Race 5-6 Member Feedback Needed.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• VOR Open Wheel Series Admins
  • 361 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 08:42 AM

Ok fellas, when I know what we are going to do I'll make a official race thread  :blink:

As of right now we do not know when Season 4 is going to start, since we are going to run break weeks anyways, our testing opportunities our limited. I personally like CART Factor, because its hard to drive, but I noticed during the race(s) last night that either they were too hard to drive or it was catching a lot of you off guard.

If y'all would want to run CART again, we would run at Loudon (Short Oval) and Cleveland (Airport RC).

But, I will entertain testing F3000. This way we have 3 mods to choose from when deciding on which season to run next year. Many of you will like F3000 over F1 and CART, they are easier to drive and are have much less torque.

The tracks would be between Brands Hatch, Misano, Zandvoort, Macau, Norisring.

If you do want to try it I will need your help on deciding which F3000 mod to use, there are several out there but I've heard there is one version that is vastly superior.

So in your response post either CART Factor or F3000 Mod (Track 1, Track 2) I'll disregard anything posted on this thread past this Sunday.

Edited by TJ Halsema, 15 September 2009 - 08:51 AM.

Posted Image
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

– Bruce McLaren

#2 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:16 AM

My choices, TJ:

MOD : FORMULA 3000
Track #1 : Brands Hatch
Track #2 : Zandvoort
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#3 Paul Schuman

Paul Schuman

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:33 AM

CartFactor
T1: Zandvoort ( :P )
T2: Loudon

#4 Rubleman

Rubleman

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:PC/Console gaming, soccer, motor sports

Posted 15 September 2009 - 09:52 AM

Can someone post a link to the F3000 mod that would be under consideration?
Racing as Alex Winston

#5 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• 361 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:34 AM

View PostRubleman, on Sep 15 2009, 11:52 AM, said:

Can someone post a link to the F3000 mod that would be under consideration?

I dont know any because I've never downloaded one. I'm hoping some other members here have used F3000 before and would know of a good one to use.
Posted Image
“To do something well is so worthwhile that to die trying to do it better cannot be foolhardy. It would be a waste of life to do nothing with one’s ability, for I feel that life is measured in achievement, not in years alone.”

– Bruce McLaren

#6 Wyatt Gooden

Wyatt Gooden

• Mybroga
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:35 AM

We should prob just do another night with CARTfactor, nothing's really wrong with that one. Cleveland and Loudon sounds good to me aswell.

This seems pretty predictable though, guys intially don't want to run the slower cars because they are "boring" (clearly those who say this have never had a really intense awesome race) so instead we use the faster cars and then 3/4 of the field crashes out. Then back to the slower cars, lol. Honestly though the F3's are siiiick for racing. I've had a ton of amazing races back in the day with them... and I'm not making this up but alot of real open wheel drivers really liked that mod too which says something about the way it drives.

Also, F3 is NOT F3000, completely different type of a cars from a defunct series, more similar in speed to the Renault World Series 3.5L cars.

This is what we would wanna use, the Japanese f3 one as it is based off of the F3 euro 2007 which is the good physics, but this is more recently updated with even nicer models and skins.
http://rfactorcentra.....Formula3 2007

I'll leave the voting up to everyone else, just putting that out there.
Race drivers exist in a world that is measured in fractions of seconds...decisions that could be the difference between life and death, are made in the blink of an eye...you do not allow yourself to be held to ransom by emotions, especially fear.

#7 Jon Backof

Jon Backof

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:39 AM

Cart Factor!!!!!!!!!!!! Track choices are ok with me. :beerchug:

#8 Wyatt Gooden

Wyatt Gooden

• Mybroga
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:46 AM

Yeah TJ lets not have another 3 week long filibuster here :lol:  just run what you posted those are good tracks
Race drivers exist in a world that is measured in fractions of seconds...decisions that could be the difference between life and death, are made in the blink of an eye...you do not allow yourself to be held to ransom by emotions, especially fear.

#9 Mike Bennett

Mike Bennett

• GPLVOR
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 02:39 PM

Just curious about the whole oval thing and how big or small of a part they may play in the OWS.  I of course am a huge fan...and this week has really got me Jones'n for more.  
Further to that...assuming ovals have some future...why limit ovals to just CART Factor?  Meaning, why not F3 or F3000 or whatever on an oval?  I haven't run them of course, so I don't know what kind of setup parameters there are...but surely you can make them turn left too?  At the end of the day, you run the car to the maximum...the max doesn't need to be 240...even 180-200 mph racing would be fun I think?

#10 Wyatt Gooden

Wyatt Gooden

• Mybroga
  • 71 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:13 PM

I have run the f3s on ovals before, infact with 30+ grids at simcar (didn't you used to run there?) and it is an absolute blast... yes yellows can work just fine too aslong as they are setup right or we have a marshall in the race.

TJ just wants to get as many VOR guys running on race night as possible, and we figure a North American open wheel league would attract the most interest around here. I also agree about the f3 cars being much simplier to just get in and drive, which I am all for... but the CART base sets that come in the userdata folder are pretty dang good. Not much else needs to be changed, atleast for the road circuits.

I know at Simcar the biggest fields were always in the f3 races no matter what mods we would run for the higher divisions, it just produced the best racing which is what I suggested in the beginning. Cause like you said Mike it doesn't matter how fast you are going you're out there trying to beat the competition not the car itself.  B) ;)

#11 Myrick Hearn

Myrick Hearn

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 06:46 PM

Wyatt's correct.  F3's had alot of participation then they started getting fancy with faster series "CART", odd rules and the participation floor dropped out completely.

F3's were alot of fun and plenty fast on road courses and ovals.

Faster series -> many crashes -> frustration -> participation in the high 30's to the low teens..  that how it went at SIMCAR when I was there..

#12 Rick Adams

Rick Adams

I gotta turn right?

• Members
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 07:50 PM

Cleveland all the way. I don't care what mod we do it in, but Cleveland is a must do!

#13 Leo Menegucci

Leo Menegucci

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 16 September 2009 - 08:20 AM

I personally would stick with CART98. IMHO it is probably in the top 3 ow mods for rfactor, it is not crazy fas as the F1s but it has a challenge factor.

If not, there is GP2 2006 with physics from Warnux - easy to drive, but not arcadeish as GP2 2008 and better graphics; FNippon 2008 - very similar to GP2 06, great racing and tyre strategy for both . My opinion guys  :cc_surrender:

Those above would be in between CART and F3, for those who think F3s are too slow, and by the way I agree Japan F3 is great racing meterial.

As for track I would like mor of the winding stuff like Road Atlanta and Laguna Seca

Edited by Leo Menegucci, 16 September 2009 - 08:23 AM.

#14 TJ Halsema

TJ Halsema

• 361 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

Even though many of you have voted for a second round of CART. In the interest of the league I've been testing the F3 cars on my own time, which I've found 10x easier to drive. Also it'll give the members one more mod to choose from.  After the next test (looking like two mondays from now) I'll hold a final vote, F1 91, CART, of F3.  

We can still race at Cleveland. Loudon I may save for a later date. I saw that some of you wanted winding twisty tracks. How does Barber MP or Lime Rock sound for the other race?
Posted Image

– Bruce McLaren

#15 BoniPiket

BoniPiket

• Mybroga
  • 727 posts
  • Interests:Golf, Tennis, Music, Racing Simulators

Posted 17 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

F3 at LIME ROCK!
And TJ rocks!!!!!!!!!
Posted Image
Luiz De Boni

#16 Leo Menegucci

Leo Menegucci

• Members
  • 140 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 08:19 PM

Barber MP!

Sorry to desagree Boni  :meeting:

#17 Pawel Korbel

Pawel Korbel

• Members
  • 788 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 12:06 PM

Good point Wyatt, from my experience from other leagues, the biggest grids were always in F3 mods.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Sim Racing Links