Zandvoort Changes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 01:10 PM

I found this video that was done on January 1st. It's a drone lap of the "improvements" to the track. I really, really hope this doesn't ruin a perfectly good track. I think it was fine the way it was, and did not need these "improvements".

The changes I really don't like are to Tarzan, Hugenholtzbocht, and Arie Luyendiijkbocht.  Hugenholtzbocht is a classic turn, or was until now.

https://www.youtube....h?v=XiOeWgX1glU

I hope this is not another example of F1 ruining a track.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#2 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:29 PM

The old layout until 1985 was the best. I think the changes they make were mandatory for holding the race, mostly making the track wider. Actually the late Charlie Whiting  suggested for banked turns, especially the Luyendyk corner. Hopefully Tarzan and Hugenholtz corner keep their charcateristics. Might be two lines there. Also still the best parts remain, like Hunzerug and the superfast Scheivlak.

I'd say the track will improve on it, but still the main straight is quite short  in current config. The only option to pass might be towards Tarzan corner. But I might be wrong and it will be an interesting race. There are some factors like wind and sand as well.

Surely it will be a big orange party, but the race could be boring.

#3 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:31 PM

May be an interesting read:
https://www.motorspo...4644194/?nrt=54
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#4 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 360 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 10 January 2020 - 02:40 PM

I think a lot of the changes made on the circuits is to make it more up-to-date to some safety standards but also to improve racing.

The pit exit is actually right before the Tarzanbocht which is not ideal and potentially dangerous.
That will be moved to the exit of Turn 1. I think the turns Tarzanbocht and Hugenholtzbocht will keep most of its character.
The gravel trap will remain mostly intact, just an escape route on the outside.
I believe the biggest change is that they get more banking so multiple lines are possible.

As for the Arie Luyendykbocht, I for one am actually pretty thrilled by it.
It will be a very unique turn on the Formula One calendar, and I hope it will carry an exciting reputation with it in the future.
Not only that, I think it really adds to the homage to Arie Luyendyk, being banked 18 degrees.
But the main function is to make sure it is usable with DRS open in an attempt to improve overtaking chances, which are very slim in today's machines.

I'll say this: I think  -though the drivers will love the circuit- the 2020 race will be fairly dull, so I do not have high expectations.
I look forward to the 2021 rule changes and hope that with that the circuit will also bloom with exciting races.

Here is a hotlap of a projected version of the track.

"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#5 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:14 PM

Did they change Tarzan? Last I heard that was just repaving and extension of the gravelbed. Hugenholtz looks insane with the banking. On the final corner I withhold my judgement until there is some pavement put down. Summa summarum the main problem was and still is the golf course.
I just wanna race

#6 Bo Bruce

Bo Bruce

• oAo_admin
  • 4,973 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 09:08 PM

one element i saw was the 'potential' for a chicane ...further neutering a good layout.  maybe its an alternate layout, or escape road..just after Hunserbocht... but it reminded me of Monza :(
hApPy TrAiLs

oAo League Admin:
http://oao-gpl.speedgeezers.net/start.html

#7 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 12 January 2020 - 03:08 PM

IIRC that's just the rejoinder from the Club circuit, they can run it as a chicane but I've not seen it being depicted as such in any renderings. Most changes are to the final corner and the Hugenholz section in them.
I just wanna race

#8 Michkov

Michkov

• Members
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 01:09 PM

Bit more on the changes to the circuit

https://www.youtube....h?v=YEY2CT1YlJ8

If Grindbak means graveltrap I'm cautiously optimistic.
I just wanna race

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:53 AM

Yes, grindbak mean graveltrap ;)

Sim Racing Links