13 replies to this topic

#1 GrandPrixYannick

GrandPrixYannick

The Flying Dutchman

• Members
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:GPL, I think?? :)

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:17 AM

Who knew? The track is such a shambles as the city itself.
Freeze in lap 6, and I believe I am not the only one.
"Grand Prix Legends is a drug. I am addicted to it."
- Based on a quote of Harry Schell

#2 ErikHeijden

ErikHeijden

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:39 AM

Terrible first race for me. Practice was a waiting game because of the 5 minute rule. In my first timed lap I got a blue flag for a Lotus behind me who had just came out of the pits(?), second timed lap I set a semi-decent time, and the final lap I ran out of fuel.

In the race my camshaft broke out of nowhere after only 2 laps. The engine was never an issue during the 4+ days of practice on the server.

#3 Iestyn Davies

Iestyn Davies

RustyIesty - Speedy

• Members
  • 726 posts
  • Interests:GPL! :-)
    Music + Sport

Posted 19 October 2019 - 09:45 AM

Roy, Andre and I also out to freezes - leaving Rob & Frank 1-2! :yin-yang:

Not even an unlucky start from Rob can keep their team down :sweatdrop:, but there is still half of the race to go.. :upside:

You make your own luck.. but you also need to be in the position ready to get lucky :P
GPLrank: -75, Monster: -405
oAo: s18 Best season yet!
oAo: s17 Anglo-American Racers?
oAo: s10 Soaring Eagles! :)
oAo: s9 Belligerent Buskers' Brabham! ;)
oAo: s8 Impossible Dreams' Honda!

#4 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts
  • Interests:Life

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:26 AM

Bad luck guys...especially the freezes. That said, early race was fun after my bad start. ;)

Later more.

#5 mcmirande

mcmirande

• Members
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 10:44 AM

I had the good luck of not having freeze and could finished on 7th place.

Erik, welcome to oAo. In the practices before the race I met you and discovered you're very fast!

Congrats to the podium and especially yo John Hammond for his first podium in the D1!!

Cheers, Marcos

Edited by mcmirande, 19 October 2019 - 02:03 PM.

Posted Image Posted Image

#6 Claudio Pablo Navonne

Claudio Pablo Navonne

• Members
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:43 AM

Three freezes in this race (at least that's what it looks like) and another three in this summer's race (winter for most of you) in the CanAm66 mode. I don't think we should choose this nice circuit for future seasons and put it on the "black list". As head of the TSG I apologize to all members of the league and especially to those who suffered the inconvenience.
Member of AtlasF1 GPL/NR2003/Mods/etc.

#7 Bob Simpson

Bob Simpson

The Answer Man

• VOR Admins
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 11:46 AM

Big apology to Farina. I was following on lap 7 and thought that if I could get close at the exit of the final corner leading on to the home straight, I could pass.  In that tricky turn 7 - 8 - 9 complex where the speeds can vary by quite a bit, I got too close and rear-ended Farina and put him upside-down.

On lap 24 I discoed near the same spot - just at the start of the home straight.
Bob Simpson
VOR GPL Race Series Manager

#8 D_J

D_J

• Members
  • 361 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 12:24 PM

Grats Robert , Frank and John for his first podium in D1. Well done.

Commiserations to the frozen and dnf`d.

What a strange race. My Q session was horrible and P11 was not very good. Andrè was however up front fortunately, so my mindset was to chug along in the mid field somewhere and get some coins and let Andrè duke it out with the guys up front. But within a handful of laps I found myself running 3rd with John hot on my heels. I figured it was disco\freeze time cause I didnt see any cars along the track. Not a scenario I had prepared for mentally but I hunkered down in the white whale and fought as hard as I could but it only took one slightly off exit onto the s\f straight for me to loose the position in the end. All credit to John , he didnt let up and I knew he had a stronger pace in the ferrari so once he was passed he could stretch a little gap right away.  

So P4 , still a mind boggling result for me in the honda , except Carlos came from out of nowhere and wanted a say in the matter of 4th place. In the eagle he seemed even higher paced than John in comparison to my honda and it didnt take long til he was within range. He came at me down the s\f straight and I went to the inside like I should have done with John and Carlos overshot the first turns on the outside by only a hair but went off , phew. That gave me a few seconds which held up to the checkered flag. Again , intense stuff from start to finish.

#9 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 02:14 PM

In quali couldn't repeat a sub6 like in pre-race practise, but in my very last lap just edged out Roy's time. That was a steal.

But, got wheelspin shifting into 2nd gear, and the car went sideways. Happily could save it, but lost momentum and spots. André went by, and Iestyn went by on the outside. Back to P4! Iestyn had a bad exit out of the last corner, and I just got enough tow to make a move at the inside into T1. After that put pressure on André, once had a nice run on the backstraight but André held on to his position.

Sadly then the freezes started to come, Iestyn and André dropped first, and then Roy, among others. I did inherit the lead, and most of the race was uneventful, apart from lapping cars. Thanks for being predictable guys! Carlos was a bit warpy tho, so I took no risks. Late race got to the rear of Frank, almost lapping him. But he didn't let me by, I did understand the message and let him finish in the lead lap.

Grats to Frank and especially John for his first D1 podium finish! :3a: Well done finishers, commiserations to the (early) retirements. Hard luck with the mechanicals and screenfreezes guys...

Obviously not the way we want to win...after André, Iestyn and Roy disappearred around me, the fun was gone...it was shaping up for a great race after an exciting early phase.

Attached Files

Edited by Robert Fleurke, 19 October 2019 - 03:04 PM.

#10 snafu

snafu

• Members
  • 1,470 posts
  • Interests:GPL
    F2B (Control Line aerobatic model aircraft).
    Motorcycles
    Crown Green bowling

Posted 19 October 2019 - 04:20 PM

My new favorite track :D

Really disappointing though to see so many fall by the wayside due to a probable instability issue. :(

I had no issues either during online practice in the week leading up to the race or the race itself. I installed Bo's version having previously only had the original install from the GPLTD and Bo's version was a bit prettier. It does make me wonder if while issues can exist with various tracks in some cases there is some weird interaction between a server and client track which can cause problems not seen when running offline? Perhaps Bo could offer his versions for download for each season?

I was not expecting much from today and my trips to the server simply re enforced that belief watching Erik in a Honda and Tris in a Cooper totally destroy my Ferrari PB at will led me to believe I was really slow around here. Had to take some time out with my grandson for the last 15 minutes of qualifying which saw me drop from the heady heights of 6th down to 10th which is probably about where I would have ended up anyway having already posted a time close to my PB.

The flag dropped and we were off, The left side of the grid seemed to struggle around T1 probably because it's harder to navigate T1 on the outside and stay on track, So I immediately lost a position to Dag's Honda  when he went up the inside. By T2 we were all pretty much single file and the race began to settle down.

The 1st bit of excitement came on Lap 3 (I think) when Erik's Honda engine let go exiting the final turn and Carlos, Dag, me and probably a few others behind had to take evasive action to avoid contact. I tried to keep Dag as honest as possible. I could see where I was faster but unfortunately it wasn't in any obvious passing place. I stared at his gearbox for 33 laps before finally he made the slightest mistake exiting the final turn which gave me the run at him I needed down the SF straight. Once past I was able to make use of the areas where I knew I was quicker to ensure he wasn't able to catch a slipstream where it mattered and slowly eased away.

Until reviewing the replay I had no idea which laps people had disappeared on and was shocked to find myself in a podium position after passing Dag's Honda. I honestly thought we were fighting for 7th / 8th.

So, my undercover spies are out currently destroying all copies of the replay file so only the hard copy results remain available for viewing. ;)

Congrats to Rob and Frank  for yet another dominating performance and commiserations to everyone who was unfortunately taken out by the GPL Gremlins.

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.

Fast, Cheap, Reliable. Choose any 2.

Beat it to fit, paint it to match..

1 in 4 people in the world are mentally unbalanced.
Look closely at 3 of your closest friends. If they seem OK it's probably you.

#11 Roy

Roy

• Members
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 04:51 AM

Sorry guys i hade a freeze while leading the race :(
2nd time this season that i hade a freeze while leading.

This happend to me this season.
1st East London freeze while leading
2nd Nurburgring very unlucky racing incident with Iestyn
3rd Watkins Glen engine blow while leading
4th Riems couldnt somehow refuel while leading
5th Mosport i hade to stop the car because i hade problems with shifting down
6th Portland freeze while leading

Edited by Roy, 20 October 2019 - 04:51 AM.

#12 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 06:04 AM

Terrible luck Roy, you should be fighting for the c'ship...I'm quite sure I wouldn't have catched you yesterday...

#13 efarina

efarina

• Members
  • 1,188 posts
  • Interests:cars, beer, and womans. obviusly money.

Posted 20 October 2019 - 11:22 AM

View PostBob Simpson, on 19 October 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Big apology to Farina. I was following on lap 7 and thought that if I could get close at the exit of the final corner leading on to the home straight, I could pass.  In that tricky turn 7 - 8 - 9 complex where the speeds can vary by quite a bit, I got too close and rear-ended Farina and put him upside-down.

On lap 24 I discoed near the same spot - just at the start of the home straight.

no problem Bo :smilie4: , It is a very complicated track because of the amount of very sharp curves that it has and lends itself to that, for a blow from behind, unfortunately it is the other way around and I could not continue, but that's how the races are, and we have to keep going, it's a bit bad luck, :Flush:
Posted Image[img

#14 Robert Fleurke

Robert Fleurke

• Members
  • 2,732 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 02:49 PM

Also terrible luck Enrique this whole season, at many races...I hope you keep the motivation amigo! :)

Sim Racing Links