Loadcell Mod & Gpl

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 03:33 PM

I just ordered parts to make a loadcell for my brake pedal. I was wondering if anyone has experience with a loadcell and GPL? Is there anything I need to know? I think I remember someone had one and had to push the brake pedal everytime GPL started.

Thanks guys

ZZ
racecar is racecar spelled backward

#2 bobho-in

bobho-in

Old Fart

• Members
  • 1,209 posts
  • Interests:Music, Cars, Yoga

Posted 08 January 2020 - 08:53 AM

Hi ZZ
  I've been using a loadcell brake for close to a year.  I knew from past experience that I needed to have a chair/pedal platform that would allow me to apply a lot of pressure to the brakes without any movement of the pedal set. My current setup is a large piece of plywood. I bolted the pedal set securely to the board. My chair is a small office chair. I replaced the roller castors with some purchased pads and then added some "skid proof" pads. The chair sits on the same board as the pedals.  A chair that could be bolted to the board would work better but I am satisfied with an immobilized office chair.  I didn't want to pay for a racing chair, and I use that area for other uses.
  Actually using this pedal set with GPL has been a love/hate affair for me.  Setup and calibration is very important. Calibration is trickier.  You can not just push the pedal as far as it will go and be done with calibration. The upper limit of travel is never approached during racing. My pedals also include a software and hardware interface to adjust how the pedal feels. I do not feel that I have found the ideal setting for me.  
So now the braking is closer to being more realistic, but the accelerator and steering wheel is still somewhat "toy like".  There is some potential for improved braking and better times in GPL. But it takes a lot of work and some money to get there.
Bob Holada

Edited by bobho-in, 08 January 2020 - 08:56 AM.

Many people dream of success. To me success can only be achieved through repeated failure and introspection.
Soichiro Honda

#3 zzbusch1

zzbusch1

• Members
  • 347 posts

Posted 09 January 2020 - 03:51 PM

Hi Bob, Thanks for replying.
I don't have to worry about pedal base movement, my set is up against a block of wood that comes down from my desk and goes back to a wall. It ain't moving an inch.
I'm most interested in GPL calibration. I've heard it can be "difficult".  I get my parts on Friday, and Saturday I'll put it together and see how it goes.

I'm using my Thrustmaster T3PA pedals for the mod. A link to what I'm doing is here.

https://revolutionsi...diy-guide.1588/

And here

https://www.isrtv.co...-in-pedal-case/

I just post this because someone might find find it helpful.
racecar is racecar spelled backward

Sim Racing Links