Varosliget

Eric

#20 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 1,839 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 23 October 2015 - 09:54 AM

Daytona24H (dayto24h) is an excellent track IMO, could be used for the oval choice as well...IMO ovals simply aren't suited for GPL's tiremodel, I know it's a tradition here at oAo...I'm not sure if at Varosliget or Nepliget I got incredible stuttering...

Interlagos73 I have ran with Groundhog and UKGPL, superb track despite the tight parts (haha)...

@ Michael: it's isn't the tight turns or layout persé, but just my inability running such a low (twitchy) strg ratio, plus my problems with eyestrain at Monaco losing focus...I admit my strong points are fast turns anyhow....also at N2003 fast tracks were my best...and one tends to have favorite tracks that are also your best :D

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 23 October 2015 - 09:56 AM.

Sim Racing Links